Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Hardcover|Change

on October 28, 2010
I have all of Susie's cookbooks. They have literally altered the face of kosher cooking - and all for the better, of course. Many other kosher cookbooks that have come out since the original Kosher by Design (2003) show at least subtle evidence of Susie's stylistic influence, IMO.

Now she's published cookbook number seven - and I'm crazy about it. I'm clearly NOT a "teen or 20-something". At this stage in my life, I have 20-somethings. But she's taken a simpler approach to the 100 new recipes in Teens and 20-Somethings. The ingredient lists are shorter; the equipment needed is more basic. The prep times are shorter - in many cases shorter than her last cookbook - Short On Time.

The cuisine may be simpler and faster to prepare, but it's by no means simple fare. I love the international influences in this one - Thai Chicken Burgers, Mexican Pizza Empanadas, Hoisin Vegetables, Schwarma Chicken, and an amazingly tantalizing Creamy Gnocchi Salad. Oh - and I nearly forgot the Pizza Soup!

On the domestic front, there's equal diversity - from simple soups and healthy salads to such decadent wonders as Tater Tot Casserole, Southwest Rotisserie Chicken Wraps, Turkey Sliders, and what I think is a humorous breakfast hit (if you're old enough to remember the original) - Peanut Butter and Banana French Toast.

One word of warning: The desserts are rich so if you're counting calories anywhere in this cookbook, this is the section to do so! I have to recommend one dessert: the No-Bake Dulce de Leche Cheesecake. The recipe calls for a new-to-the-market kosher gelatin from Kolatin that is truly (and finally) equal to the non-kosher gelatins that we've avoided all these years.

Dessert calories aside, I have to "five star" this seventh Kosher by Design cookbook. It's just plain fun to work with.

And I do wonder - what will Susie whip up next? I hear she's already started on number 8!
on December 31, 2010
We cook a lot. 5 course meals, with each course have at least 5 dishes per. And we serve 10-15 at a time - at least once a month. We have been through every Kosher by Design too. And all we can say is - BEST COOKBOOK EVER! We've already made 22 recipes and everyone was a huge hit. Accessible ingredients but new combinations we never would have thought of.

Some of the great recipes: Tuna Casserole (beyond delicious), Spicy Garlic Bread (genius), Mexi-Cali Squares (awesome), Molten Chocolate Cake (nuff said), Turkey Sliders (beyond words...restaurant worthy).

The only downside? The title. This cookbook has NOTHING to do with Teens and 20-somethings. Some other suggestions for the Kosher By Design subtitles: Best Ever; Genius Recipes; For the 21st Century; Favorites Reinvented; Accessible Gourmet.

Enjoy!
on November 1, 2010
This is my first time reading one of Susie Fishbein's cookbooks and I have to say that I really enjoyed it. It is chock full of the greatest yet simplest recipes that someone can cook. Even though I am not in the age range for this cookbook, it was well worth my viewing.

The beginning of the cookbook has a couple of different sections. The first one talks about what you need to do to get started cooking. The second one gives you different healthy eating tips along with the right equipment to use. The third one tells you about the different labels and how to read them. Beside every recipe is a label to let you know what type of recipe it is. For instance, there is V for vegetarian, GF for gluten-free, DF for dairy-free, and NF for nut-free. So as you can see, this cookbook isn't just for regular diets, it also accommodates those that have health issues, which in this day in age is a great inclusion.

Just like most cookbooks, the recipes are broken down into different sections. I will break them down for you along with one of the recipes that I liked from each section.

1) Starters - Jamaican Jerk Chicken Wings
2) Munchies - Scones
3) Soups and Salads - Lox and Avocado Salad
4) Poultry and Meat - Teriyaki Mushroom Chicken
5) Fish, Pasta, and Dairy - Pesto Salmon
6) Side Dishes - Banana Pumpkin Cornbread
7) Desserts - Chocolate Chocolate Chip Sticks
8) Parties - Gives you ideas of party themes you can have

The recipes themselves are well written and very simple. One thing that I really loved is that there is a picture for every single recipe in the book. I love this because I like to see what it is going to look like before I make it. I need some kind of idea how it is going to turn out. They are very colorful also. Great presentation!

All in all I have to say that I really love this cookbook. I think that everyone should go out and purchase it. It will make a great addition to the ones they have or a great starter if they don't have one yet. I know this one has convinced me to go out and get her other ones and try them out.

I thank Marcus Wynn Group Public Relations for giving me this book for an honest review.
on May 12, 2013
If I were to rate this book on the graphics alone I would give it a ten star, other wise I have to caution anyone new to Kosher by way of trying to reclaim Jewish ancestry or heritage, this book does what it says, it informs you what you can make and stay Kosher, not really a book of Jewish cooking, two different things. Still for it's purpose, not a bad book.
on March 24, 2014
Having bought 3 of the other books in the Kosher by Design series (Passover by Design, Kids in the Kitchen, and Short on Time) and constantly using them, I was very excited when this arrived. My excitement has turned to disappointment. The only good things so far are the beautiful pictures and the recipes are easy to follow. We've tried only two of them so far and am not impressed. The maple syrup salmon recipe was just okay and will not be making it again. The Shawarma Chicken was absolutely disgusting. After everyone in my family tasted it, it got thrown in the trash which is painful considering the cost of kosher chicken. In addition, there are a lot of ingredients that are expensive and/or hard to find unless you live in a major "Jewish city". There are a few other recipes that I'll probably try, but this book definitely doesn't live up to the other ones that I have. If you're considering buying something from this series, please do not start with this one. Wish I could exchange it.
on June 26, 2014
I confess, I am no longer a twenty-something and my kids are not yet teens, but I bought this cookbook anyway. I am an avid fan of Susie Fishbein and I enjoyed this cookbook, too. My daughter and I had dun looking through it together and I have already made a number of the recipes. These are relatively simple, fun recipes -- like barbecue potato kugel and hot pretzel challah (we liked the latter, not so much the former). If you like her others, you'll like this one, too. Also great as a gift for a young single or teen, as she gives a lot of guidance in the descriptions and has a great basics section in the back.
Though I'm neither Jewish nor in this book's age range, I love this lavishly illustrated, concise, spirited cookbook. I recommend it to anyone who cooks for only a few people: the unmarried, students, night shift workers. Susie Fishbein's recipes are simple, most less than one page long, and can be prepared without exhaustive culinary skill. And though her recipes keep kosher, they are global in scope and artistic in taste.

Fishbein organizes her recipes in the conventional manner: soups, snacks, main dishes, desserts, and so on. But she doesn't stop there. In addition to Meat, Dairy, and Parve for kosher eaters, she also tabs dishes for vegetarian kitchens and for food sensitivities. Since my house recently went gluten-free, her organization simplifies menu planning, freeing up time for tasty, worry-free cooking and dining. This is perfect for bachelor or childless households.

These recipes include Caribbean, Mexican, Italian, and Asian cuisines, adapted to a strict kashrut diet. Fishbein's message is that we can be observant and still be adventurous. If, like me, you're interested in kosher dining for potential health benefits, Fishbein also assures us that we can be healthy without renouncing the flavors we enjoy. Having followed several recipes, I realize that I can keep kosher without eating like a monk.

Nor does Fishbein stop with the act of cooking. Her book features entertaining tips, including complete menus and design options for themed parties. She offers handy pointers for how to streamline cooking, which I've already put to use in my habitually chaotic kitchen. This fun, good-looking, and accessible book teaches young or inexperienced cooks to prepare observant, healthy, tasty meals with a minimum of fuss and a maximum of flair.
on May 16, 2011
Ok, here is something different for my readers to check out. Yes, I know I normally review only novels but when given the opportunity to review this cookbook; I thought well, why not? I have a family (husband, 2 small kids) and they have to eat sometime and let's face it, fast food isn't always such a good choice! So I was excited to get in this cookbook from Marcus Wynn Group Public Relations. Thank you Mark Sanders!

After seeing the book, I thought it had such a fun cover! This cookbook is aimed at the young crowd who are used to eating fast food and having someone else cook for them. I have to be honest; I've never really paid much attention as to who the authors were of cookbooks. Fishbein is a Jewish mother therefore a lot of her recipes are traditional dishes. You will find some here, however, among all these recipes you will also find Mexican, Thai, and some American-style dishes. So you get to change it up and try something different from another part of the world. After browsing this book I saw many yummy recipes I wanted to try.

You will find 100 easy recipes; Large full color photos with each recipe; Amazing party ideas; Handy icon to indicate if the recipe is vegetarian, nut-free, dairy-free or gluten-free. The introduction has a "Getting Started" section with everything you need to know on preparing, setting up and cleaning up your kitchen. She offers us healthy eating tips, essential utensils that you should have in your kitchen, along with menu planning ideas. The book is broken down into several sections and there truly is a recipe for everyone!

Here is a list of the sections you will find: Starters, Munchies, Soups and Salads, Poultry and Meat, Fish Pasta and Dairy, Side Dishes, Desserts, Let's Party section.

Here are some recipes I tried for myself and OH MY GOODNESS they were so yummy. Even the family liked them!

Turkey Sliders - Chocolate Tart in Pretzel Crust - Peanut Butter and Banana French Toast

Though I haven't gotten the chance to try everything, here are some recipes I can't wait to try on the family! Pink-Berry Lemonade, Mushroom-Crusted Roast Beef, Ellie's Onion-Crusted Chicken, Sticky Orange Herb- Roasted Chicken, Banana Buttermilk Pancakes with Strawberry Sauce, Banana-Pumpkin Cornbread. Tie-Dye Cookies, Easy Fudge, Lemon Crumb Cake.... and this is only about half of what I want to try.

Bottom line: You don't have to be a teen or even 20-something to try these dishes! Fishbein has the passion and skill to create amazing recipes. Susie Fishbein along with award-winning food photographer John Uher, have created a fantastic cookbook. I'd recommend this book to everyone and can't wait to share more of these recipes with my friends and family! Teens and 20-Somethings is due out for release on October 26, 2010

You can also check out Susie Fishbein other published titles:

Kosher by Design Entertains

Kosher by Design Short on Time

Kosher by Design Kids in the Kitchen

Passover by Design

Kosher by Design Lightens Up
on May 13, 2011
I bought this cookbook as a gift for my mom and I wish I bought myself a 2nd copy. As a teen/twenty something, I find this to be my favorite from the Kosher by Design series. Her recipes are simple to follow (some are even quicker than her short on time book) and uses more "teen friendly" ingredients.
Here are some of our favorites
Beef and barley soup
Maple-Roasted Pears and Sweet Potatoes
Parmesan Quinoa
Blondies
Molten Deep-Dish Chocolate Chip Cookies
I know it's a long list but I have so many favorites from this book. Thank you Susie, we can't wait for your next book.
If you've ever had a kitchen full of teens crowding your kitchen wanting to bake or cook, you'll certainly be wowed by this cookbook. One of the things that was immediately apparent to me was the wide variety of recipes to suit every palate. For example, there was a fabulous recipe for peanut butter and banana French toast, but also one for a Tex-Mex salad. It isn't always easy to find a cookbook that will please so many people, but this one will. This is a book that you can purchase as an introduction to cooking for your `tween or give it as a gift for people of all generations.

Perhaps you are worried about purchasing a cookbook when you have someone in your household with special dietary needs. You'll be pleasantly surprised when you see colorful arrows directly to the left of each recipe indicating which group of people will not only be able to prepare the recipe, but also eat it. Each category is well defined in the front of the book, giving the young cook enough information to be able to cook for friends with special needs. The recipes, which are well represented in each category include "signs" for these groups:

Vegetarian: "V" This letter means that the recipe is set up for a lacto-ovo vegetarian . If you see this sign and don't eat eggs or dairy products you may need to adapt or avoid the recipe. For example, if you are vegan or vegetarian and don't "do" dairy, you can substitute the recommended Richwhip or a similar product when you whip up a Cappuccino Mousse.

Gluten-free: "GF" If there is a recipe that is gluten-free you need to make sure the ingredients you purchase are gluten-free. For example, any recipes that call for soy sauce you'll want to get something like Tamari which is gluten-free. Some of the other ingredients "like pasta, teriyaki, hoisin sauce, and other are available gluten-free but may be harder to find." If you can find them, you will be able to make many other recipes in this book.

Dairy-Free: "DF" There are several dairy-free recipes, including several in the dessert section. One suggestion is that you need to make sure "you use the parve version of a recipe. If you see a product in the store marked "kosher parve" is it totally dairy-free and has not come into contact with either meat or dairy when it was processed. This is also very helpful for vegans and vegetarians.

Nut-free: "NF" This cookbook makes it very clear that "nut allergies have become increasingly common" and indicates the need to do some careful label reading. Many foods state that they have been processed in a factory that also deals with nut products. A few examples of NF products include Red Velvet Cupcakes, Peach-Apricot Cobbler, and Sticky Orange Herb-Roasted Chicken.

In the front of the book are suggestions for preparation, setting up, cleaning up, shopping, planning menus, equipment needed, and additional notes of "safe food habits." Each recipe is accompanied by a mouth-watering photograph of the finished product. Basic categories include starters, munchies, soups, salads, poultry, meats, fish, pasta, dairy, side dishes, desserts, and some very nice suggestions as to how to create a party using some of these recipes. There are now seven cookbooks in "The Kosher by Design" series. There are more than nine-hundred recipes and soon an index of them will go up on the Kosher by Design Website as a free download. This nutritious and delicious variety of recipes is geared toward the younger set, but in my estimation this is not just your average cookbook . . . it's way above average, a cookbook that anyone would love to have!

This book courtesy of Mesorah Publications Ltd. in exchange for an honest review.