5.0 out of 5 stars Octagonal Shape Helps Braiding
Published on April 27, 2011 by Karen S. Garvin

3.0 out of 5 stars It's an o. k. loom. Wish it ...
It's an o.k. loom. Wish it were a little sturdier.
Published 2 months ago by bernadette

5.0 out of 5 stars Octagonal Shape Helps Braiding, April 27, 2011
This review is from: KumiLoom(TM) - Handheld Kumihimo Disk for BOTH Round and Flat Braiding
I started Kumihimo last year with a small circular foam disk. I decided to buy an additional larger disk and chose this one instead of another circular disk. I'm glad I bought it: the shape helps me to keep track of my work. I've seen references to using a marudai (the tradition Japanese wooden loom for Kumihimo) that use the terms "north, east, southeast," etc. to refer to the thread positions. Having the octagon shape makes these kind of directions a bit more clear.

The foam disk itself is sturdy and holds thread well. So far, I'm using #4 worsted yarn and similar weight materials. The foam will not fray yarns; even some of the fancier eyelash and boucle yarns I've been experimenting with do not get caught or torn. This disk is fairly thick and doesn't lose its shape like the smaller, thinner disk I started with. It's very lightweight and easy to carry with you if you want to braid on-the-go, and the threads won't easily "fall out" of the slots.

I recommend buying the plastic clam shell bobbins to keep your yarn or thread under control as you work. I experimented with both cardboard and plastic embroidery bobbins and they tangle like crazy (they aren't designed for braiding, anyway, but my store didn't have the clam shells in stock and I was in a hurry). Another thing you might want is a weight bag to attach to the braid so you don't have to hold the braid as you work. This will keep your hands from cramping and also keeps skin oils off the braid so it stays clean. I made a small cloth bag from scrap fabric and filled it with glass stones, like the ones sold for floral arrangements, as a weight bag. The flat stones can't roll away when they're dropped, and you can add or remove stones to easily vary the weight in the bag depending on the material you're braiding with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best for the money, July 16, 2009
I've tryed a bunch, even made a few of my own. this kumi. disk fits the bill nicely. It's small but useful and stands up to use (my 6 year old daughter has broke several but, not this one). At this price I'l be buying a few more.KumiLoom

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product and customer service, October 24, 2009
I have used this KumiLoom for many different types of braiding and I LOVE it. It is handy to add many techniques to my gourds and other craft designs. The directions are so easy to understand. Even my 6 year old granddaughter can do it.

4.0 out of 5 stars fun Kumi Loom, February 24, 2010
This was the one of the cutest things I have discovered in a long time. I'm always looking for something I can do when I wait for doctors or can go in an airplane without causing alam.
It is easy to carry and makes something nice and its fun! It can make fiendship bracelets that the kids like. They can sit in the car for hours without asking "are we there yet?"
The only negative thing I have to say is that it would have been nice if it brought a few patterns or links to patterns.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth Every Penny!!, August 18, 2013
I just started doing kumihimo. I foolishly thought making my own disk would be a good way to save money. I was wrong!!! Cutting foam is a pain the rear and the marker I used to mark out the dimensions bled all over my cord. Thankfully it was cheap cord I got to experiment with. I'm so glad I came to my senses and ordered this! It's just right, easy to hold and work with, lightweight but sturdy. It arrived quickly, and the seller is very nice and responsive to questions and queries. Even gave me some advice of where to look for how to videos!! Awesome service and quality. :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars easy, February 12, 2012
We've used cardboard looms for braiding, and this is way better for all my braiders, ages 7-12. It holds the cord reliably and is much easier to handle. If they braid a lot, it is well worth the investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extra braiding plate, February 28, 2011
It's great to have an extra braiding plate just in case you need to put one project down and start on another one due to a customer demand. Thanks for carrying them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, August 16, 2011
A great tool for beginners! I was braiding in NO time, this is SO easy to do, and so fun!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for those learning kumihimo, June 23, 2013
This is the only loom I use to teach kumihimo. The points on the loom make it easier for the new braider to remember
where they are and to keep the braiding straight. Holds up well...I've used mine for over 2 years and it still does a great job.

5.0 out of 5 stars KumiLoom, June 14, 2011
I normally use the round looms and have a rectangular one for flat kumihimo. This one is quite nice because I was able to number the "corners" counterclockwise to help my grandchildren remember which way to go. Think this will work best with a senior citizen, also, who needs something to work with after a heart attack while "mending."