4.0 out of 5 stars Affordable Dog Puzzle!!!
Published on November 8, 2010 by Laura C. Elliott

1.0 out of 5 stars Paw Hide Treat Toy is Dangerous
Published 21 months ago by TeresaMP23

4.0 out of 5 stars Affordable Dog Puzzle!!!, November 8, 2010
Laura C. Elliott (Eagle River, Alaska) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kyjen DG40112 Paw Hide Treat Toy Dog Toys Scent Puzzle Training Toy, Large, Red (Misc.)
I bought this puzzle to help entertain my smart and curious and food driven dogs. My "boys" love it! We play it every single day. Often to work on obedience (sit, get it, down, get it!) and just for fun administration of treats and even dinner. My golden retriever loves it, but is a chewer, so he must be supervised with it. He pulled the cups out and thought that in itself was the reward... LOL but once I simply pointed to the treat hidden in the pawprint dish, he figured it out and was a happy camper. I also bought the spinner, which is actually my favorite of the two styles. I can get my golden's entire kibble allotment for one meal (we feed twice a day) inside it, so it slows down his feeding (so he doesn't gulp it down and get bloat). I know that my dogs love it by the perked ears and bouncing when they see me pick one of the toys up. They also sit and wait to be "released" to start their game. Great fun! The plastic is nice too since you can disinfect it easily or wash it in the sink without worrying about warping, splitting, or cracking wood like on the expensive models of similar toys. Plus, the price has been great and I found it at my local canine speciality store too!

1.0 out of 5 stars Paw Hide Treat Toy is Dangerous, March 6, 2013
We have so many stuffed toys from Kyjen and love them all so we decided to purchase some of the puzzle toys. We selected the Paw Hide Treat Toy and Puzzle Kibble Drop hoping to give our dogs a new challenge. We opened the box of the Paw Hide, placed some treats in two of the compartments and put it on the ground. Shortly after, I noticed a bit of red on the yellow pieces. The small slits in the yellow pieces (at the bottom of the paw image) were so sharp that they cut my dog's tongue straight down the middle. Now he has a serpent's tongue for the rest of his life. Obviously this toy is meant for the dog to bite at; I didn't even think to check out the plastic and I really wish I had. It is as though a machine punched the plastic and then it was left as is. It isn't visibly sharp but once you run your finger over it you can't deny that it is dangerous. We've lost a bit of faith in Kyjen as a result of this product. On the plus side, Amazon was very good about refunding our purchase even though we couldn't return the toy because it had been used.

We also have the Puzzle Kibble Drop. It is great-- no sharp, dangerous plastic on it and it keeps the dogs occupied. They enjoy trying to open the doors to get to the treat.

5.0 out of 5 stars good even for dogs that might not be too bright, May 27, 2011
Amy (Minnesota) - See all my reviews
i have to admit - i was worried this was a big mistake when i first gave this toy to Bacon. he was confused. he first tried barking maniacally to get the treats to appear. he then tried digging into the carpet next to the toy. i wondered if i'd be able to send the toy back, as there was no way i would pull this toy out again if all it did is prove that my dog is not smart and barks too much. luckily, within 15 minutes, he successfully unearthed a treat. it's not an easy toy for him - but it's amazing to me that he has learned how to do it. he's learned a bit of patience and problem solving. two things i doubted he'd ever learn.

the yellow plastic parts - we've lost one. i'm really not sure what Bacon did with it. i just use that open cubby as the 'easy hole' for him to find a treat in. Bacon is a schnorkitzu (schnauzer yorkie shihtzu). i imagine larger dogs would chew the yellow parts up pretty quickly.

i'm looking forward to getting another puzzle toy in the future. i recommend this toy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very cool, October 18, 2011
Lynn Katz (SOUTH RIVER, NJ, US) - See all my reviews
Length:: 0:34 Mins

My dog can get bored easily and when he's bored he's destructive and annoying. So I try to find anything I can to keep his mind busy and hopefully wear him out. He figured this toy out fast and gets his food in about 2 minutes, but he does really love it and he often settles down after playing with it. My other dog (the chi x you see in the picture) has absolutely no interest in working for his food. So I guess it's not for all dogs, but if your dog is busy, this is a good way to occupy him for awhile.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hard Plastic, December 30, 2010
Another great idea for a dog toy, but my medium-sized dog cracked the yellow covers in less than 5 min. The plastic shattered. She will never see those little yellow covers again. I might find a way to cover the food wells with something else, now that I'm stuck with this toy. My dog is not a chewer, and this toy did not stand up.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good idea however...., April 30, 2011
This toy is not that great for my pug. He loves finding stuff in the little cups, however the yellow covers are impossible for him to get off. His mouth won't fit around them so he can't pick them up with his teeth, when he uses his nose to try to get at them the cups just fall back into place and if he uses his paws (that's when he's really frustrated) he winds up just flipping the whole thing over. I have turned the cups upside down so that he can grab at the edges and that works for him. However, it's not really a puzzle because he even figured out that if the cup is sticking up, something is in there. I even have a hard time getting some of the cups out because of the way it is shaped. It's not a bad toy as a starter puzzle but if your dog has done puzzles before, this one won't keep him interested. And if you have a dog with no snout, it's not really worth it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Affordable, and not too challenging., February 28, 2011
Not a bad starter puzzle, especially for the price.

My Lab/Border Collie had it totally figured out within about 20 minutes, so it wasn't super challenging for her. She had more issues with the cups located in the "palm" section of the paw. It was hard for her to get her mouth on them, and almost impossible to "slide up."

The primary complaint I have with this toy are the yellow cups. They are flimsy and could be easily cracked into pieces with very minimal effort for a decent sized dog, or an aggressive chewer.

DEFINITELY do not leave your dog alone with the toy. (This should go without saying..but...)

Would I recommend the toy? Maybe. I think it would be ideal for medium sized dogs that aren't too smart for their own good. (If your dog can unscrew things, open doors, drawers, etc..then you may want to go for a more challenging toy. I wish I had of.)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but can be improved, November 28, 2012
It is a good concept, but my mid-size dog could not grab the yellow caps with his teeth. But it did keep him busy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just too smart, December 26, 2010
I purchased the Kyjen Dog Games Paw Hide Treat Toy. Labs are exceptionally smart and I try to give mine, Autumn, a variety of challenging toys. She loves her chew toys but she needs to be challanged. First of all she found her toy under the tree wrapped and without a treat in it. How did she do that? With encouragement we allowed her to open her toy. I took it away after she examined it. While she wasn't looking I put a few treats in a few of the compartments. It took her a few minutes to figure it out. Next time, no challange at all. That is why I only gave it 4 stars. It was too easy, but I think to some dogs it will be great, others fustrating.Kyjen Dog Games Paw Hide Treat Toy

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Toy!!!, March 18, 2011
D. Husar (Mesa, Arizona) - See all my reviews
My dog loves this game. As soon as he sees it, he runs over and waits for his command. Even though there are 7 areas to hide treats, I usually only do 4 or 5. When I give him the commad "Find the treats" he sniffs by each cover until he finds the one with the treat. Then he gets his jaws around the cover and tries to pull it off, sometimes not on the first attempt. He goes around until he has pulled off each cover that holds a treat. The ones that are empty, he does not bother to remove the cover. Really AMAZING Toy!!!!

I would recommend keeping the toy hidden until it is time to play, especially if your dog is a chewer. The covers are small and can be chewed up quickly.

Kyjen DG40112 Paw Hide Treat Toy Dog Toys Scent Puzzle Training Toy, Large, Red