Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Koss Communications USB Headset with Microphone (CS100-USB)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Style: USB|Change

on July 26, 2006
The headset is very light and comfortable, it might seem fragible but it is made of pretty good material. It will not apply pressure to your ears, and the earbuds are very comfortable, as well as having a slight 30º degree rotation (on its axis).

As far as sound quality goes, it is above average compared to other cheap headsets out there (~20$US seems to be the above average price). The speakers sound pretty decent, as long as you use them for voice. The high notes are pretty notable (accentuated a little bit too much), the midrange is ok, and the bass surprisingly manages to perform very well for the price. It is there and it serves the purpose of voice chat.

As far as the mic goes, it is not a professional mic (those are $30-$200), but it manages to perform well.

The microphone is very omnidirectional, so keep in mind for example I have a somewhat loud computer fan half a meter away from the mic, and you will hear it in the background.

As far as voice range goes, it manages to capture low notes pretty decently, again I have to restate, for the price, it is what you get. If you are not doing a radio show or a podcast, then this is great for voice chatting, gaming, voice recognition, etc.

A good tip would be to adjust the mic to be above the mouth by a few degrees and also turn its inner face way from you. Doing so allows for a better sampling of your voice as the recording will not be crippled by constant air noises from your breathing.

On the technical side, you might want to note that the microphone also has an outer side, so not only it captures your voice, but the ambient noise. The cord is pretty long, just enough to be comfortable, but not long enough for you to roam freely (I have it plugged in the front of my computer).

Final note: Good headset for the price, good for people on a budget.

Recommendation: If you want better quality, pay more, but if you just want to voice chat on Skype, this is great and cheap. Always test audio products before you buy them.
66 comments| 357 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 3, 2002
I found the fit and weight to be just fine, but the most important thing with a Speech Recognition Headset is the clarity of the Microphone, and I have found the microphone on these headphones to work better than any of the other Voice Rec Headphones I have owned.
0Comment| 183 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 15, 2004
Its perfect for in-game chat or when using teamspeak (or other IP-talk applications). Sound is Koss style (excellent), but not as good as Koss Porta Pro of course. The Mic is perfect. The fixed part of the arm rotates down to the mouth, the rest of the mic-arm is flexible and can be easily adjusted to any wish. Clear and good microphone. The cord is long compared to other headsets (more than 3 meters / 10 feet)
on February 6, 2007
I use them for dictating into Dragon Naturally Speaking, and they work great for the most part (as anyone who's used this program knows, you have to be patient and continually "train" the program). My only complaint (and it's probably not really a fault of the headset) is that if someone pops their head into the office and says "Hi!", or if the phone rings, the headset picks up this extraneous noise and the dictation recognition is affected. Maybe I should just close the door... Bottom line--I would definitely buy them again.
0Comment| 102 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 29, 2005
I do a lot of on-line gaming (Aces High with built in voice, WWII Online with Teamspeak, Battlefield 1942 with Teamspeak). These headphones are perfect for what I want. They are not the most-comfortable headphones in the world, but they are adequate, and the price is very cheap ($15 or so). More importantly, the dynamic range on the sound is great so that I can localize sound sources in the game (good for locating where a shot came from). Even the low-end rumble is good (so that explosions and tanks sounds good, for example). The microphone on this headset is outstanding. My voice quality on these games is better than what the majority of players achieve. People who use crappy mics sound crappy in the game (static or distortion) -- my voice quality is very clear. I have recommended these headphones for everyone I know who does on-line gaming.
on November 7, 2011
Although the earpieces still work I had to take this item apart to fix the microphone. When I opened it there were bare wires at every juncture. I had to wrap all the bare places and reconfigure the mic end so that it could still be used. Basically it's a very ugly lump of tape now but it works!
review image
on December 11, 2014
After using the headset for about 3 months, it quit working. I am sure that the failure was because the USB connector was damaged being used on a laptop. Sitting with the laptop in an armchair, the connector repeatedly ran into the right arm of the chair.

The connector includes a converter from audio to USB connection, and the converter is inside the long USB connector. The long connector was too delicate for my normal use sitting in an arm chair.
review image
on August 29, 2011
Item was suggested with Dragon Naturally Speaking software. Software already came with headset, so was not needed. Item is very reasonably priced, comfortable to wear and works well. Very easy to use.
on November 24, 2011
Following a web review I decided to buy the affordable Koss CS100 headset to use with Dragon Version 11. During setup I achieved 100% speech recognition when reading the back of the software box. What more could you want? It is comfortable to wear, well priced and works. Job done.
on November 28, 2011
There's not much to say about this item, except to say it does its job. I'm using it now on Dragon naturally speaking to dictate this review. What I do listen to music through the headphone part of this headset the fidelity is quite acceptable for a headset. All in all I'm a very happy customer.