4.0 out of 5 stars Good Pantry Staple - but it has it's limitations
When I was very young I tried using this exceedingly dry cheese to make a sauce and I don't advise it. As I recall, it never did blend in smoothly and the result was rather grainy. Small grains but grainy lumps nonetheless. (Poor hubby- lol).

Published on January 9, 2006 by PeaTee

1.0 out of 5 stars just gotta know
I am trying to understand how Amazon can charge 17 dollars for 8oz of grated cheese. Anyone who orders this needs their head examined or something. This is one of the worst screws I have seen on Amazon to date. Its about 5 in most stores and cheaper in others so you figure it out. Just PUCKERUP cause you are getting kissed. HAHA
Published on April 3, 2011 by M. Waldee

1.0 out of 5 stars just gotta know, April 3, 2011

1.0 out of 5 stars Kraft Foods RIPOFF, January 17, 2013
This review is from: Kraft 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese, 8 oz (Misc.)
Kraft Foods has taken it upon themselves to reduce the amount of Parmesan Cheese in their plastic jars. Now instead of the contents reaching to the top, there is now roughly a 1 inch gap of open space in each jar, and as a purchaser of this product for over 40 years, I am furious !!!

Even though the new jars are marked down to $2.99, give them a few months and they will be charging the consumers for a FULL BOTTLE !!!

UPDATE

It has been well over a year since my review above and now the situation is much worse, this as the level of cheese content inside the jar is now even lower.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Pantry Staple - but it has it's limitations, January 9, 2006
This review is from: Kraft 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese, 8 oz (Misc.)

But as something to keep in the pantry or fridge to throw on top of spaghetti, garlic toast, a salad, or into meatloaf at the last minute, it's great.

Three and a half Stars. Kraft Parmesan Cheese has it's place in the kitchen. Not so much as a source of Alfredo sauce, but rather as a condiment.

Reasonably priced. Long shelf life means you have a fall back position if your block Parmesan has gone too moldy. Unlike some brands there are no `fillers'. Only two preservatives; one to preserve flavor, the other to prevent caking.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product but cheaper elsewhere, June 17, 2014
This review is from: Kraft 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese, 8 oz (Misc.)
Kraft Parmesan Cheese itself is a great product. We use a lot of parmesan cheese in our house and we go through a canister every few weeks or so. Over the three decades I've been using parmesan cheese I've tried other brands, and I keep coming back to Kraft. The store brands and other discount brands might save you as much as 50˘ per container, but they're not as good. Kraft parmesan cheese is finer and tastier and doesn't clump. And it contains no fillers. About the only way you can get better Parmesan cheese is to buy a brick and grate it yourself. However, for convenience Kraft can't be beat. That said, the price of $7.00, which is the current price listed (as of June 17, 2014) is far more expensive than you need to pay. I can generally get the 8-ounce container for $3.50 or less at our supermarket.

3.0 out of 5 stars Needed my parmesan fix, January 2, 2013
Aaron Vines (Inland Empire, Ca) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kraft 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese, 8 oz (Misc.)
Total impulse buy I'm afraid. The cheese is fine. I just ended up paying double for the product compared to the local grocer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yum Yum, March 7, 2014
This review is from: Kraft 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese, 8 oz (Misc.)
A must have always in your kitchen shelves.
Add flavor to your pastas and meat sauces
and various other dishes. Delicious and
always makes a difference when adding
it to your foods.

1.0 out of 5 stars Kidding? This is $1.68 at Krogers! Not even organic, just a processed 'food', September 30, 2013
This review is from: Kraft 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese, 8 oz (Misc.)
If you're buying this here you must either live 100's of miles from any grocery or you're really clueless. This product (cheap processed cheese) cost under $2 at Krogers/Walmart etc!

5.0 out of 5 stars Kraft Parmsean Cheese, April 24, 2013
This review is from: Kraft 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese, 8 oz (Misc.)
LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! I use it in and on so many recipes. In fact I am using it today to make noodles!! My family loves it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Parmesan for Addition to Pasta, Salad or Pizza, July 20, 2005
This review is from: Kraft 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese, 8 oz (Misc.)
Parmesan cheese has been a favorite of mine since I was a small child. The first parmesan cheese I tried, and my long-time favorite, remains Kraft parmesan cheese. While freshly grated parmesan cheese from a deli can have a better flavor, given that many of us do not have access to such a deli, Kraft parmesan is a very good general purpose parmesan cheese.

Parmesan cheese is one of the oldest of Italian cheeses, developed, surprise, in the town of Parma. Kraft grated parmesan cheese was first introduced in 1945, and remains a consumer favorite.

When Kraft parmesan is first opened, the smell somehow makes you feel a slight bite and also makes your mouth water. The taste Kraft parmesan brings to sphaghetti, pizza, salad, or any other suitable food is wonderful, adding a tang that makes the food flavor more interesting. I strongly recommend that you try to keep this cheese as short a period of time as possible to keep it as fresh as possible. By doing so, you will enjoy Kraft parmesan each time you use it.

1.0 out of 5 stars A Different Perspective, March 13, 2007
This review is from: Kraft 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese, 8 oz (Misc.)
In reading the three reviews written thus far, I more fully appreciate the reasons why voters of the United States elected George W. Bush to serve a second term as President of their country.

We like what is familar and often lack exposure to options and the set of skills needed to guide us in developing discriminating taste. Nostalgia governs our feelings about food. When I was growing up cheese-like particles in cardboard cylinders were the only alternative to orange squares of individually wrapped processed cheese. Thus, I was content to shake the stuff on top of my bowls of Campbell's soup. Life was fine. Even better when the surface where the powdery substance fell was pizza or spaghetti. It offered an interesting textural contrast and proved a relatively inexpensive source for sodium.

Then as I grew up and the world changed along with me. I met people who spoke different languages and visited and lived in their countries. I learned the difference between the processed and highly industrialized foods I grew up eating and the kinds of fresh produce I could find on a market street in France or a piazza in front of a church in Italy. After becoming comfortable inside foreign supermarkets, I explored small cheese shops, bakeries, charcuteries and butcher's stores. Back home, brave, determined souls with more vision than I began businesses, farms and urban markets that translated what is good about European artisanal foods and farms into American terms. Immigrants from around the world also enriched our culinary lives by bringing their beloved traditions here.

However good a goat cheese from Vermont can be, it is not the same as a living chevre from a small region in France. Even if Kraft were interested in making that kind cheese, the size of the corporation prohibits such a process. Nor could it ever reproduce the exquisite character of Parmigiano-Reggiano. The craft of making this regional cheese from Parma has been refined over centuries by a consortium of cheese makers. It depends upon great skill. Cows eat grass and breathe different air, factors that contribute to the kind of milk they produce. That milk becomes enormous wheels that are aged for a minimum of two years, preferably three, until pale crystals form in the golden surface that cracks unevenly as a trained cheese monger thrusts a pick into a newly opened cheese. The taste is pronounced rather than sharp to the tongue, buttery, sweet yet mellow, nutty and utterly one of the best things one might ever experience in life.

I urge you to take advantage of the fact that you are able to buy authentic Parmigiano-Reggiano imported from Parma, Italy these days. Look for the words "PARMIGIANO REGGIANO" perforated on the surface of the rind in black dots with a red insignia. These are signs that you are getting the real thing. It's not inexpensive, but then again, it isn't cheap either. Price is a lot less than the bill for a new flat-screen TV.

Serve it in small chunks, room temperature, with ripe fresh pears or grated on top of your favorite dishes where it actually melts. Let Kraft continue to corrupt American culture and prepare our country's citizens for years of obesity, mediocrity and high dental bills. You, on the other hand, can lead a better life without the shiny little green cylinder of cheese-like processed goods.

Kraft 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese, 8 oz