Published on March 20, 2004 by Groch

2.0 out of 5 stars Well, it made a great cup of coffee for the first couple of weeks...
We were initially very pleased with this item. Its pressure steam system made an aromatic, rich cup of coffee--for the first couple of weeks until a crack developed in the plastic base, allowing the steam to escape. Then it made a real bitter cup of joe. We had to return the base to the authorized Krups repair shop several weeks ago and are still waiting for a...
Published on September 23, 2005 by Beldini

5.0 out of 5 stars The best "Americano" coffee maker Yet! (June '07 - are these REALLY available again?), March 20, 2004
Groch "Gadgethound" (Broomfield, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Krups 468-42 Moka Brew 8-Cup Coffeemaker (Kitchen)
I had to think a bit before spending $100 for an 8 cup coffeemaker with no fancy digital timer, thermal caraffe, or built in grinder. I ordered one, convinced by the reviews of numerous satisfied owners who really seemed to know about coffee. I am so glad I did. I have tried the top rated drip brewers, vaccuum brewers, and press pots, but the Krups Moka Brew beats them all.

The low pressure brewing system seems to extract the maximum possible rich and complex coffee flavor, with an absolute minumum of bitterness. When you first get it home, experiment with the grind, and amount of coffee. I find that a grind half-way between drip and espresso is perfect. I use only half the amount of coffee per cup I would with drip, and get a richer cup. The Moka brew is not cheap, but cause I use less coffee it will pay for itself the first year.

As noted in other reviews you cannot get filters except by phone through Krups. However, I have found that using 2 standard 3.5" disk filters (cheap at any major supermarket) and offsetting them slightly so they cover the 3.75" in basket, that I get perfect coffee with no grinds slipping into the brew. I tamp the coffee down a bit too which once again, makes the coffee taste a bit darker and richer. No one has yet mentioned how much fun the machine is to watch. The coffee sprays down creating a deep tan crema during the first half of the brew.

One more hint, when you are in a hurry, just fill the brew chamber with hot tap water instead of cold. I can taste no difference in the final result, and it brews in half the time. Five stars!!!

UPDATE: Krups had not imported these to the U.S. for a couple of years. I bought an extra when they were going away and they have become prized commodities on eBay because there is nothing else like it. If they are really available in 2007 jump on it before they disappear again!

4.0 out of 5 stars Best-tasting coffee, January 28, 2004
This review is from: Krups 468-42 Moka Brew 8-Cup Coffeemaker (Kitchen)
The Moka Brew does make outstanding coffee. The brews are strong but not bitter. Everyone agrees that it is far superior to the automatic drip machines. Also it takes less actual coffee to produce a strong cup.
I do have some reservations. The machine takes a non-standard disk style filter that I have yet to find in any store (even Williams-Sonoma.)You can't use basket style filters as the steam goes under them and not through the grounds making horribly watery coffee. I even tried regular percolator filters, without luck. This forces you to by the filters directly from Krups.
The machine is also harder to clean than my old automatic drip. Since the filter is under the coffee there is no easy way to get it (and the grounds) out. I end up putting more grounds down the disposal.
If Krups supplied a reusable filter basket that would eliminate all of my reservations.

UPDATE:You can use basket style filters if you cut them to fit. We use the filters for the mini 4-cup style drip machines. We tried to order some of the disk style filters from Krups...but the cost was $15.00 for 200 filters and they were on back order. If I were rating Krups'customer service instead of the machine itself, it would get 0 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic coffee, March 12, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Krups 468-42 Moka Brew 8-Cup Coffeemaker (Kitchen)
I am a coffee nut, plain and simple. I have literally over 10 ways here at home to make coffee, and I roast coffee, oh 3-4 different ways. Let's see, oven, stove, whirly pop, and small 2 oz roaster.
When this Krups came around, I was skeptical probably b/c I didn't understand it at first. The key to thinking about this, is espresso richness in large volumes without bitterness. It just extracts full flavor very quickly, like an espresso shot, but in a 8 cup quantity.
And it works. To me, this is the single best way to make coffee out there. It probably ranks alongside French Press, but this method produces coffee that is a bit thinner and doesn't leave appreciable amounts of grounds and/or dust in your cup.
The main thing to adhere to, however, is that you must use espresso ground all the time. And you must have a good grinder to achieve a consistent grind. Other than that, this baby rocks. Plain and simple.

5.0 out of 5 stars Coffee Plus Pressure Equals GREAT, May 6, 2005
This review is from: Krups 468-42 Moka Brew 8-Cup Coffeemaker (Kitchen)
My wife and I are not big coffee drinkers. We have a cup each with our breakfast, using fresh ground and a Bodum french press. I usually make the coffee and am fastidious about making sure the water gets past 200 degrees and that the grounds are not soaked for over 7 minutes. YUM.

We were not looking for a coffee maker, we had a Krups Aroma Plus maker that we used during parties (the coffee was not as great, but passable). Until I saw a Capresso MT500, loved its design, and did some research. This led me to coffeegeek.com which gave the Capresso a great review but gave the Moka Brew a glowing review.

The reviews are RIGHT ON. This machine makes an outstanding cup of coffee.

The secret and the difference is pressure, no drip type coffee maker can do this. Pressure, which you can control by adjusting how fine you grind your coffee and how much you tamp it. Essentially, the finer the ground and the harder you pack it in, the more the machine will have to force the steam through the grind -- the higher the pressure.

I'm not about to tell anyone what makes your coffee taste good. For me, it changes slightly with every batch we buy and try. Generally a medium grind well packed works, at least the guests think so. We brew a pot and transfer it to a nice matching carafe to serve.

So if you just drink whatever is served, then the process may be too much for you. But if you want control over how your coffee is made then buy a burr grinder and BUY THIS NOW. You'll love it, I guarantee.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Coffee!!, December 7, 2004
This review is from: Krups 468-42 Moka Brew 8-Cup Coffeemaker (Kitchen)
The best coffee I have tasted from a "consumer" level machine at anywhere near the price. Takes a little longer to brew and it is just a little trickier to fill the shallow brew basket, but coffee will be ready in the time it takes to take a shower in the AM. It is not the same system as all those cookie cutter "drip" machines, but there is a good reason why so many high end (and usually much more expensive) commercial machines use this system. And, unlike the new Senseo type "coffee pod" steam brewers, you can use any coffee you want & brew up to eight cups instead of just one or two.

Considering the fact that all the reviews here are written online, I am surprised and amused by those that complain that the filters are expensive and hard to find. A quick search on Google netted a number of suppliers whose price is far below Krups web site price. Available at $5.00 per hundred, they are comparable to Melitta #4s. That works out to a whopping $1.50 a month.(The only time you need to use an extra filter is when you are just brewing a few cups.) And you get 100 filters when you buy the machine, so you have plenty of time to restock.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nearly a Dream Machine, November 28, 2005
This review is from: Krups 468-42 Moka Brew 8-Cup Coffeemaker (Kitchen)
The Krups Moka Brew makes a superb cup of coffee that's much stronger, richer and more complex than regular drip brew. Grind your beans fine but not quite at an espresso grind. Filters are easy to cut by using any #4 cone filter (you get two KMB filters from each cone filter) and making a template. Krups filters are expensive and hard to find. The KMB takes a few minutes longer to brew than regular drip and it requires a bit more time to grind, tamp and clean the grinds, but it's well worth it. Try 1 gram of ground coffee for each ounce of water (1/3 cup of whole beans for 24 oz. of water) and you should get a great brew.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't go back to drip machines now..I LOVE this machine!!!, January 14, 2004
This review is from: Krups 468-42 Moka Brew 8-Cup Coffeemaker (Kitchen)
Drinking coffee outside of a coffee shop never really excited me UNTIL I got this machine...Wow! What a difference compared to our now "shoved in the back of the cabinet" 5 year old drip machine! The flavor I got out of the exact same grinds I've always used before(a good quality fresh roast) was so much more intense and rich - I was so glad that I did a little research and decided to try one of the recommended coffee machines that brewed at the "optimal water-temperature range" for extracting the best taste out of fresh ground coffee.
...
Having no timer is not an issue since I get fresh HOT coffee in about 5 minutes (that's for half a pot, a full pot takes a few more minutes) and it's so easy to use and easier to clean than my old machine. I even use it to make a quick pot of plain-'ol steamin' hot water when I need (I don't like waiting forever for the kettle and I don't like burning my hands on an overheated mug handle placed in the microwave.)
...I thought that perhaps the process of brewing coffee in this pot would be a little complicated, but it's anything BUT that. ... I bought it then and there and vowed that if it didn't make a considerably superior cup of coffee that it would go back.
Well, I still have it and it's started a love-affair with good tasting coffee for me. One word of caution: when I first unpacked it (after reading the instructions), the carafe was a little difficult to remove since during the shipping process the top rubber grommet was slightly dislodged and this put more pressure against the carafe lid than there normally should have been with the lever in the release position. I gently pulled using a slight side-to-side motion until the pot came out, removed and then replaced the rubber grommet correctly and have had NO problems since.
My next coffee venture will be a good burr grinder - something I would have never bought before, but a good companion for the excellent brew this machine is capable of making.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Coffee, May 25, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Krups 468-42 Moka Brew 8-Cup Coffeemaker (Kitchen)
I love this little machine. great coffee. SMOOTH, STRONG, but not bitter. It takes a little practice to get your coffee the way you like it, but I have yet to make a bad pot of coffee from this machine...

AS FOR FILTERS:

I find 3.5 inch disc filters in both a store brand and by melita as low as 99 cents a package at my local supermarket (and on-line)

4.0 out of 5 stars It's okay but I would not buy again., December 26, 2003
G. L. Munn (Chesapeake, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Krups 468-42 Moka Brew 8-Cup Coffeemaker (Kitchen)
It's surprising that a coffee machine like this one has not been released any sooner, so give the Krups folks a lot of credit for developing a fine product. Just as the listing says, the Moka Brew prepares up to eight "American" cups of espresso-style coffee, or twelve demi-tasse-sized cups. Seeing the foam form on the top of the brew just like fine espresso tells me that every bit of flavor is being extracted from the coffee beans. The machine is well-designed and easy to operate. The parts have a sturdy, quality "feel" to them. The only short-coming is the absence of a clock/timer which would permit you to set it up the night before and find the coffee prepared for you when you get up in the morning!
UPDATE
I fell out of love with this device after a couple of weeks. I would now give it two and a half stars. It is a bit of a hassle to operate, having to lock the carafe into place before brewing the coffee. I worried that if not locked in place just right, the whole thing would explode. The Moka Brew is also unable to keep the coffee hot after it is brewed, so drink it fast or pour it into an insulated carafe.

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally, Home Brewed Coffee Without the Rolaids, October 6, 2005
This review is from: Krups 468-42 Moka Brew 8-Cup Coffeemaker (Kitchen)
After a brief flirtation with the Bodum electric Santos, which is a badly constructed contraption at any price, I kept searching for a machine that would give me a very good, rich, nonacidic cup of coffee without the circus act. I think I've found it in the Krups Moka Brew. The coffee is truly rich, flavorful and hot. The machine is well-made, with an 8-cup glass carafe. The housing is a durable plastic with metal lid and hotplate. Even using ordinary beans that have been sitting around for months, I get a great cup of coffee. In fact, this machine has inspired me to buy a burr grinder and some high society beans. Yes, you have to search for filters online or by phone, but that's easy. The manual suggests grinding the beans somewhere between espresso and drip for best results. You may have to try a few cups before you get the grind/amount to your liking. It might be inconvenient if you entertain a lot, as the capacity is 8 cups at a time, but I plan to buy a vacuum carafe for that. You can't program this machine, but it only takes minutes to set up and get a cup of great coffee. So far, I am really happy with this coffeemaker. This is the best home brewed coffee I've tasted.

UPDATE: I've been using the machine for several weeks. Still love it, but a few addenda. I bought a thermos to transfer coffee after brewing if I am not going to drink it right away: the water heating element beneath the warming plate is not sufficient to keep the coffee hot once it is brewed. The filter basket could be larger. As others have noted, you need to tamper the grinds for large pots of coffee so they don't spill over the filter basket. If you're brewing less than 3 cups of coffee, you have to guess the amount of water needed as there are no marks for 1 and 2 cups. Pouring the water into the reservoir is slightly awkward. All this being said, I consider these minor inconveniences. I still get a piping hot, smooth cup of coffee with this Krups, and I recommend it to anyone appreciates the difference a good brewing process makes.

Rate and Discover Movies