4.0 out of 5 stars Dog is Crazy about this
Customer Video Review     Length:: 3:04 Mins
Published on October 28, 2009 by Amy D.

3.0 out of 5 stars It was fun while it lasted
My dog loved it for quite a while, but you must ensure you supervise them all the time while playing. I left mine with this unattended and after he pulled out the 3 eggs, he kept going, pulling apart the entire thing
Published 14 months ago by On the trees

4.0 out of 5 stars Dog is Crazy about this, October 28, 2009
This review is from: Kyjen PP01276 Egg Babies Platypus Plush Dog Toys Squeak Toy Dog Puzzle, Large, Brown (Misc.)
Length:: 3:04 Mins

After seeing these "hide-a-squirrel" and egg babies toys for a while, I just couldn't picture my 40lb boxer mix puppy (13 months) doing anything but tearing it up and swallowing the eggs. But she doesn't. She gets the eggs out, sets them aside, and looks for more. Once the eggs are out, there's really no stuffing to worry about (except the head, but she's not interested in that part). She did get a LITTLE batting out of the cavity where the eggs go - but the seam stayed in tact. If you're having a hard time picturing what these are all about, see the video!

5.0 out of 5 stars Crack for dogs, August 17, 2008
Your dog will love this. You should follow the instructions and show him how to get the squeaky eggs out without destroying it, and then it will last quite a while, even with a heavy chewer like ours. If your dog is one of those ones that instantly tries to destroy anything soft, this won't hold up, but if he's just a player, this will last a while.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great big dog toy too!, October 30, 2008
So, I was a little skeptical about buying this, since my dog is a massive german shepherd that tends to make it her mission to remove all the inside stuffing of toys (and geniunely enjoys it.), but I bought it anyway just to see. Since I have given it to her, she has barely put it down. She LOVES this toy, and somehow, most of its stuffing has stayed inside! I think the part that she likes most about the toy is the removable squeakers that come inside. She can sit there squeaking for-e-ver, until she gets them out. I'm so glad I bought this for her, and will probably buy more of the egg-baby types.

5.0 out of 5 stars Huge hit with my puppy: hours of fun & very durable *Warning Added*, March 5, 2012
JackieVT (Vermont United States) - See all my reviews
My 25 week old, 25 lb puppy likes every new toy, but this one has been her favorite for two weeks. It took her about a week to discover the egg babies in the pouch, but once found, she is a focused demon when working to get them out. Though it takes her way less than a minute to pull them out now, she then continues to play with the soft eggs, batting them around, making them squeak, etc. I think the fact that there are 3 increases the fun - she can't figure out which to grab and run with next.

I'm impressed that the platypus pouch in its stomach, into which the eggs are stuffed, has stayed so tight. I sometimes thinks it takes me longer to stuff them back in than it takes her to yank them out. She and her neighbor puppy have also played "catch me if you can" with the empty platypus quite a few times and so far (knock on wood) no real damage. The toy came with 2 extra eggs and so far, I haven't needed to use them because two of the three original eggs still squeak!

The size of the soft balls (a.k.a. eggs) are about tennis ball size, so fine for her at this age & size, but I would not recommend this toy for a larger dog.

*** UPDATE ***

I still love this toy & it continues to be my (now 16 month old) dog's favorite. I have bought a couple of replacements & several packs of replacement "eggs". But perhaps the toy should also come with a warning? It appears that this toy has taught my dog to search for/extract the squeakers out of EVERY squeaking toy! No matter the toy, she now locates the squeaking units & tears/digs until she can pull 'em out. Basically, this falls into the "be careful what you ask your dod to learn" ... because she will!!!! (LOL)

3.0 out of 5 stars It was fun while it lasted, January 23, 2013
On the trees "jqv" (Costa Rica, Central America) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Cool concept, but for dogs that like to "kill" their toys, they'll kill this one too, January 9, 2013
I have a 10 pound Havanese that loves his stuffed, squeaky toys - more so than any other more durable toys. Too bad he systematically kills each stuffed toy by ripping holes in them and pulling out all the stuffing and squeaker. It gets so bad I put my house on a stuffed toy ban.

Then, I found the Egg Babies and thought it was worth a try. My dog was smart and learned how to pull the eggs out within minutes. Then, each subsequent time I stuffed the eggs back in, he pulled them all out within a minute. It's a great concept, except kind of gross to stuff the slobbery eggs back into the toy.

Unfortunately, the novelty of the toy wears off after stuffing the slobbery eggs back in after the tenth time and as many minutes. I have purchased two Egg Babies, and both were almost completely destroyed within a week. It's a cool concept unless you have a dog that likes to kill his toys. The only difference is you get 6 individual stuffed toys with this purchase for your chewer to kill.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Nice Toy, but Doesn't Work as a "Game", November 25, 2012
Unfortunately, while this is a cute and durable dog toy, the "game" just doesn't work. My dog has the hide-a-squirrel game sold here (similar concept) and loves it, but the platypus doesn't really seem constructed well for that purpose and I'm having a hard time understanding why it's got these great reviews.

First of all, you have to set aside the fact that the eggs come in and out of the platypus's, um, lady parts. The way the gap is shaped and its placement make the whole egg thing seem like it's some kind of misguided attempt to teach dogs about biology. But while that's funny and awkward, the real problem is that the opening really isn't wide enough to accommodate the egg, nor does the fabric stretch, so that's it's really hard for me to get e eggs in and out, let alone my dog. The egg closest to the opening does not protrude at all even when the platypus is stuffed full of eggs, so my dog can't reach the eggs to get them out, although she loves the eggs and is fully aware that they can be removed. She loves to remove the eggs but I have to start them myself and leave about 30% sticking out before she can get them. There's just no way she can reach otherwise. She is 55 lbs and very playful.

I'm giving this toy three stars because it is a good quality toy and my dog loves playing with the platypus and the eggs individually (they make great inside fetch balls), just not as the game it was intended to be. A few of the squeakers in the eggs have broken pretty quickly, but they give you so many that I really can't complain too much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Dog Toy EVER!!!, October 13, 2012
Pickles "PiK" (Woodbury, CT United States) - See all my reviews
Muffin, our 1 year old border collie mix, has had her platypus for several months now. It is such an amazing toy! She loves trying to get all the eggs out of it and has yet to destroy any part (eggs or platypus). You've never seen a dog with more focused energy and determination. Muffin absolutely adores this toy! Every dog should have one!

2.0 out of 5 stars If your dog rips toys, just stick with Kong products., September 25, 2012
I thought this would be a good alternative to keep my 6 month old pup from ripping the stuffing out of his toys. He loves the squeaker egg things, but that didn't stop him from still ripping apart the platypus that laid them. It says the opening for the eggs is elastic, but that was very easily ripped apart. He can play with the corpse but trust me it can still be destroyed. And now it just looks like I've given my dog squeaky platypus testicles to play with. :\

2.0 out of 5 stars Platypus Needs Surgical Intervention, May 20, 2012
I have been buying a bunch of dog toys for my 4 month old cocker spaniel lately on Amazon. Some have turned out to be keepers and some have been put in a puppy toy box to be taken out when my pupster is older and maybe has forgotten he didn't really like the toy. Platypus is being placed in that box for future playtime when he is older.

The main reason my puppy didn't play with Platypus is that he couldn't get the eggs out of her stomach. Geesh, I even had a hard time getting them out when I was showing my pup how to do it. I had to cut open the opening to make it wider. The elastic opening didn't open wide enough even with the surgical intervention. It was still difficult to get the eggs out and I have opposable thumbs.

My puppy is used to playing with other toys where he can snout into the openings and get their treasures out to play with. The squirrels in the tree house and esp. the IQube are great for him. So he is "smart" enough to nose and chomp on the toys while they are inside the larger toy. I don't think it is the difficulty level since it takes him some time to get the balls out of the IQube but he loves that toy.

I thought he would really like the Platypus since it is brown like he is and when he was just a week old he looked like a platypus squirming about not able to walk. Guess he doesn't relate to toys with the emotional connection like I do - hmmmm.

I gave it 2 stars because he does like to carry around the eggs in his mouth when I get them out for him. He also likes me to throw them so he can retrieve them. But I wanted a toy he could play with by himself to teach him some self quieting skills so that defeated the purpose of the toy for me.

Btw, Platypus is soft and plushy as are the eggs. My pupster likes these kind of toys and surprisingly his little piranha teeth don't feel the need to rip it apart like he does with some of this other toys.

ARRAY(0x8d53ff90)