Koss has produced a very interesting headphone here. It does not sound like any other I've listened to, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Published on June 24, 2008 by Tyrell Goetz

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was expecting.
Published on April 12, 2012 by chris koetters

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A pleasantly voiced closed back can for those seeking a laid back sound, June 24, 2008
Tyrell Goetz "Ty" (Spearfish, SD United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Koss MV1 Professional Studio Stereophone (Electronics)

First off, the treble energy is very recessed and laid back for a headphone claiming to be a hifi can. The tonal balance here is very dark. I would guesstimate that these cans are down at least 12dB at 10Khz compared to my reference headphones, the AKG K701. It does not appear to be a limitation of the driver but rather a deliberate design choice by Koss in the voicing of this product. Impressively it does not hold back these cans as much as you might think in areas such as high frequency detail retrieval and soundstage/imaging. Cymbals sound crisp and well defined with good air and separation for a closed back can in this price range, the sound is just rather recessed and muted. It results in a very mellow sound that places strong emphasis on the lower midrange and male vocals. There is definitely no risk of listening fatigue or sibilance/harshness on these cans. They fare surprisingly well with classical music, something I was not expecting considering the lack of treble energy.

The midrange is again mellow and offers good detail retrieval and dynamics for this price, but it is definitely not a reference or flat sound. They are very colored, and whether you find this to your liking or not will be hard to say. I personally find that it depends upon the vocals in the song being listened to. The midrange on these Koss flatter most male vocals (with a couple of exceptions), but tend to leave female vocals recessed and flat sounding. They tend to emphasize texture and chord movement within the frequencies they are exaggerating, so certain male solo performances come out with a very engaging and enjoyable performance, if not a realistic sounding one. If you are a stickler for accuracy these cans will not be to your liking, but their colorations make certain types of music quite enjoyable to listen to in my opinion.

Bass is strong, a bit too strong in the 100-200 Hz region, most likely made worse by internal resonance from the closed back design. Leading edges are detectable in most music, though the drivers seem to struggle to retrieve micro dynamics and other detail in the lower frequencies when things get very busy. They do alright for the price Amazon sells them for. Solo drum lines are taut and crisp with good punch for a phone in this price class. They also offer good weight to bass attack, though sometimes they sound a bit soupy and heavy if the primary frequency of the bass line is around or above 100Hz. Detail aside, the bass response itself is pretty fast and tight when driven by a quality amp. On a DAP or cheap receiver the bass is heavy, sloppy and dominates the musical presentation. They feel reasonably flat down to perhaps 40Hz and taper off sharply below that, but they will hit hard and pretty deep if that is what you are looking for.

Soundstage and imaging are, considering my comments about the treble response, impressive. One would expect the sound to be stuffy and closed-in, but instrument separation is remarkably good for the tonal balance present. Instruments are often present considerably "outside the head" when called for by the recording, though they offer overall a pretty intimate "in your head" listening experience like you'd expect from a closed back headphone design. Still, there is good ambiance and a full headstage befitting a proper hifi can when listening to the right recording.

Build quality is fair, not great. They appear to be made of metal from the picture. They are not. It is all painted plastic. Nothing feels flimsy per se, but I wonder how long the folding hinges will hold up over years of use. Comfort is a mixed bag. The headband is very comfortable, more so than my K701 in fact, but there is enough clamping force that the cups tend to irritate pressure points around your jaw over time. Worse is the matter of your ears getting hot and sweaty over long listening periods. In a warm room I can't make it more than 30 minutes before my ears are too hot to be comfortable anymore, and moisture condensation builds up on the plastic guard covering the drivers quite easily. I've actually wiped full drops off of them before, and this condensation must be getting to the drivers as well. I've thought of asking Koss directly if this presents a reliability concern for them, but Koss has been making closed cans with this type of rubber cup design for decades, so they must know what they're doing. The cups themselves seal around your ear quite securely, and block a great deal of ambient noise. The sound is affected noticeably by how you position them on your ears. I found that sliding them up and back until the front tips of my ears touch the edges of the cup, then centering them slightly after that produced the best tonal balance.

Overall, I am pleased with the performance they offer for the price paid. These are a very laid back sounding can and those seeking a high energy headphone with a "sparkle" or attack in it's treble should immediately look elsewhere. I would describe them as neither warm nor cold sounding, just very mellow with treble energy pushed to the back of the presentation. The midrange is never harsh and offers a colored but detailed and often very enjoyable listening experience with powerful bass to back it up. I bought these knowing their reputation for recessed treble energy and find that, for certain types of music, they present exactly the relaxing laid back sound I was looking for. You will not be getting listening fatigue with these headphones, that much is certain. I don't know if they would be worth their full retail price, but for the price they are selling at I think their performance is worthy purely on a technical level. So long as you understand their dark tonal presentation and the fact that they were clearly never intended to sound accurate (non-fatiguing being the motive) the MV1 proves to be an enjoyable headphone and a decent value within it's class.

Final note: For those who worry about break-in, I found that their sound changed mildly over the course of their first 100 hours of use. The treble opened up slightly and the bass/lower-mids leaned out a bit. This was a welcome and much needed change, as they simply sounded too dark when they were new. Quality of amplification matters too, as I've found they scale reasonably well with better amps. They would clearly pair well with a bright sounding solid state amp, but my slightly warm sounding Channel Islands VHP2 coaxes dynamics and details out of them that cheaper amps could not despite having a sonic signature that makes them sound even darker.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really nice sound, January 9, 2007
This review is from: Koss MV1 Professional Studio Stereophone (Electronics)
These headphones sound so good, I had to re tune my home theater. The level of detail is amazing. You would not believe the things that go on in the background during live recordings. I use these mainly while playing video games late at night as not to disturb my family. They are a little big and a little heavy but that is more than compensated for with the sound quality. Great product at a great price and I highly recommend them to anyone looking for some nice headphone at a reasonable price. Oh yeah, the build quality far exceeds some more expensive ones that I previously owned. If you are picky and stuck on the more expensive brands, you are passing up a great product.

4.0 out of 5 stars I just have to tell you my story, November 30, 2007
This review is from: Koss MV1 Professional Studio Stereophone (Electronics)
I bought my first headphones, which were on-ear Koss headphones, around thirty years ago. They were great and soon after I purchased the over-ear Koss Pro/4AAA--which were touted as THE pro headpones in their time. The Pro/4AAA have a lot of headroom in them and could easily handle my high-volume live electric guitar playing.

Now, fast forward about 27 years. My first Koss headhones had been tossed years ago, but I recently came across my ol' Pro/4AAA thrown loosely in a box I had in storage.

Sidebar: Over the years I have turned to Bose headphones (Quiet Comfort as well as their in-ear) and speakers. Bose sound better to me for general listening because I have a sensitivity to sound right around 2,000 hertz. The Pro/4AAA may be a little hot around 2k Hz, at least relative to Bose, which I believe adds to the sense of clarity in sound that others refer to. In this regard, the Koss headphones are much better for playing my guitar through them--for the clarity--and can easily handle the peaks in music much better than the Bose.

So, when I found the Pro/4AAA in storage, I though I'd give them a try, particularly since I'm playing in a classic rock garage band and I just broke my fragile Bose QuietComfort headband while wearing them playing guitar.

The Pro/4AAA sounded as good as I remember and I could really get loud with them. The only problem is that ear cushions (which surround the ear and isolate from external sound) where hard and crack--not particularly comfortable.

So I started looking for replacement cushions and eventually ended up at the Koss website. Not the most impressive website, but there I found replacement cushions for the Pro/4AAA. Again--THE HEADPHONES ARE ALMOST 30 YEARS OLD!!!

Even better, the replacement cushions--which appear to be the same closed vinyl Pneumalite as the original cushions--were only $5.00. INCLUDING SHIPPING!!! Let's recap--OEM replacement cushions for my 30 year old headphones for only $5.00. The shipping by US Mail cost them $1.47, so Koss made a total of $3.53 on the deal. The cushion arrived in a little over a week or two and they are perfect.

I was so impressed with all this, that I purchased these MV1s so that I would have another set of phones. They too sound great and they come with a full--no questions asked--lifetime warranty. Given how the Pro/4AAAs held up over the years, I'm certain that these MV1s will do as well and I have an amazing company like Koss standing behind them.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was expecting., April 12, 2012
chris koetters (St. Charles, MO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Koss MV1 Professional Studio Stereophone (Electronics)
First off, I am a huge fan of Koss, I have had a pair of UR-40's for years now and they sounded perfect. But the pair I had got a short in the cord so I looked for a new pair. After comparing a ton of different pairs of Koss cans, I decided to go with the MV1. Got them in the mail and plugged them in and the quality was horrible. Now, I work at a radio station and have a pair of headphones on 3-4 hours a day and these headphones are getting plugged into high quality audio equipment so it is not the source which is the problem, and that is proven by the quality I have on the UR-40's.

To expand on what I mean by "horrible quality" they have no bass and they don't have that "full" sound that I had with the UR-40's. It literally sounded like I had two aluminum cans on my ears with a mouse talking into them.

The only other issue I had with the phones is that they are a little too tight for me. I was getting a headache after about an hour of having them on, which has never happened before with other headphones.

These are being returned. Koss is still my go to headphones. Maybe I will have better luck with a different pair.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Headphones Worth Your Consideration, May 2, 2008
Art Griggs "TheCritic" (Sausalito, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Koss MV1 Professional Studio Stereophone (Electronics)
I have used several brands of headphones and I keep coming back to Koss. For those that don't know, Koss is the originator of stereo headphones and the MV1 is Koss' conventional headphone flagship. I am really enjoying the MV1 - after a serous break-in period (50-hours suggested) the overall sound quality is superb. I found the MV1s to be uncolored, accurate and offer a surprisingly deep base response. I'm sure that the MV1's titanium drivers contribute to the headphone's excellent performance. Immensely listenable, during use they are also "forgettably" comfortable. (With prolonged use any headphone can become irritating and one starts to fidget with them - I find that happens far less with the MV1.) They're certainly the best looking headphones I have used. BTW - When not in use the "cups" turn making storage easier. Included are a Koss case making storage simple (no dangling cord) and both sizes of phone plugs. The Koss MV1 Stereo Headphones are a definite recommended buy, more so condsidering the price here at Amazon.

Update - Koss has stopped producing this excellent headphone but inventory is still available here at Amazon. The MV1 comes with Koss' lifetime warranty that the factory readily honors. Again, recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous sounding phones..., March 4, 2009
A. Heifetz "Arlekino1" (Darien, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Koss MV1 Professional Studio Stereophone (Electronics)
I received these a couple of days ago. I decided to try them because I liked PRO4AAAT so much. The MV1's were gorgeous-sounding rought out of the box, and after a couple of hours they got even better. I have tried so many headphones and I have not found any to be as musically satisfying as Koss phones. The voicing is beautiful, timbres full and natural, and there is no congestion during loud passages. The sound is completely non-fatiguing. The MV1's are not small and not lightweight, but they are very comfortable - after a while, I forget that I have them on. Like anything else these days, I expected them to be imported from China, but only the included case is - the phones are made in USA. Kudos to Koss for such a fine product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Headphones, January 3, 2011
This review is from: Koss MV1 Professional Studio Stereophone (Electronics)
I had a pair of Koss Headphones for about 6 years. Last month they broke. I mailed them in to Koss and they repaired them (all I had to pay was shipping)!

I really appreciate this level of customer service and so when it came time to get another pair of headphones I went with Koss.

So far they sound great and block out most of the ambient noise - much better than even the Bose noise canceling headphones I've tried.

The do require me to turn my iPhone up almost all the way to be loud. All the way up is still too loud though so I'm happy. Also, while they haven't burned in yet they already sound great. If they are anything like the other headphones I've used they will only get better!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice sound for game, October 26, 2009
This review is from: Koss MV1 Professional Studio Stereophone (Electronics)
I am not an Headphone expert and i use this model for game.
The first time i used this headphone on my macbook pro, using a jack, i heard a noise. This is the noise of my computer. With other headphone i haven't this sound. Is it a default ?.. for me no. I can hear this sound because of the sensibility of the headphone.
Now, i use this headphone with a Home cinema linked to the Mac with an optical cable.
The sound is great, i ear everything in the game with a nice positionning.
This headphone works well with an ipod.

I ordered this headphone, from Amazon, friday and i received it Monday (France)... nice work Amazon & UPS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very satisfying headphones, May 4, 2009
This review is from: Koss MV1 Professional Studio Stereophone (Electronics)
I purchased these headphones for my son who uses headphones continuously while using his computer. He previously had some long term Yamaha's. Since he is also a musician, I decided to surprise him with some high quality mid priced headphones. He was "blown away" by the difference & of course likes them a lot. Another big plus, is they block external noise really well, even when not listening to music. A big selling point was the lifetime warranty that Koss provides. Awesome all around.

5.0 out of 5 stars not for iPod, great with decent amp, January 19, 2011
This review is from: Koss MV1 Professional Studio Stereophone (Electronics)
standard portable devices just don't have the power to run these headphones properly. Tried with iPod, terrible, a bit better with Droid II on tight base eq. They did sound good but generally lacked base and the power in powerful music like the new alice in chains and tool. They were fantastic for Shostakovich symphonies though, I think because the power of these are only resonant in the low range and not reliant on it. When I plugged the phones into my Gemini PA-7000 Professional Preamplifier (which is awesome and on sale now fyi), these problems were completely fixed and the sound was fantastic and very powerful (with flat eq).

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›