5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Pepper Preparation
Published on June 8, 2008 by Jason Guard

1.0 out of 5 stars NASTMom
I just received my grinder and used it for the first time. I bought it to grind flax seeds. Even on the fine grind half the seeds fall through whole.

Added to the fact that it is not grinding the seeds, it takes a lot of time. All the seeds do not go through, and the remaining seeds are hard to get out.

In addition, the hole where you put the...
Published on October 27, 2007 by NAST Mom

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars NASTMom, October 27, 2007
This review is from: Kuhn Rikon Vase Seasoning Grinder, Black (Kitchen)

In addition, the hole where you put the seeds in is very small. It would have been nice if it was bigger.

I am sorry I purchased this item.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Pepper Preparation, June 8, 2008
This review is from: Kuhn Rikon Vase Seasoning Grinder, Black (Kitchen)
This pepper mill goes right by my stove along with a little bowl of salt and a olive oil drizzler. When I bought it at a discount store, it worked great, but slowly stopped working. BUT WAIT, I wrote to the company and they wrote back immediately, graciously sending me a replacement part. It seems that the older model had an inferior/defective ceramic grinding stone. Something was wrong with the adjuster. Well, now it's good as new, if not better than ever. With every crank, I get the satisfying sensation of popping and cracking peppercorns. This thing means business and the fact that the grinder faces up when not in use means that it's much neater than most peppermills that leave a pile of pepper dust underneath. If the price doesn't scare you, then you've found the best kitchen grinder around.

4.0 out of 5 stars definitely "my" pepper grinder, October 27, 2006
This grinder is ALMOST everything you could ask for: easy to hold, grinds agressively, large capacity, easy to fill.. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because the adjustable coarseness wheel doesn't seem to give me a fine grind.. more like between medium coarse and "cracked", so I keep it on the "lowest" setting. I have only tried black peppercorns so I cannot review how it performs with other spices or salt.

I'm curious as to why the only other review at this point verbally loved it but gave it only 2 stars..

It seems like a very serious and robust piece of kitchen equipment that I will enjoy for many years. Now if my husband only liked black pepper as much as I do...

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing: Revised, December 25, 2006
I was really looking forward to these grinders because of what I thought was an excellent design. No getting pepper on the table - great idea. We put them on our wedding registry - two, in white and black, for our salt and pepper. They are a little pricey for such a basic item, but what the heck.

Problem is that they dont work well.

Grinding sea salt is OK, although a lot of excess salt tends to build up on the lip of the grinder, generally letting loose all at once so its hard to control how much salt you actually put on your food.

As a pepper grinder this product gets an "F". It cant handle the pepper corns, often getting jammed. Unfortunately, this means that after six months, the plastic grinding mechanism has become stripped and mostly doesnt turn at all. In addition, the ceramic grinding surface has already begun to wear out.

All I can say is "beware". These might work OK for some softer spices, but they've turned me from an enthusiastic buyer into a skeptic in a very short time.

Revised: As it turns out, the grinder was defective and broke shortly after I posted this review. We returned the pepper grinder and it was replaced without charge. We have been using the replacement grinder for several months and it is working OK now. It does actually grind the peppercorns acceptably. I have upgraded the rating accordingly.

2.0 out of 5 stars This is the SEASONING grinder!, August 25, 2010
This review is from: Kuhn Rikon Vase Seasoning Grinder, Black (Kitchen)
For those who want to use the spice grinder refill inserts, this is NOT the right grinder to buy with it. This is the SEASONING grinder, you want the vase SPICE grinder.
Kuhn Rikon Vase Spice Grinder, Black

Yes, the page says that this product is the spice grinder. Do not be fooled. Make sure that the product you are buying has the inserts clearly visible in the vase of the grinder. Don't make the same mistake that I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars great grinding, August 23, 2007
This review is from: Kuhn Rikon Vase Seasoning Grinder, Black (Kitchen)
This grinder does exactly what I wanted it to do:permit me to make different size granules. Easy to handle and attractive on the table.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great grinder, July 5, 2008
This review is from: Kuhn Rikon Vase Seasoning Grinder, Black (Kitchen)
I have 2, a white one for salt and a black one for pepper. It grounds very fine to coarse, easy to load. It grinds a nice amount, especially if you need/want a lot. Also, because you invert it, it keeps surfaces clean. The large base makes it easier for big hands as well. It's large enough where someone won't misplace it and cool looking as well as functional.

4.0 out of 5 stars Certainly among the best available., February 20, 2011
Tony Polito "TonyPolito" (Greenville, North Carolina) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kuhn Rikon Vase Seasoning Grinder, Black (Kitchen)
While not perfect, this item absolutely belongs on the short list when making a decision. I obsessively research before most any purchase and this item came with strong reviewer/poster recommendation. I've had a pair for three weeks and so far I am satisfied.

PROS:

* Holds a LOT of raw material.

* Easy to grip. Easy on the hand to grind. (Turn upside down, hold crown stationary in one hand, turn Base&ClearChassis portion with other hand to grind.)

* Aesthetic & attractive. Study build & materials.

* Pretty easy to fill. There's a soft rubbery plug that snugs into a hole in the base. When I pulled one out, it actually almost fell inside the ClearChassis, which would have left me with quite the "ship in a bottle" problem to solve.

* Available with trim in four colors: white, black, stainless and red. I saw someone who bought white for salt & black for pepper. What for, since you can see the contents of the grinder so well? I bought a pair of black to match my black china.

* No spillage. I just discarded a pair of battery-driven grinders that dispense out the bottom; they constantly left grind on the kitchen counter unless I shook them to death before setting them back down.

* I'd say the amount of grinding work required to dispense is at least average, if not better.

CONS:

* Coarse/fine adjustment is tricky; it's done using a gray, spindled spinner-knob in the center of the crown. Turning it back and forth raises and lowers the internal/center portion of the ceramic grinder (resizing the gap between it and the external/outer portion of the ceramic grinder.) On one unit the gray knob just screwed completely off the ceramic grinder, the ceramic didn't budge. On the other unit the knob wouldn't budge because the center ceramic was in too tight of a bind with its ceramic partner. I had to use pliers to remove both of the center ceramics then re-insert them. And even after that, it wasn't so easy to fine tune the coarseness desired. I've got them about where I want them and I'll learn to live with that. But I'll have to tell guests to keep their hands off the gray adjustment knob.

* Of course, it'd be better if the grinding was electrically-powered but no such luck. (The only design that would work would be to set them in a rechargeable base ... and build some kind of thin, circular battery into the bottom of the Base&ClearChassis, I suppose.

* I am sure that the stenciled Kuhn-Rikon logo is going to wear off quick with it being exactly where a person will grip hard with every use. They should have etched the logo into the material, or embedded a metal plate, or something.

* Gonna have to use a spongy bottle scrubber plus elbow grease to clean the inside of the thing.

CONCLUSION: Not unhappy with it at all ... and I suspect it's unlikely to seriously disappoint other buyers. The only other unit I seriously considered was the Kyocera Everything Mill Adjustable Grinder. Both this Kuhn Rikon unit and the Kyocera unit had loads of positive reviews. The deal-breakers for the Kyocera were (1) a top-cap to on/off with every use, (2) a smaller capacity & (3) screw/unscrew top&grind mechanism to refill.

CAREFUL! There's two versions and it would be easy to buy the wrong one! There is another one called "the spice grinder" where you have a set of clear tube containers for your set of different raw materials, then insert the tube of your choice into the Base&ClearChassis to grind it. THIS unit is correctly called "the vase grinder" and you just fill the whole ChearChassis up with the raw material of your choice, no container/tubes. I played it safe and went to the Kuhn-Rikon website and got the correct SKU for the one that I wanted (this 'vase grinder') ... wasn't taking a chance that Amaz. had the names mixed up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grinder, July 4, 2007
This review is from: Kuhn Rikon Vase Seasoning Grinder, Black (Kitchen)
This product is awesome and everyone should have one. I received the first one as a gift and loved it so much I bought a second. I have fresh ground salt and pepper all the time. My family and guests all love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best pepper grinder I've ever used!, August 9, 2008
This review is from: Kuhn Rikon Vase Seasoning Grinder, Black (Kitchen)
The Kuhn Rikon Vase grinder is the best grinder I've ever used for peppercorns. The grinder holds a lot of peppercorns, it is easy to adjust the coarseness of the pepper, and there's no clean-up afterwards thanks to the ingenious design with the grinder on top.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›