5.0 out of 5 stars The Cheesiest.
Published on March 11, 2010 by A. Mesarosh

3.0 out of 5 stars Good... but no longer "the best"
Published on May 15, 2008 by Patrick W. Crabtree

5.0 out of 5 stars The Cheesiest., March 11, 2010
As I sit here, with a mouth full of this fine Kraft product, I can't help but remember that fateful December afternoon. The war had ended some time ago, yet you could still hear the resentment resonating through the townsfolk's gnashed teeth. Jake and I were at the bar, as usual, trying to drink away the sun. The barkeep, sliding a filthy rag across the counter, squinted as he tried to read our shirts. He let a grin escape and shook his head.

"You got a problem, old man?" Jake took off his glasses.

The barkeep ran his forearm across his wrinkled face. "Ain't no problem here. You boys have guts, is all, wearin' those Kraft logos around these parts. This is a Stouffer's county."

Jake stood up, sliding his stool back across the hardwood floor. "If I wanted to choke down frozen food, I'd move my ass to Alaska. I'll take The Cheesiest any day." We used to call him Jake the Patriot. Always looking for a fight. I grabbed his arm in a vain attempt to pacify him. Looking around the room, I saw we were vastly outnumbered.

"Choose your next words carefully, son. Don't look like you're makin' many friends here." The bar patrons began edging closer to us. There was a wild look in their eyes; the kind that only came from malnutrition. I felt a moment of pity for them. Who could deny the inherent benefits of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese?

Jake discreetly slipped brass knuckles on underneath the counter. "You heard me." He turned, addressing the whole room. "Stouffer's is garbage." The patrons exploded. Frozen bricks of macaroni were tossed at us. We fought off near twenty men, leaving each one with regret. Jake turned back to the barkeep, spitting blood onto the floor. "That, old man, is why Kraft will always win."

As we walked out, stepping over the injured men on the ground, the old man called after us. "You boys forgot one thing." He walked to the back-room door. "Mastodons love Stouffer's." He flung open the door and dove under the bar. A giant mastodon crashed through the frame, charging directly at us. I luckily threw myself out of the way. Jake, the poor kid, was not so fortunate. I watched in horror as the giant animal gored him with its tusks. It dropped Jake, looked around, and walked out as quickly as it came. I ran over to Jake's body, crying out. He looked up at me, his life slowly slipping away.

"Keep up the good fight, buddy. Never forget what Stouffer's has done to me. Tell the world." He was gone. Since that day, a rage has been building inside me. This injustice cannot be forgiven.

I call upon all of you to eat the delicious Kraft Macaroni and Cheese in memory of Jake. Tell your friends. As you're stirring The Cheesiest cheese into boiled macaroni, just think. One day, we will be able to live without fear of the Stouffer's Mastodon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comparing Kraft's 'Deluxe' mac & cheese dinners, May 22, 2007
Amazon sells four Kraft Macaroni & Cheese Deluxe dinners. They're all pretty good. Each uses packets of cheese sauce, not packets of powder, so the cheese is never clumpy and distributes itself evenly. My husband, teenage daughter and I cooked up all four and did our own taste test. Here's what we found:

The Original Cheddar flavor (Kraft Macaroni & Cheese Deluxe Dinner, 14-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 8)) is good. Plenty creamy, it tastes like a homemade version of the Kraft standard (i.e., Kraft Macaroni & Cheese Scooby Doo Shapes, 5.5-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 24)).

This one, the Sharp Cheddar flavor, is slightly tastier, and has a subtle smoky aftertaste.

The light meal (Kraft Deluxe Macaroni & Cheese Dinner - Light, 14 oz) is pretty good, but when you try it side-by-side with the original flavor you can tell it's not as rich. Still, if you only buy this one you'll be happy. If you're counting calories go for it.

The Four Cheese meal (Kraft Macaroni & Cheese Deluxe Dinner, Four Cheese Sauce, 14-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 12)) is, in our opinion, the best. With the most cheese flavor, it combines American, cheddar, colby and parmesan, and tastes similar to what you'd find at a decent restaurant. The parmesan flavor is especially noticeable.

These Deluxe dinners cost about twice as much as the basic Kraft boxes, but in each case you can really taste the difference.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good... but no longer "the best", May 15, 2008
Sometimes we buy products simply because we always have done so... in other words, "brand loyalty". Kraft has a very good and reliable name, and their macaroni and cheese dinner is a good product, and we still expect the best quality from them.... but Kraft has maintained the same standard in this product over the years while their smaller competitors have been changing for the better!

Because "Kraft dinner" got a little pricey over the past few years, (around a dollar a box nowadays, depending on where you buy it), I finally relented and tried an "off brand". I picked up a few boxes of "Our Specialty" brand at the local Dollar General store (total size = 7.25 ounce box. serving size, 2.5 oz. "Prepared" stats: 400 calories, 150 calories from fat, RDA sodium = 30%; 1% cholesterol; 17% total carbs) -- it was 33 cents per box and it simply tastes MUCH better than Kraft Macaroni and Cheese Dinner. Also, the macaroni in the Our Specialty brand holds up better -- it's very tender but it doesn't go flat when you boil it like the Kraft does.

A good friend of mine recently re-confirmed my own findings when he said that he bought the brand which is sold at Meier's Stores (a big food chain) around Cincinnati, Ohio, and he experienced the very same results with their store brand.

So, maybe it's time that we took a look at more "off brands," clones, and generics. There are some really good smaller companies out there selling some very high-quality food products so don't be afraid to try them, especially when there is such a huge price difference!

I hope that you find this review/recommendation helpful.

4.0 out of 5 stars A classic and always in my pantry, August 10, 2011
My wife and I grew up completely differently, but we both insist on having this in the pantry for different reasons.

I was raised traveling all over with a military family. I think every U.S. commissary has these familiar blue boxes on their shelves. Since my parents were always busy, it frequently fell on me to make dinner for my siblings and me. 2 boxes of this, a can of green beans and 2 cans of tuna wasn't at all uncommon. It's the wonder meal base. You barely need to know how to turn on the stove to make at least an edible meal with this and if you don't have butter or milk, it works just fine with water.

My wife grew up with a mother who cooked dinner every single night. For her, the blue box was a forbidden treat. She would go to her best friend's house for Kraft Macaroni and Cheese and Dinty Moore Beef Stew. He would go to her house for her mother's home cooking.

So it's there, on our shelves. For me, it's a last resort meal for when neither of us feel like cooking. Still as easy, as convenient and as cheesy. For her, it's still a guilty treat. Something she wants to eat when nobody is looking. She will also use the noodles out of a box for another recipe and put the cheese packet up for use on popcorn. That's not something I ever tried before meeting her.

That's the best way to eat it. The noodles in a homemade chicken soup. They cook to al dente in about 7 minutes, so add them at the end. The cheese packet, sprinkled over popcorn that's shared with the person you love while watching action films.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comparing Kraft's 'Deluxe' mac & cheese dinners, May 22, 2007
This review is from: Kraft Macaroni & Cheese Deluxe Dinner, Four Cheese Sauce, 14-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 12) (Grocery)

The Sharp Cheddar flavor (Kraft Macaroni & Cheese Deluxe Dinner, Sharp Cheddar, 14-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 12)) is slightly tastier, and has a subtle smoky aftertaste.

The light meal (Kraft Deluxe Macaroni & Cheese Dinner - Light, 14 oz) is pretty good, ut when you try it side by side with the original flavor you can tell it's not as rich. Still, if you only buy this one you'll be happy. If you're counting calories go for it.

But it's this one, the Four Cheese meal, that's the best. With the most cheese flavor, it combines American, cheddar, colby and parmesan, and tastes similar to what you'd find at a decent restaurant. The parmesan flavor is especially noticeable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Stuff, November 7, 2010
Sometimes you just have to throw caution to the wind and enjoy life a bit. I don't think anyone in their right minds would recommend this product as the beginning and end of all meals that should be fed to children on a daily bases. (Unfortunately, I see this happening a lot). This certainly is NOT a health food.
But that being said, kids love this stuff and I do too...not that I can be called an "adult" in the normal sense. This is not the Mac and Cheese your old granny use to cook for you; no, it is a prepackaged quite meal or part of a meal. It can be classified as a comfort food by many, and that is indeed what it is.

It is quick to prepare, makes a great side dish, and the flavor is wonderful...although I will admit that like good Scotch, it is an acquired taste. It is cheap and makes a wonderful after school snack.

I note that one reviewer here has given this product on star. Let it be noted that this guy is shilling for his own dreadful little book and that the review he wrote is pretty bogus and should not be taken seriously.

I have sisters and bothers with children. I am the single sister...translate that to free baby sitter. My siblings are uptight health freaks and stuff their little ones with "health" food...translate that to boring, boring, boring. I am not saying this is bad...far from it, but these little guys and girls need a bit of a treat now and then. After I pick them up from school or keep them for the weekend (many, many weekends I tell you), I indulge them....and myself, I must admit. I do it with really unhealthy but tasty foods. When they leave and return to their mundane little diets, I return to mine, but when we are together...let the good times roll.

This is a good product. I keep it stashed all the time. I use it when ever I can. I, and the kids, enjoy every bite.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hands down best Mac EVER!!!, December 1, 2011
As it has already been stated, this has to be the best Kraft Mac in existence. Unfortunately, which you can gather from everyone else reviews, it is extremely hard to get a hold of. I hope that Amazon gets it back in stock soon, I need my cheese fix ASAP.

5.0 out of 5 stars Case of the Family Sized Kraft Macaroni and Cheese, February 1, 2009
She walked through my door dressed in blue jeans and a black Kerouac sweatshirt. "I'm Finance" she said, "It's been bad for me, really bad." "Sit down; I think I can help you." No doubt, she looked like she could use a good meal. "Look, I had a case just like this earlier this year, lasted a couple a months... and I got about 60 meals out of it - so I know what I'm talkin' about." "Tell me," she whimpered. I didn't hesitate. "Look kid, I'm gonna give you this advice for nothin' and it's 5 star as far as I'm concerned." I tore off a sheet from a pad of paper and wrote - go to Amazon.com, type in "Kraft Family Macaroni and Cheese" in the search box, press go, click on the Mac & Cheese icon that comes up, and do what it tells ya. She stood up, leaned over the desk and planted one on me. "Thank you," she said. "Go on get outta here; I'm busy." Then she was gone. I walked over and stared my shelf full of blue and gold cartons and knew I'd done the right thing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Delicious!, November 25, 2007
This product tastes better than the original (non-organic) variety. The macaroni is a little bit longer than the original which makes it slightly more difficult for my toddler to eat, and the cheese takes a little more stirring to "melt" and incorporate in. However the great taste more than makes up for these little inconveniences and knowing it's organic makes me happy!

5.0 out of 5 stars taste of america, April 29, 2013
I loaded up on these before moving overseas, to enjoy a little taste of home when I need it. Sometimes after a long week, and eating mostly lamb, rice, and goat cheese, I find that there is still some emptiness inside of me, and what better way to fill that void with some extra cheesy comfort food.

Sure, every culture has its traditional foods, the Nordic region has lutefisk, Australians have Vegemite, and South East Asians have fried insects. Well, America has Kraft Mac & Cheese, with its outlandish, almost fluorescent-orange hue, proudly known as "The Cheesiest" of all macaroni based food products. Outsiders may call these foods "disgusting," and "inedible," but to each respective nation, they taste like manna from heaven.

It is also important to note the differences in product versions. This product requires separate milk and butter/margarine ingredients, unlike "Easy Mac" where you just add hot water.

ARRAY(0xd9541024)