4.0 out of 5 stars Truly a kung-fu master

Published on November 5, 2010 by Djoran Keil

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Re-edit of a TV series, November 5, 2010
This review is from: Kung-Fu Master (DVD)
This is actually a re-editing of a 1980 TV series, hence why the plot is thin and it feels like it was spliced together from disparate parts. Apparently Chinese distributors think that Western audiences can't handle full-length movies or entire TV series and that we only watch Kung Fu movies for the Kung Fu as they do this to a lot of movies and TV series that they release as movies. On that basis alone, I give it a 1 star rating and advise you to seek out the original.

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, October 1, 2010
This review is from: Kung-Fu Master (DVD)
I am a big fan of kung-fu movies so when I saw this I had to watch it. I figured it would be good since it is new. Also it has Yuen Biao in it who I loved in the Once Upon a Time in China series. After watching the movie which I could barely do, I was disappointed. This is one of the worst kung fu movies I have seen and any fan of kung fu movies knows there are a ton of bad ones. I prefer bad '70s kung fu movies to this. It seems to have taken little parts and scenes from a lot of movies to make this one. I thought the picture quality wasn't that good, the plot wasn't original, and the fight scenes were done poorly. It seems as if a high school drama class was in charge of producing the movie. If you have really low expectations than it may be okay but when I see Yuen Biao in a movie I expect it to not be horrible. I hope you like it more than I did.

4.0 out of 5 stars Truly a kung-fu master, July 13, 2013
Nathan (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kung-Fu Master (English Subtitled) (Amazon Instant Video)
The plots are simple and familiar, the scenes of places are beautiful, the duels are classics, and the Kung-Fu Master himself is just right. I'm glad to ignore the rating and rented this movie, what a surprise and exciting movie to watch. The bad reviews are just from those people who comes from different culture. It is like we from Asian origin country trying to review Happy Days, Gulligan Islands, or Grease. While they might be always be accepted as good story line, good series, even good movie, but for who doesn't grow up with it, the story, the acting, the culture just doesn't make sense at all.

For me who growing up watching this kind of Kung-Fu, Shaolin classic fight and this kind of story telling, while still in Beta-max and a little bit on Laser Disk, it just a memory line come rushing back again. Seeing them in HD format along with big screen LCD TV is just wonderful. Put it on different view, watching Happy Days, Gulligan Islands and Grease all together as the movie, although I am not sure how the story line goes, but I bet I won't be able to give a good review let alone finish watching it while some people will certainly give a good review. It doesn't mean the movie is bad, it just it doesn't make sense for some of us.

So for $2.99 rent, and getting non-stop Shaolin style kung-fu non-stop action, with no need for fancy story line, no bamboo forest scenes, this movie is awesome.

1.0 out of 5 stars waste of good plastic, November 5, 2011
This review is from: Kung-Fu Master (DVD)
very seldom do i come across a film without a single redeeming feature...this is one!!! save your cash...even the fight scenes are dreadful...i'm using my copy as a door jam...

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst Kung-Fu movie ever, October 27, 2011
This review is from: Kung-Fu Master (DVD)
I should have read the reviews before buying this horrendous movie. The kung-fu scenes are the worst pruduction I had ever seen. And, to make things worse (if that could be possible), there is no reasonable plot; the movie is just a quilt of badly acted fights. Maybe if you could watch the movie in Chinese you might have lines of more than three to four words, but because I don't speak Chinese I have no way to tell you; however, watching it in English might give you the pleasure to enjoy lines of at the most two words. The dialogs, in English, reminded me of some gutural dialogs in movies about prehistoric people casted in the early 70s.

1.0 out of 5 stars A Big Mess, April 21, 2011
thepete8 (Naperville, IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kung-Fu Master (DVD)
Another review suggest this movie is actually a TV show or mini-series that has been spliced together for release into a 95 minute movie, and that makes a lot of sense to me after watching this. Kung-Fu Master is no piece of art, as a movie or as a genre entry. Dou Xiao's direction is incredibly poor, and the martial arts are a curious mix of actual skill, badly done (and silly) wire-fu, and cut-aways evincing incredibly bad editing. While a plot can be thin in this genre, it should at least be serviceable. This movie has no discernible plot, and the end makes zero sense.

What's good about it? Well, Kung-Fu Master has some excellent long shots of some of the fights that incorporate several combatants at once. Most of these sequences involve fights with javelins or sticks. There's also (I think?) good effort displayed by star Yuen Biao, but the wire-fu and endless cuts always make you question whether it's real or completely faked.

It almost seems as though the movie is trying to be a modern day version of one of those cheesy chop-socky movies from the 70s, but I can't quite believe the people behind Kung-Fu Master had that much vision. I got the movie dirt cheap at a close-out sale for a Blockbuster Video store. And that's about all I can recommend you expend for it. Poor.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wow, unbelievably bad movie!!!, March 29, 2014
Well, total waste of $3.99, but felt I had to watch because I paid for it!!
I wish Amazon had a way that you could cancel the sale within the first 10 minutes or so!
Amazon......are you listening??
Anybody reading this, don't waste your money!!

5.0 out of 5 stars very good, March 25, 2014
This review is from: Kung-Fu Master (DVD)
very good. get one, you will like it, if it fits. maybe you will have to understand. ok, ok, ok, ok, ok.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of film, March 1, 2014
This review is from: Kung-Fu Master (English Subtitled) (Amazon Instant Video)
Storyline is choppy and the Kungfu is super weak. Unless you just want to waste time and money, avoid this at ALL cost!

1.0 out of 5 stars kungfu master, May 29, 2013
This review is from: Kung-Fu Master (DVD)
it would've been nice to see a preview of the movie prior to deciding to buy, I know it's not possible for all purchases, it still a good function to have

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›