Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

on May 25, 2010
Pros: With the Komelon MK6012 Meter-Man 19-Inch Measuring Wheel, Komelon has answered most of the deficiencies of previous measuring wheels we have used.
* The 19" diameter wheel gives the ability to traverse rougher terrain more comfortably and accurately than smaller wheels, yet it is not so big as to be unwieldy in its size.
* It is made of durable, light-weight material.
* The color is both attractive and provides extra visibility.
* The counter is gear driven from the axle providing several advantages over the clicker type:
--> It provides more accuracy measuring in feet and inches.
--> It has an easy one push reset to zeros (no winding).
--> There are no "clicker" pins sticking out of the wheel itself to fall out and be lost or damage nearby items.
--> Because the counter is not near the wheel surface - the wheel doesn't jam up when a small pebble is picked up by adhering to wetter soils.
--> It counts to 10,000 feet instead of just 1,000.
--> The counter works in reverse if you need to go back to a point that was passed.
--> The counter is silent.
* The wheel turns very easily.
* The handle shaft telescopes for storage - instead of folding, making for a stronger connection - as folding handles are problematic being a weak point at best, and prone to complete failure because of breakage or lost parts.
* The handle grip is comfortable.
* It even has a hinged kickstand to minimize damage to the device while making it easier to use.
* Measures in smaller units (inches) than the clicker style measuring wheels. Metric version available as well.

Cons - After a few years of use on the three units purchased:
* Smaller units are inches - need tenths of a foot for Civil work.
* Kickstand easily breaks apart and becomes useless.
* Does not work at all in certain temperatures below freezing - even pulling from warm dry vehicle at -40F it stopped working almost immediately.
* The counter unit made of mostly plastic inside and out are not durable... One units counter enclosure separated at the seam and all the parts fell out.
* Counter is not sealed... over time it skips or mis-counts and makes noise. Spraying some lube on moving parts and inside counter unit seems to fix it for a time.
0Comment32 of 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 12, 2013
Our pastures were recently chisel plowed so it's pretty bumpy, but the Komelon had no issues with it. I especially like the fact that the kickstand is movable. I had read reviews on other products that had a stationary kickstand and people said it would catch on stuff, so I'm very glad I found this model. The large wheel is great and the extendable handle works well for both me (5'6) and my husband (6'4).
on February 11, 2013
Arrived promptly. Out of the box perfect working order. Ran a calibration over a measured distance and it was accurate within 0.2%. Can't get much better than that.
on September 8, 2011
Great product, Have used Komelon for years. This was a great addition to my arsonel of wheels.Covers any terrain with ease including mud and tall grass due to the internal clicker. Extremely accurate. Did not like plastic kickstand at first, but proved to be great due to the flexibility....less breakage potential. Highly recommended for anyone in the Telecom industry!!!!
on July 17, 2014
I bought this with the extra large wheel figuring it would be more accurate over rough ground. I expected to love it.

But when I went to use it last night, it seemed to be reading differently than I expected. I got out a long measuring tape, and lo and behold this thing measures very short. I tried different surfaces (including very smooth and flat) and no difference. Grossly short measurements.

Is off more than a foot every 30 ft, so I was getting really bad readings at 400+ ft which is what I bought it for.

I have no idea if it's just a bad copy, but I'll order a different brand to replace it.

I am really glad I checked it because I bought it to measure the distance for the installation of a new transformer at around 500 ft.

update: I got to wondering if maybe the wrong size wheel was attached to the counter. Maybe wheel too big and reading low?
on April 6, 2013
I purchased this wheel to get an accurate account of my walking distances that I have established within my neighborhood. My main reason for selecting this particular model was the good reviews it received as far as accuracy and features -- plus, and equally important, the wheel size accommodates longer distances better than a small wheel version. I recommend this measuring wheel as it appears accurate, is easy to use, and seems to be well made. I still much prefer the large wheel for distance measures as it adapts to terrain easily (e.g. negotiating ruts, bumps, holes, ridges and curbs). The wheel rotates less frequently than smaller wheels so the device doesn't have to work as hard, thus, less wear and tear.
on May 22, 2014
I am really, really sorry I ever bought this unit and would never buy one again.

Problem #1 - When you hit the reset button to zero it does not lock the counter until you begin rolling the wheel so what happens is after you reset the counter and go to set the wheel down where you want to start the wheel and counter either roll forward or backward which means you wind up having to bend down to hit the reset button again to zero before you start to measure. Reset button should at the least be located on the handle.

Problem #2 - The handle unfolds and locks into place. The problem here is that the plastic hinge is made very cheaply. My hinge cracked and broke and now the handle is in 2 pieces, cannot be fixed and I can no longer use this at all.

Problem #3 - The kickstand. Before the handle broke the kickstand broke and no longer supported the unit. It is made of very thin plastic and one of the support pieces snapped. I tried duct taping it together but that did not work at all.

If there was a rating of zero stars on Amazon that is what I would give this product. Do yourself a favor and stay far, far away from this tool.
on November 27, 2010
Good product. Works as described. Would have given it 5 stars but handle length adjustment occasionally loosens up shortening the handle while you are walking with it.
on October 18, 2013
I bought this for my dad who has been in construction for over 50 years. He uses such a measuring device all the time. He had one with a small wheel but it didn't work well outside when doing ground measurements. I got him this one with a 19" Wheel and he flipped out. He has already used it several times on jobs and he loves it. The large wheel takes very accurate measurements over rough terrain and the display is large and easy to see. All the other subcontractors ask him where he got it from.

The only negative (which is very minor) is that once you install the handle it will no longer fit in the box it came in. It would be nice if it would fit in the box to protect it when bouncing around in the back of a pickup truck.
on October 18, 2013
Got it right out of the box and took off with it. I do a lot of walking in the country side behind house for exercise and was curious of how far I actually walked. I made trails through fields, woods, etc. and the Komelon wheel did super! The only negative thing about it was the kick stand broke within the first two miles of using it. I don't really need the kick stand, so no big deal to me. Other than that, it was sturdy and accurate even through plowed up cotton fields, high weeds and rough terrain. Highly recommend it!