5.0 out of 5 stars Performs Perfectly - Hardware and Software
Testing Configuration

Motherboard: ASUS
Processor: AMD 5600 (dual core 3 gHz, X2/64)
Memory: 3 gB

I ordered this USB stick from Amazon and received it in four days. Good service!

Software install went exactly as listed on the sheet that came with the install disk.

I attached an RCA flat plate antenna with internal low...
Published on May 13, 2009 by Hasan al-Basri

1.0 out of 5 stars version 1 is great, version 2 is junk
Published on January 28, 2011 by Mike

5.0 out of 5 stars Performs Perfectly - Hardware and Software, May 13, 2009
This review is from: Kworld USB ATSC TV Tuner TV Tuners and Video Capture UB435-Q (Personal Computers)
Testing Configuration

Motherboard: ASUS
Processor: AMD 5600 (dual core 3 gHz, X2/64)
Memory: 3 gB

I attached an RCA flat plate antenna with internal low noise preamp to the USB stick. I am using the USB extension cable. I then scanned for channels (as part of the setup), and got all 13 available channels. The scan took about 4 minutes or so, updating the screen to show me what it had found.

Tuning the various channels in a windowed (not full screen) mode displays a signal level meter. Most stations are running between 80 and 100%. I am located 27 miles from the transmitter complex. I love the signal meter display. It is large and responsive when I move the antenna around. The tuner appears to be quite sensitive. I was able to get 8 channels with nothing more than the included whip (magnetic base) sitting on top of a lamp shade.

The display of channel numbers is crude. No use of "-" or "." for subchannels. Channel 13-2 is displayed as 132. This is a very minor point, but can be disconcerting at first. The fastest way to change channels is to just enter the numbers, 132 (from the keyboard), in this example.

The software is very easy to use. I never looked at the manual, just clicked around and was easily able to follow the program flow. After installing, be sure to go to the Total Media setup screen that lets you enable hardware acceleration. (if your graphics chip supports it). With hardware acceleration enabled my processor loading is less than 20%, even while recording HD.

The ability to record, and schedule recordings using the EPG (electronic programming guide) is a nice plus. Playback of recordings looks very good. This software basically gives you a DVR, and you can burn DVDs of your recorded programs if you like. The GUI is not as smooth as my DirecTV DVRs, but it is easy to use and functional. After playing around for a while (that is why bought this thing, isn't it?), you should have no problem navigating.

I like the ability to save the channel list (Export), so it can be imported later. You can save several lists if you like, and only import what you want.

Summary:

1. Very sensitive tuner with excellent signal meter.
2. Feature filled and stable (no crashes) software.
3. Easy to use, intuitive software.
4. Low processor loading on my machine.
5. Picture Quality is Excellent (of course, it's HD)
6. Playback audio is in sync with video (recordings)
7. Live View audio is in sync with video.

Operational Note: If in full screen mode, using all your display area, you can go back to the windowed mode by hitting the escape key. You can also use the menu mode to do screen captures, etc. Placing the cursor at the bottom of a screen will bring up a menu.

It will be interesting to see how reliable this thing will be. It runs warm, and for only 39 bucks, I'm not expecting it to run forever. For now, I'm very impressed!

4.0 out of 5 stars Works!, February 15, 2009
I bought this product so I could get 1080i local channels through my cox cable provider. The channels are crystal clear. However, the channel set up is a little annoying. It also has a record feature that will make a MPEG file. The burn to dvd disc feature will not work for some reason. I downloaded a copy of EASY MPEG and I now am able to burn 1080i channels to a dvd-r. Overall I am very happy the price was right, I bought mine on NEWEGG for $29.99 + shipping.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works Great in Windows and Linux Xubuntu ATSC, January 26, 2012
James (United States) - See all my reviews
Works good in Windows Vista 32bit SP2 and Windows XP SP3 and Linux Xubuntu 11.10 "Ocelot"
for ATSC "over the air" viewing -- had some trouble with aborted timed recordings.

[...]

Using "HyperMedia Center" or "TiVme" software for Windows and Kaffeine Media Player for Linux.

[...]

With Xubuntu 11.10 "Ocelot", my Kworld ub435-q USB TV tuner works great in Kaffeine Media Player v. 1.2.2 and KDE v. 4.7.4 for "over the air broadcasts" without any modifications.

A) Simply open up Kaffeine

B) choose "Digital TV" in the Start Menu

C) hit "Configure Television" option icon

D) Click on "Device 1" tab

E) Choose "Source" which for me was "us-ATSC-center-frequencies-8VSB" for over-air broadcasts

F) Close window, go back to Kaffeine TV window and click "Channels" option icon

G) In "Channels" window, make sure "Source" is set to "ATSC", then hit "Start Scan" button -- the scan took about 3 minutes and 17 channels were found -- I believe all that are in my area.

H) Once the scan is complete, highlight all channels found in the right-hand box "Scan Results" (or all that you would like to save) then click "Add Selected" and those channels will then appear in the left-hand box called "Channels"

I) Hit "OKAY" to get out of "Channels" window and you will return to Kaffeine "Digital TV" window with your selected channels appearing in the left margin column.

j) Double click on a channel to select -- and now hopefully you are watching !

Thanks Ubuntu and Kaffeine for programming for this tuner.

1.0 out of 5 stars version 1 is great, version 2 is junk, January 28, 2011
I ordered one of these and was so happy with it I ordered another to use at work. The second I received was "version 2". The case is the same but the LED was a different color. After I installed the drivers and software, it seemed to work OK at first. I then noticed it would not receive half the channels the version 1 was able to. I also noticed the software locked up a lot when version 2 but didn't with the version 1. Because of Amazon's great return policy, I returned it and ordered an "Avertv Hybrid Volar Max Tv Tuner Kit for Windows MTVHVMXSK" as a replacement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly with minimal setup, December 9, 2010
Sam (Falls Church, VA) - See all my reviews
Many competing products also work as analog tuners - perhaps so you can record analog cable signals on digital. I however bought this so that we could bypass cable TV entirely and since there are no longer analog OTA signals in the US, there was no reason to pay extra for a tuner with analog functionality as well as digital.

Installation? This was the first USB product I have ever tried that Windows (Windows 7 64-bit) didn't recognize and find drivers for. Instead I had to use the CD that came in the package. I didn't bother with the crapware on the CD. I just use Windows Media Center.

Result: it works great. Since all it's doing is getting MPEG-2 files encoded by a broadcaster from radio waves into your computer's hard drive, it'll either work or not. There aren't really any issues of quality to discuss. So far, it's been fine, and a small computer with Windows Media Center has replaced our Tivo HD box in the sitting room. The only thing the Tivo has that this doesn't match is a second tuner; I suppose I could just buy another of these and plug it into another USB port, but so far I haven't felt the need to try that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product!, July 23, 2013
Software installed smoothly but unit would not tune OTA channels. After consulting the downloadable User Manual I installed Microsoft.net framework 4 along with multiple large updates. That solved the problem and over 25 channels can be tuned in my area using an indoor antenna. I do not know why the required Windows 7 elements were not received through Automatic Updates.

4.0 out of 5 stars UB435Q tested on a dual boot Windows 8.1 / Linux Mint machine, January 31, 2014
The KWorld was bought as a gift for someone not technical so I wanted to test it so I knew what would be needed to help get it running. The KWorld USB ATSC TV Stick UB435Q was installed on a dual boot Windows 8.1 / Linux Mint machine.

On Windows 8.1 with media center: Installed the Windows drivers from the included CD. The included mini-antenna was set aside. It’d probably work great in an area like LA or NYC but not in the great midwest. So it got hooked to an amplified RCA antenna. Plugged the KWorld into its USB extension and that into a USB port. Launched Windows Media Center and WMC found the stick. I proceeded to scan for channels and it picked up FOX, CBS, NBC, ABC, WB w good signal strength, PBS not so much but it seemed to work ok. No flaws using Windows Media Center that I could see.

I decided to try the included ARCSoft TotalMedia software. Installed TotalMedia from the CD. Rebooted. Launched TotalMedia. In setup I set a storage device and path, in the 1st try a USB PNY Flashdrive. TotalMedia lets you set the quality of the recording, 5 levels. To start I chose HD. Set Closed Captioning ON. Scan channels, this seemed to go faster than my TV. It found the same channels as WMC. Decided to try a recording so clicked EPG – which is the ATSC Electronic Program Guide. It’s included in the over the air broadcasts but it is only good for 24 hours or so. None-the-less it seems to get the job done. I Double clicked on a channel in EPG, clicked on a program then set it to record. Minimized TotalMedia and put the machine to sleep. Sleep lasted about 3 minutes before it woke up for no good reason. So after some snooping on the internet I discovered that one must go into the device manager, select the mouse, select power management and turn off ‘Allow this device to turn on computer’. Windows 8.1 sleep works now.

(A day later). Time to try the playback. Turned on closed captioning in playback (as well as in record yesterday). It didn’t work (it works in WMC). The HD setting didn’t do so well producing a jerky picture. Much more time elapsed. Tried this again with a fast internal hard drive. Same jerky picture no CC. So reduced the quality to Standard and a new test is underway. This seems like a nice feature which would allow the stick to work on computers with less capability because you can adjust the quality to the capabilities of your computer.

The attempt to get it running in Linux Mint 16 didn’t work out. There is a driver for V1 of UB435-Q but the current version is V3. As the internal parts are somewhat different it won’t even try to work.

In conclusion for the price this is a good product for Windows 8.1. Closed captioning did work in WMC so the stick works correctly. I like the TotalMedia software but the kit loses a star due to closed captioning not working in TotalMedia and no support for the stick under Linux Mint.

2.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for!, September 24, 2011
Like some of the other reviews of this item say, just spend the little bit of extra money and get a better USB tuner!
1) When I plugged it into my computer windows 7 couldn't find a driver for it!! So I had to install it from the CD
2) Once I finally got the driver installed it would only work with the software that came with it, not on windows media center.
3) Then, after 3 days it stopped working completely! Thankfully Amazon has a good return policy so I returned it without a problem. I purchased an Avertv Hybrid Volar Max TV Tuner Kit for Windows MTVHVMXSK and it works AWESOME!!

DON't waste your time with this product, you get what you pay for.

4.0 out of 5 stars pay attention, not more $$, July 3, 2013
This is a simple product, to convert signal to a usable form by your PC. As an antenna it is a joke, so if you use the included antenna beware, you will not get what you hope for. However, it you are using a antenna with success now, adding this will easily have you in Windows media center using your PC in new ways. I installed just the new drivers from the company web site for Windows 7 64 bit. Then, with antenna connected, with a known good signal, I ran setup in Windows Media Center. All channels are seen/recieved the same as when the antenna is connected directly to the TV. 1080p signals process flawlessly, no stuttering or fade in/out, so not only does it convert antenna signal properly but can easily handle the required bandwidth through the USB 2.0 connection. So, if you already have your own antenna, and are looking for a simple adapter to setup and use for your PC this is it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Returned as this no longer works with linux kernel, June 3, 2014
This device is now a UB435-Q v3 chip, which is totally different than a v2. I does not work in linux, nor are they plans to make it work. Granted, the discription does not say it does. Several reviews did however, so that is why I gave it a shot. It was promptly returned as its useless to me in windows. I ended up picking up a SiliconDust HDHomeRun DUAL Tuner TV Box instead. I picked it up refirb'd to save a few dollars. It even states it works with linux.