5.0 out of 5 stars The Fastest, Easiest Joinery Method
If you do any kind of woodworking joinery, the Kreg will make your life easier.

I have used this jig to build:

- a crosscut sled for my table saw (.75" birch ply)

- walnut cabinets for my master bath (.75" walnut, .75" birch ply)

- amp cabinet enclosure for a red-knob Fender twin (.75" birch ply)

- Speaker enclosure...
Published on December 28, 2010 by Jeremy

3.0 out of 5 stars What are you geting for the price???
I recently received my Kreg Master Jig system after procrastinating a long time about the purchase. While my use has been minimal I do have some preliminary impressions.

Published on February 9, 2012 by Cates

5.0 out of 5 stars The Fastest, Easiest Joinery Method, December 28, 2010
This review is from: Kreg K4MS Jig Master System (Tools & Home Improvement)
If you do any kind of woodworking joinery, the Kreg will make your life easier.

I have used this jig to build:

- a crosscut sled for my table saw (.75" birch ply)

- walnut cabinets for my master bath (.75" walnut, .75" birch ply)

- amp cabinet enclosure for a red-knob Fender twin (.75" birch ply)

- Speaker enclosure for another guitar amp (.75" birch ply)

- A bathtub surround for a whirlpool tub (1.5" 2x4's and 2x6's, some 22.5 degree angles)

- others

This is hands-down the easiest method to join pieces I have ever used.

Pros:

+ It will join pieces at a 0 degree angle and at a right angle.

+ it will join pieces at any other angle

+ works with material thicknesses up to 1.5" (2x4's etc)

+ it is SUPER EASY and intuitive to use

+ When joining the pieces, the screws pull the pieces together, so sometimes clamps and glue aren't necessary if face alignment isn't critical.

+ the screws are cheap and readily available (Amazon, HomeDepot, Lowes, Woodcraft, etc)

+ The joints are strong

Cons:

- While the face-clamp is crucial for alignment, it's not always enough... the screws pull and will often pull stronger than this clamp. Therefore, I use a bar or pipe clamp across the long dimension to hold things absolutely still when driving the screws

- It becomes cumbersome to move the jig several times on long pieces. (they do sell pocket hole machines for production, but $$$)

- I only use pocket joinery on joints that either will be invisible, or I don't care if the holes are visible. I haven't had good experience with the plugs.

- The stop ring has slipped on me a few times, causing me to drill a few holes in my jig, and through my workpiece. If you see blue plastic in the sawdust, you'll know.

To summarize: I CAN'T RECOMMEND THIS JIG ENOUGH! It is a huge time/headache-saver. I'd pay twice this much for it in a heartbeat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kreg K4 Jig: Pocket Holes are Fun, December 16, 2010
This review is from: Kreg K4MS Jig Master System (Tools & Home Improvement)
I will start by saying I am a complete beginner to woodworking. I only have a couple of power tools: Circular Saw, Jigsaw, Corded Drill. This Christmas (2010), I mentioned to my wife that I would like to do some woodworking, and she jumped at the chance for "cheaper" gifts. Now, I have a good long list of tasks to complete. I was worried about how I would learn joints fast enough to be able to build anything at a mediocre standard much less presentable for gifts. In comes the Kreg Jig. I saw it on a YouTube video and immediately bought one.

First night out was slightly slow due to not knowing all the parts, and the included instructions aren't very good. It's the DVD that really helps you. After the first 30 minutes of becoming accustomed to the jig, I was quickly building the bench from the Kreg website. The pocket holes were perfect and easy. It took me longer to finish the cut list then it did to assemble! I am happy I picked up this wonderful tool at the beginning of my woodworking adventure. It has saved time and got me started.

That being said, I will still learn other joints (rite of passage?), but Kreg has made it a real possibility that my Christmas gifts will turn out well.

Kudos Kreg!

3.0 out of 5 stars What are you geting for the price???, February 9, 2012
This review is from: Kreg K4MS Jig Master System (Tools & Home Improvement)

1) The Jig itself is very study and works quite will. The plastic was of a much higher grade material than expected and a little bit of assembly was required. Learning how to operate the tool couldn't be easier.

2) The case is ridiculously bad. We all know there are two type of handymen in this world the kind that care for their tools keeping them neat and organized and then there are the handymen who just toss their tools in a junk pile after some abuse. This case basically amounts to a junk pile. The only thing you can do is toss it all in the box and shut the cheap plastic lid. I doubt this would last very long in contractors pickup truck.

3) The extra components included in the master system are nice but the only essential part is really the clamp. However the clamp doesn't fit in the case, so I guess you can carry that around some other way.

Over all the this is a good "Tool" and is already beginning to add value in my workshop. However, I would be so much happier with a case the let you organize your parts. The tool itself is 5 stars but I took off star one given my perceived price / value ratio and I removed another star as a result of the case. At the end of the day buy the tool but think about getting a small tool box from the big box store so you can keep all your parts, clamps, and screws in one place.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Purchase and Addition to the Workshop in a Long Time, January 30, 2011
This review is from: Kreg K4MS Jig Master System (Tools & Home Improvement)
I've been woodworking as a hobby for over 30 years - a screw and glue kind of guy.

I saw the late night commercials for quite a while before I decided to try this out. It's AWESOME how solid the joint is when done. I found that there's still a need for the traditional joinery I prefer doing but there is definitely a new mix to the method I'm using to put 2 pieces of wood together.

Out of the box some of the pieces appear confusing. I should have reviewed the printed material and the DVD intro but I'm a MAN. HA HA HA. Once you get the sense of how everything works it's easy to get better at it each time you use this jig. And even though it identifies the jig settings for your wood thicknesses, it is also customizable to your preferred taste, and it is still successful.

I would also suggest buying the screw assortment that comes in its own case. You'll want to put something together and you won't have enough screws with what's provided with the jig.

Clamps are also mandatory. If you don't already have what Kreg offers you might as well get it now. The wood pieces can take on their own life if they are not held tightly together while being joined.

My first project was the new workbench that was put together mostly with pocket holes. I'm now on to a shadow box coffee table. I'm having so much fun that the weekends just fly by!

5.0 out of 5 stars Kreg K4MS Jig Master System perfect for me!, October 6, 2013
This review is from: Kreg K4MS Jig Master System (Tools & Home Improvement)
I am an average DIYer. I am pretty good at reading (or watching) and following instructions, but because I'm not a pro, I am short on hands-on experience.

It seems like there is not a weekend that goes by that doesn't involve making or fixing something that requires joining two pieces of wood together. There are many ways of doing this, but few are as elegant or effective as pocket holes.

What's a pocket hole? Well, if you look at the hidden side of most manufactured furniture or cabinetry (take a flashlight), you will probably see oval or elliptical holes. If you look down inside the hole (at an angle to the surface of the wood), you will see two things: one, the hole is actually a circle; and, two, at the end of the hole is the head of a screw. That's a pocket hole.

Pocket holes and screws (or dowels, i.e. wood pegs) and glue are a really good, strong way to join wood together. When used with glue, the screws act like little clamps, pulling the surfaces of the wood together.

What can you join? Well, pretty much any two pieces of wood, at any angle. I have used mine for face framing (that's joining two pieces of flat wood together along their thin edges, like when making a picture frame), and for joining the walls and floors of your basic wooden box. (About boxes: just about every useful wood project involves building a basic box. A drawer is just a box on sliders. A cabinet is just a box with doors and shelves. A bookshelf is a box.)

Pocket holes aren't new. Apparently, the ancient Egyptians used them. But for most DIYers, they have been out of reach because they USED TO require expensive, or hard-to-find, equipment to make.

So, some DIYers like me would try to fudge pocket holes freehand. This is darn near impossible, because it requires at least three things: first, you need to find a way to drill into wood at a shallow angle (NOT easy); second, you need to pick a constant angle so that the tip of the screw ends up in the strongest part of the piece of wood to be joined; and third, you need to have a consistent depth of your hole, so that you have just enough screw pulling the two pieces of wood together.

As you can imagine, freehand pocket holes are pretty much impossible. So, you need what's called a "jig". A jig is a woodworker term for anything that helps hold a project, or part of a project, in a constant, stable position while you apply some kind of tool to it. Good, patient, experienced woodworkers can whip together a jig (usually from scrap pieces of wood and a few bits of hardware) in a few minutes, and most woodworkers' workshops are filled with jigs. You can also buy them. There are dowelling jigs, sawing jigs, framing jigs, etc.

The Kreg pocket hole jig is not the only game in town. Many other manufacturers make pocket hole jigs. But Kreg jigs are reasonably well-made, reasonably priced, and readily available (here at Amazon, or at most big hardware and home improvement stores). Best of all, you can get replacement parts, like drill bits, easily.

The Kreg jig is mostly made of some kind of reinforced plastic. Metal (looks like aluminum) is used for the wear-prone areas.

The Kreg K4MS Jig Master System has most of what you need to make pocket holes for almost all projects. The most important part of the package is the DVD disc that has really good, easy to understand instructional videos (wich you can also find on their site). You will also need: 1) a drill with a 3/8 or 1/2 inch chuck; 2) the pocket hole screws themselves; 3) safety equipment; 4) measuring and marking tools; and, 5) the pocket hole screws themselves. Most projects are also helped by having a stable surface to work on.

To use the jig, you should start by having a good idea of which two pieces of wood you want to join and how. You need to know the real thickness of both pieces (not the "nominal" thickness: for example a nominal "2 x 4" is not 2 inches by 4 inches, it is closer to 1 and 1/2 inches by 3 and 1/2 inches). It helps to know if your wood is softwood (most less-expensive wood is softwood, like pine, fir), or hardwood (oak, maple, poplar). And, it helps to be strategic about how you place the holes: don't plan your project so that your pocket holes result in the tip of the screw ending up in the end of the grain of the wood. (Wood grain is the direction the wood fibers run, end grain is usually the smallest face of the wood, like the 1 and 1/2 by 3 and 1/2 inch surface at the end of an 8 foot 2x4. Screws placed in end grain have little grip strength, kind of like trying to grab a serving of dry spaghetti by sticking your finger in the end of the box, rather than from the middle.) When faced with a choice, you should drill the hole in the piece of the wood that will have its end grain touching the side grain of the second piece of wood you are joining.

You should follow the instructions that come with the jig for specifics, but briefly here's what you need to do:

1) Adjust the depth of the special drill bit according to the wood thickness, according to a scale on the jig. This involves loosening a screw on the collar of the drill bit, moving the collar, and tightening the screw.

2) Adjust the depth of the jig according to wood thickness, using the scale on the jig.

3) Clamp the jig base to the work surface. Kreg includes a clamp, good for many projects, and sells other clamps for specific needs.

4) Clamp the wood to be drilled into the jig. (You can also clamp the jig directly to your project. This is more advanced.)

5) Drill the pocket hole or holes (more than one is better).

6) Glue and screw the two pieces of wood together.

5.0 out of 5 stars Creative Construction Tool kit all in one Box, December 7, 2010
This review is from: Kreg K4MS Jig Master System (Tools & Home Improvement)
The Kreg K4MS is the latest and most comprehensive set, yet. It really has everthing you need to start your projects, easily and rampidly with exception, you have your own power drill, some type of level, clean surface in which to work. To develop further , I am looking foward to getting some of Kreg's varied other clamps,..........and if, your intention is to build QUALITY projects Kreg screws are worth picking up in droves. The DVD is great at showing u what u need to know and pointing you out to some inovative ideas you did'nt know yet.
The construction of the components in this INovative tool kit are well made,if used and cared for properly like most other tools.
All you need is nice surfaced wood and well laid plans and you can run ramp"D with creations. Amazon makes it easy because they have just about all the other Kreg tools you'll want to expand on build larger expansive projects or skills,....without busting the bank @ blockbuster prices, sweet.I have some past experience as a very skilled cabinet maker and I am impressed with how simple this tool system is and how much you can grow and integrate your own direction and aprroach with other wood working tools to building projects of your own, quickly, too!

1.0 out of 5 stars Astonishingly Cheap, December 1, 2012
This review is from: Kreg K4MS Jig Master System (Tools & Home Improvement)
I'm a licensed contractor and professional woodworker.
I've owned the tiny little Kreg jig for years and used it every once in awhile in a pinch, having not done much pocket hole work.
I worked with a guy over the summer who has what I now believe to be the older "Master Jig" system and was inspired to buy myself one.

Well, I read all the reviews complaining about the case, and didn't think it was a big deal because this guy had a Kreg case with molded areas for both bits, a molded area for the clamp, and a molded space for the jig. And I thought, "heck, it's not THAT bad."

When I took my K4MS out of the box, it was instant disappointment. A bunch of pieces thrown in there, and I even had to assemble the jig! Not only are there no molded areas for anything, there is no room in the case for the clamp, and unless you make yourself something, nothing to keep the bits from bouncing around in there and getting damaged. Even the actual jig doesn't seem quite the same and quite as nice as this guy's older one.
Aside from the jig and the clamp, everything else that comes with this set is more or less useless, in my opinion. A few pieces of plastic, a small handful of screws, and a micro jig.

We all know the great things that pocket hole joinery can accomplish, and this jig isn't an exception. However, it's as if the guys at Kreg all sat down and said "OK, how can we make this thing worse?" And Kreg isn't the only company making these jigs. For close to $150 this tool is overpriced.

I bought this locally and have already used it. Otherwise I would return it in a second and get the Sommerfeld all aluminum jig for almost half the cost! I wish I had known about it earlier.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kreg K4MS, April 23, 2011
This review is from: Kreg K4MS Jig Master System (Tools & Home Improvement)
I Borrowed a friend's K2000 system to see if I would be happy with it before I bought my own. I was sold after building the first section of face frame for the cabinets in my shop. I ordered my own K4MS system from Amazon, and used it for the first time today. The jig system itself is awesome! The only real disappointment is with the K4MS storage case. The case for the old K2000 model was much larger, is double walled, and has snap-in compartments for all components. The case with the K4 is single walled, much flimsier, and is too small. It has just one compartment for all components, so everything just gets piled inside. It is so small that it doesn't have room for the clamp that is included. The little flipper stop/rest is a bit cheesy too. I would have given it 5 stars if they hadn't wimped out on the case.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wood working MUST HAVE, December 7, 2010
This review is from: Kreg K4MS Jig Master System (Tools & Home Improvement)
Kreg Jig systems are one of the best inventions. Its is a well made product and is simple to use. This is a must have for anyone who does a lot of building with wood. I already have two sets and they are worth every penny.

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes joints quickly, December 15, 2011
This review is from: Kreg K4MS Jig Master System (Tools & Home Improvement)
This Kreg-brand pocket hole jig is an easy way to put two pieces of wood together. I am a homeowner who wanted an easy way to make furniture projects for myself and my friends.

Out of the box, I had two problems: 1) the clamp that supports the wood I wanted to cut was stuck and I had to loosen it with a pair of pliers, and 2) the bit got stuck in just one of the the three drill big guide holes and I had to apply some oil to it before the drill bit would go through properly.

I bought the Master System, but I think I would have been just as happy with the Kreg Jig K4 Pocket Hole System that is $30 cheaper. The DVD was helpful, but it seemed like there was just a ten minute video on there. The video is available on YouTube and Kreg's website. Also, the clamp that comes with the Master system is nice, but a c-clamp would be just as easy to use.

While putting 90-degree angles together is extremely easy with the Kreg jig, it is much harder to do bevels because I don't know which depth setting to use. The DVD says that connecting beveled edges is easy, but it doesn't explain how.

I like to make basic furniture with cheap wood that I can get at the hardware store. The Kreg jig makes joining the pieces of wood extremely easy. So far, I have made three bookshelves, including one with a very nice 1x1 frame that I connected with the Kreg jig. The lumber for each bookshelf cost about $15. I also made a great workbench/artist table using 2x4s and 2x10s. I spent about $30 on the workbench (although I need to add some plexiglass or something on the top if I want to draw on it).

The joints are all really solid. The pocket holes that the Kreg jig makes are very easy to do as long as you make sure the drill bit and the pocket hole guide are at the correct settings. As long as the settings are correct, it's hard to mess up.

A homeowner like myself who wants to make (and repair) some furniture will get good use out of this product. It's fun, easy, and makes a solid joint.

Kreg K4MS Jig Master System