5.0 out of 5 stars Well made get, easy to use- easy to install.
We have two of these gates in our house. I installed both of them. The gates, when installed properly work very well, and are very strong.

Published on December 6, 2008 by Dan J. Reed

2.0 out of 5 stars Too heavy
This gate is VERY heavy and difficult to open one-handed (like while carrying an infant.) In addition the weight of the gate makes it difficult to install. Ours keeps falling off the wall at the hinges despite our best efforts to install it securely. Wouldn't purchase again.
Published on November 25, 2009 by R Lucas

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made get, easy to use- easy to install., December 6, 2008
This review is from: Kolcraft Simple Shut Safety Gate - White (Baby Product)

Our son has been crawling and pulling himself up for a few months now, and he is finally starting to really cruse around the room. These gates do a good job of keeping him from going up the stairs, and from falling down to the next level of the house. At this point he climbs up on the gate, and bounces and shakes it... its not going to open little boy!

The gate installs pretty easily. You will need SOME form of mechanical aptitude to assemble and install them properly. The gates come with hardware for mounting into a solid door frame, NOT DRYWALL! I would never install a hardware mounted gate into bare drywall, it simply will not be strong enough.

If you do plan to use this with drywall, add a 1" wide by 1/2" deep furring strip so the gate has a good solid wood surface to mount to.

The instructions are clear, it comes with cut-out templates that can be taped to the wall, so drilling holes is a no-brainier. It works well in our old house with crooked walls.

All you really need to install this is a good cordless drill (or screwdriver) and about 30 min, and a Phillips head screwdriver. I do not recommend your 9 month old "helps" you at all.

The gate opens well, and with out much difficulty. One key selling point for us us the fact that this gate does not have a "base/trip bar" that most other gates have. We don't want grandma and grandpa (or us!) falling as we carry the baby over the threshold of the gate.

The gate swings a full 90 degrees in BOTH directions, which is great!

To open the gate, you must swing a spring loaded latch out of the way, and then lift the gate about 1/2" of an inch.

Yes, there is a metal "bar" that is what engages the latch, but I picture it hard for a child to run, full speed and hurt themselves with this gate.. And, if your SMART, you can adjust the gate to the point where this metal bar only "sticks out" about 1/2"... hardly "eye gouging".. The directions point this fact out! RTFM people!!!!

The gate also does a fantastic job at keeping our dog in check in her space when we are gone out of the house.

The gates clean finish, and ease of use, and good quality construction make this a solid buy for us. I prefer it over the other brand gate we have (KidCo).. these gates are easier to use, were cheaper, and have a better finished "look" to them - they are also easier to open. It opens one handed, while holding the baby (me and my wife can do it! so can you!).

-Dan

5.0 out of 5 stars Love This Gate!!, June 8, 2008
C. Sparks (Forsyth, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kolcraft Simple Shut Safety Gate - White (Baby Product)
We love this gate. It is easy to install and easy to use. We tried the wooden gates that have the adjustment bar but we kept tripping over it when we crossed into another room. This gate gets the job done for an affordable price.

4.0 out of 5 stars easy to install and sturdy, but with a "catch"., April 22, 2007
I bought this gate to keep my dogs away from the front door. Its strong and was fairly easy to install compared to other gates i have purchased, with multiple adjustment options for uneven walls. The problem is usage... my neighbor's kids come through it many times a day and can't close it due to the subtle but tricky lifting effort required to lock it. The outcome is that they are rough, banging it shut to close it. So with only one week of use, it needs to be readjusted which is done with a little tool that tightens some bolts on the hinge but I am tired of it already. Maybe with adult-use only in a house wit human babies and no young kids, it would be great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple, Sturdy Gate, June 3, 2009
Pete (West Chester, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kolcraft Simple Shut Safety Gate - White (Baby Product)
I searched extensively to find a simple and affordable metal gate for the bottom of our stairs to keep our toddler out of harms way. I wanted the hinges to mount directly on the wall and allow for an install that doesn't have to be at a perfect 90 degree angle since the banister wasn't aligned with the studs. I used a different longer set of screws to mount the hinges to the studs for extra stability, rather than the ones that came with the gate. Overall, we are very happy with the gate - toddler-proof, fairly easy to install, sturdy, attractive, and easy 1-hand operation.

5.0 out of 5 stars keeps the dogs & the grandkids out, May 21, 2010
This review is from: Kolcraft Simple Shut Safety Gate - White (Baby Product)
purchased 2 of these the grandkids haven't figured them out yet, have other gates a cloth one and the foot operated which they have either figured out how to open or how to climb over, the oldest being only 2, but a tall 2. They have managed to break the weld on the outer edge on both, my husband rewelded one of them the other I left so the small dogs can get to there water. The kids can't squeeze through, but be prepared. These are heavy use, so would still recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does it's job well!, December 30, 2009
This review is from: Kolcraft Simple Shut Safety Gate - White (Baby Product)
I like this gate. It is not high-tech so not the smoothest opening and closing but it does it's intended job for a very reasonable price. One thing I really like about it is you can just easily lift the gate from the attachments to the wall. It is nice when we have guests to just easily remove the gate rather than teach them how to open/close.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too heavy, November 25, 2009

5.0 out of 5 stars Kopcraft simple shut gate, May 18, 2009
This review is from: Kolcraft Simple Shut Safety Gate - White (Baby Product)
great gate easy to operate and stil does a great job stopping our little one

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Gate.., April 2, 2009
This review is from: Kolcraft Simple Shut Safety Gate - White (Baby Product)
I have 2 of these gates, I've owned one for 2 years now for the top of the stairs, and I just purchased a second one about 3 months ago for the bottom.. they are sturdy and of great quality and very easy to operate, for an adult of course, hard for the kids.. The installation is a little tricky, but once the gate if put in place, it works wonderfully, and definitely keeps the babies out of trouble..

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for keeping small children contained, March 1, 2009
This review is from: Kolcraft Simple Shut Safety Gate - White (Baby Product)
I bought this gate about 2 weeks ago to keep my kids out of the kitchen, I needed a gate without a step over bar and this was the first one I saw. I LOVE it! My husband installed it after I used the template to mark the doorway and it was a cinch to get installed. Yes you do have to lift the gate and push to open it, but that keeps my kids from being able to open it, which is what it is supposed to do! I run a home daycare so this is perfect! I am placing an order for a second one for the hallway now.

Kolcraft Simple Shut Safety Gate - White