5.0 out of 5 stars NOT PERFECT BUT TRULY GREAT
As a mechanical engineer I particularly appreciate good design. This camera is loaded with it. It can be used easily as a "point and shoot" camera, or maually by a more experienced photographer.

The 30X OPTICAL zoom lens is spectacular. Sure, it might not be quite up to SLR standards, but the pictures I get while SLR owners are struggling changing lenses...
Published on June 11, 2011 by Mayberry Mitch

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok camera with some deal ending flaws
I looked at many digital cameras online and read many reviews before making this purchase (thanks to everyone who takes the time to post - it really helps!). I purchased this camera because we had a kodak digital camera in the past and really enjoyed it before it broke. It was VERY easy to use (intuitive design and menus), rugged, and accepts many different kinds of...
Published on November 20, 2011 by Jennifer Peterson

‹ Previous | 122 23 2434 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Definately not the camera you want for action shots, January 7, 2012
I bought this camera to replace a ten year old DX6490 because I wanted something that had better picture & video quality in low light. In those respects, I'm not disappointed. I use the camera primarily to take shots of live entertainment, trying to get action shots for a 40 minute set, then shutting it off for 30 minutes and repeating the process twice each night. I use 3-4 sets of batteries to accomplish that so I am always using fresh strong batteries. The battery charger that came with the camera takes 6-7 hours to charge the battery but I invested in a faster charger that takes only about 45 minutes. The camera works relatively well when I first turn it on each time. If I can actually get it to focus in time to catch the shot I want, which is rare, then the picture is awesome. Taking 2 - 3 shots in a row isn't possible due to the ridiculously long time it takes to process & re-focus. The longer I use the camera each night, the worse it gets. By the end of the night I' getting blurs and streaks of light, missing pixels, shots where half of the picture is awesome but the other half has blurs, streaks and areas where nothing was captured at all. Can't tell you how many times I've ended up with pictures of the floor because I've given up, started to walk away and then the camera decides to finally focus & shoot. I usually get 25-50 good shots for every 200-300 I take, then give up and bring out the DX6490. Extremely disappointing. If you're taking an occasional family portrait or have unlimited patience & time to focus, this is an ok camera. Even when taking still shots, the focus time is so long I often get shots of people walking away in disgust rather than the smiles they were showing while they waited for me to focus. The HD features have never worked, even when using a tripod. The camera freezes up every time I try to use the multi-shot feature - I have to remove the battery to shut it off when that happens. The video quality is great, even in low light, but drains the battery rapidly. I've sent the camera back once. They installed new firmware but said there was nothing wrong with the camera. I guess they must have tested it only for a minute or two. I got it back with exactly the same issues it had when I sent it in. I know my issues aren't isolated due to the number of complaints I've seen from others having the same problem. Now with Kodak on the brink of bankruptcy, I'm reluctant to send it back again. Guess I'll use the ten year old Kodak while I try to sell this one for a down payment on one that will actually do the job.

3.0 out of 5 stars kodak Z990, October 28, 2011
This review is from: Kodak Z990 EasyShare Max Camera with 30x Optical Zoom and 12 MP (Black)[Bundle w/Memory Card, Rechargeable Batteries, HDMI Cable and Memory Card] (Camera)
Z990 is definitely a Kodak. Better than cheap, lacking features of expensive. Very, very good photo's; slow to slower reaction to next subject. Can't be turned on (to review)with lens cap on. Not as stable as I wish. Not bad but not quite satisfied. As usual, Amazon convienient and fast.

2.0 out of 5 stars This camera cannot be repaired...., February 22, 2012
This camera is packed with features, but the one concern that I am wrestling with is picture-taking speed. The camera is slow and that makes for a lot of frustration when you are asking people to pose for more than one photo or when you want that perfect shot as you are walking down the streets of New York City. I have a Class 10 card. One recommendation is to reduce the megapixels. I will give this a try.
That said, this camera takes incredibly bright interior photos with wonderful clarity.
The zoom works fairly seamlessly and it is an amazing value to get 30x digital zoom on a camera for less than $200.
I tried the fast burst mode and the camera froze up. I had to give up on it. It may have also been due to the fact that the batteries were getting low.
Regarding the battery life - I bought the bundle for $26.95 that was offered by Butterfly Photo. It included a Vivitar charger and 4 VPower batteries. With this combination, the camera has impressive battery life. I walked around NYC and turned the camera on and off hundreds of times. I then viewed the photos on the camera on the bus ride home. Two days later I was still able to take pictures. So no complaints about battery life with these batteries.

More updates to follow. It is not a fair comparison when stacked up against a Canon EOS Rebel T2i. The Canon comes with a 3x optical zoom lens and retails for around $650 and has impressive picture-taking speed. The Kodak lumbers along, but offers a 30x optical zoom and decent picture quality.
I will provide some photo samples at a later date.
I am going to figure out how to make this camera perform!

March 27, 2012 Update:
This camera is definitely a mixed bag. I used the "Stage" setting option and it worked great for zooming in on people on stage in low light, but whited out the people on stage in my photos of the entire stage. The video option of singing performers was also excellent, but it takes a lot of memory since it's HD. The camera definitely works in low lighting, but is better in zoom mode for some reason. I got some fairly clear close ups.
The camera is also very slow, so you don't really have the opportunity to capture all the action. That said, with the noise turned off, it is completely silent unlike digital slrs, so you won't be bothering anyone if you make sure that the flash and the beeping sound is turned off.

I also have no complaints with the battery life. It is perfectly respectable. I took photos on and off for almost an entire 2 hour show (I left camera on in between photos) and the batteries were still okay at the end of the show. On one trip, however, the camera froze and I was worried that the camera was broken, but this was not the case. The batteries had died and the camera was stuck in "on" mode, but I couldn't turn it off or do anything. That was a little frustrating. I wouldn't recommend that you let this happen if can figure out when the batteries are getting close to dead. I am using Vivitar VPower 2100mAh rechargeables. I think that they came with the Butterfly Photo kit for the camera that was about $24 - a deal!

It should be noted that I had the camera freeze up on many several times after using the zoom lens for a few minutes and zooming in and out. See my update below. It only gets worse...

July - August 2012

Well, after using this camera around ten times or less, the camera started to malfunction. It continually beeped and a blue screen came on stating that the lens cap was on - when of course it wasn't. I tried turning off the camera, removing the batteries, etc. but no luck. This same message came up repeatedly. Finally I packed up the camera and brought it back to Best Buy. I had purchased it online and opted for the extended warranty. Several weeks later I received a call that the camera was not repairable, so I could come in and pick out a comparable camera or get a prorated gift card. So there you have it. A camera that is less than 9 months old and not repairable. I will be heading to Best Buy soon to see what I can get in replacement. Good Luck with this camera and hope this doesn't happen to you. This camera produces some gorgeous photos - at least I have seen many from a friend who has had great results. Sadly, I can't say the same.

3.0 out of 5 stars Has its uses., January 24, 2012
Some pros: High resolution, powerful zoom, electronic viewfinder (in addition to the LCD display).

Some cons: Very bulky, no A/V port, manual controls are useless for videos.

I've had this camera for about two months, and it takes nice pictures and video, but I was looking for something more customizable (with manual controls). Specifically, a camera with customizable video. You can customize the pictures pretty well, but none of the adjustments you make to the settings alter the way the video looks. For example, I can increase the camera's brightness for shooting a low-light subject, but when I start recording video, none of the changes are applied to it. All of the video settings are automatic, so recording something dark won't be helped by adjusting the settings.

I know that the camera is mainly meant for recording still images. Nonetheless, the specification-list for the camera shows all kinds of manual controls, and I am very disappointed that these do not apply to taking videos. What's more, even the user manual has a combined section on taking pictures and videos. This section refers to changing all these settings, even though they can't be used with videos. And by the way, the focus during videos gets pretty crazy, too, sometimes. At least it does when recording basketball games. I suppose it just can't keep up with that kind of motion or depth of field.

Bottom line: Great for pictures (and I do mean that), but poor for videos. But a photographer/videographer's needs aren't universal. So in my personal experience and opinion, this is the wrong camera to get to make videos, unless you're mainly planning to take pictures with it and not rely on it that much for making videos.

2.0 out of 5 stars yellow photos when using flash, December 30, 2011
The camera didn't work out well with flash indoors. The pictures turned out yellowy. Couldn't download photos to computer, I downloaded the software and it didn't work. I tried downloading the software again, it uninstalled the software on my computer but wouldn't download it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kodak EasyShare Max Z990, November 15, 2011
I love my new Kodak EasyShare. It replaces my old EasyShare Z740. It's very user friendly. It has options for manual focus. I bought it mainly for the night pictures and clearer indoor pictures. I have not been disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome macro, November 2, 2011
A. Clark (Smyyrna, DE USA) - See all my reviews
if you just love to explore the close-up world and discover the beauty of all these things only a magnifying glass might reveal, but don't want to get all this heavy equipment a "normal" camera might need, THIS is the camera you want to work with

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera (If You're Patient), December 5, 2012
I bought this camera a while ago to replace one I had previously returned (look up my other review if you're curious about which model that one was). Initially, I was very pleased with it. Right out of the box, it performed admirably, taking great pics. That said:

***DISCLAIMER** I don't consider myself an avid/experienced/knowledgeable photographer. What constitutes a "good" picture in my opinion may look like crap to a pro or seasoned amateur. YMMV

The Good:

The feature set was highly attractive (HDR, panorama, viewfinder- great for sunny days, etc). I found the menu interface functional, if not exactly intuitive. The flash is good, and the LCD screen doesn't leave much to be desired. Overall, due to its faux SLR body, it feels pretty good in the hands as well. In my limited experience, it has produced quality photos in a myriad of lighting conditions. I also enjoy the freedom of its use of AA batteries, as you don't have to sit around waiting for a battery pack to charge if it gets depleted.

The Not-So-Good:

The chief complaint I have against this camera is its speed (or lack thereof). I'm not referring to shutter speed, but the speed at which it captures photos. It's slow to react to the shutter button, it's slow to write the image to the memory card, and it's slow to return for the next shot.

With regard to the initial shutter press, I've tried fooling with AF settings, face detection, flash, and a few others to see if I could get a better response. Nothing seemed to help much. When it comes to writing the photos to the memory card, I diligently ensured that I had nothing slower than a Class 10 SD card (name-brand, at that) on deck. After looking around some camera sites and forums, I discovered that this is a normal aspect of this camera (perhaps one of the concessions made to keep the price point low). Concerning setting the camera up for the next pic, I learned that half-pressing the shutter button would interrupt the standard after-shot-preview and ready the camera for another shot. However, this can be hit-or-miss. I've found that when the camera's busy, it caches your actions and fulfills them later (shutter presses, zooming, menu button presses, etc).

The Point:

In all reality, were it not for the soul-crushing slowness of this camera, I'd be completely and utterly satisfied with it. However, that not-so-insignificant drawback is what has me looking for something else. The final straw came in when, on several occasions, I sought to capture a moment (planned or otherwise), and I simply could not because of how long it would take this thing to fire off a picture. Imagine trying to get a few pictures of kids (whom you know won't sit still for long), and it takes upwards of 10-15 seconds to capture subsequent pictures of a pose or scene. I would often end up having to whip out my phone, which defeats the purpose of having a dedicated camera device. Phone cameras are nice and all, but they can't hold a candle to the real thing.

If you're considering purchasing this camera, be very aware of its speed issues. But don't just take my word for it, read plenty of reviews (and not just here on Amazon). I *thought* I had done my homework, but it's apparent that I missed a page or two.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best camera for the money..has all the features of high line Nikon cameras and then some.., May 6, 2012
Really love the Kodak Easy Share Z990 camera.. Always wonderered why Kodak cameras didn't top the charts.. This camera is every bit as good and reliable as the expensive others.. Glad I bought it..

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted!, April 17, 2012
I won't add another long review of technical info and comparisons. There are many many good reviews for that! What I do have to say is I have been eyeing this camera for almost two years. This camera has a lot of features that I was looking for, and after using it for a few days - it did not disappoint. For the features and the for the price, I couldn't beat it. Maybe there are some quirks and issues, but Kodak is still very helpful but over all I am delighted.

To get the full use of this camera, you really need to put the booklet down it comes with and go to the Kodak website for the FULL user manual to get a complete picture. If you don't you still have a great easy to use camera, but you are missing out on a lot of GREAT features that once you get to know and understand them, they are really easy to use and help you take amazing pictures.

Again, this camera is unbeatable for the price I paid.

‹ Previous | 122 23 2434 | Next ›