5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Router Table for the money!
Published on January 1, 2008 by D. Vo

3.0 out of 5 stars Fragile parts
The 3 star rating is not meant to reflect the usefulness of the product or the accuracy of the work one can perform with it. It is a reflection of the robustness of some key components.

Published on October 18, 2009 by VanMan

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Router Table for the money!, January 1, 2008
This review is from: Kreg PRS1040 Precision Router Table System (Tools & Home Improvement)
If you are a serious woodworker, this is by far THE best router table to buy. I bought the complete table, fence, stand, casters & micro-adjuster. Every little piece of hardware was accounted for and very neatly packaged. The reliability and accuracy of the fence make it very easy to use. And if you don't want to drill the insert yourself, for 3o bucks, Kreg will drill it for you, shipping included.

The assembly instructions were written in simple, easy-to-understand English and not like the 'Chinglish' from other manufacturers who outsourced their products. This router table examplifies American ingenuity & workmanship. It's definitely a 5-star rating.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fragile parts, October 18, 2009
VanMan (Vancouver, BC CANADA) - See all my reviews

The stand is very sturdy as is the laminate coated table top and the actual aluminium fence. There are some weak areas. The phenolic insert accepts either of 2 reducing rings. These rings are held in place by screws which are threaded into very small, very fragile threaded holes in the phenolic insert. It is extremely easy to strip the threads in the phenolic insert by over-tightening. There is no positive "stop" when the screws are in far enough. Exercise extreme care when installing the reducing rings.

More disappointingly, the aluminium assembly which attaches the fence to the levered glide (and the glide itself) which attaches to the guide on the side of the table are extremely fragile. The assembly is held to the levered glide by 4 machine screws with brass washers. I stripped the threads in the aluminium parts tightening one of those screws, using a hand screwdriver gripped by my fingers only (i.e. I did not grab the screwdriver with a "fist grip"). I'm a lawyer and I am not noted for my death grip. There are 2 nylon screws which take the slop out of the levered glide. When I assembled my table one went in perfectly while the other cross-threaded as it entered the second piece of metal.

This is not the first tool I have had to assemble from a myriad of parts. It is, however, one of the most fragile.

The fence is billed as being similar to a table saw fence. In my view, that is a bit of marketing hyperbole. The fence does have a locking lever at one end like a table saw fence. Engaging the lever does not, however, lock the fence perpendicular to the side of the table. There is a tall twist knob at the opposite end of the fence that you tighten after aligning the fence properly. It certainly isn't a bad system, just not as effective as a table saw fence.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kreg Router table, January 12, 2008
Sweet table! I'm not a master woodworker or great furniture maker, but this table is one of the greatest additions I've made to my shop in quite awhile. Smooth operation, easy to use and accurate. You won't be disappointed. The only item I'll add is a router lift.

4.0 out of 5 stars Five stars for the product, Zero for Amazon, April 21, 2008
Let me get the zero stars for Amazon out of the way first. To be fair, I have bought a bunch of stuff from Amazon - my first stop for shopping. I've only had to return one other item, and that return was handled perfectly, since I just dealt with their computer system. But this time, I had to deal with their customer service people.

I ordered this item, using the Amazon Prime free shipping program. It arrived right on time. There were three boxes in the shipment, one for the stand, one for the table top, and one for the fence. All three had obviously been dropped, presumably by UPS, on a corner. During assembly, it came to light that the table top was smashed on the corner where it was dropped. I contacted Amazon to return it, and the past 2-1/2 weeks has been a nightmare of really bad customer service. First of all, they sent me a UPS paid return label. For one box, not three. I sent an email and asked for them to fix that. They sent me another one, same deal. I then called customer service. Fast forwarding to today, of the five times i have spoken to the Amazon customer service, on only two of those times have I been able to understand the person on the other end of the phone. The rest of the time, it has been someone with a very heavy accent who mumbled.

On the first call, they told me to put the whole thing into one box and send it in a single shipment. I reminded them that it was unlikely that UPS would pick up a box that weighed in excess of 200 pounds. So they said that they would have UPS pick it up at my office. Except that they didn't tell UPS to do so. Call #3 got them to actually tell UPS to pick it up. At the wrong address, and only one box. Call #4 got cut off after waiting for 15 minutes to get transferred to a supervisor. Finally, on call #5, I talked to a very delightful lady who seemed to understand what needed to be done. We'll see -- they are supposed to pick it up tomorrow.

When the return process first began, they entered a new order for a replacement. It was scheduled to be shipped in June. I can't wait that long, so I told them to give me a refund. Sure hope I get it. In the meantime, I bought this router table at the local Woodcraft store. Paid more, but I have the table in my shop now.

Now about the Five stars rating for the product itself. This is a really great router table. I gave this review four stars, because Kreg was partly at fault for the damage mine received. If they had designed their packaging better, the damage probably wouldn't have happened. The padding in the box was a piece of styrofoam 1/4" thick and some corrugated cardboard. MDF is not that sturdy. It needs at least 2" of foam padding.

But the table itself is wonderful. The stand is built like an Abrams tank, and the table is a nice size. The fence works exactly like they say it does. Square and easy to use. So the product gets five starts, Kreg gets four stars, and Amazon gets zero stars for bad customer service.

Update 5/7/08: I've used the router table quite a bit now. It is still as great as I noted above. I've started to build cabinets and drawers in the stand below the table top, but find there's not a lot of room for that. The sawdust collection is pretty good above the table, but the floor quickly gets several inches deep in the stuff that falls through the opening in the top. Part of my cabinet plans below the table include a fix for that.

It is now about two weeks after I wrote the above review. Five additional contacts with Amazon just resulted in UPS going to the wrong address again to pick it up. But a conversation with the UPS guy at my office may have broken the stalemate. He said he'd be back this afternoon to pick it up. Grand total contacts with Amazon customer service are now in excess of ten, and the latest advice of the pickup says I may be charged for the return shipping costs. For a damaged item.

Update on 6/25/10: Now that I've used this router table for a couple years, I still love it. But, I managed to misplace the two plastic rods that are used to move the left side of the router fence out for special work. I contacted Kreg to buy some new ones. Maybe I am cynical, but I was surprised to have them tell me that they would be happy to send me a new set at no charge. We talked for a few additional minutes and I got some tips on using my router table. Friends, if you don't have a jointer but find you need one, this table's for you! Use those plastic rods to move the left fence forward, put in a long straight-cutting bit, align the left fence with the bit, and you've got a jointer. Works great. I jointed about 150 linear feet of 8/4 oak and edge-glued it with perfect results. I may still buy a jointer, but that purchase has gone down in priority. Thank you, Kreg, for wonderful customer service and product support.

And let me add one more item: Woodpeckers ([..], many items sold on Amazon) sells an aluminum plate to install a Porter Cable 121 portable oscillating spindle sander into a router table. I bought one of the plates and the sander. I now have a table-mounted oscillating spindle sander that is the rival of anything Delta or others sell, without taking up nearly as much of my shop space. Fantastic setup.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for the money!, May 6, 2009
I didn't buy this table from Amazon (due to the reviews above) but the product itself is so outstanding that I want to review it anyway, just to help others who are looking for a good product. I looked for a router table for quite a while, but made my decision right away when I saw this unit in a store. For starters, the frame, table and fence are very substantial, and this table would probably be right at home in any professional woodworking shop. I was a bit worried about the rigidity of the fence while assembling all the sub-components, but ended up with a sturdy and perfectly aligned assembly that works almost flawlessly. The micro adjuster is not really necessary, but for a measly $14 it's a very nice option as it eliminates the tedious "tap and check" routine. I also bought a Triton router to go with it, which eliminated the need for an expensive lift. I lucked out, and got the casters included for the same price as Woodcraft happened to have a special on them, and also added a paddle switch to go on the front. I have about $750 in the whole setup now, and it's worth every penny.

So what's not to like? Not much at all, but there are a few things that could have been done better for little or no money. One annoying thing is that the set screw for the ruler in the fence assembly sticks up a hair above the surface of the table, so the work piece rides on this until it clears the screw. It's easy enough to fix by shortening the screw though. Another thing that the nitpickers may not like is that the lock screw on the left side of the fence slides in a slot routed straight into the table. Some kind of rail or grommet would have made the screw slide much more smoothly, but I simply used some candle wax. I'm still not sure about how the phenolic router insert will hold up to the weight of the somewhat heavy 3 1/4 hp router, but an aluminum insert would have been nice, at least as an option. The Kreg guys may also consider offering table extensions (an outfeed extension would be especially nice), but they are easy enough to build yourself.

You can't build a table like this for the same money, and that was the deciding factor in my case. And if you have already decided to buy a complete table, you won't find anything better at this price. Add the Triton router, and you'll be ready to go!

5.0 out of 5 stars At Last ! A precision table !, July 21, 2010
I have been woodworking for 30 years, and have struggled at times with "cheap" tools to get precision work done. You can do it, it just takes time. The older I get , the more impatient I get, and want to get stuff done, right, the first pass. For 15 years I have owned and struggled with a Sears " deluxe" router table. It has always been a pain to set up and adjust, it chatters, it burns the wood, no dust collection, weak floor stand: I always try to figure out a way to AVOID using it.

A NEW DAY DAWNS
I ponied up for the the full monty Kreg Router Table system, including their router lift, and a new porter Cable 7518 router, Wheels, switch, etc... ( all from Amazon, 2nd day, on time, circa $1200) As previously noted, it takes about 3 hours to assemble the stand, lift, and fence. The instructions are perfect; not the usual chinese/english translations so common these days. They even include the allen wrenches needed. Parts fit was good. No missing parts.

The Stand: Solid, simple bolt together, heavy duty. Nothing special, but MUCH better than the Sears. Its chief virtue is that it matches perfectly to...

The Table Top: Very flat, strong and smooth. Plastic over MDF I think. Nice Miter slot. (aluminum insert)

The Router: Porter Cables 7518. 3 1/4 hp of smoothness and power. An industry standard.Porter-Cable 7518 Speedmatic 15 Amp 3-1/4 HP Fixed Base 5-Speed Router Get the 1/4 inch collet. It does NOT come with!Porter-Cable 42999 1/4-Inch Self Releasing Collet

The Router Lift: OMG ! It doesn't get any easier to change bits or adjust. Rock solid, Easy install. You need the right "pads" for your router, but that's a one time thing. Just order the right one up front. ( I understand this is a Woodpeckers unit with "Kreg" stamped on it.) Price was the same so, who cares. Kreg PRS3000 Precision Router Table Lift

The Fence: Took the longest to assemble; about one hour. Seems sturdy enough, but don't rough house while adjusting. Rock solid in use.Kreg PRS1010 36-inch Precision Router Table Fence

The Whole Shebang : Dial it in once, cut all you want, it stays perfect. 3 inch raised panel cutters in Curly Maple? No binding, chattering, burning, I'm in love. It has a connection for my Shop Vac ( with adapter), so reduced mess. In short, for the home woodworker, no downside.

ps. I don't work for KREG

4.0 out of 5 stars Good table, February 2, 2011
I have not experienced the trouble others have reported with the table. The instructions were to me clear. Took about 45 minutes to assemble including casters, micro-adjuster and 7518 router. I also purchased the Kreg lift, and was glad I did. Micro- adjuster for the money was a handy item. After the initial set up, i have used the table probably 50 times and found the fence to be "dead on". And i mean that. I do and will continue to check it every time though, just a habit. The key to using this fence and getting this type of result is simple. Only use one hand near the rear of the table at the locking/micro end to make adjustments. If you try to used both hands like on most table fences it will be out of square every time. A little practice, and adjustments are quick. Do yourself a favor and get the casters. I hooked up my dust collector and found that it picks up about 80% of the shavings. Good product so far, and yes i would recommend to a friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kudos to Kreg!!, February 5, 2010
Carl Childers (Fair Oaks, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I recently ordered this router table and was pleased to find it's quite heavy duty. The steel in the base is a lot thicker than I was expecting. Unfortunately the top arrived damaged. There was a large split down the miter slot and through the router insert hole. I saw no obvious damage to the box.

Instead of contacting Amazon, I immediately called Kreg and the gentlemen told me to keep or dispose of the top and they would send out a new one. A week later, I received an undamaged replacement top. Great customer service from Kreg.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent table that needs one improvement, March 23, 2010
Oyvind Kleven (Jackson, MS USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this router table a couple of years ago. I feel it is very well built, with the exception of one thing. The insert plate offers a bit of flex, and is not that accurate. I stepped up and purchased a Woodpecker aluminum plate for it which made it a much nicer setup. The Woodpecker plate was a drop-in fit. It also has nice insert rings that twist into place. Other than that I really like the base, top and fence. I think the fence lock down could be a bit better, and seem fragile, but I have not broken anything. I have built rails and stiles for 30+ kitchen cabinet doors on it with no issues, plus a lot of other projects. If it came with an aluminum plate, I would have given it 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Pleased, December 8, 2011
Ethyl Plant (Southeast Texas) - See all my reviews
I was looking for a high quality, well built router table. I searched for quite a while, comparing the various brands, and types. I finally settled on the Kreg Router Table mainly because of the fence system, and the fact that I already own several Kreg tools. This table did not disappoint me at all.
Assembly was straightforward, with easy to understand instructions. All of the holes were lined up perfectly, and all of the fasteners were there (and then some - they included some extras just in case).
When my table arrived in 3 boxes, the boxes were slightly scuffed up, but everything was in great shape. I was, however, missing the phenolic table insert. All of the fasteners, and adjusters were in the package, but the insert was missing. I had to go through Kreg to get a replacement insert sent to me, and it took about 8 days to get it. They were very good about it, and I am pleased with their response.
When assembling the table system, take great care to prevent stripping out the screw holes in the MDF table. Two rules to remember, and the assembly should go without a hitch. Rule #1 - do not use a power tool to tighten down the screws. Use a hand held screwdriver, and get each screw just snug (SNUG means the screw head has made contact with the surface, and you use your thumb and index finger to tighten as much as you can. Do NOT try to tighten these screws too tight - they WILL strip if you do). Once snug, turn the screw 1/4 turn more, and you're done. Rule #2 - this table assembly is heavy once it has been partially assembled. Have a second person to help you lift, and move the table around as you assemble it. Lay the table upside down when attaching the top, and bracing to the stand. This will give you a much better view, and better control. And again - Have someone help you move it around as you assemble it. This thing gets heavy quick!
Once assembled, I did some modifications to mine to better suit my needs, and provide for better storage. I, in essence, created a cabinet with mine (see photos). This helps with the dust collection, and helps keep everything close at hand, while keeping the dust off of everything better.
I have a Delta Dust Collection System, and use it for the dust collection. I have found that most shop vacs will be hard pressed to offer very good dust collection on a router. They may work well for the fence port in some instances, but they do not work at all for the main body collection (all of the saw dust and debris that falls UNDER the router when using a table). This part takes some volume, and suction power to work well.
This fence system has a hollow cavity, and the dust port is offset from the center of the fence. This takes some pretty strong suction to remove sawdust and debris from the fence area. Most fence systems have a hole that goes straight to the router bit area, and provides very little area to remove dust from. Shop vacs work well for those systems. Not so much on this one.

Kreg PRS1040 Precision Router Table System