Published on October 22, 2011 by Doug B

3.0 out of 5 stars I would of given it a 3.5 if I could!
While I'm a big megaman/rockman fan, there's just a little left to be desired even for Protoman.

Construction of the model will take barely an hour if you build him straight up. But if you want him truly accurate to not only the box display but to videogame art work you'll need to paint him in several areas.

To get the best results just get a small...
Published 19 months ago by James Lee Owings III

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice model kit, sets a good standard on what I've come to expect from Kotobukiya., October 22, 2011
This review is from: Kotobukiya Mega Man: Protoman Plastic Model Kit (Toy)
This was the second model kit I purchased from Kotobukiya's Mega Man / Rockman line, I had already built Mega Man( Kotobukiya Mega Man: Rockman Plastic Model Kit ), and I purchased Roll( Kotobukiya Mega Man: Roll Plastic Model Kit a short time after I bought Protoman. For those unfamiliar with this style of model kits, the majority of the pieces come on plastic sprues, and you need to cut out the pieces and assemble them according to instructions. I recommend using small wire cutters for removing pieces from the sprues and either an x-acto knife or sanding paper to file down the excess bits of plastic as needed. This kit took about an hour to assemble, and it looks really good. It is a little meticulous for those unused to the kind of kit, but it really pays off.

The first thing longtime Mega Man fans will appreciate about this kit is the size - it stand about 5.5 inches tall. I also have the Mega Man 8 Bandai Proto Man kit from the late 90's, and he only measures up at around 3.5 inches. This kit has a much more durable look to it simply based on the size. Now let's talk accessories. Protoman comes includes three different face plates - a smiling face, an annoyed face, and a signature "whistle" face. They're a little tricky to switch out because you use the same visor each time, instead of removing the entire face section, but its not too bad. He comes with three pairs of hands, an open hand, a clenched fist, and a hand to hold the E-Tank. The E-Tank is the only part of the kit I'm not crazy about, it's a dark grey color that is obviously not the correct color, and you have to use a wet-apply decal to actually put the "E" on it. However, I don't display him holding the E-Tank anyway, so it doesn't bother me. He also includes the Proto Buster, which easily switches out with either normal forearm piece. Finally, he has his shield, which doesn't look superb(all bright red plastic on the inside), but is held easily in a hand or attaches to his back no problem. If the coloring really feels off to people, they always have the option to paint the kit after assembly, and I'm just not that concerned about it looking perfect. The instructions do include a recommended color guide for those interested in the painting outlet, though. Finally, there is a pretty neat translucent yellow energy shot which can attach to the tip of the Buster Cannon.

Overall a great model kit! Joints are solid, posability is great for a plastic kit, and it looks really good with no additional work after assembly. Please note that I only gave the kit 3/5 stars for durability because, although this is pretty impressive for what I've come to expect from plastic kits, it is a model kit first, action figure second, and needs to be treated appropriately. This is something for collectors/serious enthusiasts, not kids. Check out the photo which I will upload shortly after this review with all three of the currently available Rockman/Mega Man kits.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool looking, but guess what..., August 17, 2011
This review is from: Kotobukiya Mega Man: Protoman Plastic Model Kit (Toy)
When I was in high school, I collected the Megaman X model kits that were released in Japan. There were quite a few to collect and build, and back then, I was pretty happy with how they looked. As time went on however, I wanted something more poseable- those old kits could only do so much, and were usually stuck in regular standing poses. Enter these model kits by Kotobukiya, that finally give Megaman fans the freedom to pose their models. If you're new to these kits, and this is the first one you're buying, keep one thing in mind:

You're going to be putting this dude together yourself.

That's right. When you open the box, you'll be greeted by many different frames holding all the pieces that make up Protoman, and you'll be snapping each one off, one by one, putting him together with help from the instructions. If you were hoping that Protoman would be assembled, like he's shown in the stock picture, right out of the box, you'll be disappointed, and maybe even intimidated.

After assembling Protoman, you end up with a very good looking figure. In fact, this is probably the best Protoman I've ever seen in this scale (about 6 inches tall). All the details are there, the scarf looks great, and Protoman has no problems standing up on his own, even in more extreme action poses. He has ball joints to freely move the arms, wrists, and other areas, and comes with a good number of extra hands, and even a total of three facial expressions you can swap out. The shield can be held in either hand, or stored on his back if you wish. I have zero complaints with the appearance...to an extent.

The big problem is, like with the old Megaman X model kits, since you'll be snapping these off the trays, there'll be stray sharp bits of plastic (think hangnails on toys) sticking out of him. Unless you have a hobby knife or fine file, there's no way to really take care of these easily, apart from using the utmost concentration when removing pieces from the trays. It's this reason alone that makes me wish this had been assembled from the start, so all those little imperfections wouldn't be there. Check anyone's pictures of this model, and you're bound to see the little sharp bits. Because Protoman is a model and not an action figure, he's also prone to falling apart easily. It's easy to swap the hands out for other ones, but it's just as easy for a leg to come off by accident. My last minor gripe is that I feel this model, and the others in the Megaman line, are a bit overpriced, especially when you factor in shipping from most retailers. That much for a small model? While the articulation -might- justify the price, I can't help but feel these should cost a little less. But hey, Megaman fans won't care when they have their own Protoman doing some cool poses next to their other figures.

So as long as you're fine with putting this guy together, and know that some extra work is needed to get rid of the toy hangnails, by all means, go for it. But for more casual Megaman fans, I say pass and just get one of the much cheaper figures that were released over the last few years in most toy stores. Ironically, those ones are more durable.

5.0 out of 5 stars For true fans!, February 2, 2013
This review is from: Kotobukiya Mega Man: Protoman Plastic Model Kit (Toy)
Loved putting this together! So-detailed; it was insane to see how all these parts would make the famous Protoman. I would definitely like to get Megaman/Roll if they weren't so jacked-up in price. Regardless, I managed to get one of the last Kotobukiya Protoman Model Kits. I'm very happy with this purchase. Shipped literally over-night and had nothing wrong with it. Thanks Amazon!

4.0 out of 5 stars Remove and replace pieces for better posing., June 3, 2013
This review is from: Kotobukiya Mega Man: Protoman Plastic Model Kit (Toy)
When you get one, you have to get the other, right?

Kotobukiya Rockman was my introduction into Japanese model kits. It was so much fun to build, that I had to get another. Naturally, everyone loves Blues (Proto Man), so I got that next.

It was a fairly straightforward build, especially after completing Rockman, seeing how similar the bodies are. But the glasses, scarf, and shield add for a more original look. The plastic is very high quality, and I'm not afraid of any of the pieces coming apart.

While the scarf is necessary, it does hinder some articulation without it popping off. The dangling piece(s) have a round peg that attach to the part wrapped around the neck, so it can move around. However, if you want to do some action poses, first remove the scarf and reattach it later.

The shield sits comfortably, but take the same advice when you want to pose the figure. Since there are no eyes for the character (seeing as his shades are the eyes), Blues still comes with additional mouth pieces.

Overall, great, and worth the money if you want to build your own sketch-accurate Blues. Now that I'm done with Rockman and Blues, I'm considering getting Roll, though I do admit I'm not really that interested in the kit.

3.0 out of 5 stars I would of given it a 3.5 if I could!, December 9, 2012
This review is from: Kotobukiya Mega Man: Protoman Plastic Model Kit (Toy)

To get the best results just get a small detail brush, a little tape to seal off areas you don't want colored and maybe just a bit of primer.

By half the day you'll have a really good looking and accurate representation of such an iconic figure in the video game industry.

But on a down side, do becareufl with areas such as the shoulders as they can explode into pieces just like his Megaman counter part.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adorable!, December 2, 2012
This review is from: Kotobukiya Mega Man: Protoman Plastic Model Kit (Toy)
Love this lil guy's posability. So dashing, too! Received it pretty well. Got this for my boyfriend along with the Megaman kit.

Kotobukiya Mega Man: Protoman Plastic Model Kit