Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

on December 5, 2011
I am very incredibly pleased and happy to report that this Komputerbay 16GB (2x8) PC3-10600 10666 1333MHZ SODIMM 204-Pin memory works in my Early 2011 15-inch MacBook Pro! Have had it running all day, no problems, memory has tested as fine, no heat or other problems. Very glad I purchased this, and much cheaper than all other 16GB options. I don't know how Komputerbay does it, but very pleased that they are offering quality at an affordable price! Thanks for a great product and super deal!Komputerbay 16GB (2x 8GB) PC3-10600 10666 1333MHz SODIMM 204-Pin Laptop Memory 9-9-9-25 A steal at $152 no taxes and free shipping!
review image review image review image review image
4444 comments|36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 31, 2012
I've been in the Computer software, hardware, and service field for 15 years. I've worked on and repaired computers since I was 14, so I know quite a bit. This includes how to properly test new hardware. One of the first things you do with memory if you care about your data (and don't have a board that supports ECC memory) is to test the memory using a tool like memtest86 (google it) for at least 24 hours of continuous checking. Do not be fooled by some of the people that post on here saying it works, and that they have no problems. I'd bet dollars to donuts they plugged the stick in and booted their computer. Read on:

I received the memory yesterday, so as soon as I got home, I put it in my Dell Vostro 3750 work machine, and booted it up. BIOS shows 16GB. Great. Windows Boots? Awesome! memory looks great right? not so fast. I Restarted computer with Memtest86-4.0a cd in, and began the standard full range test. I left the machine going, and before I went to bed, it still showed 0 errors after 4 hours of testing. 20 more to go though. When I checked on it again this morning, it had ran for 13 hours, and there were now 8 errors. The errors weren't huge, (say FFFF vs FFEF) for a value, but errors are errors. For those of you that aren't tech savvy, or don't know what this means, or why you should care, here's an explanation:

Just because your computer boots with memory in it and looks like it's working ok, doesn't mean your data will be ok. Think of it the game telephone. you tell someone something. Lets say you tell that person your favorite color is red. Then they tell someone that same thing. This goes on say, for 20 people in a row, until finally the 19th person comes back and tells you what the person before him said, except when you hear it back, they say "your favorite color is green". Clearly this is not correct, as your favorite color is red. Did your message get totally messed up? nope, only one small part of it changed along the way, but it was enough to make that information incorrect. Memory works the same way. another example is this. Lets say you open your resume up in Microsoft word. When you open it, your computer opens it into memory. If you have bad memory, or memory that has errors in it, and your resume gets loaded into the part of memory that is bad, you may not notice anything. But when you edit that document, and save it, when your computer meant to write a "1" or a "0" somewhere, your bad memory may change that "1" to a "0" or "0" to a "1". It could happen to just one byte, maybe 10 bytes...hell if your memory has enough errors, it could do it to half your document. Suddenly when you try to open it again, you can't, because so much of it has been corrupted that it is no longer readable by your computer.

If you EVER buy memory, no matter what brand, do yourself a HUGE favor, and run memtest86 on it for at LEAST 24 hours to verify you have good..reliable memory. You'll be glad you did.
review image
1414 comments|55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 3, 2012
I was a little surprised at the price of this 16GB (8GB x 2) upgrade kit, but the other reviews made it seem worth the try. Received the RAM, popped it into my early 2011 17" MBP (i7 Quad) and everything worked perfectly. I've worked over my machine for a few days now. Been running VMware Fusion with 2 VMs (1 x Win7 w/8GB & 1 x Ubuntu w/4GB) while running numerous apps in OSX. Video encoding, compiling...nothing has had a single issue so far. Would definitely say this is the best deal I've seen for 16GB that works in Apple.
on January 26, 2012
Bought the RAM despite the various 1 star reviews, figure at this price it's worth a shot.

Got the memory, it arrived very quickly, and installed it.

The machine (MacBook Pro) started up just fine, and registered having 16GB of RAM. I ran memcheck on it, and it failed, repeatedly.

I installed my old Corsair chips, ran a memcheck on them, they both passed with flying colors.

So, buyer beware. The chips failed for me as well, but the machine can use them and will boot even if they're bad. This can eventually lead to corrupted data on your drive, as what's stored in the memory isn't what gets written back to the drive. If you haven't specifically run a memory check on these chips yet, I would highly advise doing so. There are a few free, opensource tools to do so. Just google "memtest mac".

update: For $25 more you can get Corsair chips. I've ordered some from NewEgg and will update if they work. Reviews for those chips are all perfect.

Corsair chips arrived, tested perfectly.

Update: Been running the Corsair chips for months now with no problems. I would avoid this off brand.
33 comments|16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 13, 2011
I was a little nervous about the price. Much cheaper than the 450 or so bucks that I was about to pay. Popped out the old memory and threw this in. Worked immediately with no problems. I've been running it for a week or so...running virtual machines, etc. Great find and works. Im happy. Will update my review if I have any failures.
66 comments|17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 23, 2012
It all had the potential to go smoothly, but it ended up being a month-long fiasco. The RAM I ordered arrived in one day, and it was packed well; however, it was defective. I tested it in two 2011 Macs didn't POST (three beeps on startup) I contacted Komputerbay to inquire about getting a replacement, and they replied with instructions and an RMA form, which eluded the Amazon return process to "expedite the return". I foolishly followed their return instructions instead of Amazon's.

I sent back the RAM via UPS in a padded, tracked mailer. Upon return delivery (verified by the tracking number), I didn't receive any sort of confirmation email from Komputerbay. After a week, I emailed them to ask about the status of the RMA and what sort of time frame to expect, to which they simply replied that it hadn't been processed yet. Another week passed and I sent another email to ask what had been going on. Komputerbay's response was rude and erroneous; they claimed that I had already been refunded, but the stated amount was less than half of what I actually paid, and suggested that it had taken so long because they hadn't heard from me. They also contested that they did send a confirmation, but of course they did not. An appropriate confirmation would have been sent before I felt impelled to ask what's going on.

Never did Komputerbay admit to any mistake or take responsibility for their product or service. I wonder if it was an unfortunate series of honest mistakes, something malicious, a scam, or what ever, but it ended up being one of the worst customer service situations I have ever been involved in.

After five minutes on Amazon chat, I was refunded.

I don't understand how Komputerbay is in business if that's how they do business. I'll never buy from them again.
55 comments|29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 6, 2012
As an IT guy I have a lot of gear around the house, both PC and Mac. This review is for a 2011 13" Macbook Pro. I do a LOT of multitasking with my macbook leaving a LOT of apps up and running at a time and I was having significant delays in performance and knew it was time for a memory upgrade. I went to my normal Macsales.com and deterred by the cost of upgrading from 4 to 16 like I wanted to do, decided to check around and ran across this gem on Amazon. Not a lot of reviews, but one of them showed a screen shot of the system recognizing the full 16 gbs and I couldn't believe the price. I decided to give it a shot and have been very impressed so far. I've been using it now for around 2 months and my mac is flying with all benchmark testing showing positive results! NOTE: after installing I highly recommend holding your power button down for over 30 secs which will refresh several areas under the hood. This made a definite difference for me. If I find there are issues after time I will update this post accordingly, but at this time, I have to say you'd be crazy to spend two to three times more buying something else.
on January 7, 2012
I have a early 2011 13inch Macbook Pro which originally had 4gb ram. I have been looking to upgrade and saw the insane price ($130) for a 16gb kit from Komputer bay. I read online and was a little nervous since a lot of people seem to have had some problems with getting bad chips, but the way I saw it was they can't all be bad and if they are I could just return them and exchange them for free or get my money back so for the price I decided to give it a go. I ordered on December 30th toward the end of the night and selected the free super saving shipping. Amazon said they wouldn't arrive until the 9th but USPS delivered them on the 5th. I installed the RAM myself, ran several memtests and they all checked out. NOTE: If you are going to self install make sure you have a #00 phillips screwdriver handy, nothing else will work. Also work in a well lit area and have something handy to hold the screws cause they are TEENY TINY and super easy to lose. I found one for $5 at home depot. So far the RAM has worked perfectly. Huge speed boost. I've been running Aperture, Photoshop CS5, multiple instances of chrome and safari with dozens of tab each, VLC playing high def video, Adium, ripping dvds with handbreak, plus a bunch of other random apps and widgets constantly for the last 48 hours and still haven't had a single page out or beach ball. Great product. Highly recommend. Also on the forums a lot of people say why 16gb when 8 will do. I say why not get more then you need? Especially for only $130. Also what you need now vs what you might need in the future are different. I remember back in the day, just 2 years ago when having more then 2gb was considered overkill on a labtop. Currently saving up for a SSD which after I throw in this computer should easily be good as my daily driver for the next 4-6 years.

Also, yes apple only says these macbook pro's can only support 8gb but they do work with 16gb and can address and utilize all of it. about this mac and system profiler shows 16gb like it should. I'm guessing apple just doesn't feel like offering that as a build to order option for some reason.
on December 22, 2011
I was a bit skeptical that the Komputerbay 16GB (2x 8GB) PC3-10600 10666 1333MHz SODIMM 204-Pin Laptop Memory 9-9-9-25 would work without issue in my Dell XPS L702X, but since I was purchasing this through Amazon, I figured Amazon's excellent customer service would take care of me if this experiment with Komputerbay went horribly wrong. When the package arrived, I swiched out the hynix sticks (2x 4GB) that originally came with my Dell XPS notebook with the new 16 GB Komputerbay (2x 8GB) sticks, and to my surprise, my notebook booted up fine with no problem and the Windows system recognized the new 16 GB RAM. I re-ran the Windows experience index tests and it reported the same 7.6 subscore for RAM that the old hynix sticks returned. I also ran a few passes of Memtest86+ to be sure these Komputerbay sticks are working correctly, and both passes ran fine with no errors. I'm totally amazed that these memory sticks worked at all, as the low price of these memory sticks is just unbelievable. Generally you get what you pay for, but these work fine so far. My experience with upgrading computer memory on equipment is that if your system boots up without error right after installing, then you probably are ok. I've never had a memory stick go bad later on, but then I don't overclock or push my system too hard. Be sure to run a comprehensive memory tester like Memtest86+ to validate that the new memory is good. In another review, somebody got a bad stick. I guess that happens. I'm very happy this memory works fine in my notebook. Glad I took a chance on Komputerbay and saved some money.
on December 21, 2011
I have several Thinkpads including a Thinkpad W520 and a Thinkpad X220T!

Both machines support 8gb modules and I have purchased more expensive ones in my W520 (4x8)!

Any how, I decided it was time to upgrade my X220T to 16gb and I saw these modules which as $60 cheaper than other options. I decided to give them a try!!

So far, I am glad I did! After installing them, I ran several memory stress tests and the installed Komputerbay memory passed with no errors!

I highly recommend them!

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!