Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Melanie Martinez $5 Off Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Gear Up for Football STEM Toys & Games

Koss SB49 Communication Stereophone
Product Packaging: Standard PackagingChange
Price:$28.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on December 15, 2008
This is the first headset I've bought in a long time (3-4 years), so I wasn't sure how it would feel after such a hiatus. KOSS's SB49 showed me how much I had missed.

Looks/Construction:

Very nicely made, plastic shell/headband and volume controls, looks fairly durable...only time will tell. The volume control is very conveniently placed, has good range, and is very useful for on-the-fly adjustments.

Comfort/Sound:

I used two sources of audio to test Comfort and sound quality: Music and games.

MUSIC: One thing I noticed immediately was the strong bass presence. This is an excellent headset for ANY kind of music. I tried it with orchestra, rock, jazz, lounge and dance. Bass is very strong, nice highs+mids, I was able to hear flute and clarinet without having to strain. It's easy to wear these for hours without even noticing you had them on!

GAMES: I tried the headset with three games: Red Orchestra, Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress 2. I was simply blown away at the quality of sound. Especially in Red Orchestra, I was amazed by the clear cracks of gunfire. The positional audio is okay, but there's no real dramatic positional effects. The rumbling of tanks and explosions was made very clear and enjoyable with the strong bass. Voice quality (from both characters and voice chat) is also very excellent.

COMFORT: I usually play games for 2+ hours at a time, so wearing 'phones that deliver great sound quality without hurting my ears are a must. This headset does a pretty good job at this. It's a little heavy on the ears, and makes them sweat a LITTLE, and I usually have to take a small break every hour to rub my ears, but it's not bad at all, considering the excellent sound quality. The leather cushions around the ears make it a very satisfactory listening experience, and even have a slight noise-cancelling effect.

THE MIC: This isn't something I've used often before, but now I use it all the time in my games! I recorded a few phrases in Audacity to test its quality/volume, and it delivers! Very good quality, no static at all. The ONLY thing I would have liked better is if the wire were more flexible so I could adjust it to my liking. But this is only a minor grievance.

In conclusion, this is a great headset for a great price, quality sound+comfort, it will last you quite a while!!
on October 24, 2008
Excellent product!! Great sound quality, and microphone performance is absolutely flawless. I use this headset for internet radio broadcasting, and mic performance is very critical.
on February 29, 2008
Koss SB49 Communication Stereophone

The only major flaw to this, really, is the size. Some people dont like those bigger headsets, i dont mind personally. Even though its big, its comfortable, nice big oval shape ensures that it doesnt rest on your ears. The long mic is precurved to stick out infront, right to the side of your mouth. And the volume control is nice (its just a cheapy slider, not a round dial like most), but lacks a mic mute switch/button.

The product is great for a cheaper headset, highly recommended. Puts bass sound out very well, too.
on July 9, 2009
I've owned many Koss Earphones, both stereo and quad, but over the past 5 years have moved to other "lightweight" mp3 type ear bud and stereo phones, like Sennheiser.

Recently I started doing Internet DJ Radio, and needed a headphone with microphone. I looked at the Sennheiser and Logitech headsets, but wanted to give Koss another chance. Being an "audiophile" at heart, always loved the quality and durability of Koss earphones. After doing some research on all headsets, the Koss stereo phones had the best quality of sound, both for listening as well as having the microphone quality, and still being lightweight.

After getting these stereo phones, was pleased with not only the comfort, but how light they are. The quality of sound is excellent (as you would expect from a professional earphone, and from Koss), and the microphone is very sensitive (though Koss is not know in the audiophile world for recording, these earphones are an excellent introduction of a company not known for their microphones).

I will be enjoying using these earphones for many years, and considering that I still have audio earphones, from Koss, that I purchased almost 15 to 20 years ago, working, this is by no means, a small statement.

These stereophones "feel" robust, as you would expect from a Professional Earphone. The microphone boom allows you to move it up out of the way when not needed, and the swivel mount for the boom is even on a form of shock absorber, which you wouldn't expect, but makes these communication stereophones in a much higher quality bracket than you would think for the price. The closed ear cup gives excellent isolation for the microphone (which I might add, when I took off the earphones, the microphone actually caused feedback).

Final Word: If you need a pair of earphones with microphone, you can't beat this price, quality, and companies reputation. Even if you only need a professional pair of headphones, these can't be beat either.
on August 27, 2009
Lots of reviewers have given their feed back on how well this headset works. And it truly does work very well. The bass is really what sets it aside from other headsets. The comfort level is unsurpassed unless you have a very large head. Their is no pressure on the ears what-so-ever. The only thing is the heat that your body will generate wearing them. Of course you will get a custom to this after a wearing them for a while. But make no mistake your ears well get warm.
Extremely well built in my opinion. So you might ask then why 4 stars??? Well the mic is not adjustable at all. The boom swings up completely and thats perfect but not in or out. Now... in its defense the mic performs very well. Crisp and deep sounds are flawless. I will be using them for normal functions on my PC but will also use them for virtual classrooms. There was one reviewer that mentioned not being able to hear your voice when speaking into the mic. Like cupping your hears or having water in them. This can be easily fixed by clicking on the speaker icon in your taskbar and checking the "MIC" box. Voila sound!!! Just like the effect when using a normal home phone. All in all I am very pleased with this purchase and highly recommend it to all who want a quality headset.
on April 2, 2010
I bought this headset to make voice recordings and I think it works pretty well for this purpose, the recording quality is pretty good, not thin or crisp.
Construction and build quality is average to pretty good so far.
Headset fits pretty good on my head, but is not the best fit, and they tend to squeeze a little on my ears (because the ear cups are either too small or my ears are too big) so that after a few hours of use I need a break. The SB49 also blocks out ambient noises so you hear the music better than the noise around you.
The mic comes out on a rather stiff arm, but it is bendable and since it is quite sensitive you have quite a bit of room to re-position the mic where it doesn't bother you. It can also swing up or down to keep it completely out of your field of vision.

Sound quality is not that good, the bass is there but it sounds hollow somehow, and overall sound reproduction is not as well balanced as I would like.
I have another headset from Sennheiser that sounds much better, but they are also a bit more expensive and they don't have a mic.
However, the most important thing here for me has been recording quality and that has been pretty good, otherwise you may want to spend some more one something else.

One IMPORTANT side note: This headset will not work with most Mac computers because most Macs are "line in" and not "mic in"!! Line in means the signal (mic) is powered, un-powered sources like this headset will be completely silent. You will need a little USB sound adapter like the one from Syba running at $8 or so to save the day. Then in System settings choose the correct input/output settings.
on March 26, 2009
These are my first headphone since coming to the US. and trust me they are really good. for the 35$ including shipping i have paid, i feel its worth every penny and more.

The sound clarity is amazing, in fifa 2009 for the first time i could actually hear the rain drops during the football match, which usually drown with the crowd chants. i was amazed at that.

During VOip calls with skype, again crystal clear coverage and the people on the other end also found the sound from my side very clear.

I would recommend this product to anyone who asks me, lifetime warranty for the win!!
on August 5, 2009
I've just received these headphones today and was instantly amazed by how clear my music is through them. They surpass my old padded headphone by FAR! I'm very satisfied with this purchase. I recommend them.

Update 10/22/09:

After four month's use, I'm still pleased as punch with these headphones. They deliver better sound than I've gotten out of far more expensive sets. The sound quality is still superb, even at the highest volume. They are also more comfortable than any other headset I've owned. Highly recommended!

P.S. I use these for Skype as well as music, and I'm told I come across crisp and clear on the other end!
on April 29, 2009
I bought these because I thought "no questions return guarantee and lifetime guarantee". If anything goes wrong, Koss replaces them. If you try them, there is no risk .

I'm a podcaster. I use them 2-4 hours a day everyday 365 days a year.They have NEVER let me down. And for the money, the mic is the best you will find at the price.

One note: If you have a large head. these will need some breaking in. Out the box, they are pretty tight around your head.
on October 1, 2008
These are worth the money. I kept buying the cheap Walmart $15 headphone/microphone set and went through about three of them before deciding to get these. They have already lasted more than twice as long as one cheap set of headphones. The sound is great and the microphone is great.

These really isolate your ears from external sound. That is great if that is what you want. I use them in the office to drown out distractions. They are also very durable - but somewhat bulky. Without the case the pad for the microphone would come off soon - I would recommend getting the case if you are going to travel with them.