Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: KONG Wobbler Treat Dispensing Dog Toy, Large
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

Size: Large|Change

on July 25, 2010
Our 3 year old Australian Cattle dog mix loves this Kong. Once she got the hang of it ( after about 5 minutes ) she chases this around the house with her paws and her snout, growling at it, trying to get her "reward". We sometimes use this with her regular dog food to "jump start" her interest in meals. She has a lot of fun with it and it is very entertaining for us and our friends watching her playing. I have attached a video showing a little of her playtime.

Be aware of one thing - the toy is a little heavy and some hard plastic so it does bang around some.
99 comments|223 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 17, 2010
Apart from a bully stick, interactive toys that dispense treats are the most effective way to keep my 18 lb terrier mix busy and mentally occupied. We've bought several of them: The Buster Mini Cube (made of *very* hard plastic and too noisy even on a carpeted floor), StarMark Bob-A-Lot (one of the best although it's light enough for him to throw it around and make a lot of noise), and the Premier Busy Buddy Tug-A-Jug (also effective but again somewhat light and hard).

Benji has never had trouble figuring out how to play with any of these and although he destroys plush toys in a flash, he hasn't been able to do any damage to these. The problem with all three of them is that they are just too noisy for him to play with in our living room very early in the morning when we want him occupied but our neighbor in the apartment next door is sleeping.

So when I saw the Kong Wobbler online it looked like it might be the best yet. I tried to find the toy in various retail stores, but it is new, and none of them carried it. So I ordered it without knowing anything about it but a photo. I assumed it would be that hard rubber traditional Kongs are made from and that even if Benji threw it around it would be less noisy.

Upon arrival I realized the toy is nothing like what I imagined - but that's not necessarily a bad thing. First of all the thing is huge, which I couldn't tell from the photo. It is almost as tall as the Bob-A-Lot. I'm not sure a dog much smaller than Benji could manipulate it satisfactorily and Kong recommends it for medium to large dogs. It's also made of *very* hard plastic which I think a lot of dogs would find very unsatisfying to chew compared to a traditional Kong. Another drawback is that the hole the treats fall out of is way too big for kibble and unlike the Bob-A-Lot, the hole is not adjustable. I made the hole smaller with scotch tape and the toy works fine.

So why would you consider the Kong Wobbler in favor of the other toys? It's *heavy*. I mean really surprisingly heavy compared to the others. The other toys are light enough so that Benji can grasp them in his front paws and propel the toy across the room where they bang against furniture. It's fun to watch but nerve wracking. The Kong Wobbler is just too heavy for for him to "toss" (although he's giving it his best shot while I type this). So the toy rolls around on the rug rather than flying through the air.

Any of these toys would be great for a dog with a yard. For use in an apartment, I'd give the Wobbler a slight edge. It is also a little bit less expensive than the Bob-A-Lot and the Tug-A-Jug. I can't really recommend the Buster Cube for indoor use. It's like letting young kids play with a baseball in the living room
22 comments|139 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 27, 2010
My solution:
As other reviewers stated, the kong shaped hole on the wobbler is indeed quite big and set very low on the toy. Food was coming out in chunks, way too easy. I tried putting a tennis ball inside the wobbler, but only made it worse. Because of the weight of the ball, the wobbler would not balance anymore. So for another quick solution, I put some electrical tape to cover 2/3 of the hole from the bottom. It worked! Now it was 5 times harder to get the kibble, and only one or two kibble at a time will fall out. But, the tape didn't last long. It started to rip and fall out. So then I took a hot glue gun and covered about 1/2 of the hole from the bottom. To prevent my dog wanting to try to chew on the molded glue with his front teeth, I covered glue's surface with masking tape. Masking tape adheres well and is very thin so it's like nothing's there. Kibble now falls out at decent speed. I might go back and cover the hole some more with hot glue to make it more challenging. When you do it, just make sure the hole is at least the size of the kibble/treat!

Actual review: I love this toy. It is very easy to fill in the kibble, and is easy to clean due to the smooth surfaces throughout. Material is softer than the hard plastic of buster cube, so it won't make a lot of noise and engraves teeth marks. Shell is thick so it seems durable though. Bottom seems to be filled with sand. With the hot glue mod it is another toy to keep my dog working for his daily kibble!
44 comments|92 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 26, 2011
When my husband and I adopted our little dachshund/miniature schnauzer mix (he's about 15 pounds), he wasn't eating very much. The vet told us that once he acclimated to his new owners and surroundings, his appetite would pick up. Well, it didn't. After two months, he still would not eat very much out of his bowl. He would take 3-4 bites and would walk away from all his food. My husband and I had to force our dog to eat or hand feed him - neither of which we liked.

I read up on dachshunds and found out that they are hunting dogs. I thought that maybe if we made getting his meal a bit more of a hunt or challenge that he would like it more - and sure enough, I was right! Ever since we bought this Wobbler Kong, he eats ALL his food with no problems! This toy keeps my dog engaged and happy while eating! It is such a relief not to have to force or hand feed our dog and to not worry if our dog is getting enough food. The fact that he enjoys it and likes it so much is just the icing on the cake and makes us so happy! So, for our dog, it's more of an interactive feeder than a toy or game and we feel that it was well worth the money paid!

As others have noted, for a "small" size this is indeed pretty big - it's as tall as my dog! I was surprised by the size when I got it in the mail but I thought I'd give it a try anyway - and I'm glad I did because he loves it! So far, he hasn't had any problems with the size. It knocked him in the head/face a few times at first but never hard and now he's learned and usually moves out of the way.

We've had it about a month now and our dog eats out of it 1-2 times a day and it's holding up just fine. He is a big chewer and he's tried to chew this a few times but so far, has not done any damage. We have high hopes that this will last for a while!
review image
VINE VOICEon June 16, 2010
I was immediately intrigued by this toy when I saw it as it clearly was designed similar to the CLIX Pyramid Dog Toy but with the very nice addition of a removable top. So much easier to fill! I was excited to try it and see how well it worked.

Unfortunately, what I didn't realize from the photo was how close to the base that holds the food the hole is! You would think the food is all the way in the bottom but there's a shelf inside that it sits on and its not that far from the hole at all (it's at the bottom of the word KONG when you look at the closeup photo). The hole itself is a bit larger as well, so if you have a small dog and are using fairly small kibble/treats, more will come out at a time due to the larger hole size.

Now, for a dog that's never used a puzzle toy like this, they'll still take some time to figure it out. But my dog who has played with other puzzle toys very easily figured out how to empty this one in just minutes (the Pyramid takes him 3-4 times as long due to the smaller hole and how high it is on the toy).

So it depends on your needs, how fast a learner your dog is and how long you want him to spend with the toy. For mine, this isn't really challenging enough. I love the ease of filling it, but really wish they had not put the hole so low.
1212 comments|142 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 24, 2011
Since all the reviews so far seem to be for small / medium dogs, here is one about a large dog. The challenge with large dogs is that they are usually strong chewers, and hardly any toys last very long. At least that has been my experience.

I have a 5-year old 85lb Doberman Pinscher. He pushes and paws the Kong around to get the kibble, but once the kibble stops coming out he goes back to what has worked for him in the past with the regular Kong: chew the heck out of it. By the time he is done, he is tired but the Kong is still usable. The Kong Wobbler is made of hard plastic, similar to the Galileo Nylabone, and the only damage I noticed so far is some little plastic "shavings" sticking out of it, nothing too serious as far as I can tell (see my product image). The small Wobbler is very similar in size to the x-large regular rubber Kong.
review image review image
on June 25, 2012
One of the first toys I've ever bought for my Labrador retriever and is the only one left standing from her puppy days. I've got the large and have never had problems with my dog not being able to move it.

I tend to fill it upside down with two cups of kibble - the downside of this is that it makes the top a bit heavy and it doesn't really "wobble" anymore so much as lay on its side - it wobbles again when my dog get half of the kibble out.

For those who feel that the dispenser hole is too big and empties out too fast:

Try adding a few ping pong balls - I added 2 in there and it really made a difference - the balls are too big to go through the hole, but it blocks it most of the time, requiring more effort to get the small kibble out. You can add more or less depending on your mileage.
on June 3, 2015
My dog is extremely picky, but he'll eat anything he has to chase. This toy helped out a ton! Also doubles as a great hat. Are we not men?
review image
on March 11, 2015
I love the idea of this toy but unfortunately even the small was too large and intimidating for my 10lb, food-motivated chihuahua. The small size stands about 6" tall and 4.5" wide, the treat hole is 1.5", and the toy as a whole is fairly heavy considering the size of dog it's intended for (it's not that easy for a small dog to wobble). Even after trying to teach her how to use it, she was unable to figure it out. She won't nudge it to make it wobble but instead tries to dig under it. The material is a hard plastic and she tends to back away for fear of it hitting her (when I wobble it for her). I think this would probably suit a larger dog or one with better problem-solving skills, but mine seemed very uninterested which is a shame because I was hoping it might entertain her for a while. I tried to give it a chance but it's been a few weeks now and she still has been unable to learn how to get the treats out and I'm at a loss in teaching her how to do it.

EDIT: So thanks to another review that I read directly after posting my original review, my chihuahua has FINALLY, successfully learned how to dispense the treats. It took about 15+ minutes of training and encouragement by simply filling the kong to the max with small treats, and then placing a treat underneath the kong so that she would learn to nudge the kong with the top of her head. We did this over and over until she started nudging on her own and realized the treats would fall out of the kong almost every time she did this. I'm hoping once I switch to regular dog food, she'll be just as excited and motivated to play with the toy. She's still going at it as I write this edit! Thanks again to the other reviewer for posting this tip!
review image review image
on May 4, 2011
I bought this toy for my bullmastiff. She found a better way to get the treats than rolling the toy. She broke it in half within a few minutes.