Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Kristin Lavransdatter: (Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-5 of 5 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on January 21, 2014
I've read Kristin Lavransdatter before and was looking forward to a second reading, so my one-star rating of it pertains to the Kindle version of the Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition only, and not to Undset's novel(s) per se. Unfortunately, the formatting for this Penguin edition leaves blank lines--obvious white spaces--above and below every single paragraph. The effect, for me, is to make each paragraph read as though it were disconnected in time and in context from whatever precedes or follows it--in other words, my brain perceives this entire novel, formatted this way, as a series of short vignettes. Of course, at the same time, I'm aware that I'm misreading it, but that only serves to yank me out of the narrative every few moments. I was hoping that I'd become used to all the breaks and could ignore them if I only read a little bit further, but I guess my poor brain is too old now to learn such new tricks. So I'm sorry to say that I cannot find the rhythm or the flow here and I'm throwing in the towel less than halfway through. Curse you, whomever is to blame for such sloppy, lazy formatting! I for one wish I had my money back!

Update, March 2015: Turns out the spaces do not pose much of a problem on a new Kindle, such as a Paperwhite. I'll leave this review here, since those with older Kindles might find it useful. Sigrid will forgive me.
on April 24, 2013
The latest and finest translation of the Kristin Lavransdatter trilogy is by Tiina Nunnally. While the description on Amazon's web page indicates that she is the translator of the Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition, this information appears to be incorrect. Looking inside the digital sample of the book at the copyright page, it appears to be the earlier - and in my opinion inferior - Archer translation. Amazon should be sure to give the buyer accurate information.
66 comments|10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 8, 2010
I have been reading for 45 years in 7 Languages and absolutely love good Literature. I adored War & Peace,everything written by Marquez (my favorite)I like Proust and Joyce but I have arrived at page 450 of this novel and I hate it.
It seems written by a religiously obsessed woman. The whole novel is a constant whining,tears and sorrow. I certainly can understand the time-period given that I am an Archeologist and European. From the first 50 pages I already knew that I was not going to like this but I keep on dragging myself from page to page hoping that it will take a different turn. I must be the only person on the planet thinks this way. I usually don't write reviews but I just had to get this of my heart.
88 comments|31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 8, 2011
Reading is one of my favorite things to do - I read at every spare minute - even walking & on commercials. That said, I love to find a lo-o-o-ong novel that immerses me in the characters & story, that I can't put down but dread finishing because it will be over. Kristin Lavransdatter was NOT one of those books. I rarely put a book down without finishing it, no matter how much I hate it because I have to find out how it ends. I struggled & plodded through this book. It wasn't boring, & the writing wasn't bad. It was just far too long for no reason. Kristin was naive & silly, even into old age it seemed. Erlund was selfish & stupid & frustrating - it was difficult to feel any real concern or interest in their story. If the book had been cut in half & told from the viewpoint of Simon Darre, I would have enjoyed it more.
on March 16, 2013
book was not as described - only one story, not three, and written in a foreign language, not English, which was not specified in the original description. Returned the book and have yet to receive a refund.