Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Amethyst Jewelry Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now SnS

Size: MediumChange

on May 2, 2011
We just started puppy school and the trainer said that we should give all our puppy's meals in a kong or puzzle toy to keep them more occupied while they get their meal. It's amazing how well it works! It makes her meal span out for about 45 minutes, instead of chowing down and then running around and getting everything. Right now we have 6 Kongs packed up and ready to go- 2 mini, 2 medium, and 3 large- depending on what she gets it for (meals, treats, alone time, etc.). I put a treat all the way in the bottom and then kibble to the opening and then close it with a little all natural peanut butter and then put them in the freezer. I recommend this to whoever has a puppy who is starting to get into everything and want to keep them occupied for awhile- stuffing them can be a project, but it's definitely worth the piece of mind.
22 comments119 of 122 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 23, 2006
We recently adopted 3 wonderful, adorable pups - 2 of whom are still in their "chewing stage". Based on the recommendation of friends, we decided to give the "Kong" a try - and it's awesome!

"Kongs" are made to be extremely strong, so they don't fall apart when the little ones chew on them for hours (or even when our big guy decides to have a little chewing action on it himself). We've found that our dogs love them as is, but they REALLY get into it when we insert a treat or some of the "Kong" vitamin-enriched tasty paste into the open cavity. They'll spend lots of time and energy attempting to get the treat out (which is unlikely) &/or enjoying the "tasty paste".

Overall, we found this to be a great toy for our "little ones" - it provides them with something that they're allowed to chew & that I as a "puppy parent" don't have to worry about falling apart due to long bouts of gnawing. Our dogs give the "Kong" a "2 paws up"!!!
0Comment74 of 81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 28, 2009
I have the Puppy Kong and the Regular Kong - one for each of my dogs. I bought according to their weight and not their breed, so my puppy will soon need the larger Puppy Kong. At first I used the filler that the Kong manufacturer sells. I am not a big fan of the sticks that you put partly inside and partly hanging out of the Kong- because inevitably part of the stick gets stuck inside the Kong and I end up using the back of a spoon to pry it out.

However, I DO love to take non fat yogurt and mix it up with small bite sized pieces of their favorite treat and pack it on into the Kong. I then take a dollop of peanut butter and place it over the hole & freeze. When I leave for work I have no problem getting either of my dogs into their crates because they know once they are sitting in their crate quietly I will give them their frozen treat. (I do not bribe them into the crates with their treats!)

I really like this because both my big dog and my growing puppy are constantly checking their Kongs for more treats & if there aren't any in it- they definitely love to still chew on it.
0Comment34 of 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Dear People,

As a four-pawed 'person' I must confess, I love my small Kong toy. Being just 10 lbs., I usually want soft toys, but this little rubber toy is terrific. My family puts peanut butter into the small opening of the Kong and then I spend a lo-o-o-ng time licking it out. I enjoy sniffing it and chewing the rubber even when there's nothing left inside. Yum, just my kind of activity when my staff--er, family--leaves me at home. I know I'm a guy (even though I'm no longer a stud muffin) but, I kinda' like the hot pink and white marbled look of my Kong. And it's so well-made, I don't think they'll have to buy me another one--unless I hide this one like I hid my blue one.

Trust me, your pooch will want one, too. Gotta' go, it's time for my walk.

Your friend,
Maxx
22 comments82 of 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 1, 2015
While the product itself is okay, it wasn't sent to me in the way a new item should be. First off, while it does say colors vary, it gives you a color choice option. I chose blue and was sent a salmon pink toy. Also the product is covered in black smudges. Not sure I would purchase again.
review image
on October 27, 2015
I feel like my 3 month old pup is going to end up choking on this, it's way too tiny. Do not buy unless you have a chihuahua puppy, or a Pomeranian. Those are the only two dogs that can actually use this.
review image review image review image
on March 30, 2006
When I bought this for my eight week Golden puppy he really liked it. It didn't last him to long because it got to small for him really quick. It kept him entertained well.
on November 14, 2012
This worked great for our previous pups. Our current pup is a strong/persistent chewer, and shredded this. She graduated to the adult (red) version at 10 weeks of age, and is on the Extreme (black) version at 5 months. This version is a good product, for the right pup. By the way, while the pink version is cute, it makes it harder to detect bleeding, so stick with the blue.
0Comment25 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 1, 2009
Had this for our Golden Retriever Puppy. He spent hours (over his months of growing), chewing on it. We never used any of the products that were sold to place inside of it. Like the previous reviewer, we chose to use our own "treats". His favorite was natural peanut butter - it was never messy from what I remember (as he spent plenty of time in the house with it). I'm pretty certain he eventually buried it in the yard when he decided he was a "big boy"; he likes to bury things & I haven't seen it in several years! It was also one of the only toy things he could never destroy. We have NEVER had any problems with him chewing on anything of ours either, which is nice! He still has adult Kong items now & another brand (& tennis balls, although he pops those like childs-play!). Baby Kong filled with some natural PB was great for us when we had people over and needed to keep him occupied :)
0Comment23 of 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 3, 2012
The rubber smells horrible, the color rubs off (as another reviewer said decomposing) and finally. ..... It melted in the sun .. such a toxic toy I will never give it to my dog again ..(i had the pink one)
11 comment13 of 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse