Kodak z990 vs. Nikon coolpix L120 -- Recommendations? Comments? Cameras seem to be about the same price and have similar features.
The Kodak has a longer telephoto lens, but otherwise them seem similar.
I'm an amateur.
Any thoughts? Comments?
Thanks.
Mike
asked by M. Henderson on October 12, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 answers
A
They both do have similar features (I've listed several below). The Kodak can take a longer exposure, the Nikon can take a faster picture. The Kodak's zoom is far longer. The Nikon has a lower ISO equivilant setting. The Kodak also comes with rechargable batteries and a budget charger. It all depends on what you're looking for. On paper, other than the zoom difference, they're fairly similar.

Nikon - 25-525mm
Kodak - 28-840mm

Nikon - 720p HD Video
Kodak - 1080p HD Video

Nikon - CCD Sensor
Kodak - CMOS BSI (back side illumination) Sensor

Nikon - 14 MP
Kodak - 12 MP

Nikon - f/3.1-5.8
Kodak f/2.8-5.6

Nikon - 4 - 1/4000 sec.
Kodak - 16 - 1/2000 sec.
Keith Blodgett answered on October 13, 2011
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I'm considering the same two options so thanks for posting. I bought a similar Canon model and am very disappointed. The Kodak was recommended by a friend who said it takes great low light pics and the zoom was tough to beat for the price. Yet, after reading the Nikon reviews, I wonder if I would be happier with quicker response time. Will continue to monitor the responses you get and hope a clear cut winner reveals itself! Again, thanks.
Cammie answered on October 13, 2011
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Scooter says:
"Both have program mode - but I want the full flexibility of A (aperture priority) and S (shutter speed priority)"

And the Kodak has PASM modes. Program, Aperture, Shutter, Manual.
Keith Blodgett answered on October 30, 2011

A
Mike (and Keith),

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate your insight. Mike, like you, I'm a novice and just really enjoy taking pictures and take quite a few several times a month. After searching blogs, listening to and reading all the advice and input (again, like you) I'm waiting to see what prices do closer to Black Friday. I did go look at both cameras again and the big box store clerk seemed to push the Kodak but I think because he was trying to get rid of the ones he had. He mentioned the fact they had been on sale several times over the last few months, (hmmm). Of course, he wasn't able to provide any valuable info that swayed me either way and I left discounting everything the 17 yr old, non-photographer said. I like the feel of the Kodak in my hand but it is hard to ignore the reliability of the Nikon. I'm stuck on the Kodak's CMOS feature, only because I have had disappointing results in low light situations with my Canon and it would break my heart to buy a camera and still be disappointed.
Looking at Keith's side by side comparison and while I don't know enough about cameras to fully appreciate some of the comparisons, but it seems the Kodak is the smarter buy for me.
But then there is the speed and reliability of the Nikon.... (my brain is hurting, I hate being wishy-washy). How much faster is the Nikon? As a novice, would I notice?
Bottom line, I think either camera will be good choice. I hate admitting it but... my fate is in the hands of the retailers. When the price is right, I'll buy one. (LOL, I'm hoping Kodak makes it an easy choice!)
Thanks again for ALL the insight, advice and information. I'll keep you posted!
Cam
Cammie answered on October 31, 2011

A
To be honest as a casual photographer you probably wouldn't notice much of a difference between either camera. Except perhaps in low light situations and ultra fast sporting events. After shooting with the Z990 I honestly think its low light capability is outstanding (hopefully Amazon will let me link to my own pictures here):
http://the-ayrie.net/blog-images/franky01.jpg (all light supplied by the candle in the bucket)
http://the-ayrie.net/blog-images/bb-quarter01.jpg (VERY large, 15/60 watt CFL floor lamp supplied lighting)
And unless you're trying to freeze frame a hockey puck after a slapshot 1/2000 of a second should be more than enough for any every day photography.
These days just about every camera can take a good picture. I fully admit I'm a Kodak fan. I'm on my 3rd and each has taken fantastic pictures.
Keith Blodgett answered on October 31, 2011

A
WOW, outstanding is right. I'm impressed!
I'm convinced the Kodak is the right choice for me.
I was at a JROTC event a few weeks ago and one of the dad's had a Kodak. He too said it was his thrid and he wouldn't buy another brand.
Thank you Keith!
Cammie answered on October 31, 2011

A
I'm glad you found my comments and opinions useful. Hope you get enjoyment out of whichever camera you buy!
Keith Blodgett answered on October 31, 2011

A
Hello folks. Just pulled the trigger at Amazon for a Z990 and remote. The positive comments about low light photos did the trick for me. The HDR ability with the new sensor and "only" 12 MP was perfect, I hope. Spread out those pixels. I have seen such noisy photos from many newish 14mp cameras... I was really looking for a camera that was more conservative with the pixels per sensor size. I take photos of decorated banquet halls before the parties typically begin... and my hobby (with limited budget) has been landscape stuff. And I use a tripod for that.. always. I have used the Z950 compact Kodak for some time now and people always say how great the photos are and are shocked when they learn the camera is a cheap Kodak. The "secret" is time of day, light conditions and the tripod.. and even the timer so pressing on the shutter release button doesn't vibrate the camera. Anyway, my handheld stuff indoors has been sketchy.. I am hoping this Z990 will step it up a notch with its HDR and ambient light abilities.
Mark Edward Thorpe answered on November 25, 2011

A
Mike: Good advice, and you are the first pro I've read that admits this. As an (experienced) amateur, I've always taken tons of shots and cull out about 90%. Way back in the beginning, I wondered how professionals consistently got great shots - and then it dawned on me: they take a LOT of them but nobody every sees the stinkers.
Eusebius answered on December 5, 2011

A
I am also a Kodak fan.Just purchased 2 Z990's.One for me,one for a gift. They are very good in low light.You don't even need a light.The main reason I bought the Z990 was for the Kodacolor,Ektacolor and Kodachrome film effects.I will also be buying a remote for each.
Scott D. answered on December 25, 2011
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›