4.0 out of 5 stars It's for FUN, not for serious use.
I have a 45lb, 1-year-old Australian Shepherd and I wanted to see if she would be interested in agility before I invested more time and money into it, so this set seemed perfect. I also have a 65lb lab mix who likes to join in the fun.

THE PROS:

Published on March 1, 2007 by K.A.V.E.S.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dog Agility Starter Set is a waste of money
Published on January 30, 2007 by Dog Lover

4.0 out of 5 stars It's for FUN, not for serious use., March 1, 2007
This review is from: Kyjen DG40100 Dog Agility Starter Kit with Dog Tunnel Weave Pole High Jump Obstacles, Large, Red (Misc.)

THE PROS:

It is compact and stores easily when not in use, unlike professional agility equipment. It is simple to set up and easy to use. It's fun - my dog took to it right away and we have a great time training and running around with it. It lets us practice some basic agility commands and showed me that my dog LOVES the idea of agility. Oh, and even my 65lb lab likes to take a run through the tunnel once in awhile.

THE CONS:

Well, you get what you pay for, right? One run through the tunnel, and there are little holes from my dogs nails everywhere on it (she's 45lbs remember). The tunnel is quite short (compared to professional ones)and a very thin material, but other than the cosmetic damage from her nails, I think it will still hold up for use. None of the materials are very sturdy or strong, but I haven't had any huge fall-throughs yet in the 5-6 times we've used it. The weave poles and the tunnel are the only two things I really like to use...sure, maybe if I had kids they could use the ribbons and such, but they aren't of much use to me.

OVERALL: I'm happy with the purchase! I hoped it would be a little sturdier and challenging, but at least now I know that agility is something my dog and I can have fun doing seriously, so now we can look into purchasing/building some more intense obstacles and joining a club. If you're looking to have some fun with your dog and not being too serious, then this is perfect! If you are looking to get this because you just bought a Border Collie and you want he/she to be an agility star, then I would recommend skipping this and heading straight to a training ring.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dog Agility Starter Set is a waste of money, January 30, 2007
I thought that purchasing this kit would be an inexpensive way to start training my dogs in agility. However the tunnel is too short and lightweight, the jump is a joke for anything bigger than a maltese, and the weavepoles are nothing special. The rest is silly stuff, like red nylon to creat a "pause box" and red, white and blue ribbons to let kids run their own "Agility Show."n So I really don't use the kit at all.

There is no cheap way to start training your pet for agility. But you can save money by buying PVC piping to build a variety of jumps, by sawing off the bottom of an old plastic trashcan to create a short, but sturdy tunnel, and by using a flat wooden bench to create a table or "pause box." The best way to start agility is to join a training club or class led by a knowledgeable instructor who has their own high quality equipment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Starting Place for Beginners, September 19, 2006
I have done a lot of dog training but I have never trained in agility before and was looking to teach my dogs something new. I have enjoyed using the tunnel inside during the heat of the summer to train my dogs and give them an activity to do. Once they got the idea, they really enjoyed it. I am eager to try the other equipment outside now that the temperature has cooled. This product could have gotten a higher rating but the instruction manual was terrible. The teaching methods in the training manual go against a dog's natural instinct. I would recommend buying a book or researching the proper way to train for agility than to rely on the instruction manual.

5.0 out of 5 stars great value for this product, February 12, 2007
I bought this product to increase my 9 year old son's playtime with our 1 year mini schnauzer. They both love it. It is simple enough for him to setup and run her through it and they both enjoy it tremendously. It has strengthened their bond and increased her activity level. I highly recommend this product particularly for beginners and mature children looking to train and have fun with their pets.

3.0 out of 5 stars cheap, January 2, 2009
My dog has been doing agility for over a year and we love it!!! Got the starter kit as a gift from a well wisher and at first we were excited. Once we opened it the disappointment set in. This kit was poorly constructed and made very cheaply. My dog ate the weave pole (she has never enjoyed the weaves) and the knocked the hurdle down every time (the wind would knock it down) and the tunnel is not very long. I have since built my own agility course with PVC pipe for the hurdle and weave poles and a tunnel can be made from a heating duct. Directions can be found online.

If you have money to burn and a small dog that you want to introduce agility to this may be for you. If you have experience in agility or a bigger dog you may want to invest in more heavy duty equipment.

2.0 out of 5 stars Tunnel not well made., March 14, 2007
J. Brozovsky (Emigrant, MT United States) - See all my reviews
When I took the tunnel out of the box I could see there were tears in the seams. My dogs were very happy to use the tunnel, but within the first two days of use, there was a tear in the fabric from the dogs running through. The material used is not strong rip-stop fabric, but just light-weight nylon. Nevertheless, since my budget won't accomodate the price of a well-made tunnel right now, I exchanged this kit for another. You get what you pay for.

It's winter here and the ground is frozen, so I did not try the other items.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginners, February 8, 2007
Linda (Florida, USA) - See all my reviews
This is great product if you are just thinking about dog agility. My dogs get very excited to do it. There's nothing fancy, but it fits in a small area and provides everthing I needed to start training my dogs and it was definitely inexpensive.

5.0 out of 5 stars exactly as described, September 27, 2007
This is a great agility starter kit. I felt a stop watch and ribbons were not needed, but nonetheless, this kit is just that- a starter kit. Since then, I have purchased a tire jump and ramp. This kit really did get me started! Unlike other agility kits, the weave poles and high jump use plastic stakes that go in the ground rather than a free-standing set-up. It works well, but if you are trying to teach your dog weaves poles indoors, it does not work like some of the others that I've seen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun With Dog Agility Set, August 4, 2007
I really liked the dog agility starter kit.I have a coonhound.He's got really good at agility.The posts to ancore the jumps and weave poles will sometimes break easily.Also the poles kinda move move arounds alot.For me it's better than no agility course in my back yard.My neibors also enjoy letting their dogs go around the course.My neibors have a boxer and a besenji/sheperd mix.The tunnel and stopwatch are very sturdy compared to to the rest of the corse.Also in the real agility games, it isn't a pause BOX, its a pause TABLE.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good starter kit for any size dog, January 9, 2007
I sent this as a Christmas present to my brother & sister-in-law. They have a young Golder Retriever that has just started agility -- mostly to get him familiar with training & to burn off some energy. He is approx 80 lbs & can use most of the equipment enclosed -- the spacing on the weave poles is a bit too tight for him. They were really happy with it and my young nieces are also having a blast with the stopwatch, ribbons & tunnel!