4.0 out of 5 stars Dog is Crazy about this
Customer Video Review     Length:: 3:04 Mins
Published on October 28, 2009 by Amy D.

Published on October 11, 2012 by Brian A. Carroll

4.0 out of 5 stars Dog is Crazy about this, October 28, 2009
This review is from: Kyjen PP01276 Egg Babies Platypus Plush Dog Toys Squeak Toy Dog Puzzle, Large, Brown (Misc.)
Length:: 3:04 Mins

After seeing these "hide-a-squirrel" and egg babies toys for a while, I just couldn't picture my 40lb boxer mix puppy (13 months) doing anything but tearing it up and swallowing the eggs. But she doesn't. She gets the eggs out, sets them aside, and looks for more. Once the eggs are out, there's really no stuffing to worry about (except the head, but she's not interested in that part). She did get a LITTLE batting out of the cavity where the eggs go - but the seam stayed in tact. If you're having a hard time picturing what these are all about, see the video!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great big dog toy too!, October 30, 2008
So, I was a little skeptical about buying this, since my dog is a massive german shepherd that tends to make it her mission to remove all the inside stuffing of toys (and geniunely enjoys it.), but I bought it anyway just to see. Since I have given it to her, she has barely put it down. She LOVES this toy, and somehow, most of its stuffing has stayed inside! I think the part that she likes most about the toy is the removable squeakers that come inside. She can sit there squeaking for-e-ver, until she gets them out. I'm so glad I bought this for her, and will probably buy more of the egg-baby types.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crack for dogs, August 17, 2008
Your dog will love this. You should follow the instructions and show him how to get the squeaky eggs out without destroying it, and then it will last quite a while, even with a heavy chewer like ours. If your dog is one of those ones that instantly tries to destroy anything soft, this won't hold up, but if he's just a player, this will last a while.

3.0 out of 5 stars hole is too small for eggs and 54lb husky swallowed one whole! $600 surgery!, October 11, 2012
The elastic hole for the eggs to go in is too tight. Its a struggle for me to get them out let alone my husky. I pulled one half way out so he could get it the rest of the way and he did but then ignored the animal and just played with the egg. he had it out less than 2 minutes when he made a choking sound and the egg was gone! HE SWALLOWED THE EGG WHOLE!!!! I wouldn't have thought this possible! The eggs themselves are about 2.75" x 3" with a squeaker inside and he swallowed it whole! This isn't a bash on the product but just a warning to those with larger dogs, these can be swallowed whole! My dog only weighs 54lbs so he isn't huge by any means but he was able to suck that egg down in no time, I dropped him at the vet to get the egg removed and the only way to get something that large out is surgery, its too large for them to pass it or pull out through the throat. This $10 toy rapidly turned into a $610 toy after I pay for this surgery tomorrow not to mention the stress put on my poor little buddy. This toy is getting its 3* out of 5* because of the difficulty in removing the eggs not because my dog is a dumbass who swallows giant squeaky eggs. Great for small - medium small dogs, large breed owners beware!

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute concept, May 9, 2009
The concept of this toy is cute, but I think it works better with dogs that are "critical thinkers" versus "literal thinkers." My dogs love plush toys and they both love playing with the eggs, but neither of them ever caught on to the hide and seek aspect of egg finding. One of them totally lost interest once the eggs were hidden inside. I guess with her it was out of sight out of mind. She never made an effort to look for the eggs even when she saw me put them inside. The other dog took a more literal approach. She never bothered to look for the pouch opening, she instead made her own opening by chewing straight through the dinosaur's back. She did successfully release the eggs, however the toy was ruined for any future play. I guess it could serve as an IQ test of sorts which my dogs clearly failed. Still, the toy could be fun for a dog who cares to figure it out. At the very least, they still enjoy the eggs. I would say, if you think your dog is a critical thinker or just want to find out, buy this toy; otherwise go for the egg refills.

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY THIS!, May 26, 2012
My dog swallowed the eggs and they got stuck in his stomach. He had to have surgery as a result. I am thankful he's alive and want to share this info with others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Huge hit with my puppy: hours of fun & very durable *Warning Added*, March 5, 2012
JackieVT (Vermont United States) - See all my reviews
My 25 week old, 25 lb puppy likes every new toy, but this one has been her favorite for two weeks. It took her about a week to discover the egg babies in the pouch, but once found, she is a focused demon when working to get them out. Though it takes her way less than a minute to pull them out now, she then continues to play with the soft eggs, batting them around, making them squeak, etc. I think the fact that there are 3 increases the fun - she can't figure out which to grab and run with next.

I'm impressed that the platypus pouch in its stomach, into which the eggs are stuffed, has stayed so tight. I sometimes thinks it takes me longer to stuff them back in than it takes her to yank them out. She and her neighbor puppy have also played "catch me if you can" with the empty platypus quite a few times and so far (knock on wood) no real damage. The toy came with 2 extra eggs and so far, I haven't needed to use them because two of the three original eggs still squeak!

The size of the soft balls (a.k.a. eggs) are about tennis ball size, so fine for her at this age & size, but I would not recommend this toy for a larger dog.

*** UPDATE ***

I still love this toy & it continues to be my (now 16 month old) dog's favorite. I have bought a couple of replacements & several packs of replacement "eggs". But perhaps the toy should also come with a warning? It appears that this toy has taught my dog to search for/extract the squeakers out of EVERY squeaking toy! No matter the toy, she now locates the squeaking units & tears/digs until she can pull 'em out. Basically, this falls into the "be careful what you ask your dod to learn" ... because she will!!!! (LOL)

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome little toy, March 29, 2012
Length:: 0:36 Mins

My dog had the platypus for a while, but after a long time, it had to become retired. Here's a video of my dog playing with his new turtle toy. He learned how to quickly remove the eggs from inside the turtle. It's his favorite toy. Such a great buy!

3.0 out of 5 stars A Nice Toy, but Doesn't Work as a "Game", November 25, 2012
Unfortunately, while this is a cute and durable dog toy, the "game" just doesn't work. My dog has the hide-a-squirrel game sold here (similar concept) and loves it, but the platypus doesn't really seem constructed well for that purpose and I'm having a hard time understanding why it's got these great reviews.

First of all, you have to set aside the fact that the eggs come in and out of the platypus's, um, lady parts. The way the gap is shaped and its placement make the whole egg thing seem like it's some kind of misguided attempt to teach dogs about biology. But while that's funny and awkward, the real problem is that the opening really isn't wide enough to accommodate the egg, nor does the fabric stretch, so that's it's really hard for me to get e eggs in and out, let alone my dog. The egg closest to the opening does not protrude at all even when the platypus is stuffed full of eggs, so my dog can't reach the eggs to get them out, although she loves the eggs and is fully aware that they can be removed. She loves to remove the eggs but I have to start them myself and leave about 30% sticking out before she can get them. There's just no way she can reach otherwise. She is 55 lbs and very playful.

I'm giving this toy three stars because it is a good quality toy and my dog loves playing with the platypus and the eggs individually (they make great inside fetch balls), just not as the game it was intended to be. A few of the squeakers in the eggs have broken pretty quickly, but they give you so many that I really can't complain too much.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Good, September 28, 2010
My Chihuahua loves the Hide-A-Bee and Hide-A-Squirrel, but she just ignores this toy. I showed her how to get the eggs out several times, but the opening was just too tight for her to get anything out. I tried just putting one egg in at a time, but it was still too difficult. I gave the toy to someone with a large dog, but that dog wasn't interested either. A friend bought the same toy for her Havanese, but that dog couldn't get the eggs out either. Three different dogs and none of them played with the toy.