1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Mesmerised, May 17, 2013
This review is from: Kurzweil MP15 Digital Piano Satin Rosewood
I was an intermediate player like 20 years ago, but hadn't touched a piano since, mainly because I emigrated and was busy. This piano came on the radar once I read somewhere that Kurzweil produced a new line of digital ones; the MP10, 15 and 20. Saw the videos on youtube and decided I had to listen to it personally, first. I'm here in Bogotá so not much hope finding one, but there it was and I'm absolutely fascinated by the quality of its sound, touch, functionality, looks, room filling sound system and just plain elegance. If you haven't played a while, like me, then the feel of this 88 hammer action keyboard is nothing short of any acoustic piano you've sat at, obviously not including the 40.000 dollar Steinways.

I bought the MP15, cuz the 10 doesn't have hammer action and I want action. The 20 was a slighty out of my budget, has graded hammer action (just a tidy bit more feel to it), but decided I didn't care. This piece of equipment is amazing and designed by the brand/guy that was at the helm of digital-copying-acoustic during the 60's, with bands like Pink Floyd, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Ray Charles, NIN and not to forget Peter Gabriel, all using his systems. Now I think Mr. Kurzweil is like head of Engineering at Google after a life of other useful things he came up with.

Pros:
Absolutely beautiful sound
Loud!
Near perfect feel
Easy to just lose yourself playing
Easy access to navigation board
Lots of sounds to choose from, easy to implement
MIDI in/out
Mp3 in
Elegant design
Robust built
Easy installation (do invite your girlfriend to help out, then dedicate a song to her afterwards)

Cons:
The matching bench is not so matching
The wood is MDF, with Rosewood finish. I like the quality of everything except the (weak) back.
* I need to think too hard to come up with anything else..

If you're looking for a digital piano that will surprise you with its acoustic feel, this is the one. Personally I'm very focused on sound quality (also in home stereo) so it had to be a Kurzweil, one way or the other. If you're on the same trail, just try and cough up the money; you'll be in for some profound enjoyment.

========= UPDATE ========= May, 29th

Just a small addition saying that this piano is everything i hoped for. I dont use recording (yet), or program left/right hand with different sounds; but i have extensively worked through all of its functions and am amazed by its versatility. Besides the Grand Piano sound stage, which is just huge and fabulously loud; this jewel produces a wide range of possible compositions, high quality well designed sounds that will non-stop fascinate any creative mind. Extremely happy with newly gained evening inspiration. Glad to be turning off the TV some more.

Kurzweil MP15 Digital Piano Satin Rosewood