Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Kurt Adler 12-Inch 20/Light Star Treetop
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on January 9, 2010
It looks very nice, no doubt, but I have to say it was a nightmare getting it to fit on the tree. (artificial)

The problem is the "star" is very high above the spring "cup" which is what is supposed to go down over the top of the tree. This does nothing but want to fall over since there is not enough tree to hold up the star. (Which is pretty heavy, I'd estimate about a pound, and I'm not kidding.) What I had to do was take pliers to the spring part, and open it up so that the tree was closer to the center of the star instead of being 3" away. Once I did that, it does stay put.... unless someone bumps the tree and then it'll fall over.

On a natural tree it might not be a problem, but on an artificial tree it was 30 minutes of work.

Looks rates 4 stars
Mounting rates 1 star.
on December 13, 2012
While I found this star topper to be quite pretty when it works. This star topper is very cheaply made and doesn't work consistently. Also, there are some design flaws.

1. The star topper is heavy as others have mentioned. I found a way to make it work by rigging up some twist ties and shoving a black piece of wood underneath so that it doesn't flop over. If you order this star, expect it to sit on a very strong tip of the tree or you'll have to rig your own.

2. I love that it's a lighted start topper as that is what we were looking for. However, this dumb topper is one of those light strands where if one goes out, they all do. So I am now sitting here less than two weeks before Christmas with a star topper that is only about a month old that goes off and on as it pleases. I've tried to figure out why it does this, but it just has a mind of its own. This is very annoying. I would expect a better quality star topper for the price.

3. Speaking of quality, this is made of plastic, which is fine. It actually does look nice once it's all lit up and sits on the tree without flopping. This is why I gave it at least 2 stars. It does look good once it works and sits fine. But I have had ongoing issues with both the light working AND it flopping over constantly.

4. The cord. How dumb is it to make the cord white? Really? The person who designed this couldn't have made the portion of the wire that runs along the tree green or even black so it blends in better with the tree? Kind of a dumb design if you ask me. I feel like this is a design oversight that should be fixed given the price point. I expect more.

5. The lights are a little bit too bright. I feel like the light would be prettier if it was not so white and maybe a little more yellow. The white lights in the star topper are a little bit overpowering if the rest of the lights on your tree are multi-colored like ours or not all white lights.

I would say buy this star topper at your own risk. It is pretty, but expect it to be some work in getting it to look right. At this point, I know I'll be removing it tomorrow (yet again) to try to figure out why the damn thing keeps on going on and off on me. At this point, I may need to replace this thing next year with something that actually works. It feels like a waste of money at this point. But I know I don't want to be fussing with this thing year after year.

Such a bummer, because it really is pretty when it does work.
on December 13, 2012
From the picture, we thought it was going to be silver. But in actuality it is a white metal cage with hot glue all over it to form the design (at least that is my perception). It is definitely nicer than the $10 plastic one we bought as a temporary. But not quite as beautiful as we were expecting. I'm not super disappointed and we're keeping it, just something I wish I knew. The picture of it could be a bit better to more accurately portray it. I'm sure it will look real nice when lit at night as well.

Unlike another reviewer, we had no issue mounting it to our fake tree. I thought the base held it up very well.
on December 9, 2013
You have to have a very sturdy tree for this to fit on. It is very heavy and I had to balance it just right to keep it from falling over. It is very bright but the cord is a bit short making it kind of hard to plug in to the other lights on the tree. I had to put an extension cord running up my tree to plug it in. The pattern is kind of a hot glue looking mess but only when it's not lit. It served its purpose but so far I have not been very impressed by the Kurt Adler brand.
on January 27, 2014
This is exactly what I was looking for. It's very bright and big. It is a little hard to get on the tree. I had to use ties to keep it from going backwards. But other then that I love it. Shipping was fast too. Can't beat amazon price!
on January 17, 2014
The star is pretty but it is heavy. Consider that when mounting on the top of the tree. The one that I received had pieces of broken plastic coming off of it. I sent it back and ordered an old, used star. It is lighter and prettier.
on December 16, 2012
I chose this tree topper because it has plenty of lights on it and looks really classy. I didn't want anything cheap or tawdry looking. We decided to get a new and bigger tree this year as it was our first Christmas in our new home after a very stressful move and I wanted to do something a bit different regards the tree top. For the last 15 years or so I have been using a really nice ribbon tree topper that I had made up in one of these locally owned home designer places. It always looked different and very classy however I wanted to get a lighted tree top this time. It takes a bit of twiddling when placing it on the tree but once you get it placed right, it stays there.
on March 7, 2013
It isn't the best quality but the price was right. It is a nice star and is quite sturdy. We had to nip off quite a bit of tree top for this to fit, but it did and it looks nice albeit a bit bright. The three wise men could see this star ten miles away...
on December 17, 2012
I really like this star. It made our tree look glorious. I had low expectations from the picture in the website, but it looks really nice all lit up. 4 stars because I had to repair it when it arrived. It was nonfunctional when it arrived, and after changing the fuses it still didn't work. I had to unplug and replug every bulb until it lit up.
on December 17, 2006
I looked all over for a tree topper that was lighted and beautiful and not too cheapy looking even though they all seem to be made of plastic these days. This one is it! It's just beautiful... highly recommended!

See 1 answered question