Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Kodak Tri-x400 135-36 36mm Black and White Film - 10 Pack
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

TOP 100 REVIEWERon March 8, 2012

All that said, Kodak Tri-X remains one of my favorite non-professional films. The grain is very fine, but shows up beautifully in larger prints. Contrast is wonderful on the negatives and transfers well.

At less than $5 a roll, and with 36 exposures, this is a very economical way of shooting film!

Grab a roll, your favorite camera, and head off for a day of REAL shooting!
Tri-X is a tried-and-true black & white film that is easy to process in various ways to get some interesting effects. As a film for standard black & white, it actually is not as good as my go-to film (Ilford Pan-F or Ilford Plus-X.) If you want wide ranges of tones and that silky-smooth, no-grain look for portraits and art shots, this isn't your film. But for fast exposures, push processing and extra-big grain gotten on right on the negative and not in post-photography digital software processing, there's nothing better.

Processing:

1. Standard--the basic D76 Kodak developer and Tri-X using the ISO 400 exposure. You'll see grain and it will be somewhat contrasty, but quite acceptable. If you don't like the grain and range of tones, you can drop down to Plus-X ISO 125.

2. Push processing: this lets you expose Tri-X at a higher ISO and thus use it in low-light situations. You will see much more grain and more contrast. The rule for push processing is to increase your development time by 20% per stop increase. This boils down to 400 ISO, 10 min, 800 ISO, 12 minutes, and for 1600, 14 1/2 minutes. 1600 ISO will be very grainy, but it's an attractive effect when you want it.

If you don't want appreciably more grain but want to process at 1600 ISO, you can use Acufine developer.

3. Underexpose and overdevelop: for high contrast, you can play with this to drop out mid range grays.

This film gives you that photojournalist look and is easy to use in a number of different light situations.
on October 26, 2014
It's nice to see that some things never change...like the good old camera film we used to use back in the day, when color anything was pricey. Since that long-ago decade, I had though that perhaps 35mm camera film, made (if not obsolete) less desirable with the advent of digital photography, would have dropped significantly in price. I see, however, that this is not the case...and that standard film is still costly. Perhaps the fact that there is a reduced demand works to cause higher manufacturing costs? Regardless, there is no doubting that Kodak makes a high quality product. This product was purchased for a photography course my college-aged child is taking, and I can't wait to see the black and white photos.
on November 18, 2014
Yes, black and white photographs do not fade with age and this film is for photographers who enjoy developing their own pictures in the day of digital photography. This film ASA 400 has been a staple since the 60s.
on April 1, 2016
I am taking a black and white photography class in college this fall, and this was the best priced film offered by Amazon. When I bought it, it was $44 for the 10 pack (although when I had added it to my wishlist a few weeks before, it was at $38.) So watch the price, since it seems to fluctuate a good deal - at the time of this review, it's $53.

The tri-x film takes a little longer to develop than the other film used in my class. It takes me 8 minutes to develop, while most other students have a developing time of 7 minutes, and a couple people only need 5 minutes. Had I known that in the beginning, it may have made a difference in my purchase. One minute may not be a lot of time, but with the general fast pace of this class, it'd be nice to get developing done quicker so I have more time to spend in the print room.

Overall, a very good deal. I remain convinced that black and white film photography bests digital manipulation to this day. It may only be my subjective opinion, but I am not an old photographer - in fact I only started taking pictures about 6 years ago, when the digital craze had already taken over the world.

Grab a roll, your favorite camera, and head off for a day of REAL shooting!
on March 6, 2015
This is a classic black and white film, very flexible, shootable at various speeds. I've developed it in HC-110, Rodinal, Dektol (paper developer), Diafine (at 1000) and others. Buying it in a 10 pack is more economical than as single rolls, and perversely, the 100 foot roll is even more expensive as of late.
on September 26, 2015
I received 400 Tmax instead of Tri-X film (as described and pictured). Had I noticed before my daughter took a few rolls to school, I would have returned it. Tri-X is tried and true and what I used 'back in the day'. I'll make sure that's what I receive next order.
Be sure to take a better look than I did and assure you get what you ordered. (I haven't figured out yet if it's the Tmax film or the newer Ilford paper that doesn't have me thrilled with her developing results. Everything's changed in the past 20 years that I've been out of the darkroom!)
on March 5, 2016
Still my favorite B&W film. Processing time is different from older Tri-X so look on the Kodak site for details. The grain is tight and smooth in straight D-76 at 20C. I set my camera to ISO 320 and add 30-seconds to the processing including small tank draining time for perfect #2 density. This process white whites and dark blacks within a frame.
on October 28, 2015
When my daughter needed process film and black and white for her collage course. I got the best. Process film is a dying art and with the digital age no one uses these film any more. But again like me I have my old great film camera I like to use. Glad then would not be thrown away. But again as less demand for the film the higher the price for it. So use it wisely
on December 8, 2013
My favorite black and white film. Extremely forgiving, with a grain pattern reminiscent of classic newspaper photos from the 50s. There's a good reason this is a classic.

Highly recommended.