Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Package Quantity: 1|Size: Individual|Change

on January 16, 2012
I received this as a gift last Christmas. I am in love with this bento box! Here is a quick video of it.
11 comment| 246 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 6, 2010
I ordered two pandas and two frogs for my 4 kids (from ages 2-10). They arrived today and I should probably wait for a day to see how they actually hold up going to school, but I am really excited about these boxes! On first glance they appear to be too small, but when I really think about how much lunch my kids are really able to consume in their short lunch period at school, I think it is just right and will prevent waste. I did try to close them up tonight and flip them over to see how lunch would fare in transit and, because of their small size and how tightly packed I had to make them, nothing moved. I didn't even use the inner tightly sealing lid on the top.

Edited: They made it to and from school without spilling. The kids were able to use the bands on them to reclose them. No problems whatsoever and they didn't even eat everything in the boxes!
33 comments| 88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 18, 2011
This was my first Bento Box purchase, and I can't decide if I want it for myself or will designate it as a Bento for my little girl- she's 2. It's really cute, feels like fairly good quality. My little one is a big eater. When I pack her Bento, I've found that if I set out the amount of food she will eat, then cut it into bite sized pieces, it all easily fits in the sealed top compartment of the Panda Bento. It IS a snug fit, but the idea is that the food is secure and will not shift around to allow items to crumble or bruise. I also purchased some Wilton silicone cups from Michael's Crafts to use as dividers- they make both traditional muffin cup shape and heart shaped cups. Both types fit great in the bottom tier of this box, but seem just slightly too tall for the top tier- it is still possible to put the inner cover on the top layer even with the cups inside, but it's just not quite as secure a fit. The Kitchen Supply mini- muffin silicone cups fit inside either tier comfortably, but there is a gap above the top edge of the cup though, so items could spill over that top edge in transit.

I was very curious about the number of milliliters this box holds, as I couldn't find that info anywhere, yet a lot of folks choose their Bento Box size by the number of mL it holds. So- I put water in the compartments and stacked/sealed them so that they were all filled to the brim, but only the actual carrying capacity would be measured. When I then poured off the water to measure it, I found the bottom tier holds 310 mL, while the top tier holds 220 mL, for a total of 530 mL if you use every single bit of space. According to Bento web sites, I probably need about 600-700 mL as I am a 5'9" active female. So- if I keep it for myself and want a satisfying lunch, I'll probably bring something else as a side snack in addition to what fits into this box.
33 comments| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 18, 2010
I don't eat a lot for lunch so this is perfect! It fits about a cup of cooked rice on the bottom and lots of veggies on the top. It is very small, but if you don't eat much it's great. Plus, it's a /ninja panda/!
on July 9, 2013
This video shows the size (in comparison to a pen as well as a ruler), tier configuration, and water-tight abilities of this bento box. The elastic band is tight enough to wrap around only the top tier if desired. Large enough for a child's lunch, snacks, or a light adult lunch. Exterior is durable enough for a backpack or purse, and the sealed top tier seems safe for liquids (I shake the box quite a bit in the video and no water leaks out).

Sorry for the shaky camera! Had to hold the camera and manipulate the box at the same time.

EDIT: After several months of use, this bento is still holding up with gentle hand washing. I made the mistake of microwaving the small plastic lid on one of my other bento boxes, warping it slightly. I use this bento primarily for cold snacks so it hasn't been microwaved, but I wouldn't microwave the clear lid. On my other boxes, the containers themselves have held up well with microwaving. It's a great way to pack a portion controlled lunch or snack.
review image
on February 2, 2011
After reading through the previous comments, I notice that the worst reviews were based primarily on the small size of this bento. Not so fast!

I'm a mom of two boys, 12 and 17. I had been wanting to try bento because I wanted to get my boys veered back into eating more healthy lunches. Bento is an excellent stealth way to get your kids to eat healthily, and not even realize it! Because the bento is small, you have to really think about what is going into the lunch. Although I admit I thought they would starve with the small lunch when I first opened this, that hasn't been the case at ALL! Here is an example of a typical lunch in this bento:

Bottom layer: this is where the main item goes. Easily a 1/2 cup brown rice or buckwheat(soba)noodles with curry or meatballs, etc. on top OR it fits a regular sandwich w/crusts cut off (I just use the top of the bento as a 'cookie cutter' so the sammich fits perfectly). The second layer, with the lid, will have some steamed broccoli/carrots, one small cookie (cut in half and placed side-by-side), and slices of 1/2 apple, grapes, or other fruit. Any room left over and I can squeeze a few mini pretzels or crackers, too! Believe me, the amount of food that can be put in this puppy will amaze you! Now, sometimes I do give them a whole apple in addition, but trust me when I tell you, even my always-hungry teen and tween report back as having a filling lunch. AND, yeah, they like the cutie bentos because girls think they are cute so, yeah. Who knew bentos were such chick magnets, lol!
on August 29, 2009
I bought mine at Natural Pantry and it's just the right size for my son. I can fit his sandwich (cut in the panda shape) in one tray and everything else in the other layer. At first glance it seems to small but actually it's just right. His other lunch bag is big because of all the containers we use....now we don't need them. : )

He has used it a few times and so far it gets 5 stars from him that's for sure.
on February 3, 2012
My daughter received this as a gift from her grandmother. When it first arrived, I thought it was too small, but my daughter (a teenager) insisted she use it for her lunch. I was able to pack 8 chicken nuggets, some grapes, two rice balls and a boiled egg (I uploaded a pic). There was even room for a little soy sauce container. Everything stayed in place and clean-up is super easy. This one will be used time and time again for my daughter's lunch.
review image
VINE VOICEon September 16, 2010
I always send a bento box to school for my son's lunch and am always looking for new ones. This panda is so adorable and extremely functional. Please do note the size, it's great for a child or for smaller foods (I just don't want anyone to think this is large because it's not). It has a top which has a snap on lid and bottom and held together by the black band which is just too cute. I wash all pieces except the snap on lid and band in the dishwasher and they come out beautifully. To give you an idea what this box fits, here is an example of what I put in my son's...Bottom half are mini sandhwiches (I use cookie cutters for the different shapes) 2 slices of bread worth. The top I use the mini wilton silicon cupcake cups (4 of them) and fill that with nuts, cheese, baby carrots and mini oreos or something like that. This box makes his lunch fun and he always requests it :-) Don't hesitate it's very well made and perfect for a childs lunch for school and this box fits perfectly in a standard sized lunch box!
on November 5, 2013
Pros: very cute, my kid likes it, the compartment that is supposd to be watertight is watertight, it's sturdy, the parts that are supposed to be microwave-safe seem to really be microwave-safe.
Cons: Headband didn't arrive with cute eyebrows as shown! Also the words "Panda etc etc." shown on the bottom compartment aren't there. False advertising! Aside from that, it's annoying to have to handwash the lid of the watertight compartment everyday. It also isn't made of an easy plastic to get grease off of, so sometimes I have to wash it several times. The groove around the edge of the lid is also very hard to reach into to wash; you have to use a toothbrush or something small to fit in there. Finally, it is very easy for a child to lose the elastic, so buy some extra elastics. (I only found some from other companies, so they aren't the same as the original, but at least they work. A rubber band also works fine, but isn't as cute.)

Edit: After half the school year, the paint on the panda's face on the cover has scratched, and the bottom of the top layer has cracked in the dishwasher.