5.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't get any easier than this!
Published on January 4, 2009 by Mike

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I'd hoped for
Unlike perhaps some users I am coming from a reasonable woodworking background, having used other jointing meathods such as biscuits and rabbits. This is fast way of making joints, but there are some drawbacks.

Published on December 15, 2010 by Dirkdaddy

5.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't get any easier than this!, January 4, 2009
This review is from: Kreg Jig K4 Pocket Hole System (Tools & Home Improvement)
I was building a set of shelves that would be assembeled with picket screws when I decided I needed the K4 kit. I had a 20 year old aluminum pocket hole jig with a hardened insert that you just clamped to the work, but to get this lined up and clamped took a long time and I had about 90 holes to drill for this project. The Kreg K4 was so easy to set up and use and I was able to drill all the holes in just a fraction of the time. I like the K4 better than the K3 master because it's easy to clamp to the work bench with the clamp recess right in front. The old cumbersome jig I had before really kept me from using pocket screw assembly very much, but I can see this K4 getting much more use. It's a very good tool.

5.0 out of 5 stars This just works, February 6, 2010
Carlgo (Carmel Valley, CA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Kreg Jig K4 Pocket Hole System (Tools & Home Improvement)
I got the K4 system because it seemed like it would work and I already had a similar hold-down clamp. Saved $40 for what I needed. I ended up screwing the unit to a wooden work bench, rather than using the clamp anyway and that is a good way to do it, probably the best.

The dust collection was hooked up to my Fein vac that turns on when the drill is on. Not even a scrap of dust. Totally clean. See my Fein vac review.

Set-up is very easy per the nice simple little instruction pamphlet and the very professional DVD that is included.

You obviously have to use this tool correctly to get the great results. This means getting the right screws for the job. There are all sorts of different screw options from Kreg. I got the course ones for soft wood and suffered no splits or other problems. The screws seem to be of the highest quality, good for other projects as well.

I was kind of worried that I would have to come up with some kind of a jig to hold my wood at a right angle. I found this is not necessary. What you have to do is make sure the ends are exactly 90 degrees because that end will be drawn very tight to the other board. If it is off a degree, the screws will set it one degree off, if they are perfect, then it will be perfectly perpendicular. So, just take the time to make sure your crosscuts are perfectly accurate. This joinery system is very hard to fudge, it is very unforgiving of errors.

The bit has that hard feel to it, sharp and probably not meant to take much in the way of sharp impacts. I drilled down at a modest rate so as to not break anything and nothing did break. There is a collar that you adjust for the depth of wood. Unlike a set of collars I bought for general use, the Kreg one sets securely and doesn't slide on you. Again, I took care not to bear down on the drill too hard because if the collar slips, you would have problems.

You do have to hold down the two pieces of wood, right at the joint with a clamp. This always keeps the pieces flush with each other. Don't skip this step, even if you have to buy that long clamp, expensive but useful for a lot of projects. Push the pieces close together before you set the screws. The wood pulls tightly together, but don't get too lazy. It creates a little misalignment if you get too sloppy.

Frankly, the screws seem so tight that glue seems unnecessary. Doesn't hurt, but I wouldn't bother except perhaps on a table top.

The Kreg K4 is touted as the universal joining method and it can work that way. As somewhat of a traditionalist, I would still glue up a table top and I will still use mortise and tenons on many tables projects simply because that kind of work is expected. One of the recommend uses is to screw down a table top to its frame. I do not like that idea and recommend sliding blocks and such to let the top expand and contract independently from the frame.

Even so, there are still thousands of interesting projects that the Kreg system does just perfectly and you will be able to use it forever, really. I see nothing about this that might be obsoleted, but if I was using it commercially where time was money I would buy a spare bit just in case. Note that after hundreds of holes my bit seems perfect and the hard metal inserts in the jig are as good as new. If I was alternating drilling and screwing with one drill, I would get that quick-change bit system Kreg offers. In my case I practiced on one piece and was so secure with the process that I went into mass production mode and didn't switch back and forth.

I made some utility cabinet drawer frames that were essentially knock-downs. Just marked the parts, unscrewed things and was able to carry it all in my truck. Sometimes this is a very handy way to do things. You don't lose any strength, can carry the flat knocked-down sections up into building by yourself...all sorts of advantages.

Kreg doesn't give anything away! It is all quite Euro-spendy, but I cannot fault the design or materials at all. This is a tool system you will use for a very long time and it will save you a lot of time and provide superior results on many projects and repairs. A high quality product, well-designed and thought out. Happy to hand out five full stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I'd hoped for, December 15, 2010
Dirkdaddy "Dirkdaddy" (Pearland, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kreg Jig K4 Pocket Hole System (Tools & Home Improvement)

I have found that when making flat face frames the wood is drawn up at the angle of the screw, and its very difficult to end up with a flat joint. If you have one, you know what I'm talking about and they even say in the DVD you will have to likely do some "minor sanding". I did try various clamps along the joint with some improvement but no solution. Also, if you are using glue, it tends to act as a lube and lets the wood move more, but of course the joint will be stronger.

Unfortunately, on smaller jonits like face frames, you also get movement on the other axis, as the screw acts as a pivot. I had to reclamp and check to make sure my smaller face frame parts were still alighned and most of the time they were not and adjustments were needed.

On plywood the screw tends to take the easier way and if one layer is softer a it normally is, your screw and the joing will pull the wood out of alignment. On Kreg, there is nothing holding this alignment. To assist you really need to shell out the $30 for the right angle clamp, which I did, but even that is not perfect. The pad for the non-hole said hangs down below a typical 3/4" board and will hold it off the work surface. And you still can get movement, there's nothing stopping that and when you're looking for total alignment as you are in woodworking - its dissappointing.

You really have to also use biscuits and have a biscuit jointer to make acceptable panel joints in my opinion, and its even mentioned in the DVD. Biscuits will hold the panel in perfect alignment, then you screw it. This works well and makes clamping overnight a thing of the past.

You also don't get more than 10 screws of each type, good luck if you got as gift doing anything w/o a trip to the store. You would think for [...] bucks you'd get more than 10 screws of common sizes so you could actually open it and use it.

The base is 1" tall and you will need to make 1" spacers to hold panels at same height for better drilling accuracy, I had plenty of 3/4 but had to look for things to add to a true 1" the way wood is finished these days. How much would have 1" plastic add-on cost? Oh wait, this is Kreg, it would cost you $29.

The DVD shows white numbers on the jig but the one you buy will only have embossed measurements marked on it. Plan on spending time using paint to "finish" your expensive new jig, something they could do at the factory for the price they charge.

The case is a joke of sorts, only holds the jig and the other stuff flops around dulling the drill a bit of a mess inside.

The holes you make are huge and a far cry from professional looking biscuit or mortise and tenon, but of course that's the price of speed. You can get the fillers but be prepared to pay = again.

You pay again and again with Kreg, its a neat idea but they guy is making a fortune off everything.

It is well made and does work pretty good, with some alignment issues.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good - but spend more and buy the Master System for the face clamp and carrier for the drilling jig, December 9, 2010
This review is from: Kreg Jig K4 Pocket Hole System (Tools & Home Improvement)
I originally started off by purchasing the Kreg R3 Jr. Pocket Hole Jig - which is an outstanding product with an amazing case. It was so good I got this one in addition.

You can create pocket holes in wood much quicker with the K4 than the Jr. Jig. The clamp holds the wood up against the drilling jig and holds it very steady. If you attach a shop vac to the jig, as you drill most of the shavings go right into the vac. It also helps hold the wood against the jig.

This unit is designed with holes for screwing down to your workbench. I pull it out of its box and use it without holding it down with screws. It works very well without screwing down.

Because the jig guides the drill bit, I was even able to let my 7 year old drill the pocket holes. Once your holes are drilled, clamp the two pieces of wood together and drive with the nice long square drive bit included and it will actually pull the wood together. The joint is very strong and reliable.

I gave the Jr. Jig a perfect 5 - this one is not as perfect.

1) The case is just a plastic box. You can't leave the vacuum port attached while it is in the box. It seems more like a product they expect you to screw down to your bench not put away when not in use.
2) You can use the drilling guide with the supplied spacer to do 1/2 inch material outside of the clamping jig but it is not nearly as convenient.
3) Even though you don't need a clamp while drilling, you do need one while screwing it together and that clamp isn't included in this kit.

I recommend you step up to the Kreg K4MS Jig Master System. It costs more but it includes a carrier for the drilling jig so you can use stand alone it for more than just 1/2 inch material and an excellent face clamp. The added benefit of these two items is well worth the price difference.

The perfect setup in my opinion is the Kreg K4MS Jig Master System and the Kreg R3 Jr. Pocket Hole Jig. You can use the clamp from the Master System with the Jr. Jig. You also end up with an extra bit and drill as backup. Together they are amazing.

3.0 out of 5 stars The good and the bad, February 18, 2012
This review is from: Kreg Jig K4 Pocket Hole System (Tools & Home Improvement)
I bought my K4 at a local hardware store. I have been using it for a month now and have mixed feelings about it. I originally bought this tool to help build a face panel for a desk I was making.

I like my woodworking projects tight and accurate. I find this jig provides tight joints, but it is very difficult to hold board-to-board alignment. The problem arises from the basic premise of driving a screw into a board at an angle. If you do not tightly clamp the two boards before driving in the screw, one board will move leaving you off by up to 1/32" from where you started. I have seen worse in hardwood. I find that even with clamps on a hard flat table it is difficult to keep good alignment. I have tried various methods of putting in the screws with no clear answer. You might think a 1/32" isn't much. But the veneer on plywood is barely that thick. Good luck sanding that flush.

The holes the drill bit makes are not as pretty as the pictures show. The drill does not make clean cuts, especially in plywood. It leaves a fairly clean cut on the entry side of the cut but leaves splinters on the exiting side. It can destroy plywood. Even in grainy hardwood like oak it has the same splinter problem.

Another problem I have encountered is setting the depth collar on the drill bit. I would recommend setting it shallower than what they recommend. I have had several occasions where the screw puckered or broke out the edge of the wood or veneer because the hole was just a little too deep. This is especially true with plywood which is thinner than named and softer. Driving the screw in fast and hard will compress the wood under the head causing the screw to go in farther too.

I like the coarse screws. They are easy to use and I have found other uses for them besides pocket holes. The fine thread screws are so-so in hardwood lumber. You need an imense amount of clamping force to keep everything lined up. Ideally, there should be a pre-drilled pilot hole before you run the screw in. They need to make a pilot drill bit accessory for this system that locates inside the pocket.

The wood plugs are kind of worthless. They seem way to loose to me. The plastic caps are cheap looking unless you are using laminated particle board.

The jig itself is ok. You can only clamp a board just tight enough to hold it. Too much clamp force and the whole jig bends. The dust collection accessory works well with a shop vac.

5.0 out of 5 stars another very good Kreg tool..., January 31, 2009
This review is from: Kreg Jig K4 Pocket Hole System (Tools & Home Improvement)
I have several Kreg pocket hole tools and this is another good product. It works as intended and is a time saver compared to other joining methods. Should be used in conjunction with the Kreg srews...why?...because they are well made, and not very expensive if you buy larger boxes and search by price on "Froogle". You will not be disappointed. Now, almost everything I see needs a pocket hole screw!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Right Tool For The Job, December 15, 2008
Dr. Dave (Atascocita, TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kreg Jig K4 Pocket Hole System (Tools & Home Improvement)
Easy to set-up, easy to use. Easily worth a lot more than its price when building cabinets or anything else that you can assemble using pocket screws. BUY IT, YOU'LL BE GLAD YOU DID.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, June 13, 2009
Garage woodworker (Springfield, OR USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kreg Jig K4 Pocket Hole System (Tools & Home Improvement)
The Kreg jig is the only product I've ever purchased after watching an informerical and I am quite satisfied with it. After many years of trying to get solid/square joints with my limited home workshop tools, I was impressed with the results of the Kreg jig on a workbench I built for my son. The rail and leg joints were square, solid (no glue) and only took about an hour to drill and assemble. The instruction DVD included with the set was very helpful in explaining the basic set-up and uses of the jig. I think it will be one of the best tools in my workshop. My only concern was the necessity of buying the special Kreg screws. I found a local source for the Kreg screws however which means I don't have to order them online and the price is comparable to other wood fasteners.

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost got it right, February 16, 2010
This review is from: Kreg Jig K4 Pocket Hole System (Tools & Home Improvement)
Kreg almost got it right. This is an excellent tool for almost any kind of joinery. In my experience it is far superior to biscuits or dowels. It really is one of those tools that performs as advertised.

The problem comes in when you want customer support. In our area the dealers who are listed as carrying parts such a plugs for the pocket holes, drill bits, drivers, etc. Have little or nothing from Kreg, (i.e. Lowe's).

Kreg customer support is non-existent. When we called Kreg's order department they refused to help us. Instead they insisted we buy from a local supplier or buy on-line from Amazon; they insisted Amazon's prices were cheaper than buying direct from Kreg, and that Amazon gave free shipping.

Amazon's prices were almost twice what Kreg advertised, and the shipping was free only if you order in bulk. When we explained to customer service that Kreg's advertised process and shipping were less than Amazon's, Kreg continued to argue with us and insisted we buy from Amazon.

I have to wonder why Kreg even has a contact point to order from Kreg, when Kreg won't sell anything direct. I am absolutely mind-boggled that they refuse to do business with a customer who shows up, money in hand, who wants to do business with them. The only thing I can figure is that they have some sort of arrangement with Amazon and their dealers that they won't sell by mail to anyone who lives in the same area as a dealer, or anyplace where Amazon will ship to. This only works if the dealer actually stocks a good selection of Kreg products, or you have no problem paying the premium prices Amazon charges (almost twice what Kreg advertised)and don't mind the waiting time involved with the mail.

If you live close to a dealer with a good supply of Kreg parts and accessories, I cannot recommend this product too highly. It really does work.

If you do not have a good dealer close by, I recommend you order a good resupply of everything and accept the fact you will be paying a premium to use the tool, and that there may be times when you may not be able to use it while you wait for supplies to reach you via mail.

Fortunately the tool appears to be well made, because based on my experience with customer service, I have serious doubts about Kreg's willingness to honor their warranty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what ads claim, but there are some issues, January 21, 2011
Howard Ferstler (Tallahassee, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kreg Jig K4 Pocket Hole System (Tools & Home Improvement)
I had seen ads for this device on TV, but never got around to buying one. Then, my nieces gave me a Home Depot gift cirtificate and I discovered that the Kreg jig combo was for sale there and so now I have one.

The device functions as advertised, but I did do some modifications and additions to make it more workable for me. First, I purchased additional, screws, drill bits, and drivers (including a hand-type square drive tool to make sure that machine-driven screws were torqued adequately), and also purchased an additional stepped drill bit from Grizzly that has a 45 degree shoulder instead of the 90-degree version offered by Kreg. This allows me to use any of the multitude of standard flat-head wood screws I own for projects not requiring the more solid power of the flat-shoulder Kreg screws. Picture frames might be in this category. I also mounted the jig on a 2x6 wood block to make it more stable and built an outrigger block out of scrap lumber so that longer pieces of wood hanging off of the unit while I drilled the holes would not shift or sag. I purchased a Kreg bench clamp and two of the small aluminum plates that it can work with and countersunk them into my mobile work bench. (The clamp is well built and can do more than just stabilize Kreg projects.) Kreg also sells more conventional quick hand clamps, but I discovered versions for sale at Harbor Freight that look to work just as well for half the price.

I have used the device for several projects and I do have to admit that the process is superior (easier to do, quicker to set up) to biscuits, and is certainly stronger. More experienced woodworkers might still prefer dovetails, rabbets and the like, but there is no denying the speed advantage of the pocket-screw approach, especially if one does not care to fool with clamps while the glue dries. And of course many joints are strong enough without the use of glue.

There are two anomalies I noticed with the rig. First, on the TV commercials the small, engraved lettering on the machine is easy to read because the engraved figures are filled in with white paint. With the actual machine I purchased they are still engraved, but there was no white paint and so the lettering is rather hard to read. The ads mislead the potential consumer, since a few other customers have commented about this. Perhaps earlier versions had the white lettering and later on they had to pass on doing that to slim down production costs. No telling. One commentator here used a rather elaborate procedure to make the lettering on his unit white, but I did it the simple way and used a super-fine Sharpie pen to fill in the engravings in black. Not quite as visible as white, but still more visible than what we have with no fill at all.

Second, virtually every illustration I have seen of the basic K4 package shows the attachable dust-collecting accessory along with the other items that come in the package. However, my package had no such accessory (there was not even a spot for it within the container), and when one reads the list of components in the ads for the package the adaptor is not mentioned. The picture is therefore misleading, another misleading item from Kreg. Interestingly, I have not even seen an ad for the adaptor anywhere. It is for sale separately at all? Unless one is doing a lot of assembly line work it is probably not needed. Just take a deep breath and quickly blow out the holes after each drilling segment.

In any case, the Kreg jig is worth the price paid and I certainly recommend the thing. Just go purchase a Sharpie super-fine marker to fix those near-invisible scale markings on the unit and you are cleared to go.

Howard Ferstler