5.0 out of 5 stars It works
The harness is easy to put on, easy to adjust. Our dog (lab-mix, around 50lb now and still growing) seems to like it and if you adjust the length right (I left it too long in the beginning and she ended up climbing on the front seat), the dog is kept safely in the back seat. We're happy we found this product!
Published on September 5, 2008 by Cottontail

3.0 out of 5 stars Good idea if you have something sturdy to attach it to.
Published on February 8, 2009 by K. Wanderman

3.0 out of 5 stars Good idea if you have something sturdy to attach it to., February 8, 2009
This product is a great idea and just what I needed to keep my dog in the back seat where the seat protector is instead of jumping in every other seat of the car and spreading dog hair everywhere. Unfortunately, if you have a dog that doesn't want to stay where you put them, they will find a way. In my case, one good lunge broke the attachment handle right off of my SUV. So, now I have it attached between the back seat seat belts so it is no longer overhead as I wanted it. Also, if you have an excitable dog, it's a good idea to detach from the line before you open the car door or your dog will end up hanging out of the side of the car with front legs dangling, putting too much pressure on the line to undo the clip. So, good product, very sturdy materials and a nice storage pouch, but the practical application is not as simple as it sounds.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great concept - Needs Improvement, April 15, 2009
Delayne Corle (Indianapolis, IN USA) - See all my reviews
I absolutely love the idea - and the zip line works well. I am having trouble with it loosening up all the time - doesn't want to stay tightened. The harness simply will not fasten around my 90 pound dog OR my 85 pound dog (they're lean and muscular, not fat) so the XL size isn't exactly for dogs 80+ pounds. I've had to purchase a separate harness to use with the zip line - I'd highly recommend selling the zip line itself singly, not just packaged with the harness.

I'm using the zip line every time I take one of my dogs with me - they don't get tangled up in the line, and they can reach the windows or lie down comfortably while still being prevented from "helping" me drive and providing restraint and protection if I have to hit the brakes suddenly.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works, September 5, 2008

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Product, Great Value, One Critical Flaw, $3 fix, October 31, 2011
This review is from: Kurgo Automobile Zip-Line, Medium (Dogs 25 to 50 Pounds) (Misc.)
First off, this is a good product. The quality of construction seems good/sturdy. The installation was easy for me, hanging it from hand grip to hand grip is the easiest of the installation types, head rest to head rest would be easy as well. Value is good compared to items that I looked at a several pet stores. This product, unlike others I have seen, include both the harness and the zip-line.

Now the parts that I didn't like so much: the leader leash that connects the harness to the zip line connects to the zip-line by means of a carabiner. The carabiner in my package didn't look "new" in that it was all scuffed up. To me this is an incredibly minor detail, but I thought I would mention it. Also it is extremely heavy, which doesn't matter for it's function in any way. On the other end of the leash there is a heavy metal clip that attaches to the harness, but with no swivel on either end of the leash (caribiner or clip). My puppy gets pretty excited in the car sometimes and has a habit of moving around a lot, including turning around in little circles. Because of a lack of any type of swivel on the leash it means that the leash itself just gets all wound up. Literally the first time we used this product we left our dog in the car for 10 minutes when we ran into the store and she had wound herself up so much that she actually torqued the clip right off of the harness and was sitting and smiling in the front seat when we got back.

The good news is there is a very easy fix for this problem, I bought a 3.5 inch x 5/8 inch swivel snap hook at home depot for about $3, very similar to this product: Premium-Grade 3-1/2" Snap Hook Spring Gate - 1" Swivel Eye. Conveniently right next to where these are sold (hardware section) was the chain cutting machine (employee use only, wink wink) which was perfect for cutting the old snap off. Then I simply ran the leash through the eye of the swivel hook and looped it into the leash. It works great now!

Usually I would not rate a product 4 stars for something that had a pretty crucial design flaw in it, but with the value and easiness of the fix for this product I think it still deserves a 4-star rating, but I would urge Kurgo to make this pretty simple design fix to their product.

Pros:
Sturdy
Easy to Install
Good Value

Cons:
bad design on leash clip, needs replacing in my opinion.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, but forget about returning it, January 15, 2008
Anita Morrow (Concord, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I am very happy with this product overall. Nice quality, very secure. I would purchase it again. However, I initially intended to return it because I had something very similar. Amazon said I had to contact the vendor directly, so I sent an email to the vendor asking for instructions for returning or exchanging, and they never responded. Something to consider when making the purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, but snug, September 20, 2009
I bought this for my spaniel who is 35 lbs., clearly in the medium size range. When I got it and tried to put it on him, if I actually clasped the belts (at full extension) he probably wouldn't be able to breathe!
I called Kurgo itself and they promptly fixed the problem and sent me an extender and now it works great.
He can't come and jump on my lap while driving.

Overall, great product and great company, but consider ordering a size up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exellent quality harness, February 25, 2010
I have a 25lb Sheltie puppy that has slipped out of several collars. I got this product for a long car trip. The quality of the product is excellent; it's made out of very good high quality materials and is very substantial looking and feeling (my Sheltie looks like he's getting ready for a parachute jump while wearing it). I haven't used all the included hardware to keep my dog in the back seat yet; my main reason for buying the harness was so that I had something to put on him that I was sure he couldn't wriggle out of while being walked at a rest stop. For that it has worked flawlessly. You can adjust the neck portion and the portion that goes around the chest and legs separately, so you should be able to make it fit your dog. I also use this harness for regular walks at home because I'm sure that he's not going to be able to slip it if he sees something he wants to chase. All in all a very good product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beat Expectation, November 29, 2009
Brooke Lynn (NJ United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased this zip line and harness for my 9 month old Yorkie Poo for a long road trip. She loves looking out the window but was unable to when strapped into a seat harness. She could not move around easily and got tied up in the belt. My husband and I were going away and knew we needed something that allowed her to roam the backseat and look out the window. This was a perfect solution.

She does not even know that she is attached to anything and can lay on the seat and nap if she wants to. The clip that attached to the line is heavy and hard to open when clipping to line. The clip from the lead to harness is also hard to open and clip. It is getting easier with use but it is much easier to take the whole harness off than just the lead when we reach the destination. I would have liked to use the harness by itself but it is not terrible.

I sometimes wonder if it is safe enough as she does move back and forth and is only attached to the zip line. We have not had a problem so it is working for us. I am very pleased with this product and even happier that we can take the puppy where ever we go and she can still look out the window and see what is going on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kurgo Auto Zip, June 30, 2008
This allows everyone to be comfortable in the car. My dog is restrained which makes me comfortable and it gives her freedom of movement which makes her happy. Great invention.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the Few Extra Dollars, February 8, 2011
We have a 45 lb. 8 month old lab-mix female named Zoey, that has very little car experience. I was in the market for an inexpensive restraint system that would prevent her from climbing onto my daughter's lap while operating her truck. I came across this system which includes a leash, harness, zip line and storage bag. When I first put it on Zoey it was a little tight considering she was within the weight range. I had to extend the straps out fully. At fist she tried pulling at it. After 15 minutes I took it off and put it back on after an hour. I repeated this throughout the day. After a few cycles she no longer minded wearing it. After knowing it meant it was walk time she was eager to have it on. The walks stretched out the harness where I had to tighten them. As for the zip line and using the system in the car it keeps her away from the drivers area and on the passenger seat. The chest pad reduces injury as it spreads out the contact area. Plus the restraint prohibits her from exiting the vehicle while you exit. It is a secure walking harness and more humane than a choke chain. If you aree going to buy this type of system I recommend this one.

Feb 19/11: One suggestion would be to have a swivel hook on the end of the leash. The current attachment is a heavy duty snap clip which I am sure is part of the integrity of the safety restraint system. But while walking thee dog the leash gets twisted around. A heavy duty swivel hook would would serve both needs.