5.0 out of 5 stars It's all there!
Published on August 29, 2007 by Terri Mcintyre

3.0 out of 5 stars Consider Her Website Instead
Published on August 17, 2010 by K. Carson

3.0 out of 5 stars Consider Her Website Instead, August 17, 2010
I chuckled that another review mentions "if you're an academic..." because I am, and I have to say, this book is not very well written at all. It's rambling and the grammar is poor. It is full of stream-of-consciousness anecdotes about the myriad of ways in which Kombucha can make you feel great and heal all your ills. Much of the book reads like a snake oil sales book, though the authors seem self-aware on this point.

The authors hearts are certainly in the right place. I can tell just reading this that they really want to help people and spread the word about kombucha, and I really appreciate that. They go to pains to collect and present some academic information on kombucha. The dearth of information is not their fault, and they do make an effort to present what little there is. As a chemist and chemical engineer, I found some of their data from Cornell to be interesting, helpful, and factual. I also enjoyed some of the anecdotes. It's interesting to see the collection of personal experience.

If kombucha instructions are all you're looking for, check out Betsy Prior's website, because you can download a printable version of these instructions for free. I love that the instructions (both in the book and online) are very visual, mostly done in pictures and diagrams. I'm dyslexic, so this is actually a big plus for me. They're clear, concise, and they make for great kombucha.

[...]

Long story short, I feel a bit guilty writing a critical review of this book because the authors seem so darn nice. I rather wish I could have edited this for them before it went to print. Despite this, I trust Betsy Prior and her methods. The woman knows what she's doing when it comes to making kombucha, and you can trust her to get you started safely and well.

Addendum:

If you're interested in my own kombucha experience, I am very happy with it. I drank it through my pregnancy because it was nice and sour and refreshing and a little effervescent. It made a good stand-in for alcoholic beverages when I couldn't have any. I found that it keeps my digestion going well. All my mommy friends complain of terrible constipation during pregnancy. I didn't have that problem at all, and I think I have kombucha to thank (though it's hard to prove it). I have shared the drink with my daycare provider who is suffering terribly from IBS symptoms. I told her to drink a little before and after meals. She claims that it stopped her diarrhea in its tracks. So there you have it! Turns out I have a snake-oil cure story of my own. I have my own theories about probiotics quelling overactive immune systems. Maybe introducing harmless yeasts and bacteria just gives your body something to fight other than itself. All speculative, but I think about it a lot. This may not be a miracle cure, but I think it's definitely worth a try if you're suffering from digestive upsets or any kind of allergies or other autoimmune problems. No promises, but this is ancient, healthy stuff, so you might as well give it a try and see how you do. The flavor is tart, and a bit like apple cider and vinegar. I like it. If it tastes too strong to you, try mixing it with fizzy water and a dash of juice..

5.0 out of 5 stars It's all there!, August 29, 2007
Pryor's book is well-written and organized, making for easy use and interesting reading. I bought the book as a gift to a friend who shared her kombucha "mushroom" with me. The mushroom had been given to her and she wasn't sure how to make or use it. Now we're both benefitting. I mix the prepared tea with apple juice (1 part tea to two apple). It tastes deliciously like apple cider and I feel energetic after drinking it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely helpful; tells how to do it safely, well written, June 1, 2006
Betsy is the person who brought the Kombucha into the United States in the early 90's. She's the expert. In her book she tells you all about it. She gives instructions exactly how to do it safely and how to get the best "tea" possible. The text is comfortable to read. Kombucha is not for smokers though as it tries to "houseclean" the body so smokers can't use it. Kombucha is something you slowly build up on so start with 1/8 cup and then slowly build to 1.5 cups a day over a period of a couple of weeks. Muscle tone, skin tone, energy, etc. will be much improved. A person feels better with it as it is nutrition in a glass. Generally you drink it on an empty stomach like mornings. You "process" it for a length of time (a week+)until the solution has "developed" to the ph needed. You need to use it up before it has gone to far past its best ph level; it can be too tart after it has aged to long. It requires a "start" and a piece of kombucha to begin--green tea/black tea bags, white sugar, pure water and a clean clear glass container, with some muslim on the top to protect it. That's the beginning of the story...Read the book. Try it. Its incredible.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Miracle Tea, easy to make!, March 8, 2007
Roxy (Minnesota) - See all my reviews
I am so pleased with this book! Laurel Farms has been checked out by the government and passed every test!

The receipe is simple and the book tells you how many different things this tea has healed for other people.

Even gettting gray hair to turn back to its natural hair color. The tea rejuvenates the body and lets the body work more efficiently. I can't wait to make more and more tea and get my friends to drink it! Its naturally addictive!

5.0 out of 5 stars best book on kombucha mushroom, April 29, 2009
I have been growing these mushrooms for years and was looking for some recent publication on this subject. This is a great book and has a very simple reciepe for cultivating kombucha.

5.0 out of 5 stars healthly tea, May 28, 2013
Excellent book showing how to brew a very healthy product. The tea really does help one to feel better instantly. The history of the tea was very interesting and all the products necessary to begin to brew this life balancing tea are offered in the book. The price for the "mother" is nominal and all in all, it is very valuable knowledge for a healthy body.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, August 24, 2012
Janis (Ventura County, CA) - See all my reviews
I really like this book. The author seems very knowledgeable is very specific in her instructions which is great for beginners like me. It was interesting also to read the background info about kombucha and the other uses the tea and extra scoby's can be used for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book!, August 19, 2012
If you are thinking about making your own Kombucha, this book is a great resource! I found that using her book helped me maximize my skills for making it. The recipe is by far the best I've found. Plus I really believe she knows what she's doing because G.T. Kombucha (the company that sells it in health food stores) recommends her book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Kombucha Phenomenon, August 8, 2011
This review is from: Kombucha Phenomenon: The Health Drink Sweeping America : The Tea Mushroom Handbook (Paperback)
The book itself came in great condition. The content was a bit weak. I thought I was getting Betsy's other book, but I decided not to send this back. The testimonials were not as amazing as I had hoped and some were poorly written. The rest of it was okay and I did learn some background history of the Kombucha mushroom as well as how to make the tea safely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Appropriately Titled, May 16, 2011
This book is the one to get if you're interested in brewing your own Kombucha Tea at home. I didn't realize that Kombucha has been around for so long. It really is a phenomenon! I have been giving away scoby's on craigslist and recommending this book to every person who picks one up. It's easy to understand and the pictures are helpful. The price is right too!

Used & New from: $0.27