5.0 out of 5 stars Great tool for a beginner...
Published on January 3, 2012 by Anna O

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible compared to the Korg PX4D
Published on April 13, 2012 by Six Strings

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tool for a beginner..., January 3, 2012
This review is from: Korg Pandora PXMINIBK Mini Personal Multi Effects Processor, Black (Electronics)
As a beginner, there was no chance I wanted anyone hearing me play. I wanted something small and portable that I could use whenever I felt the urge to practice. I was concerned because some of these gadgets are overly complicated for a beginner but this unit is great. Plug in your guitar and headphones, turn it on and use the dial to select the sound you want and away you go.

I typically use the acoustic setting because as a beginner, I am nowhere near proficient with muting strings or cleanly switching chords yet. The acoustic setting is very plain and you can hear when switches are done cleanly a lot clearer. It has a built in metronome, which is crucial for a new guitarist. There is also an aux in jack so if you are doing lessons from a DVD or have tunes you want to play along to on your computer, you can plug it into the Pandora and jam away.

The only downside to this unit is that the volume is very low even at the highest setting especially using the acoustic setting. I'm not looking to go deaf or anything but sometimes you want to kick it up a notch or two and I find that if I'm playing along to music on my computer, I have to put the iTunes volume down pretty low in order to clearly hear my guitar playing. Some of the heavier guitar settings are a bit louder than the acoustic but I'm sticking to that for now.

Overall this is a great little unit that I'm sure I will graduate to using even more of its features later on.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible compared to the Korg PX4D, April 13, 2012
I was hoping this unit would be a good small alternative to the Korg PX4D, which I own, like, and use daily for hours of warm-up. It is not. The sound is terrible. Even for warm up, I couldn't take it. It is full of extraneous noise and hiss. I think what happened is maybe Korg removed many of the analog parts of the PX4D to get a smaller unit. The results are not good. If you are serious about tone, forget this unit. The PX4D had decent tone when it was set up correctly. It wasn't intuitive, but once you found the cabinet midrange, and other buried commands, etc., it could be dialed in very nicely.

It seems Korg has really dropped the ball helping musicians. I also had their D3200 multitrack recorder. It was bought new, almost never used, stored well, and... broke repeatedly. Some of the data buttons and wheels on Korg stuff gets skippy or sticky over time, or the hard drives fail (with little use). Korg, come on. You need to get your _____ (stuff) together.

I would quickly jump to other brands, but many do not include a metronome. To Line-6, Zoom, or whomever is listening, put a good sound, a metronome, and decent effects in a non-corny-looking unit and you will blow Korg away and instantly get a lot of sales. Zoom, you had an awesome unit in the 80s (9002), until you decided to never sell replacement batteries for them!

To Korg engineers, if you think good sound comes by putting everything under the sun on one chip without any analog filtering, you might want to hit the textbooks for some more study.

I have heard the PX5D also suffers from sound quality compared to the PX4D, although I haven't tried it. They jacked the price on the PX5D considerably, the sound reviews were not as good as the PX4D, and the USB interface was a joke by many accounts. Korg, what is going on?

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth EVERY penny!, April 30, 2013
I've been playing guitar since '91. I've had countless pedals, effects processors and various gadgets to enhance the guitar sound. Pandora is, arguably, the best of all those worlds wrapped up in a tiny convenient package! I was blown away after the first time I plugged in, chose some random preset sound and scrolled thru the numerous time keeping beats! The sound was crisp and professional, not "muddy" and swamped sounding with electronic overkill and the beats ranged from simple metronome to layered drum beats w/different accents and time signatures! You'll find yourself playing swing guitar or reggae just cuz the beats are so funky and alluring!
The only negatives, as far as I can see are that if you want to make this ouput into stereo sound and amplify it like your normal rig setup-you will only be able to ouput to one channel (left). And believe me- you will want to plug this into an amp and kick up the volume! The other drawback is overkill w/200+ preset sounds some of which are unecessary; novel, but impractical. When are you ever going to be playing alien sounding guitar music??? Some of the presets are so slightly changed that it was unecessary to add them for example one preset would be distortion and the next would be distortion with delay added and the next distortion with delay and flange...etc.
So to sum up buy this product if you are a beginning guitarist as it will help you tremendously or if you've been playing guitar for decades cuz it will bring back the sheer joy of guitar playing! You shan't be disappointed!

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect travel companion, September 18, 2012
I've had this Korg Pandora mini for almost an entire year. I decided to buy this model to take with me on travel along with my Traveler Pro-series electric guitar. I wanted a processor that was small enough to fit in the travel guitar case, but still provide a lot of flexibility for both headphones and available amps and home stereos. It has been an excellent accessory with many features crammed into a tiny form factor.

I've taken the Korg Pandora mini and my travel guitar to India, all over the USA, Dubai and Costa Rica. And I am very happy with the combination of portability and a wide range of great sounding effects.

The knob selector is easy to use for browsing different effects. But it is a pain to use for accurate selections. As this is a portable unit, it does not have conveniences like hands-free control to switch effects. Still, once you are dialed in, it works great.

One of the best features of this device is the "Aux Pitch" control. This steps up or down the input audio so that you can dial in the incoming play-along music key to your guitar's tuning - great for songs mastered in Eb, where your guitar is tuned to E - all without speeding up the song.

From a sound quality standpoint, it is unfair to compare this to a studio grade pedal board or pro stompboxes. The mini sounds great with a pair of good headphones. It also sounds respectable when I hijack the inlaws' home stereo. The modeling adjustments are easy through the USB interface on a computer - more cumbersome with the input controls directly on the mini. There is a surprising array of presets that any beginner will enjoy. The volume out is somewhat limited, so it does require backing off any aux input music a little to hear the more delicate effects. Crank the volume with the right jam effect with an external amp and you can surprise everyone with some decent effects quality.

I recommend splurging for the lithium AA batteries and turning off the backlight to get the most out of a true portable experience. The battery life with this set up will give several days of on-and-off hobbyist playing time. However, if you have access to mini-USB power, you are all set. The thing is so small that it will not stay on a table top easily - if you use heavy cables, the weight of the cables will pull the mini right off your lap, table, etc. So you are better off securing it somehow to prevent damage. I tied a camera lanyard to the mini (it has an attachment point) so I can lash it to the guitar or to my belt for easy access without risk of dropping it. I also keep it in a small zipper pouch (Logitech's VW wireless mouse pouch to be exact) for additional protection - but any small padded case will work.

A word of warning - the heavily processed signals conflict with certain noise-cancelling headphone technology. My Bose NC headphones wipe out the sound from the mini (too much noise cancelling?!!). This is not a problem with my less sophisticated Sony NC headphones or even standard non-noise-cancelling headphones.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but low power, October 20, 2013
Good product. But low power for my headphone. I need connect a headphone amp.
But all the functions are very good an easy to use.

3.0 out of 5 stars For Practice Only!, October 11, 2013
I decided to buy the Pandora Mini mainly because it was cheap and it has and acoustic simulator. I wanted the acoustic sound to record with at night due to sleeping problems. But it is very noisy. When played there is quite a bit of noise that is produced. Even after noise gates and noise reduction there is a constant annoying tone on the recordings. I am waiting to see if it is any good live and will update when I find out. So far I'm not that impressed. This is to be used for strictly practice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Underrated., September 18, 2013
A lot of people complain about the sounds and quality of Pandora mini; which made me a little reluctant to purchase it, but I have to say it was a great purchase. I'm no musical/guitar expert, nor do I plan on "gigging" with this device, but for quiet bedroom practice and versatility of being able to tweak different effects and sounds, this is perfect. The "hissing" sounds that seem common in the reviews on this site, I personally haven't come across it, maybe over time it will turn up, but it's pretty clean sounding when I'm not strumming any strings; certain presets have really loud distortion/feedback with long lasting ringing sounds (which is part of the effect), but other than that, there hasn't been any unwarranted annoying sounds; maybe they got a defective unit. A lot of the presets are neat novelty effects and/or typically lean toward certain music genres, in which case a dozen of them end up sounding the same, but they all sound pretty good... at least with the use of headphones, I haven't hooked it up to a guitar amp or any sort of speaker, but that's not the reason I wanted this. All in all, for less than $100, if you're expecting to replace hundreds to thousands of dollars on guitar effects/gear, that's wishful thinking, but if you're just looking for a cool device that let's you choose different style guitar amplifier sounds and effects conveniently on one device, I'd say look up some online videos for this and other portable Multi effect devices i.e. Line 6 Pocket Pod, and decide for yourself, as for me, it was well worth 90 bucks.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a NEAT TOY, August 27, 2012
for all the people claiming about the tone quality and hiss, THIS IS A NEAT TOY ! that is all it is. made for sitting back on the couch with your headphones on whether it be practicing along with some jam tracks mixed in on its AUX input, or playing with its cheese sounding drum tracks. its just ment to be a cute little toy, I am not going to compare it with my hi end tube heads and custom pedals would not want to. but it is fun to play with and is quite enough to play with some GOOD head phones. the presets are neat as well. I plugged into the laptop that is always on my coffee table and was able to use the USB input to scroll thru the presets via MIDI. It is $99.00 worth of fun for a toy

5.0 out of 5 stars I would give it more Stars if I could!, March 11, 2012
I have a ton of expensive recording and musical gear, and wish I would have got this a long time ago and saved me a lot of time and trouble.

The Korg Pandora Mini to me is the perfect little tool. Overall, the little quirks on some of the preset (which out of 200 I found 2) effects is little issue to me. I can easily delete those and add my own I can edit with the software from Korg which is free for Mac & PC. If I have any gripe, is the lack of a Linux and FreeBSD set of Software, but Wine on Linux works fine if need be.

As I mentioned, I have a lot of equipment. My MacBook Pro and Logic Studio as well as a ton of Line 6 with Keyboards and interfaces cost me a small fortune, just so I can basically do what all I can do with the $100 Pandora Mini! Even my expensive stuff has 'glitches' in some of the patches, so I think it is unwarranted to bag on Korg when you think about what you get for the money. For $100 bucks, its like getting it free.

I use a pair of ATH-M30 Headphones with it, and it is great. With my Schecter it is loud enough for me. If I need to irritate someone, I can simply plug it into my Pignose Hog 20, and rock like I never rocked before. If that is not enough, I can plug it into my ZT LunchBox2, and throw 200 Watts into the wind, and watch windows break!

As the book that comes with it says, keep it away from magnetic fields and treat it as fragile. Not in those words, but magnets in Amps give it some "noise" you hear in the headset. Also coiled cables like the instrument cables produce RF noise. The unit picks up every nuance, so keep it "isolated" from RF and magnetic fields as best as possible.

The only thing I wish it had was an armored belt clip or something. It has a set of holes to put a leash through to hang it on your neck and all, but its a tiny little thing, and I worry if I yank it accidentally off my desk, it could die. Maybe someone will produce an aftermarket rubber case for it like they do for Cell Phones? That would be nice. In the Tropics here it rains a lot. And this thing is not built for rain. So yea, a protective case is all I could ask for.

As I mentioned, I have Line 6 equipment and effects. And I do not see any difference other than maybe my Korg ones are more useful. Out of 200 presets, I would say maybe 5 are hoaky and not worth keeping. But this gives me 205 slots to make my own sounds. Even Apple Logic and Garage Band combined barely offer that customization, and we are talking big bucks (over $3,000) to get all that!

So rest assured, your $100 investment in the Korg Pandora Mini is worth it. Treat it kindly, and I bet it will last. I had a Korg keyboard for my MacBook that went everywhere with me, a bunch of Islands, camping and so on. It was "fragile" too (Nano Korg). A key was torn off, and several times it got soaked. But it always worked! I think when you get this little beast, you will be as impressed as myself. Remember too, the Korg Pandora Mini is only as good as your CABLES and CONNECTIONS, as well as your Sound Output Devices. I really think a lot of the (few) bad reviews are due to these issues rather than the machine itself. For you guys used to really loud stuff, you might want to get a headphone amplifier? Its loud enough for me, but NOT going to make your ears bleed and nose run.

Have Fun!

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap tone. Nothing like the PX4, November 17, 2013
This device has low quality tone compared to the PX4. The PX4 delay is deep and lengthy. The PX4's autoswell is slow and violin-like. The Pandora mini sounds very cheap in comparison (short "shallow" delay, and the autoswell is kind of a joke).

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›