5.0 out of 5 stars My first grinder; Glad I went with this manual one!
Grinds well.
Because it's a manual burr grinder, you can easily set the size of your coffee grounds, from coarse to fine (though, I haven't tried grinding it to fine since I use coarse grounds for my French press). The grounded coarse coffee were fairly even, too.

Good design.
The hopper where you drop in the coffee beans nicely feeds the beans (using...
Published on September 28, 2010 by A. C. DIAZ

3.0 out of 5 stars Good grind but hard to hold
Published on April 11, 2011 by Adam Starr

5.0 out of 5 stars My first grinder; Glad I went with this manual one!, September 28, 2010
Grinds well.

Good design.
The hopper where you drop in the coffee beans nicely feeds the beans (using gravity) into the grinding mechanism and from there into the glass jar. The hopper (with the grinding mechanism) can then be washed separately and the glass jar comes with a convenient lid for storing.

Good torque.
The grinding handle is easy to turn, albeit the area where you hold down the grinder to keep it steady is a bit too large for my small hands. Still, it's not so tough to turn that you're using too much effort in the morning, especially when you're too sleepy! So, I wouldn't count manually grinding coffee as a workout :(

Easy to clean.
The grinder disassembles easily which means you can really clean all parts in a few minutes and have a "fresh" and oil-free one the next day. I use a plain toothbrush to get the burr grinder squeaky clean. I suggest patting it dry and then letting the ceramic burr grinder air dry.

Nice compact product.
Unlike some electric grinders, this can be easily stowed away and used anywhere (i.e., camping). It came with the hopper with the grinding mechanism, the glass jar with removable outer rubber base, a measuring spoon (which is small enough that it can be stored inside the glass jar) and a plastic lid that screws unto the glass jar for storing your coffee grinds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth operation, even grind, October 17, 2010
This review is from: Kyocera Ceramic Coffee Grinder (Kitchen)
I really like my new Kyocera hand grinder. I wanted to graduate up to a conical burr coffee grinder but was overwhelmed and confused by all of the mixed reviews for most of the electric models. They are also quite expensive, and since I am the only coffee drinker in the house, I couldn't justify spending upwards of $100-$150 dollars (minimum) for just 2 or 3 cups a day. This hand grinder produces a very consistant grind, won't clog like the electric types often do, and is quiet to use, unlike my electric blade grinder which sounds like a jet engine warming up. (That has since been retired to grinding only spices.) Adjusting the grind is easy but is also a little tricky at first and takes some trial and error to get the grind size you want, especially if it's somewhere between very fine (espresso), and coarse (french press). It took me 2 attempts to get it right for my Chemex drip brewer. I put about half a teaspoon of beans into the hopper for a practice run. I love the aroma of the beans as they are being ground. Clean up is easy as well, the grinder assembly unscrews from the jar to wash/rinse each half separately. I also use a small toothbrush to clean the burrs. Thanks to the previous reviewer for the suggestion, it works great! It is very satisfying to know that I am not using any electricity to make my pot of coffee, I heat my water on a gas stove. I highly reccommend this grinder for it's ease of use and consistancy of the final product. Keep in mind that it will take a few minutes and some elbow grease to achieve. For me, the outcome is worth the effort.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like life a hundred years ago!, October 9, 2011
Paul Theodoropoulos (Rohnert Park, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kyocera Ceramic Coffee Grinder (Kitchen)
For years and years and years, it was the basic Braun bZZZZZZZZZEEEEEE coffee grinder. But I had heard many times that burr grinders were the way to go. They created a uniform grind, while the bZZZZZZZZEEEEEEE grinders turn your coffee into chunks, grounds, and dust, or purely dust, depending on how long you run them.

I purchased an ultra-cheap burr grinder at Costco some months back. it was less than $40, I bought it on a whim. One of the worst purchases I've ever made. While it did tend to create a uniform grind...that grind got ALL OVER THE PLACE. The whole device, besides the burrs themselves (which were metal, only adding to the problem), was made of plastic. But not just any plastic, the special kind of plastic that holds a static electricity charge like something from a science project. I tried putting a bit of water at the bottom of the receiver cup. Nope. Just left a small clump of wet grounds at the bottom, and the rest continued to fly out all over the counter, my hands, the coffee maker, whatever. Got so desparate I bought a "ZeroStat" anti-static electricity gun on eBay - you squeeze the trigger and it sends out static neutralizing ions. Well, it does do that, but it's meant for neutralizing static on old vinyl LP's, not the megavolt charge that grinder created.

I couldn't take it any more. Wasting paper towels cleaning up the counter, plus it was every bit as noisy as the old bZZZZZZZZZEEEEEEEEE Braun. Again in desparation, I looked back here on trusty old Amazon.

And I found this little gem. The top bean cup is plastic - but not static generating plastic. The burr is made of ceramic. And while the receiver is made of glass (which can hold static charges), it doesn't seem to be an issue at all. You grind the beans, they fall into the receiver, they pour smoothly and completely out of the receiver into your coffee machine. Not a hint of static.

The grind is very uniform, it looks like the stuff that used to come in the old Folgers can as a kid - machine perfect.

Yeah. It's kind of a drag having to turn that crank for 90 seconds for my single cup of coffee in the morning. Some mornings, it feels like god is mocking me - you want that perfect cup of coffee? earn it.

Well, it is well earned. I love this device. It does *exactly* what it is supposed to do, it is sturdy, not unpleasant to the eye sitting on the counter, and it is not as enormously expensive as a truly good quality electric mill grinder.

Buy it. You'll build a little extra tone in your biceps. You'll have a great cup of coffee. You won't spend a fortune. What's not to like?

3.0 out of 5 stars Good grind but hard to hold, April 11, 2011
This review is from: Kyocera Ceramic Coffee Grinder (Kitchen)
I like the robust build and small size, but it's pretty difficult to hold still while you're grinding. Not impossible at all mind you, but a few small modifications could have made it MUCH easier to concentrate on just cranking the handle - so you didn't need to worry about holding the base so firmly to prevent spilling. I looked at a lot of grinder reviews and this one seemed to be the highest quality construction, but I'm definitely going to build my own stabilizing device for it. It's just a pity on this one point because otherwise it's awesome!

5.0 out of 5 stars How to adjust the grind & video review, September 9, 2013
Length:: 2:01 Mins

The Kyrocera and the Hario Skerton are reportedly the same grinder, just with different labels.

We've been using this hand grinder for about a year and love it more and more all the time. At first we found it somewhat annoying because it seemed to take forever to grind the morning coffee, but now we find that it's a great reminder to sloooow down a little. It's almost like a morning meditation. There aren't any real instructions that come with it, so it took me a frustrating half an hour to figure out how to set the grind size. I thought it might be nice to share what I learned to save others the annoyance. So I got out my video camera this morning and put together this product overview along with instructions on setting the grind size.

PS - It always makes my day to know that people find these reviews helpful. If you'd also like to ask a question or leave a comment I usually respond the same day, so if you have a question or comment (even if it's just to say, Hi!") feel free to post it below.

Thanks,
Claire

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little mill, September 27, 2011
Loretta Foster (Willow Springs, MO, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kyocera Ceramic Coffee Grinder (Kitchen)
I really like this little coffee mill. It's easy to use, and seems quite sturdy. I discovered that the lid and the mill itself fits a regular-mouth mason jar. So, if the original collection container should be broken, you can still use the mill.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Grinder overall., January 29, 2011
This review is from: Kyocera Ceramic Coffee Grinder (Kitchen)
I've had this grinder for a few weeks now. It replaced my antique grinder. I love the ceramic burrs, the crank is easy to use(I have arthritis in my hands), and the glass storage jar is perfect.

My only con is how the grinder is adjusted. You have to take off the handle, raise the lock key, and then adjust the grinder, and put everything back together. I wish they had gone with the "old style, of using two bolts to lock in the adjustment setting. The current design can be a real pain if you are trying to make adjustments to your grind.

That said, I do love the ease of taking it apart for cleaning. I love the build quality, and would buy it again, and recommend this to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars really glad I got this!, November 5, 2010
This review is from: Kyocera Ceramic Coffee Grinder (Kitchen)
After our plug-in coffee grinder died and I found it impossible to open (to attempt repair) I started feeling guilty about the environmental impact of such throwaway items- the factory manufacturing them, the fuel used to ship them, the difficulty of dismantling appliances into different materials for recycling. I wanted to get an alternative with a longer life expectancy, and figured it would also be greener to get one that uses no electricity. This seems very sturdy, exactly what I wanted! It could be improved by being larger- to grind faster and sit on the counter more stably. But maybe other people prefer it being small, as you can carry it around, maybe grind while you watch tv. A lid for the hopper would also be nice. The biggest problem is the way it lurches when it hits a hard bean or a space between beans, and suddenly the force I'm applying to the handle is either too much or too little. The beans slosh out of the hopper when I lurch, is my point. I guess my fantasy would be for this grinder to come with a frame to bolt it to the counter, hah! It can grind the beans as fine as flour- way better than the blade style grinders. It takes a crazy amount of time though. (If you have tendonitis or arthritis etc, don't even think of grinding by hand!) This is bearable- it gives me a simple task to get my brain going when I'm groggy in the morning, and I think we appreciate our coffee more because of the ritual. I find I finish about the time the water is boiled. Only time will tell if this thing really is as durable as it looks. I'm fairly certain the quality is equal to that of pricier models & the expensive ones are simply prettier.

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall pretty good..., January 27, 2011
This review is from: Kyocera Ceramic Coffee Grinder (Kitchen)
Seems pretty solid. A few notes you will want to know before you buy though.

1) There are no markings on the adjuster wheel to show fine, medium, coarse, etc for the grind. You have to use trial and error and know what the grind you want is supposed to look like.
2) You have to turn that handle a lot even for coarse French Press grind. This is not a quick-use product.
3) The glass grind receptacle holds approx 12 tbsp of coarse grinds. That's two days worth for me as I have a 16 oz french press and use about 6 tbsp per pot.
4) It does grind smoothly and consistently.
5) Less expensive than and takes up less room than an electric burr grinder.

3.0 out of 5 stars Things you should know before purchacing, January 10, 2012
This review is from: Kyocera Ceramic Coffee Grinder (Kitchen)
I wish i could give this 3.5 stars because it is slightly better than average, but there are some things about this grinder that I know will annoy some people.

1) On fine you get a very nice, consistent grind. The grind on the course setting is less consistent due to a bit of wobble in the mechanism that occurs when you loosen things up. Still makes an excellent cup of coffee and is still a good deal more consistent than a spinning blade type grinder. I usually use a Yama Syphon or an Aeropress to make my coffee so the finer grind suits my needs perfectly. The coarser grind, despite a bit of inconsistency, still makes a good cup of french press, however.

2) It's not fast. It takes me about as long to grind an individual serving of coffee as it does for my electric kettle to heat the water to the proper temperature. If this is going to piss you off, buy an electric grinder. Personally, I'd rather put a little more effort into grinding my coffee than ever be jarred awake by obnoxiously loud electric grinders ever again. I want to note here that since i received the grinder I've been working through a batch of Guatemala Maragogype beans (called "elephant beans" for their size), which are somewhat humongous as far as coffee beans go. This is probably increasing the time it takes me to grind a batch. If i remember, I'll report back on how this works with average sized beans. Bonus: this grinder doesn't stall out or jam up with the Maragogype. Many burr grinders will.

3) If you have tiny hands, you might want to consider something else. If you have arthritis, you would have to be a moron to buy any manual grinder. I have average size hands and can support the base of the grinder well. The rubber sleeve to prevent table scratches also helps it not slip around on your kitchen counter.

Those are the only issues I can foresee people having. Overall, I'm happy with my purchase. This grinder is quiet, performs well and suits my needs as someone who is generally just making a cup or two of coffee for himself.

Kyocera Ceramic Coffee Grinder