Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Kryptonite Kryptolok Series 2 LS Bicycle U-Lock (4-Inch x 11.5-Inch)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

on December 21, 2009
I needed a lock that was a) long enough to easily lock both wheel and frame (for my hybrid bike which sports a longer-than-average front wheel to frame distance) and b) light, but still strong. This was the only lock I could find that fit this bill, and overall it has been good-but-not-great.

* Comparison to Kryptonite's other locks: Kryptonite's next tier up, the "Evolution," is quite a bit heavier. According to my bikesmith, the only difference they noticed when they've had to cut through these locks with an angle grinder is that the Evolution takes slightly longer to get through. The "New York" lock weighs more than my bike, and the "Keeper" is not appropriate for a mid-high cost bike. That made the Kryptolok series an easy call. (BTW, after I bought the lock, I started noticing locks on my campus -- Kryptolok is easily the most common brand.)

* Locking mechanism: The other reviews nailed it -- the key sucks. It sticks a lot, especially in the cold. But it won't likely break off (like some users reported) unless you are twisting it like a maniac. Hopefully Kryptonite will make an improvement here. Not sure where else to turn, though.

* Warranty: This is garbage. You have to pay to activate, and the theif has to leave a piece of the broken lock for you to claim. Useless.

* Dimensions. Length is right, but the width is still a little thin for my hybrid tires. I can't lock my bike to parking meters, which sucks. What I really needed was a 5x11 lock, but I didn't see any of these on the market... Anyone with a hybrid or MTB that doesn't need the extra length should definitely stick with Kryptonite's 5x9 lock.
33 comments|68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 24, 2009
Very durable and has met the test after a few days. Someone tried to steal my bike with a saw and they gave up. Highly recommend lock!
on August 27, 2008
Overall, good lock for medium theft areas. I'd still get a chain lock in addition to this lock if I were going into high-theft areas. The key can be kinda tricky if not inserted properly into the slit (chance it may break); hasn't happened yet though.

Overall not a bad lock for the price I paid.
on March 19, 2011
The lock is fine, however I returned the first one only to find the second one had the same issue, so it seems to be a design flaw. The "spline" that is attached to the shackle (the metal loop part of the lock) has this allen-wrench-style hex net screw, so you can tighten it in the desired position. In both cases, that net screw is extremely wimpy and became "stripped" when tightening it. So the spline is not fully secure on the shackle. Why does this matter? When its mounted to the bracket on your bike, it can swing freely instead of being secured in a steady position, which is obviously dangerous and extremely inconvenient. I'm surprised by this because Kryptonite is supposed to be top quality lock.
on April 5, 2008
This lock works well and is long enough for my suspension bike with long fork travel. The long neck is great for locking up my bike without having to compress the shocks as I had to do with a normal lock. The only problem is that the key and lock mechanism isn't the most rugged.
on October 14, 2013
I use this pretty much daily as I try to bike to and from work every day. My last lock lost me a pretty nice bike that I loved so I purchased this in hopes of avoiding the same fate again. It seem secure and has been so far, I only wish they did not need be so heavy to be secure.
on June 10, 2012
Had this for several years. I have a large hybrid bike and life in an area with proper inverted U bike racks. This lock works very well going from front wheel, around inverted U, and onto the frame. Yes, its a long narrow lock - if you are going to lock to other things like parking meters, you might want a different model, one that is wider. The key works just fine (try WD40 if it sticks). The mounting bracket... really??? I have owned kryptonite locks all my life and never once used the mounting bracket. As someone noted, this model is significantly lighter than the more secure NYC model U locks; if you are carrying the lock all the time, that can be a factor.

Good standard lock. If you need more security, get a more expensive model but it will be heavier. Consider, if you are commuter, buying two locks - one for at home, one for at work - and just not carrying the thing.
on March 2, 2012
After reading some of the other reviews for this product, I was nervous that the key or the locking mechanism itself would be faulty or unreliable; however, this is entirely not the case. As long as you just insert the key the whole way, it works like a charm. The long construction is great for securing both your frame and wheel, and it's obviously a very solid lock.

That said, the people who criticized the mounting bracket were entirely right. It takes way too much force to get the lock on and off, and it's especially bad when it's mounted to your frame and you don't have much leverage. The first time I tried to get it off the bracket, when it finally gave I wound up slamming my hand into the bike and tore half the skin out from under my thumbnail. Not pleasant. Since then I've just carried the lock in my backpack.
on June 10, 2016
Very difficult to open the lock, I have to turn many times before it opens. Very new, and hasn't rained so it didn't rust. I tried to add oil to loosen it, however this did not help. Simply a faulty product.
on April 3, 2013
I live in Oakland, CA where bike thefts are common. This bike lock is sturdy and I haven't had any problems w/ the key/lock mechanism like some other U-locks. It's large enough to secure my bike to street signs, meters, etc, when there aren't any bike racks around but not super heavy like heavy-duty chain locks. I would not feel comfortable leaving my out overnight with this lock, but overall a good lock.