Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on June 17, 2011
Ever since I lost my collection of Vonnegut books to water damage some years ago, I've been looking for a nice omnibus edition of his novels. Well, the Library of America (LOA) has now come out with a collection of his work beginning with "Cat's Cradle" and ending with "Breakfast of Champions." In between those two, we also get "God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater" and his masterpiece "Slaughterhouse Five", along with a few short stories and some assorted minutiae. My problem with this edition is that, while it's nice to have these titles together, I question why the LOA didn't put his first three novels - "Player's Piano", "Sirens of Titan", and "Mother Night," in this collection first and save Slaughterhouse and Breakfast for a later collection (UPDATE: the LOA is planning on releasing a larger second volume of Vonnegut sometime in the near future with his first three novels and even more goodies). I was also hoping for more short stories instead of letters and speeches. Save the letters and speeches for a separate volume that you could devote to his essays (of which he wrote plenty). While this introductory volume from LOA is not a total letdown, it could've been much better!

**UPDATE AS OF 6/20/2011: Having been taken to task in the Comments section for my supposedly "uninformed" comments, I now revise my review. While I still feel the same way as I did in the earlier review, I will say that this is still a book worth buying - especially if you want a nice hardcover collection of Vonnegut's material as opposed to buying the various soft cover editions. The ancillary material at the back of the book really does compliment the stories and the illustrations for "Breakfast of Champions"(done by Vonnegut himself) are reproduced with great clarity. The price (if purchased on Amazon) is great as well. LOA has never skimped on the quality of the material they publish; these books are worth every penny spent on them. While I'm not going to lose any sleep over what this volume does or doesn't contain, I will state that I will be buying more of these volumes of Vonnegut as they are released. If you're a lover of Vonnegut's work and want to see more of his material released by the LOA, support LOA by buying this and any future volumes.
99 comments|46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 8, 2011
I already own all of these works individually, but I still want this just because it's so cool. I've handled a physical copy in a store so I can attest to the fact that it is an attractive and well-bound book. It's got good weight to it, know what I mean?

Listen: if you've read and enjoyed anything by this man, you should buy this book and read the entire thing. As someone who has read Vonnegut's works beyond the ones here, I would also say that they did a great job getting his most popular and crucial work. Truth be told, however, if I had my way I would've swapped out "God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater" for "Sirens of Titan" without hesitating. But that's not to say anything bad about the former there, I simply prefer the latter.

Get it.
on December 26, 2011
Here's what's included in this volume along with the four featured novels:

Stories:

Address to the American Physical Society, New York City, February 5, 1969

Appendix B:
Letter from PFC Kurt Vonnegut, Jr., to his family, May 29, 1945
Wailing Shall Be in All Streets
A "Special Message" to readers of the Franklin Library's limited edition of "Slaughterhouse-Five"
Preface to the twenty-fifth-anniversary edition of "Slaughterhouse-Five"
on March 29, 2014
Kinky, and entertaining, yet thought-provoking. I had not heard much about him until coming to Indianapolis in 1971 to attend Butler University. His father's hardware store was just going under, but HE was very much on people's tongues and lips, praising his prose. I got into a bind during my sophomore year, reading his books in lieu of my assignments. He, Robert B. Parker, and Larry McMurtry are my all-time favorite authors.

The Library of America editions are great items; they all too often provide several works by an author for about the same price as a single novel.
on September 18, 2014
I have been a big fan of Kurt Vonnegut for years, so I was delighted to find this beautifully bound volume of some of his most important work. His ideas are timeless, the humor is always fresh and unexpected, and his insights are a breath of fresh air. I recommend reading Vonnegut, and I particularly recommend this beautiful book for your library.
on July 23, 2015
I recently had occasion to read a forthcoming dual biography of Kurt Vonnegut and his scientist-brother. I gave it a favorable review and it prompted me to reread Vonnegut, whom I had not read since everybody else was reading him back in the sixties and seventies. I thought then that he was a minor writer, and his profundities not that at all. I have now gone back to his best-known novels, collected here, and at 70 I feel no differently than I did at 30. .
on May 18, 2013
I chose to purchase this collection of some of Vonnegut's work not just for the savings in price over buying separately, but also because I intend to pass my collection on to my daughter when she's of age. The Library of America books are built to last for generations and I look forward to expanding my collection of their compilations.
on April 24, 2014
Vonnegut is one of my favorite authors. His work speaks for itself, so I'll speak only to the quality of this particular volume.

Great weight, lovely feel to the pages, good quality binding and cover. Even the font is pleasant. I'm not a fan of dust covers but this book has one. I covered that with an old leather cover from a journal that fits like a glove. Makes it look even more regal when I'm reading on the bus.
on June 27, 2011
Back in the 70s, I read everything of Kurt Vonnegut that I could get my hands on. This volume is a treasure, because it contains several of his best novels and a selection of his best short stories. If you love the works of this marvelous author, you will love this book. I am happy that he is getting the recognition he deserves as one of the greatest writers of the 20th Century.
on March 17, 2014
The only Vonnegut novel I had ever heard of was Slaughterhouse Five and, since his was a name that I had always heard of, I wanted to read it. I must say that, overall, these were some of the funniest, if not the funniest, stories that I have ever read. Rarely, does a novel make me laugh out loud when sitting in a room reading by myself. Vonnegut made me do so many times. However, if you are not paying attention, you might overlook the fact that he is often commenting on serious issues of the day. For example, in Cat's Cradle, KV creates ice-9 as a metaphor for the A-bomb and the story is basically about man's inability to competently handle weapons of mass destruction. Aside from Breakfast of Champions which I felt dragged on too long, these novels were very enjoyable and a welcome temporary relief from some of the very good, but heavier, novels by Faulkner that I have been reading. I will definitely read more Vonnegut and, if you are not familiar with KV, this is a good collection to start with.