5.0 out of 5 stars More than just an average cookbook!
This is my first time reading one of Susie Fishbein's cookbooks and I have to say that I really enjoyed it. It is chock full of the greatest yet simplest recipes that someone can cook. Even though I am not in the age range for this cookbook, it was well worth my viewing.

Published on November 1, 2010 by Allergykidmom

3.0 out of 5 stars Kosher By Design
If I were to rate this book on the graphics alone I would give it a ten star, other wise I have to caution anyone new to Kosher by way of trying to reclaim Jewish ancestry or heritage, this book does what it says, it informs you what you can make and stay Kosher, not really a book of Jewish cooking, two different things. Still for it's purpose, not a bad book.
Published 18 months ago by Mausje

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars More than just an average cookbook!, November 1, 2010
This review is from: Kosher By Design: Teens and 20-Somethings: Cooking for the Next Generation (Hardcover)

The beginning of the cookbook has a couple of different sections. The first one talks about what you need to do to get started cooking. The second one gives you different healthy eating tips along with the right equipment to use. The third one tells you about the different labels and how to read them. Beside every recipe is a label to let you know what type of recipe it is. For instance, there is V for vegetarian, GF for gluten-free, DF for dairy-free, and NF for nut-free. So as you can see, this cookbook isn't just for regular diets, it also accommodates those that have health issues, which in this day in age is a great inclusion.

Just like most cookbooks, the recipes are broken down into different sections. I will break them down for you along with one of the recipes that I liked from each section.

1) Starters - Jamaican Jerk Chicken Wings
2) Munchies - Scones
3) Soups and Salads - Lox and Avocado Salad
4) Poultry and Meat - Teriyaki Mushroom Chicken
5) Fish, Pasta, and Dairy - Pesto Salmon
6) Side Dishes - Banana Pumpkin Cornbread
7) Desserts - Chocolate Chocolate Chip Sticks
8) Parties - Gives you ideas of party themes you can have

The recipes themselves are well written and very simple. One thing that I really loved is that there is a picture for every single recipe in the book. I love this because I like to see what it is going to look like before I make it. I need some kind of idea how it is going to turn out. They are very colorful also. Great presentation!

All in all I have to say that I really love this cookbook. I think that everyone should go out and purchase it. It will make a great addition to the ones they have or a great starter if they don't have one yet. I know this one has convinced me to go out and get her other ones and try them out.

I thank Marcus Wynn Group Public Relations for giving me this book for an honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps Susie's Simplest and Best Yet, October 28, 2010
I have all of Susie's cookbooks. They have literally altered the face of kosher cooking - and all for the better, of course. Many other kosher cookbooks that have come out since the original Kosher by Design (2003) show at least subtle evidence of Susie's stylistic influence, IMO.

Now she's published cookbook number seven - and I'm crazy about it. I'm clearly NOT a "teen or 20-something". At this stage in my life, I have 20-somethings. But she's taken a simpler approach to the 100 new recipes in Teens and 20-Somethings. The ingredient lists are shorter; the equipment needed is more basic. The prep times are shorter - in many cases shorter than her last cookbook - Short On Time.

The cuisine may be simpler and faster to prepare, but it's by no means simple fare. I love the international influences in this one - Thai Chicken Burgers, Mexican Pizza Empanadas, Hoisin Vegetables, Schwarma Chicken, and an amazingly tantalizing Creamy Gnocchi Salad. Oh - and I nearly forgot the Pizza Soup!

On the domestic front, there's equal diversity - from simple soups and healthy salads to such decadent wonders as Tater Tot Casserole, Southwest Rotisserie Chicken Wraps, Turkey Sliders, and what I think is a humorous breakfast hit (if you're old enough to remember the original) - Peanut Butter and Banana French Toast.

One word of warning: The desserts are rich so if you're counting calories anywhere in this cookbook, this is the section to do so! I have to recommend one dessert: the No-Bake Dulce de Leche Cheesecake. The recipe calls for a new-to-the-market kosher gelatin from Kolatin that is truly (and finally) equal to the non-kosher gelatins that we've avoided all these years.

Dessert calories aside, I have to "five star" this seventh Kosher by Design cookbook. It's just plain fun to work with.

And I do wonder - what will Susie whip up next? I hear she's already started on number 8!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best cookbook ever - but title is all wrong, December 31, 2010
We cook a lot. 5 course meals, with each course have at least 5 dishes per. And we serve 10-15 at a time - at least once a month. We have been through every Kosher by Design too. And all we can say is - BEST COOKBOOK EVER! We've already made 22 recipes and everyone was a huge hit. Accessible ingredients but new combinations we never would have thought of.

Some of the great recipes: Tuna Casserole (beyond delicious), Spicy Garlic Bread (genius), Mexi-Cali Squares (awesome), Molten Chocolate Cake (nuff said), Turkey Sliders (beyond words...restaurant worthy).

The only downside? The title. This cookbook has NOTHING to do with Teens and 20-somethings. Some other suggestions for the Kosher By Design subtitles: Best Ever; Genius Recipes; For the 21st Century; Favorites Reinvented; Accessible Gourmet.

Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, Gorgeous, Fun Cookbook, October 26, 2010
Though I'm neither Jewish nor in this book's age range, I love this lavishly illustrated, concise, spirited cookbook. I recommend it to anyone who cooks for only a few people: the unmarried, students, night shift workers. Susie Fishbein's recipes are simple, most less than one page long, and can be prepared without exhaustive culinary skill. And though her recipes keep kosher, they are global in scope and artistic in taste.

Fishbein organizes her recipes in the conventional manner: soups, snacks, main dishes, desserts, and so on. But she doesn't stop there. In addition to Meat, Dairy, and Parve for kosher eaters, she also tabs dishes for vegetarian kitchens and for food sensitivities. Since my house recently went gluten-free, her organization simplifies menu planning, freeing up time for tasty, worry-free cooking and dining. This is perfect for bachelor or childless households.

These recipes include Caribbean, Mexican, Italian, and Asian cuisines, adapted to a strict kashrut diet. Fishbein's message is that we can be observant and still be adventurous. If, like me, you're interested in kosher dining for potential health benefits, Fishbein also assures us that we can be healthy without renouncing the flavors we enjoy. Having followed several recipes, I realize that I can keep kosher without eating like a monk.

Nor does Fishbein stop with the act of cooking. Her book features entertaining tips, including complete menus and design options for themed parties. She offers handy pointers for how to streamline cooking, which I've already put to use in my habitually chaotic kitchen. This fun, good-looking, and accessible book teaches young or inexperienced cooks to prepare observant, healthy, tasty meals with a minimum of fuss and a maximum of flair.

5.0 out of 5 stars Way above average cookbook!, October 27, 2010
If you've ever had a kitchen full of teens crowding your kitchen wanting to bake or cook, you'll certainly be wowed by this cookbook. One of the things that was immediately apparent to me was the wide variety of recipes to suit every palate. For example, there was a fabulous recipe for peanut butter and banana French toast, but also one for a Tex-Mex salad. It isn't always easy to find a cookbook that will please so many people, but this one will. This is a book that you can purchase as an introduction to cooking for your `tween or give it as a gift for people of all generations.

Perhaps you are worried about purchasing a cookbook when you have someone in your household with special dietary needs. You'll be pleasantly surprised when you see colorful arrows directly to the left of each recipe indicating which group of people will not only be able to prepare the recipe, but also eat it. Each category is well defined in the front of the book, giving the young cook enough information to be able to cook for friends with special needs. The recipes, which are well represented in each category include "signs" for these groups:

Vegetarian: "V" This letter means that the recipe is set up for a lacto-ovo vegetarian . If you see this sign and don't eat eggs or dairy products you may need to adapt or avoid the recipe. For example, if you are vegan or vegetarian and don't "do" dairy, you can substitute the recommended Richwhip or a similar product when you whip up a Cappuccino Mousse.

Gluten-free: "GF" If there is a recipe that is gluten-free you need to make sure the ingredients you purchase are gluten-free. For example, any recipes that call for soy sauce you'll want to get something like Tamari which is gluten-free. Some of the other ingredients "like pasta, teriyaki, hoisin sauce, and other are available gluten-free but may be harder to find." If you can find them, you will be able to make many other recipes in this book.

Dairy-Free: "DF" There are several dairy-free recipes, including several in the dessert section. One suggestion is that you need to make sure "you use the parve version of a recipe. If you see a product in the store marked "kosher parve" is it totally dairy-free and has not come into contact with either meat or dairy when it was processed. This is also very helpful for vegans and vegetarians.

Nut-free: "NF" This cookbook makes it very clear that "nut allergies have become increasingly common" and indicates the need to do some careful label reading. Many foods state that they have been processed in a factory that also deals with nut products. A few examples of NF products include Red Velvet Cupcakes, Peach-Apricot Cobbler, and Sticky Orange Herb-Roasted Chicken.

In the front of the book are suggestions for preparation, setting up, cleaning up, shopping, planning menus, equipment needed, and additional notes of "safe food habits." Each recipe is accompanied by a mouth-watering photograph of the finished product. Basic categories include starters, munchies, soups, salads, poultry, meats, fish, pasta, dairy, side dishes, desserts, and some very nice suggestions as to how to create a party using some of these recipes. There are now seven cookbooks in "The Kosher by Design" series. There are more than nine-hundred recipes and soon an index of them will go up on the Kosher by Design Website as a free download. This nutritious and delicious variety of recipes is geared toward the younger set, but in my estimation this is not just your average cookbook . . . it's way above average, a cookbook that anyone would love to have!

This book courtesy of Mesorah Publications Ltd. in exchange for an honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much More Than A Cookbook, October 26, 2010
Susie Fishbein is one wise lady. Not only has she created a cookbook for Kosher preparation of meals, but she has also brought us all up to par on the current trends in preparing meals no matter what age group or style of cooking is involved. This is a wonderfully illustrated book of scores of excellent recipes, each balanced, each accompanied by advice, each nutritionally sound, and each sure to please even the most junk food addicted palate.

She opens this very generous book with guides to preparation, setting up, cleaning up - emphasizing the lack of need for extraneous gadgets to accomplish the finished product of the coming recipes. She then discusses how to shop for the menus in this cookbook, how to deal with special needs diets (vegetarian, gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free) and how to pay attention to ingredients in general. Then the fun begins: page after page of easy to follow recipes, illustrated beautifully, for 'starters', munchies, soups and salads, poultry and meat, fish, pasta, and dairy, side dishes and desserts. And to make the book complete for the new young cook she then outlines the indices for creating successful parties.

The presentation could not be more helpful and Fishbein's little comments here and there make this a fun book to browse and read as well as to be a solid resource from which to learn cooking. A perfect addition to the kitchen of young people and a fine idea for gift giving! Grady Harp, October 10

5.0 out of 5 stars another home run for Susie Fishbein, October 28, 2010
This cookbook is brand new and already it's a family favorite at my house. When we first received it, my (not-yet- teen) sons argued over who got to examine each page first. We then had to go straight to the supermarket to buy the ingredients we needed to start cooking some of the fun new recipes.

If you are already a Susie Fishbein fan, (and what kosher cook isn't?), you already know to expect a mouth-watering picture to complement each recipe. The directions for each recipe are clear and concise to accomodate the many levels of cooks who will love using this cookbook. But don't let the title deceive you. There's a wide range of foods in the cookbook which will certainly appeal to the whole family. Already family must-haves are the apricot sesame roast, sticky orange herb-roasted chicken, the homemade chickies, and of course, the chocolate tart in pretzel crust - yum!.

Susie's stories and helpful hints are always informative and fun to read. Her personality really shines through in her vignettes. I must confess - I enjoy reading the stories even when I'm not cooking. There's a bright and colorful photo-filled section at the end of the book with great party ideas that everyone will want to attend. If you're looking for new, delicious and fun recipes to cook, look no further - this is the cookbook to buy! Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Real Food Recipes - Highly Recommended, November 18, 2010
Not just for those keeping Kosher, "Kosher By Design Teens and 20-Somethings" is a great cookbook for easy to make dishes that will appeal to younger cooks. These recipes are designed to be made with easy to find ingredients, using standard kitchen appliances and cookware, and only a few require any special techniques that are beyond the complete cooking novice.

This is well laid out, easy to follow, and has absolutely beautiful full color photos of the finished dishes. There are recipe sections on "Starters", "Munchies", "Soups and Salads", "Poultry and Meat", "Fish, Pasta, and Dairy", "Side Dishes", and "Desserts", but also including brief sections on "Healthy Eating", "Equipment", "Special Diet Needs", and "Parties".

Being geared to "younger" chiefs, many of these dishes are bold tasting and prepared in an "easy to serve" format. Two standouts are "Cranberry Chicken Dippers" (page 14) and "Schwarma Chicken" (page 98) that I just had to try.

Another nice addition is the inclusion of notions on the recipes for those with dietary restrictions: (V) - Vegetarian, (GF) - Gluten Free, (DF) - Dairy Free, and (NT)- Nut Free

Highly Recommended!

CFH

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun Kosher Cookbook, June 26, 2014
I confess, I am no longer a twenty-something and my kids are not yet teens, but I bought this cookbook anyway. I am an avid fan of Susie Fishbein and I enjoyed this cookbook, too. My daughter and I had dun looking through it together and I have already made a number of the recipes. These are relatively simple, fun recipes -- like barbecue potato kugel and hot pretzel challah (we liked the latter, not so much the former). If you like her others, you'll like this one, too. Also great as a gift for a young single or teen, as she gives a lot of guidance in the descriptions and has a great basics section in the back.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointed, March 24, 2014
Having bought 3 of the other books in the Kosher by Design series (Passover by Design, Kids in the Kitchen, and Short on Time) and constantly using them, I was very excited when this arrived. My excitement has turned to disappointment. The only good things so far are the beautiful pictures and the recipes are easy to follow. We've tried only two of them so far and am not impressed. The maple syrup salmon recipe was just okay and will not be making it again. The Shawarma Chicken was absolutely disgusting. After everyone in my family tasted it, it got thrown in the trash which is painful considering the cost of kosher chicken. In addition, there are a lot of ingredients that are expensive and/or hard to find unless you live in a major "Jewish city". There are a few other recipes that I'll probably try, but this book definitely doesn't live up to the other ones that I have. If you're considering buying something from this series, please do not start with this one. Wish I could exchange it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›