4.0 out of 5 stars Kolcraft Contours Tandem vs Graco Quatto Duo
Published on September 24, 2007 by K. Neely

1.0 out of 5 stars great concept, poor design
Published on February 17, 2007 by Twinmommie

4.0 out of 5 stars Kolcraft Contours Tandem vs Graco Quatto Duo, September 24, 2007
This review is from: Kolcraft Contours Options Tandem Stroller, Ruby (Baby Product)
I've been trying to decide between the Kolcraft Contours Options Tandem and the Graco Quattro Duo. I needed a double stroller to accommodate my Graco Safe Seat car seat (my son arrives in Jan.) and my daughter who will be 20 mo. when he arrives. It came down to these 2 strollers. The Kolcraft is mostly sold online, but I was lucky to find one in a local baby store in my area and did a side-by-side comparison w/the Quattro using my daughter as a demo (currently 17 mo & 28" tall). Here are my findings:

C = Kolcraft Contours Options Tandem

Nearly equal

WEIGHT
C approx 46 lbs w/seats & 40 lbs w/o
Q approx 39 lbs
Both are heavy, but equivalent

STEERING
C was slightly smoother to push over the Q

BASKETS
C was slightly larger & easily accessible from all sides than the Q

HANDLE
C Foam covered bar, not adjustable for height, 2 cup holders and storage case
Q Molded plastic handle bar, w/multiple hand positions, cup holder and storage case

CAR SEAT COMPATIBILITY
C Fits in front or rear seat, must remove stroller seat & insert car seat adapter frame and use strap from stroller frame to hold it securely in place. Overall, less disruptive to infant when transferring car seat from car to stroller.
Q Fits in rear seat only, no extra equip. needed. A bit cumbersome to install my Graco Safe Seat into stroller, I had to jiggle the seat to snap into place; more likely to disrupt infant.

SEAT SIZE
My child's head hit about 3" below the top of the seats in each model. I've read reviews that stated the seats were smaller in the C, but IMO they are equal.

SEAT COMFORT
C Fabric was soft yet durable. Seat cushioning looked more comfortable, had better quality construction & appeared more durable than Q.

SEATS
C Each seat (back and legs) can tilt back in 3 positions; would be less jarring to a sleeping child.
Q Only back portion of seats recline; 3 positions and only the rear seat fully reclines.

SEATING OPTIONS
C VERY versatile; just press buttons on the side of seat to remove seat to change positions. Children can both face forward, rear or one of each. Very cool!
Q Both seats permanently face forward.

FOOT RESTS
C Built into seat frame
Q Molded plastic attached to stroller frame.
Neither are adjustable to grow w/child's height. My child's feet were 1" from touching the foot rest in the C & hung several inches above the Q. One she'd outgrow, one she might grow into someday - IMO a wash.

LEG RESTS
C was easily adjustable in 3 positions - vertical as in a sitting position, horizontal w/legs straight out, or angled somewhere in-between.
Q No leg rests.

CANOPY
C Solid, durable fabric offers complete eye coverage from sun (if in upright position), smooth and quiet when sliding open & closed
Q Parent window on top and see-thru plastic windows on the side of canopy for child to see out; sun shines in side & into child's eyes; offers partial coverage (can't pull far enough forward), noisy & stiff to adjust.

CANOPY HEIGHT
Equal height. The top of my child's head was of equal distance from the top of canopy in each model.

EASE OF FOLDING
C Must remove rear seat (or car seat adapter) to fold. Requires 2 hands on side of stroller handle bar and 1 foot on basket to fold. Takes longer, but is easy enough to do.
Q Easy, quick & convenient one handed fold.

FOLDING POSITION
C Folds upright into standing position, requires no bending.
Q Folds flat onto ground, must bend down to pick up.

COMPACTNESS OF FOLD
C With 1 seat removed (3 lbs), folds a bit smaller than Q, and even more so if both seats are removed.

LIFTING
Q Has more intuitive grab bars.
C More awkward to lift. Grab handle bar and somewhere else; could use toddler handles on the side frame to lift but it's still awkward.
Neither is easy due to weight, but both are doable.

OVERALL APPEARANCE
C Not just my opinion, but I've read many reviews of others that LOVE the look of this stroller. It feels more open & less crowded than the Q.

OVERALL
It's called Contour OPTIONS for a reason. Lots of options and higher quality features give it a leg up over its competition. It's not perfect as it's slightly heavier and involves more steps to fold (hence the 4 stars). But overall, I think it's the better stroller - this is the one I'm going with!

5.0 out of 5 stars Like a Bugaboo - for two!, February 18, 2007
The Kolcraft Contours Options Tandem Stroller is everything we have been searching for in a double stroller!

I can't stop grinning as I proudly wheel it along!

We have a 2 year old and a 4 month old.

As we had a Bugaboo Frog for our first child, we've been waiting for something just as good (but for 2 kids) to come on the market. In our opinion, the Kolcraft Contours Options Tandem Stroller fits the bill perfectly!

WE LOVE IT!

Our first double stroller was a side by side. It's width & it's weight made it totally impractical. It had to go.....

We were prepared to pay a lot of money for a new stroller, if it was the PERFECT stroller for us. We were considering a Jane Powertwin (triple the price of the Kolcraft Contours Options Tandem Stroller) - which still wouldn't have met all our needs anyway..... So when we discovered the Kolcraft Tandem, we couldn't believe the quality, for such a great price! It's perect for us!

We particularly love:

+ the flexibility in seating options

+ the enormous shopping basket

+ the easy-open armrests to make it easy to get in & out

+ the toddler step - for climbing in and out

+ the drink holders & knick knack compartment (perfect for your mobile phone!)

+ our MAXI COSI Cabrio fits in the car seat adaptor!!

+ the seats are comfortable for our 2 year old

+ it's easy to push

+ it's easy to manouvre

+ it fits through doorways easily

+ it's easy to get up curbs, even with the heavier child in front

+ it's easy to fold up

+ it fits in our VW Golf easily

+ it looks fantastic!

The only negative is that it doesn't come with a rain cover - something that we need because we live in Ireland! We're planning on using our Bugaboo rain cover for one seat, and purchasing another cover for the other seat. Hopefully that will work.....

We bought our Kolcraft Contours Options Tandem Stroller online through Amazon and had it delivered to our hotel in the States when we were over there.

We usually have both kids facing each other and they love it! So far we've had no trouble with leg room. The footrests adjust anyway, to make more room.

At first it felt very long, like driving a train - TOOT! TOOT! But we soon got used to it's length & it's fine....

It's a real head-turner too, because it looks so good and people haven't seen anything like it before!

So we give this product 5 stars! It may not be everyone's perfect double stroller, but it's definitely ours!

1.0 out of 5 stars great concept, poor design, February 17, 2007
***Ammendment: 2 weeks later....I have decided to keep this stroller. I still wish the seats were longer for my BIG baby. HOWEVER, I have found that I can easily switch the seat positions without removing the child (just detach and swing seat around). This is helpful because the seats definitely don't recline well in child facing child position, but if one child gets sleepy, I just swing the front seat forward and then there is plenty of room for each to recline. Also found that it is not as crowded when the temperature warms up and the babies aren't so bundled..good news for summer. It is very easy to steer. Cumbersome to get in and out of car, but doable. Kolcraft could definitely improve upon this, but good features for the money. I would INCREASE RATING TO 3 STARS. : )

_____________________________
I was so excited to find this stroller for my 7 month old twins. It seemed to have the features that I had been searching for (I had been dreaming of a tandem bugaboo). I wanted a narrow stroller with two reversible seats. However, I doubt that Kolcraft ever tested this with real-live children!

Pros:
lots of space when both babies are facing forward
seats are easily removed
great sunshades
great basket
nice colors, style

Cons:
Seats are SOOOO shallow and short- my 22 lbs baby just barely fits

When children are facing each other, the seats cannot recline properly-the foot rests block the opposite seat from moving

When children are facing, there is not enough room for both of their feet!

When children are facing the driver, the seat closest to the handle cannot move properly-the footrest bumps into the basket

Very Heavy.

The seats recline as a whole unit rather than just the back part moving-makes it hard to recline with kids in the seats (in fact, the instructions tell you to remove the children BEFORE reclining- how inconvenient!)

I would recommend a test-drive with this stroller before purchasing so you can see how your own children will fit. It would probably be good for newborns up to 6 or 7 months, but after that, its use will be short-lived. Please Kolcraft, rework your great idea and design this better!!

2.0 out of 5 stars This stroller is HEAVY!!!!, February 6, 2007
Prior to receiving this stroller (but after ordering it), I spoke with a Kolcraft rep who told me this stroller weighs 55 lbs and was too heavy for her to lift in and out of a car. I was set to re-route it back to Amazon when I heard that, but decided to put it together and see if it was as bad as she said. Here's what I found:

The rep was wrong--the gross weight of the box is 55 lbs, but according to the box, the stroller is 46.75 lbs. The frame accounts for all but maybe 6 lbs (the seats).

It took about 20 minutes to put it together with almost no issues. Note, you'll want to air it out as it stinks!!!

It is very easy to remove the seats to change their position--the rear one sits a tad higher, and for larger kids, there might be no room for feet if they sit facing each other.

The seat depth appeared very shallow--maybe 8". The legrests are great and do go up and down, but there are basically no footrests. The kids must be buckled, as it's easy for them to slide out under the bar due to the shallow seats.

The sunshades are way better than shown--they are much longer than I expected and if the kids are facing each other, you can almost cover them putting both down.

The seats don't "recline"; they tilt. Could be issues if you tilt the front one all the way back (think airplane seats!).

The basket is HUGE and very accessible from the back, front and sides. Holds 10 lbs.

There are no snack trays for the babes, but these foam-covered bars (yes, the kind kids like to chew and pick at) which swivel to allow the kid to go in and out or remove completely fairly easily.

The fold is quite compact IF YOU REMOVE BOTH SEATS FIRST. There are rubber grips to lift it, but I haven't used them--I found the stroller manageable to lift, but I am not a small person. Putting the seats in and out is a hassle, but easy enough to do. The whole thing fit well inside my Mazda5 with the rear seats down. Several of us commented that they should have made the handle bar adjustable so that it would be even more compact when folded. As it is, it is a foam-covered bar.

The wheels are plastic (not rubber) but seem durable. The stroller pushes well, but lags somewhat due to it's weight. The front wheels swivel, but stick out and I found I was bumping into things or running into walls because I couldn't judge their width.

There is reflective tape on the 5-pt seatbelts and the fleecy headrests are easy to remove for older kids.

There are a few "odd" infant carseats that this stroller cannot accomodate, but it does accept all Graco and Peg products. It comes with one adaptor bar, and you can purchase another through Kolcraft.

Overall, would I buy this product again? It's definitely an head-turner (for those that are stroller-obsessed like me), but it is very heavy and somewhat awkward. I think that once the babes are past a year-and-a-half, and/or over 27 or so pounds, it won't be as useful. Not worth purchasing if you have older babes as you won't get the use out of it. Nor would the resale be great due to the brand name. If you are a small person, you will not be able to lift it in and out of the car. If you are looking for an "off road" stroller or a jogging stroller, this isn't it, but it would be great for long walks. My son (14 months and 24 lbs) sat in it with his friend (12 months and 22 lbs), and they both seemed very happy and even fell asleep in it. I think the price needs to come down a little to make up for the excessive weight and awkwardness before it'll be a big hit.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a GREAT double stroller!!!, February 11, 2007
This is a wonderful double stroller. I have gone to several different stores to see the full spectrum of what is available. The only two issues that this stroller has versus "some" of the others is no kid cup holder (although there are two adult cup holders) and the weight.

The two real competitors are the Duoglider and the sit and stand (as these accommodate an infant carrier). Graco is also coming out with a Quattro Duo. The Graco Duoglider does have the weight advantage and a one-hand fold, however it is actually larger than the Kolcraft once folded and is no comparison in quality of craftsmanship. Also, it is challenging to get the infant car seat into the Duoglider. You have to cram it into position (which could easily wake a sensitive baby). The baby is also very enclosed once attached. The canopy does not come off and covers a large part of the infant seat. The seats on the duoglider are about an inch or so shorter than the Kolcraft and very lousy quality. Hard...uncomfortable. The Quattro Duo that is coming out is shorter than the Duoglider and the Kolcraft, but is closer in weight to the Kolcraft. Shorter also means it will be more crammed for the kiddies.

The sit and stand is as long as the Duoglider and the seats are crappy. The only reason I considered it was because I thought it would be closer to a single stroller in length...but it is not. The Joovy is horrible when an infant seat is installed, as the toddler can't really "sit". They are pushed forward.

The KOLCRAFT is awesome. The weight issue to me is not a huge deal. As long as you are able to lift it in and out of your car...who cares how much it weighs. Once you have two children, the days of holding your child while putting the stroller into the car with one hand are over. In order to keep your kids safe, you "have" to put them in the car first. So what difference does it make if you can't fold the stroller one handed at that point. NONE.

The seats are incredible. They are different than most but fit larger kids just fine. When facing each other the kids will bump feet...but as long as they like facing each other, who cares. If it is a problem...turn the seats the other way. Kolcraft makes it EASY. The basket is HUGE. The cup holders are generous. The canopies are MUCH larger than the picture shows. The kids have tons of space to themselves. The quality is great. Also, if you read reviews on other Kolcraft Contour strollers, you will find that people say the customer service is outstanding. Kolcraft effortlessly sends replacement parts, etc. (This is from what I read.)

All in all, this is the best, most affordable, front/back double stroller you can get at the present time. The only reason it did not receive 5 stars is because of the weight and the cupholders for kids.

Happy shopping!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Tandem!, March 20, 2007
It's so hard to find a tandem stroller that does it all. I think this one really does, though! My husband put this one together yesterday. Our three year old son loves it (he's 36 lbs and about 3'3") and so does our 9 month old son. We love it too. The only thing that I don't like about it is that it takes up about 1/3 of the space in the back of our Chevy Avalanche. That's a LOT of space. It's a little heavy to lift, but not to push. It really does seem like the cadillac of tandem strollers. Well made and has plenty of storage room. Best of all, it has TWO parent cup holders that fit just about every cup we own. I give this stroller five stars for the following reasons:

- Easy to push

- Kids seem VERY comfortable

- Tons of configurations to fit every need

- Came with an adapter for infant seat

- Great storage

- Snazzy look

Happy shopping!

5.0 out of 5 stars This stroller ROCKS!!!!!, June 7, 2007
My oldest son was only 6 months old when I found myself pregnant with my second, so a double stroller was going to be a must!!! I purchased a jeep double stroller second hand thinking it was the one I wanted. After my second arrived we took it out for our first test drive - it stunk!!! My oldest son was 14 months when the baby arrived & he's a big boy - 36 inches tall & 32lbs. The jeep stroller wouldn't turn with any ease with both of them in there. It was impossible!!! So we sold the jeep & started hunting for a new one.

I finally decided on this one. I wasn't sure since I had to order it without having seen it or getting to try it out first, but since it can be returned to the store without fees & I got free shipping, I felt it was worth a shot.

It arrived very quickly & I put it together & took it for a test run around the living room! WOW!!! It turned so easily even with the weight of my son! I've been using the stroller for 4 months now & it's great.

It's so versatile with all the options of the ways the seats can go!!!

So far we're still using just the 1 seat & car seat adapter, but I can't wait to try out both seats. All the moms in my mommy group are jealous! I would definately recommend this to anyone. It even works well with the size of my son. I read other reviews before purchasing it & I don't see the problem. My son is very big for his age, but he fits fine & loves riding in it. The seat & leg rest fully recline so he can nap very easily.

There's tons of room in the basket for stuff, has 2 cup holders, & even a small covered compartment for your keys or cell phone. I have a huge diaper bag & have no problem getting it in & out.

The only complaint I have about this stroller is when getting it out & putting it away. You have to take the front seat off to collapse it. It's not difficult by any means, just another step. It's just a little more time to get it out & put it away. I love this sroller for long walks, trips to the mall, the zoo, or a day at the amusement park. It's just not ideal for hopping in & out of the car for quick trips in & out of stores.

This is a large, bulky stroller & a little heavy, but it's wonderful - just write it off as weight lifting!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Heavy, but I don't have to join a gym!, June 6, 2007
I searched the internet over and over again before deciding on a tandem stroller for my children, who are 11 months apart. I wanted something that would take my Peg Perego infant carrier from my first baby, because I didn't want to spend a fortune on a new carrier on top of a new stroller!

I didn't want a Break-o (aka Graco) because, although I never owned one, my sister-in-law and several friends do, and I think they're cheaply made and very common, both in looks and in function. I wanted something special.

When I found this,stroller, I was very intrigued, and I hemmed and hawed before making a decision. I didn't want to buy a stroller sight-unseen, but I had little choice. This had everything I wanted - it would take my Peg seat, it had great looks, lotf of function, and it wasn't everywhere I looked. I took the plunge, even though reviews said it was heavy and huge.

I agree that this is the Cadillac of strollers - in quality and size. It's huge. My husband calles it the Hummer. Much longer than any other double I've seen, with the exception of the Peg Perego Duette (that's the one where the seats come on and off and it has a lot of configurations, like this stroller. Only difference - no stadium seating and it's about $400 more than this). It was simple as pie to put together - I did it in about 45 minutes. My large 14-month-old fits comfortable, with coat and without, and my infant in her carrier is a happy kid. She can face forward of backward, too.

It's huge, but it fits nicely in the trunk of my 2003 Camry. There's room for some other small things - I can't take another full-size stroller, but I can fit bags, groceries, one of those foling chairs that fits in the bag... And it's not sooo huge and unweildy where I can't lift it out of the trunk and put it back myself. Could it be lighter? Of course! It's mammoth! But it handles beautifully on pavement, in malls, and on grass.

All in all, I am happy I bought it. Will I still get a side-by-side when my newborn is a little older? Of course! But this is a good option (ha - no pun intended) for what it is and a good value, too.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good, April 17, 2007
Our children are 17 months and 2 months so a double stroller was a must. I looked at EVERY double stroller in the world and chose this one based on its versatility, and we have not been disappointed so far. The many seat configuation choices are GREAT. Our daughter loves every position we've had her ride in so far. The basket underneath is HUGE and the 2 drink holders is something we've never seen on even more expensive brands. The stroller handles well and we have a Britax infant carrier and it fits in the infant seat carrier portion of the stroller. This stroller really gives you the most bang for your buck! If I had to point out its negatives I would say:

It's a little heavy, but it's a double stroller, what do you expect?

It's a little big...again, what do you expect. We have a Hyundai Santa Fe and the stroller takes up the whole back when we put it in the car...so just beware, I'm not sure it would go into a tiny trunk.

Other than that, we're loving our purchase, we would buy it again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pros and cons, February 9, 2007
We were looking for a stroller that would accomodate an infant carseat that wasn't huge. This stroller arrived yesterday, it required assembly but not many tools. The wheels are plastic and not rubber however the seats look durable.

Pros:

I love the way the seats snap on and off so easily but look more secure than a Phil and Ted's attached seat.

The infant adapter is easy to install also.

The options of seating arrangements.

Steering seems to be easy and controlled.

5 pt harnesses on both seats.

Large basket underneath that is accessible, weight limit 10 lbs.

Sun shades seem pretty good.

CUP HOLDERS!!

Handles in back to help you pick it up or for an older child to hold on to.

Folding is pretty compact, can fold with both seats on but more compact with one off--there is space and a strap to secure the second seat in the stroller when folded.

Stand alone when folded.

Adjustable foot rests.

There are little pouches to store the straps (that keep it folded compactly and are used for the universal carseat attachment) which is great.

Cons:

A bit on the heavy side but not unmanagable, comprable to Phil and Ted's I think.

When both seats are facing eachother there isn't a ton of legroom, they will be kicking eachother.

Seats tilt vs. recline--but handle to tilt them is easy to use.

I haven't had a chance to use this much except for around the house but these are intial impressions--overall I think it's a trendy and affordable alternative for a double stroller that folds more compactly then most and isn't HUGE!

I second the suggestion that the handlbar retracted for a more compact fold.

ARRAY(0xa75976f0)