Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: KRUPS F203 Electric Spice and Coffee Grinder with Stainless Steel Blades, 3-Ounce, Black
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on January 9, 2005
I have had my grinder for 12 years now. It works the same today as it did new, and I use it about 10 times a week. For the money, it can't be beat. That said, this grinder is not for everybody.

This grinder is perfect for anybody with a coffee maker that uses #4 paper CONE filters (or slightly bigger or smaller). I emphasize PAPER because a permanent filter is not good for this grinder. Like any blade grinder, it will produce some dust. That creeps through the permafilter and into your pot is makes sludge. It sloppies up your coffee. Nothing gets through paper filters though.

It also grinds coffee fine. You really don't have a choice. It is ok for espresso as well if you are not a connoisseur. If you try a coarse grind with this unit, you will be out of luck. If you don't grind long enough, you will leave a few beans whole or in large pieces.

If you need anything other than a fine grind and don't mind using paper filters (I prefer them), then look no further.

I deducted a star because it has limitations, but the truth is, for probably 80% of the coffee drinkers out there, this grinder is all you need.
6464 comments| 2,091 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 28, 2000
This is an excellent grinder for home use and the one that I use on a daily basis. It is relatively quiet (so I can grind my beans in the morning without waking the kids) and large enough to process 8 or so cups (a full pot) of coffee. The only downside is that you have to practice the knack of when to stop grinding due to the lack of coarse control, but it makes up for it with ease of use. In my mind the quietness, ease of use and ease of cleaning (the black model is easier to clean than white) make this a must-have for coffee lovers.
44 comments| 577 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 22, 2001
There are two things I take very seriously in this life: one is books, the other is coffee (not surprisingly, the often go together). While the bulk of my reviews are children's books, I felt it necessary to go against type and review this coffee grinder. Most coffee experts as well as everyday, casual drinkers agree that the best tasting coffee is brewed with freshly ground beans. Once beans are ground, they begin to oxidize, much like an opened bottle of wine. Old preground coffee has a tendency to taste bitter, and with the proliferation of inexpensive grinders, more and more people are buying whole bean coffee to grind right before they brew. Of course, finding the RIGHT grinder for the price is the tough part. Grinders exist in every form and size and expense bracket. Quite a lot of round, domed grinders I've used have unsharpened blades on a mount that is too high to really grind beans fine enough for specialty coffee like espresso or Turkish. The Krups has a few advantages over other grinders, namely these: ** The blades are sharp and mounted low in the housing. Maybe other manufactures are saving a few pennies by putting flat tongues of metal in their grinders, but they don't have the edge to pulverize beans like the Krups can. ** The machine has a higher RPM than other machines. This makes it easier to reduce grind times and with additional speed, can reduce whole beans to powder in less than a minute (I've had a Black n' Decker that couldn't grind beans for Turkish coffee if you held the button for half an hour). ** the housing is oval and the lid is flat. I'm not an engineer or physicist, but I think the flat lid and oval shape allow the beans to fall back towards the blades for further grinding (again, my Black n' Decker allowed the beans to spin around the lid in a whirlpool pattern that was pretty to look at, but pointless for actually reducing the grounds to the small particles I wanted). ** it has a large capacity. Do you like strong coffee?? Use more grounds, then!! The box says that you can grind up to 20 cups of java at a time. I don't know about the sorts of demitasses they must be using to gauge the volume of a "cup", but I do know that this machine can grind up enough beans for a number of very stiff MUGS of coffee. In the disadvantages column, the only one I could site is that the housing cup is slanted down, I'm assuming for decorative purposes. Hence, I'm forever spilling beans out of the lower side. My new secret is to measure the beans out in the LID, first, then turn the whole thing upside down and put the housing into the lid. Since I only use it to grind coffee (and while I drink my fair share, I don't have the thing running nonstop day and night), I can't speak with any aplomb about how sturdy a machine is or how long it lasts. I once dropped one after a year and broke it, but it seemed nowhere near quitting, so I can't vouch for how long it would work under normal, non-butterfingered conditions. My assumption is that anything with such a high RPM rate isn't intended to be kept running for long periods of time-- creates too much heat and friction-- so if you plan to grind coffee night and day, it's probably best that you spend the money on a professional model intended for cafes. All in all, a fine piece of workmanship and definitely worth the extra few dollars over many of the other, cheaper, more poorly-designed grinders on the market today.
2727 comments| 1,230 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 6, 2002
I (OK, we -- my wife loves coffee even more than I) have been using this grinder for more than 7 years now. At least a pot a day, year in and year out. No problems with blowing up, or any of the other problems mentioned. If you're unfortunate enough to get one that doesn't do what the vast majority of reviewers have said it will - grind beans for years and years - I hope you'll assume you got a (rare, it seems) bad copy, and try another one before giving up.
As for the coffee, this little [U.S. currency with Andrew Jackson's portrait] gadget grinds from coarse to espresso, and all you have to do is a "one-mississippi, two-mississippi" until you get it down which mississippi gives you the coffee you want. Yes, blades will heat up the beans, but keeping the beans in the freezer mitigates that, and that's where you really oughta keep 'em anyway, for freshness' sake. As for coffee dust on the sides, I only get that anymore when I come home with a brand new can of Sumatra Lintong from Trader Joe's, and just won't wait for the beans to cool down! Otherwise, cold beans = no caked-on dust. As for getting grounds all over the counter, here's a little trick: when you're done grinding, turn it over (lid still on, please!) and give the whole thing a tap or two on the countertop. Bingo - lid now full of grounds, ready to carry to your coffee maker. (Speaking of... based in no small part on reviews here, we're getting a Braun KF187, and I can't wait to see if it really makes coffee as well as everyone raves. But I digress...)
We also bought a second one of these for spices, and recently even used it to bail us out of a no-confectioner's-sugar bind. Threw in some raw turbinado sugar, crossed fingers, gave it a whirl, and pressed on, MacGyver style...
To sum up, it's been a great little tool that has cost us less than a penny a day if you amortize the cost over 7+ years. I'll take it, and if it "blows up" tomorrow, I'll go buy another one in a heartbeat.
99 comments| 427 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 12, 2015
I am incredibly disappointed in this product and in Amazon for having the wrong reviews showing for this product. I bought this grinder to replace our cheap hand grinder as a more convenient option. We usually do a medium grind for drip but wanted the capability of a fine grind for espresso. This grinder advertises that it can do everything from coarse to fine grind, but it seems that whatever setting is used produces an inconsistent grind consisting of some powdery grounds and the rest super coarse...so coarse that we aren't getting proper extraction and have watery tasting coffee. Even in the finest setting, the average grounds coming out are super coarse.

As for the reviews on Amazon, it seemed to have great reviews, but on further inspection, I realized that all the reviews are actually for completely different grinder. I just noticed that every review has a small note that it is for "style name: blades", which seems to mean that they are all for a blade grinder that is nothing like the GX5000 that I was shopping for. Not sure why this is, but it is very confusing and should be remedied.
Either way, if you are looking for a grinder where you have control over the grind being produced, I highly recommend that you look elsewhere. I will be trying to return this even though it has been used. If I cannot return it, it will turn out to be a total loss because it is unusable.
55 comments| 85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon September 6, 2012
this being my first coffee grinder I've ever bought I'm impressed with the way it grinds coffee beans it does it very well. if you grind the beans very fine some of the coffee will stick to the sides but no big deal to me, wished it would have came with a scrapper or brush to clean the sides but again no big deal. I'm happy with the way it works, looking forward to see how it works grinding up spices. I think it was worth the money and I would buy this grinder again.
review image review image
22 comments| 87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 14, 2015
I have used this this little coffee bean grinder every day (sometimes twice...sometimes 3 times *ahem*) since I got it. That makes a little over a year's daily use, about 13 months actually.

It is awesome.

It does exactly what I want, grind my coffee beans so I can have delicious fresh brewed coffee when ever I want.

I detect no wear on the unit, seems as good as the day I started using it although deliciously scented with Dark French roast coffee of course.
I only use my grinder for coffee beans so I can't speak as to how well it would do for anything else but I assume from the way it demolishes those beans into a super fine coffee grind it would work great.
I am paranoid about cross contamination of flavours so use other kitchen gadgets for spices etc. This is just for coffeeeeeee :)

After using it a few times you get used to how long to hold the button down to get the grind you prefer.
I like a pretty fine but not too fine grind for making iced coffee so I pulse it a few times. You get used to how it sounds as well, the rattling of the beans diminishing as they break up into powder.

It can be a little messy to pop the top off, turn the unit upside so the coffee grounds stay in the little cup, but even being as careful as I can be I always end up with a bit of coffee grounds on the counter. No biggy.
Or for the rare occasion when I undergrind the beans and they're too coarse and need to put the base back on the lid that can be a bit tricky if any coffee grinds get around the edge but no too bad.

I bought this particular grinder because of all the great reviews and great price and feel confident now in adding my thumbs up as well.

Now, now I need to go make some coffee cause it seems wrong to write about how great this grinder is and not go make a fabulous iced coffee with fresh ground beans...that's just how it goes. :P
review image review image review image
on June 28, 2015
I didn't know what to expect from this little grinder, because I've never used a grinder before--not for coffee or anything else. But I found myself in need of a grinder for flax seed, so I decided to give this a try.

The tray is smaller than I anticipated, so it's not possible to grind a lot of things at the same time, but that's not a huge deal. When it's powdered it takes up a lot more space. I tried it on flax seeds, which was my primary purpose for purchasing this unit. Just a few pulses and a few seconds of continuous grind resulted in perfectly-ground flax meal exactly the consistency I was looking for to use in baking.

More than a few seconds of continuous grinding caused this grinder to produce a lot of heat, so I wouldn't recommend any amount of holding down the grind button for an extended time--more than 10-15 seconds, and it could probably use some cooldown time between each use. I ground about a cup of flax seed 1/3 cup at a time into about 2 cups of flax meal, and it took just a couple of minutes total.

For me (admittedly not knowing much about grinders) cleaning this spice and coffee grinder lost it a star. The lid is removable and can be washed or even put in a washer, however the blade and pan are not user-serviceable. You're supposed to wipe them down with a damp cloth, or use a brush to get debris out from the crevices under the blade mechanism. I have good-sized hands and found it difficult to believe that I was able to thoroughly cleanse the device after using it. It looks clean and I'm not seeing any more bits of flax seed anywhere after thoroughly wiping it down and brushing around the blade mechanism, but I'd feel more comfortable if I could remove the blade and pan for a thorough cleaning. Because this doesn't look like a possibility, I'd definitely not recommend grinding anything mild-tasting after grinding something with a strong taste. There could be some cross-contamination. If I were going to grind coffee, I'd probably purchase a separate unit could have one for spices and another for coffee.
review image
on December 13, 2014
I purchased this machine not for coffee but for chocolate. The chocolate I buy comes in round hard patties that are very hard to break. I always chip the chocolate into small pieces and put it into my coffee. I wish they would make it in powder form so I could add it to my coffee with a spoon. Enter the Krups F203 Electric Spice and Coffee Grinder. It turns the hard chocolate in a powder, just like I've always wanted it. It works like a charm. I like the fact that it has an oval shape so there is minimal spillage when emptying the ground up product into what ever container you choose. I've included pictures to show the process I use. Clean up is not that difficult. I recommend this item.
review image review image review image
on December 4, 2001
...this guy is. It grinds coffee. What more is there to possibly say about it? It does what it's supposed to do, uniformly, and well. The end result is consistent, providing I count off a consistent time (the same could not be said for the previous beast that dwelled in my kitchen). It's a good grinder---I use it fairly heavily: grinding about a half-pound every six or eight days (what can I say? I'm a student. Caffeine is my lifeblood.). I have had my unit for over a year, and it has neither developed irritating quirks nor broken and needed replacing: the blades have also remained sharp.
The single word of advice that I would attach to this would be that you might wish a good, fairly long-handled and firm-bristled brush to clean it with: the shape of the lid and of the unit's base is such that grounds seem to adhere to the crevices. This is nothing that a washing of the lid can't address, but dunking the base in the sink has always seemed, well...inadvisable? It's a dependable machine: worth the money.
11 comment| 232 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse