Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Mudcrutch Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

Color: Red|Style Name: Vertical Peeler|Change

on December 1, 2008
We've had one of these peelers for over a year, and it's the best peeler we've ever owned.

EXCEPT...

The two little black plastic pins that hold the blade into the handle are the Achilles heel of this product. One is smaller than the other and it recently broke. I've heard this same problem from other owners of this product.

I'm waiting for a response from Kyocera as to whether this is covered under their 5 year warranty. But frankly, something like this shouldn't be happening, and it's a serious design flaw on an otherwise outstanding product.

===

Update to the previous review. I finally (things were kind of busy for them the Monday after Thanksgiving!) got a call back from Kyocera, they took my name and address, and immediately sent me a replacement for the broken part. The replacement arrived today, UPS 2 day delivery! I was very impressed with the speed and responsiveness of their customer service. It definitely makes a difference in whether I deal with a company in the future.

Based on this, I'd like to change my rating from 2 stars to 5 stars, but it doesn't seem to want to let me do that.
66 comments|138 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 15, 2006
You know the old rusty potato peeler you have in the kitchen junk drawer? You dont have to lie, we all know it's there. Getting rustier, duller, getting caught in the shish kebab skewers you use twice a year.

I bet you also have some other type of peeler, causing its own junk drawer drama. Its blade just as rusted, just as warped and damaged.

But you need at least two types of peelers, right? Even Alton Brown says you should have one straight peeler and one horizontal peeler, since they do different things in the kitchen.

What if someone invented a peeler that could change from a straight peeler to a horizontal peeler, and had a setting in between the two to give you a diagnol peeling edge, AND made the blade ceramic which means no more rusting up, no more running metal over your tubers causing them to brown early and look generally ugly? What if it could be used with your left or right hand equally as well?

Would you buy it?

I would. And, I did.

I've also bought one for everyone in my family who cooks, because it's just that awesome of a tool.

So seriously, throw out the old metal junky peelers your mom gave you when you moved out of the house, and get this peeler. The construction is solid. The dial which changes the blade position is very sturdy, with very definite notches at each blade position.

Also, it looks really cool.
11 comment|55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 25, 2008
Recently ordered this, hoping its blades wouldn't dull over time, like typical metal peelers ... this peeler has a single ceramic blade, which is quite sharp and peels thin sections.

But, the single blade means you can only use in one direction - away from you, if you're right-handed and toward you, if left-handed.

I hadn't really analyzed my veggie peeling directions before but have discovered, depending on the vegetable, some I peel away and some toward.

I briefly thought the blade could be removed and flipped. It can be removed. But it can not be flipped (pegs on the blade and holes in the handle are different-sized).

Kinda disappointed that the blade doesn't flip or it's not a double-blade or they don't offer a left-hand version.

If you peel all your veggies in one direction (the "correct" direction, for your handedness), then this seems like it's a decent peeler.
44 comments|30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 30, 2007
I use this peeler every single day to peel fresh fruit for my smoothie. I love mine so much I bought 3 more, one for every woman in my family. I can peel mangoes in one long strip. Ripe kiwis - no problem! The peels might be a little too thin on carrots and potatoes - it's hard to tell where you've peeled a carrot. But it's actually fun to peel them, so no worries.

I like the rotating head. For fruit I keep the blade facing me at a 45-degree angle, so I end up using the peeler like an effortless paring knife. But for carrots and potatoes I turn it so the blade's facing straight away like a regular peeler.

The only thing I can think of that would improve this peeler would be if, at the end of the handle, there was a hook or something to dig out blemishes or potato eyes. If it had that, I'd agree it's the Perfect Peeler. But even without it, this is definitely my peeler of choice. It's pretty expensive, but if you're going to use it often, I think it's worth it. And hey, it's not like you're going to buy them often. I've had mine for over a year, and there's no reason to think I'll ever have to replace it.
on May 18, 2010
I can't praise this product enough, as it is hands-down the sharpest and most convenient peeler I've ever owned. I was surprised that some reviewers felt that this wasn't the sharpest blade around. I've never used or seen anything remotely close to it.

I vaguely remember a reviewer saying that theirs broke, but didn't give it another thought until last night when mine broke too. I just called Kyocera, all it took was a quick internet search to find info about their 5 year warranty. Within three minutes they had taken my address to ship a new peeler......and never even asked me to prove my purchase. When I commented on that, the rep said "we trust you". So my replacement is to arrive later this week. Wow.

If it breaks once in a while, but Kyocera will replace it so easily, I'll keep on reaping praise.

FYI - Kyocera's customer service number for US and Canada is 888-700-7371
on January 23, 2012
I love this peeler for some vegetables; I hate it for others.
The sharp edge gets through the tough skins of butternut squash like nothing else I've ever used. It's pretty good for mangoes too. I don't much like it for carrots and cucumbers, as the peel tends to flip around and get caught back under the blade. I also don't like it for potatoes, as it's hard to use this peeler while drawing the blade away from my fingers. I either drop the spud or unconsciously rotate the blade until I find myself pulling towards my fingers instead of away. The blade is so sharp you don't even feel the cut at first...
I'd recommend this peeler if you need to peel large, round, tough skinned fruits and veggies. I'd stick with a conventional peeler for long, thin veggies and for all but the largest potatoes.
on October 31, 2009
I have had my peeler for about a year now...I love it. You need to use little to no pressure when peeling anything it's so sharp! Works great for making Parmesan cheese strips and chocolate ribbons.
It's a great gift for any foodie on your holiday list.
PS: and...NO RUST!
on December 26, 2012
After having the SAME potato peeler for 8 years, I was devastated when I lost it in during my last move. I loved that peeler. So...I wanted one just like it. Couldn't find one anywhere. So I started searching Amazon. I decided to try this one because the one thing I DIDN'T like about my last one, was that it would rust on the edges of the metal.
This ceramlic one came in two days and I absolutely love it! I glides through potatoes and carrots with ease and takes a nearly paper thin peel...and no rust worries. It's guaranteed to stay sharp for years. The price is right too!
on December 27, 2007
I gave this peeler 5 stars because you are able to peel from almost every angle you can think of. The ceramic blade is super sharp, it will never rust like all those other peelers.

Kycera Perfect Ceramic Peeler (Rotating) Red
on April 2, 2016
I've had one of these for 16 months now. It's REALLY sharp and does a great job as a peeler...but... After a while, the blade section starts popping off. The mechanism that holds it in place must have gotten a bit bigger over time. It's not a huge problem since you can put it back on easily, but still, a design flaw. Yesterday, the ceramic blade shattered while peeling carrots. The scary part is that if I hadn't noticed, there would have been a ceramic shard in my food. I figured the blades should be replaceable since they can pop in / out, but don't seem them online anywhere. Very disappointing that you only get a bit over a year of light use out of this.

4/2/16 - I've contacted Kyocera to see what they can do for me.