4.0 out of 5 stars Kushies vs Bumkins Long-Sleeved Bibs
I was looking for a long-sleeved waterproof bib for my toddler-to-be, and I first purchased Bumkins Waterproof Sleeved Bib - Blue Fizz. They both have their pros and cons, but here's the list for Kushies:

PROS
1. BPA-free, PVC-free, phthalates-free, *lead-free* (Bumkins is NOT lead-free, but only lead-*safe*)
2. Easy to clean, especially on the lining...
Published on March 25, 2011 by inamra

2.0 out of 5 stars Searching for the perfect long sleeve bib: 4 comparisons
I couldn't believe how much time I had to spend each day trying to get stains out of clothes. And with winter coming up, I wanted to get long sleeve bibs, which for some reason I haven't seen in Babies R Us or any other store. Every bib I got seemed to have some issue, but I thought it might be helpful for others to see a comparison of the details:

SIZE...
Published on August 27, 2011 by E. Karr

2.0 out of 5 stars Searching for the perfect long sleeve bib: 4 comparisons, August 27, 2011
This review is from: Kushies Waterproof Bib with Sleeves, White Circle, Toddler (Baby Product)

SIZE
Kushies - the smallest of the three bibs (sleeve - 11 inches from neck, width - 10 inches, length - 13 inches from neck).
Ikea - sleeve (14 inches from neck, including a 1 inch fabric cuff), width (12 inches from one seam to another but another 8 inches that wrap around - yea!!), length (14 inches from neck)
Bumpkins - sleeve (14.5 inches from neck), width (13.5 inches), length (12.5 from neck)
Tidy Turtle - the largest (sleeve - 16 inches from neck, width - 14 inches, legth - 15 inches from neck)

MATERIAL
Kushies and Ikea are very thin, like umbrella material. Kusies folds down to nothing - great for a full diaper bag. Ikea folds a little thicker due to cloth cuffs and extra fabric.
Tidy Turtle and Bumpkins are thicker and stiffer. Tidy Turtle has a visibly larger weave.

CUFFS
All the sleeves have a 3-inch opening (in diameter).
Kushies - no elastic cuff. Food may fall in and drip onto the baby's arms/clothes.
Ikea - 1 inch of soft spandex fabric. The cuff opening is just a little bit smaller than the other bibs.
Bumpkins and Tidy Turtle - elastic sewn inside the bib material.

NECK CLOSURE
My 20lb baby has a skinny neck. Unfortunately, all of the bibs are about the same size around the neck, regardless of what type of closure. Bumpkins ties together at the neck, and the others have velcro. Even they are supposed to be "adjustable" velcro, they are all about the same size opening on the smallest setting. With velcro, you also have to make sure you stick it together before washing. Otherwise, it will stick to and ruin your other clothes. Unfortunately, the Ikea bib has an extra long grippy part that cannot be covered, so you are sure to ruin some delicate clothes if you throw it in the wash without putting it in a separate lingerie bag or something.

In general, all the long sleeve bibs seem too big for my my 1 year old and were too big around the neck area. Sometimes I use a clothes pin to make the neck opening smaller. Aside from that, I feel that Bumpkins and Ikea provide the best coverage without being too big. They are wide and long enough on the bottom and have an elastic cuff to keep Baby's clothes clean. I like Ikea's thinner material and spandex cuffs, but Bumpkins looks cuter (we love Cat in the Hat).

4.0 out of 5 stars Kushies vs Bumkins Long-Sleeved Bibs, March 25, 2011

PROS
2. Easy to clean, especially on the lining (vs Bumkins' lining stains and is regular cloth/cotton material and hard to clean)

CONS
1. Thinner material (almost feels disposable but it's not)
2. Velcro neck strap (doesn't adjust to neck size of baby, not as resilient as a tie strap in terms of older babies pulling it off)

Both have nice designs and work well as bibs. Like any other cloth/fabric-type bibs, the flimsy "catcher" at the bottom of these bibs doesn't catch as nicely as hard plastic-type bibs but those stiffer bibs are also less comfortable. My baby seems comfortable in both Bumkins and Kushies sleeved bibs, although he tends to chew on the Bumkins one more whereas the thinner material (maybe the thinner material is actually a pro instead of con in this case?) allows the bib to fall against his body more and is less tempting than the thicker material of the Bumkins bib that sort of stays closer to his face/mouth.

Overall though, Kushies gets my vote for lead-free, esp since my baby likes chewing on the Bumkins one. And the easier to clean is a big bonus for busy parents as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars The perfect art smock, April 25, 2011
I got this to use as an art smock and it worked perfectly. Cleans up well and looks really cute on my little artist. Size seems to run small. Toddler size just fits my skinny 1 year old.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone needs this bib!, January 17, 2012
I love this bib. This is the third one I purchased, the first one got accidentally thrown away, and the second was left at family's out of town. We are not going to lose this one! It is so easy just to wipe clean or you can throw it in the wash. Love it!
For reference, my one year old is 20 pounds and still using the infant size. The toddler size is still pretty large on her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Daycare Approved!, March 3, 2014
My son's daycare has these on their wish list for each parent to buy and donate. The kids do really well in these during the day and it keeps them clean during meal times.

3.0 out of 5 stars No elastic on cuffs lets this bib down., November 27, 2012
It's a great bib, easy to clean, but the main draw back is that it has no elastic on the cuffs. All the food goes down sleeves and up them when baby puts his/her hand in a bowl or plate of food. Designed by someone who never actually tested it on a child!

4.0 out of 5 stars The best bibs we've tried so far!!, March 24, 2012
These beat out everything else we've tried to date:
-Standard cloth bibs: These are the worst. Starting around 9 months of age, they'd get ripped off immediately or I'd have to struggle to tie them on a squirmy kid. They also stain really easily and you need tons of them to have enough between laundry days. Plus standard bibs don't have enough coverage and we had to change outfits after meals anyways.
-Silly Billyz Messy Eater Bib: These were OK. I like that they have wrists and a snug neck, but the sleeves are still way too long on our 1 year old which means the cuffs aren't working for us yet. They're also fleece, so they still need to go through the laundry in between meals and are a bit hot in the summer.
-Tidy Turtle: The fabric is stiff and not very cute. Also the arm holes and cuff are really loose, so my daughter can pull her arm out while eating.
-Bumkins Sleeved Bibs: These are very similar to Kushies in both cost and style. However, they've since moved production from the US to China, so the quality has gone down. Add to that the "lead safe" but not "lead free" label...might as well use the Kushies.

Pros:
These are made in Canada and don't have lead or other toxins. They're really reasonably priced (similar prices as the now made-in-China Bumkins brand. My daughter doesn't mind wearing them (seems to like them, in fact) and I like the circle patterns. The best thing about them is that you only need 2-3 of them. After a meal, we just rinse off in the sink and hang to dry on the drying rack. They pack really well, so you can stuff some in the diaper bag or easily travel with them.

Cons:
My daughter isn't spoonfeeding herself yet, but there aren't cuffs on them...so stuff will probably run down the sleeves. When she starts using her own spoon, we'll just put her in short sleeves or maybe use a wrist band.

4.0 out of 5 stars great for the diaper bag/backup, January 2, 2014
we normally use the Baby Bjorn bib (BabyBj%C3%B6rn 046060US BABYBJORN Soft Yellow but this one works much better in the diaper bag as it folds down smaller.

side benefit that we can use it for art projects

4.0 out of 5 stars and that seems to be the best I can do, August 17, 2014
I have been using these for my twins' meals since they were 6 months old and they are now 8 months and have just started feeding themselves more consistently so things are getting a lot messier. They wear the infant size and it definitely protects their fronts and arms really well. But that's it. Obviously their legs, sides and back are still susceptible to getting food all over them. So I strip them down to their diapers and then put these bibs on, and that seems to be the best I can do. Because otherwise I would still be cleaning stains out of the sides and backs of their onesies. I just wish there was a smock bib that really covered everything!!! Like the smocks you wear when you get your hair cut. But they would have to have leg holes. So basically babies need bib jump suit type things, lol. All in all I do like these bibs but haven't tried anything comparable so I don't know if they are the best out there. But they do protect the front and arms very well. And they are pretty easy to clean. I either simply wipe the food off them with a rag, OR if they ate something super messy like bananas, I hand wash the whole bib under water with dish soap, wipe it somewhat dry with a towel and then let it air dry for a while.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, poor description., July 3, 2014
HF (New Bern, NC, USA) - See all my reviews
Love the bib, but poor description from Amazon. The product page lists two sizes, infant and toddler. The picture shows 4 sizes on the packaging (small, medium, large and x-large). I have a 9 month old and didn't want to order the toddler size and end up with the x-large, so I ordered the infant. I was sent the small. It fits her but barely. She will only get a month or so out of this size. It would be nice if Amazon updated their information to show the actual sizes available. Otherwise, the bib is great. We love the quick velcro closure. The material is easily rinsed off for light messes. We have another long sleeve bib that has elastic around the wrists. This helps control messes a bit more than the Kushies. But the Kushies is a little easier to get on because of the openness in the wrist area. It's a trade off. Overall, if they had this in a larger size, I'd order another one in the future.

Rate and Discover Movies