4.0 out of 5 stars Surprising Vocals
Published on February 12, 2010 by Steven Haarala

3.0 out of 5 stars Cool Style
Kris Allen delivers a melodic raw experience. Live like We're Dying is the catchiest track. Red Guitar, originally written for his wife, Katy is special because it is so personal. This album reminds me of an album you would put on when you just want to crash and get lost in your thoughts. Music playing in the background and catching lyrics and phrases here and there to...
Published on December 20, 2009 by Sparrow

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprising Vocals, February 12, 2010
Steven Haarala (Mandeville, LA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kris Allen (Audio CD)
Assessing the talent of Idol contestants can be a tricky thing. Some of them sound really good on the show, singing standards and proven hits, but they don't come across so well in the recording studio. Others are so-so on the show, but their albums turn out to be good. To me, Kris Allen is one of the latter. During the competition, I saw him as a smiling audience-pleaser. But his CD reveals more talent and appeal than I gave him credit for. On the show, I didn't regard Kris as being "serious" enough. But on this album, he sings about serious subject matter, mostly relationship problems, and his voice reveals both intimacy and strength that I didn't notice on Idol. The lyrics are very clearly sung, and despite the production, his vocals, when they are not multi-tracked, almost seem "live". You can hear Kris begging for understanding of his human flaws, and expressing other basic feelings - confusion, need, determination, the joy of youth. Some of the music is slightly country-tinged, but mostly it sounds like mainstream pop-rock. Although many tracks are formulaic, this is to be expected on the first album from an Idol contestant. It's up to the artist to breathe life into them, and Kris does this. The material is mostly sincere, not much attitude or irony (although he does strike a hard-rock pose in "Can't Stay Away"); but then, he's a sincere guy. My favorite tracks are "Written All Over My Face", with its demanding "talky" vocal and some glam-rock guitar; "Is It Over", which has a "bluesy" feel, both vocally and instrumentally; "Alright With Me", a happy, carefree acoustic number; "I Need To Know", a slow, quiet piano ballad with touching lyrics and heartfelt delivery; and "Heartless", another demanding vocal beautifully executed. Kris has certainly captured my attention with this CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Infectious Tunes + Heartfelt Delivery, November 17, 2009
This review is from: Kris Allen (Audio CD)
I've listened to this album a few times since I downloaded it, and I'm happy to say, it keeps sounding better and better. The music is very pop, with good hooks and infectious tunes, and the lyrics are engaging and involving. I find Allen's performance the best part of the album, since he seems to be able to inject emotion and honesty into every song. It seems as if this album and these songs mean a lot to him, and as a consequence, they play well to my ear, as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still Waters Run Deep, December 3, 2009
This review is from: Kris Allen (Audio CD)
I'm one of those who liked Kris on AI and like this album a great deal. It's the only AI album I've ever purchased. I do find the songs admittedly mainstream but very catchy. There is a sadness to many of the songs; most of which are about breaking up. I don't understand those critics who say that Kris lacks emotion or feeling in his music. I think its there in every song, sometimes painfully so.

I'm surprised that few reviewers mention the spiritual side of Kris and his music. There is a definite spritual, although not overtly Christian, tone to many of these songs, esecially "I Need To Know", which I hear as a very moving and mournful prayer. This is one thing that attracts me to Kris and his style of music. I'm not a Christian. I know Kris is; I think in the very best sense of the word. He lets his sprituality into his music without hitting you over the head with it. He's a serious young man who I think knows his limitations and strengths. He may never have the mass audience of Michael Jackson or Carrie Underwood and I doubt you'll ever see simulated oral sex in one of his shows. But he is a talented young man, with a pleasing voice and great songwriting and interpretive skills who many people can identify with. He'll have a successful and long, perhaps relatively modest, career and this album is a great start to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it!, December 3, 2009
This review is from: Kris Allen (Audio CD)
This debut album is very listenable. It is great to workout with...clean house to...drive with...and correct papers by! My fourth graders love to do their art while listening to it. The more I listen to it, the more I like it! I thought there would be a klunker or 2...BUT I was wrong. The whole thing is amazing. He has such talent. I will be the first to buy his second cd!

5.0 out of 5 stars I Have to Admit it!, January 13, 2010
This review is from: Kris Allen (Audio CD)
I have to admit that I was an Adam Lambert fanatic ever since Idol began and his cd is simply awesome. I have now listened to Kris Allen's cd a few times, and I have to admit that his first cd release is simply amazing. I love his easy-going, smooth, and emotional qualities that he evokes so easily on each track. He reminds me of a younger Gavin DeGraw which is remarkable. There isn't one song that I don't like on this album, and I have to give major Kudos to Kris for making such an enjoyable and infectious cd that not even one of the biggest Adam fan's like myself can ignore. Great job Kris...you deserved the title!! Now, more music please...thank you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad Mr Allen....Not Bad.., December 11, 2009
This review is from: Kris Allen (Audio CD)
If I am not mistaken, this is Kris Allen's first album...so why do I get the impression everyone expects him to be perfect? Okay, I will admit, this album almost seems routine when it comes to this style of rock, but at the same time, he is just learning to experiment and to perform on his own at the level he is at. I also think that it is a sign of relief when an artist doesn't sound like the pop acts that are out there today (so many just sound the same). Yes he sounds like Daughtry a bit (sorry if the spelling is off), but how many artists sound the same in general? He can't be the ONLY one to sound similar to another artist (No offense to boy bands, but they ALL sound the same).

From what I have read, he did write many of his songs and really is proud of his work, and I think it shows. This is the kind of music he wanted to produce and I do hope he stays proud of it. He may not get the media attention that others will get with their debut album, but I have a sneaky feeling he isn't one to want that kind of attention. If you are looking for some good music to play around the family (young ones as well) and just listen to some great guitar / alternative rock tones, go ahead and give Kris a shot. I hope that he keeps growing from here and always is proud of what he creates.

Go...Go listen...and then when you have extra money on that gift card from the holidays....go buy it :)

Happy Holidays!

5.0 out of 5 stars STELLAR DEBUT FROM IDOL CHAMP, August 11, 2010
RALPH PETERS (CLOVIS, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kris Allen (Audio CD)
I admit it. I liked Kris on IDOL but thought Adam outperformed him. A year later, I'm glad I was wrong, as this album is (for me), miles above Lambert's. The songs (especially the ones written or co- by Allen), are mostly excellent and survive multiple (in my case hundreds) of listenings. Sometimes the production is a bit much; when you have a voice as good as Kris Allen's, you don't need every instrument on every track. It was said by movie critic Pauline Kael that voices like Bessie Smith and Aretha Franklin had a healing quality that other (albeit excellent) singers like Billie Holiday didn't have. I feel that way about Kris Allen. His singing has a heartfelt, soothing quality that conveys compassion and an understanding far beyond his 25 years. Some might call that an old soul, but that's become so trite now. I'll just say that this CD has for me the same quality and value that Joni Mitchell's best work (like BLUE and COURT & SPARK) have: they heal. They elevate. They inspire. I'm disappointed that this album hasn't had the smashing success of some other IDOL debuts only in the sense that it says something sad about current tastes. Let's hope it's inspired enough people so that Mr. Allen can entertain and touch us for many years and we can grow along with him. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad Mr Allen....Not Bad.., December 11, 2009
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Kris Allen (MP3 Music)
After listening to Kris Allen perform on So You Think You Can Dance this past week, I decided to give this album a go and purchase it. Although he is not as original as Adam Lambert, I find Kris Allen to be soothing and something that my whole family is willing to listen to. I am proud that he isn't drowning in the awful media attention so many people have been getting these days and I hope he stays true to who he wants to be, which I believe this album is. Sometimes artists need to stay "safe" because that is truly who they are and where they want to go with their music. I hope, as Kris puts out other albums, that he plays around with different types of music and tempos and instruments to grow as an artist and produce something unique. I believe he is capable of it and think that this album definitely is a great cd to have on while just relaxing around my house or when I am with my young nieces. Would I recommend it to everyone, probably not. But if you like that guitar sound that pop acts are lacking, give him a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars great album!, November 18, 2009
Coco (California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kris Allen (Audio CD)
I am not an Idol fan, but I heard "Live Like We're Dying" on the radio and thought it was a cool song. Subsequently, I checked out Kris Allen's album and was pleasantly surprised. I can't stop playing this CD and I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Confession: I voted for Adam Lambert., January 25, 2011
This review is from: Kris Allen (Audio CD)
And it's not like I regret voting for Adam. Adam is fantastic and I love his album like crazy. But for all the fervent Adam fans out there, don't let your disappointment in the Idol finale keep you away from a really great album by Kris Allen.

This is an excellent CD which fully delivers on the promise Kris showed on American Idol. The lyrics are heartfelt and the backing ranges from the simplest of guitar or piano to the richness of a full string section on a couple of tracks. Favorite songs include Alright With Me (ADDICTIVE), Before We Come Undone (still think this should have been a single), Can't Stay Away (if the first 30 seconds don't grab you, I don't know what to say), and I Need to Know (raw and emotional and gorgeous).

I'm ridiculously late with this review, so who knows if it will even be read. But I'm getting impatient for a second major release from Kris (btw, his youthful first effort, Brand New Shoes, is TOTALLY worth hunting down) and I figured better late than never to make a plug.

Kris Allen
Kris Allen by Kris Allen (Audio CD - 2009)
Rate and Discover Movies