5.0 out of 5 stars Worlds' first disposible Hand Held
This radio has more options than you can shake a stick at. Price is such that if you manage to break it, cheaper to buy new one than repair cost. Let's face it, where can you get a good dual band HT radio for under $100 much less one for under $50.This HT has become a favorite among local hams in Central Florida.
That said, it has two major problems.1. The supplied...
Published 19 months ago by Norman Shiver

2.0 out of 5 stars Not necessarily what is pictured
After opening up the item and noticing a very visible "nick" in the finish of the faceplate, I turned on the item to check its operation. It did work and it received a signal. I didn't test the transmitter. I decided to put it on the charger for a few hours first.

Published 17 months ago by Relayer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Worlds' first disposible Hand Held, May 12, 2013
This review is from: Kootek® (2013 Latest Version) Baofeng Uv-5re Plus Uv 5r+ Dual-band 136-174/400-480 Mhz Fm Ham Two-way Radio, More Rich and Enhanced Features (Electronics)
That said, it has two major problems.1. The supplied antenna sucks. To really enjoy your new HT, you need to buy a high gain replacement. Amazon.com has quite a few. Just make sure it has a "reverse sma" connector. 2. The manual is less than bare bones. Get the programming cable with usb driver and down load a free program called "Chirp". This will make programming your HT almost pain free

Hear you on the air later!!! KD4GMK

2.0 out of 5 stars Not necessarily what is pictured, July 2, 2013

That was when I discovered the bigger problem... it has a foreign power supply (non-US) and NO ADAPTERS!! The pictures above show a US style power supply (and for that matter, no damage on the faceplate either).

I'm sending it back!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome radio!, June 23, 2013
This BaoFeng UV-5RE+ radio is perfect for camping, on the road, & tactical use.
DO NOT leave it on while it's plugged into the charger stand, it will burn the electrical contacts. Even though my radio burned the contacts it still works perfect! I dropped it from about 3 feet on to concrete & it still works great. Rugged & well built with plenty of power & features. Make sure you download the software & buy the interface cable, it makes programming it SO easy!

2.0 out of 5 stars Here We Go Again..., August 20, 2013
This is the third radio of this sort that I've purchased from Amazon and had to return due to various issues.
This latest radio - and it does NOT mention this ANYWHERE in the item description - is the European version of this "Bao Feng" handheld radio. Oh, yes, that brings me to another point: NOWHERE on the radio, nor printed anywhere in the manual, do the words "Bao Feng" even appear - although they have appeared on the previous 2 Bao Feng radios that I purchased. It's highly likely that I have gotten stuck with not only a European version, but a counterfeit knockoff one, to boot.
Don't get me wrong, for the most part, these little Bao Feng handheld ham radios are great, and many of the members in our Amateur Radio clubs use them, it's just that I've been getting stuck with lemons from Amazon lately ever since they have severely lowered their merchant standards and allowed unscrupulous Chinese wholesalers to take advantage of Amazon's customers like this.
As soon as I send this bogus junk back to Amazon, I will be reordering the proper, American-version Bao Feng from a reputable ham radio supplier who carries AUTHENTIC Bao Feng radios.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable Bargain, July 3, 2013
Several HAMs in our local ARES group now have and use the + version of the UV-5R with good success. I bought one to use as a backup and now routinely reach for it instead of my pricey Yaesu knowing that if I loose, or damage it, it will be inexpensive to replace...
Note- buy the programming cable and download free Chirp! (or use your Kenwood HT programming cable which works fine).

2.0 out of 5 stars For the money, it is an OK receiver., October 14, 2013
I bought this as a cheap way to explore 70cm. I've been on 2m for many years using various Japanese made radios.

Its a decent receiver but I've had some issues with transmitting. First off, I checked the VSWR of the included antenna on a Rohde & Schwarz spectrum analyzer at work and it saw that it was tuned sharply at about 137.5Mhz - way too low for 2m. By the time the curve got into the 2m band it was basically flat. I don't recall the exact numbers but I worked out that about half the output power would be reflected back to the radio! VSWR on the 70cm band was also flat, with a broad, shallow dip just below the band. Contacts on 70cm complained of loud "cell phone noise" accompanying my voice.

When inserting the programming cable and external mic/speaker accessories, the transmit PTT sometimes latches on, and can only be stopped by shutting the radio off.

With a properly tuned antenna it does transmit well on the 2m band, but I can feel the battery pack heat up rapidly during transmission. The metal charging contacts become almost unbearable to touch after 10-15 seconds.

5.0 out of 5 stars BaoFeng UV-5RE+ Dual Band transceiver, August 3, 2013
What a great little ht!
I have used handhelds from the other major manufacturers and figured this one wold be junk for the price. I sure was wrong! It WAS tough to program at first with the cable, but was user errors involved. My son copied Chirp on a cd and I booted from it. Very nice and easy now to change freqs and alphanumerics.This thing is great at any pricee. I used it on 2 meter repeaters and simplex and get very good reports. What's not to like. Scanning is slow, but didn't buy it as a scanner. Can't wait to buy another now that I have the cable and software set up. Might even buy 2 or 3 for replacement if the first one quits.
It comes with a nice drop in charger and ear piece/microphone, but the internal one works fine.
Also nice is the direct frequency input with the keyboard when in frequency mode. Just be csreful not to transmit where you are not licensed.
Thanks Amazon for carrying these and getting it shipped here in a couple of days!

1.0 out of 5 stars Defective on radio, July 13, 2013
Radio was great UNTILL I plugged in the supplied headset and it activated a defective headset/programming plug receptical locking the unit into transmit mode and could not be released even after removing the headset from the radio. This really irritated me about your lack of quality control. Due to the seller dragging his ass shipping the radio to me I just returnes it and bought at another dealer; BUT; that radio was also not right with a problem in the headset it self. GET YOUR DAMN ACT TOGEATHER.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dig it, April 13, 2014
Bought this for emergency coms as I live in florida and coulda used it in hurricanes . I plan on getting a ham license. The radio is feature packed for a 42$ radio . Feels sturdy , sound quality is excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't beat it for the price!, March 31, 2014
This will do almost anything you need, weather, GMRS, HAM, FM radio, Flash Light. Range is OK for GMRS but is scans and receives great! I have 3

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›