Your Garage Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Brett Dennen Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

Color: Yellow|Change
Price:$19.95+ $5.99 shipping

on March 7, 2007
When I say "one thing", I do not mean to slander this device as a unitasker. It will not julienne -- but I don't julienne anyways. It won't cut spiral slices from an onion, if you're cooking your way through Michel Richard's book -- but you can get a much better device for that strange task. Instead, Kyocera made a nearly idiot-proof slicer that Does What It's Supposed To. This is about 99% glorious and 1% terrifying. Read on.

It slices paper-thin (I believe the measurement is 2mm?) planes of whatever you run across it, and it does so very, very quickly. The biggest drawback of this device is also its biggest strength -- before you know what happened, your garlic clove or pear or potato is sitting in a pile on your cutting board, neatly reduced to loose-leaf, and if you are not careful, you will have to hunt around for the bit of fingertip that got lopped off by the exceptionally sharp blade. It slices anything you put in its path, which is exactly what it's supposed to do -- so don't slice your fingers!

The designers were not joking when they emblazoned the device, the package, and all the marketing materials with warnings about how sharp the blade is You might think the hand-guard would ameliorate this hazard, but you'd be wrong, except for boundary cases with big thick vegetables. And you'll find yourself using this for so many smaller or wigglier vegetables that you will eventually dispense with that thing, so Watch Out. It's SHARP.

I find the hand-guard / smoosher to be almost useless unless you have a big, wide vegetable with a vast expanse of firm flatness to poke it into. Mostly I end up using my fingers and paying as much attention as I can to avoiding the maw of the slicer. It *WILL* cut bits of your fingers clean off, and it's so sharp that if you have calluses as thick as mine (from climbing and lifting weights), you may think you've escaped without incident. Don't be so sure. Look for the telltale flat pink bit on the end of your fingers and FISH THAT OUT OF THE SALAD, you savage! Not that I would ever find myself in such a situation, oh no. But, uh, I've read...

In any event, this device looks like junk and works like a charm. I paid $10 for mine and I use it constantly. It Just Works. You should try it.
44 comments|76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 16, 2006
This is an excellent intro to a slicer -- a very good pre-mandoline purchase.

This isn't adjustible in it's thickness, so you get what it cranks out, which is very nice, thin slices, about 1/8". A great in a small apartment kitchen, it's very small and easy to store. It's also top-rack dishwasher safe.

The only thing I wish it had is a small guard to clip over the ceramic blade, so that it's stored safely...they are not kidding when they say the ceramic blade is SHARP!!! be very careful (and don't do the 'oh, i'll just run my finger on it to see how sharp it really is' test, like i did! ouch!).
on April 21, 2007
I just LOVE my Kyocera Double Edge Ceramic Slicer! I got mine for Christmas and have used it constantly ever since. Everything the other 2 reveiewers said is true: it's very sharp, it's easy to cut yourself, it's very easy to slice vegetables with it, etc. And yes, it's so sharp that I wish there was a way to cover the blade for storage as I'm sure that one of these days I'll reach in the drawer and cut myself on it. And yes, the "guard" is pretty useless, so I seldom use it.

Here's what I love about it:

1 - I can hold it with the handle with one hand and slice with the other - very easy to do and already a familiar motion if you have a standard grater you use.

2 - It slices while pushing the vegetable down AND on the up motion, since it's a double edge slicer. Makes it twice as quick to slice! Just gently move the vegetable along the slicer and back and it makes beautiful, paper-thin slices in both directions.

3 - I can use it for several different vegetables and I don't have to stop in between to unclog it or clean it. I have salads a lot and I regularly slice cucumbers and carrots fot this. It takes only SECONDS to slice up what I need for my salad.

4 - It takes almost no effort to slice with it. I don't have to apply a lot of pressure to the vegetable to get it to slice. The blade is so sharp that with very minimal effort the slicing is smooth and easy.

5 - It's so simple to clean! No moving parts. It's just a plastic thing with an extremely sharp ceramic blade set in it. Very easy to clean after slicing - you don't need to scrub and scrub at it - it almost gets totally clean just from rinsing it under the water.

I'm going to look for one which makes a slightly thicker slice to use for other slicing jobs now. And, I probably will think about getting one of these as a gift for my mom and my mother-in-law. I may try the adjustable one, but I figure that has a "moving part" and will be a bit harder to clean.....
on April 20, 2009
Before taking this bad boy out of it's packaging, read the warning! It notes you should always use the gripper when using the mandolin. It isn't just for grins, this thing is so dang sharp the tip of my finger is still missing! With that said, I've been a huge fan of Kyocera's ceramic products for years and this product while seemingly boring is a total blast. The day I got this I was cooking bacon and realized I had a lot of beautiful bacon fat just sitting in that pan. I got this bad boy out and went to town on a Yukon Gold potato and dropped those paper thin slices of Idaho's finest in that fat and made potato chips that would give Lay's a run for their money. The slices where so thin, so perfect, you really can't get much better than this mandolin. While I was looking at other options such as the OXO mandolin, I settled on this and the julienne slicer from Kyocera because I knew the performance of the ceramic blade was what I really wanted. I find myself using both the julienne slicer and the straight blade mandolins to cut things that I wouldn't normally cut so fine. I would recommend buying this and you wont be sorry. Just watch your fingers... Finger tips and scalloped potatoes don't mix.
on January 26, 2009
I echo the other reviewers. This is the greatest thing for thinly slicing hard vegetables - radishes, zuccini, carrots, onions, et al. They come out about 1/16 inch thick.

But darned - this thing slices so quickly you can go through a carrot in no time and slice off your fingertip! Ask me how I know.....

With this and an egg slicer for soft items (hard boiled eggs, mushrooms, pre-pitted whole olives, et al.) you can do darned near anything.
on June 14, 2007
A fast slicer excellent for small item and somewhat more difficult to use on average size items.
on November 29, 2008
This product is very worthy of all of the five star reviews. The slicer is so quick and easy to whip out of a drawer, slice, wipe with a soapy sponge and rinse or pop in the dishwasher. It is razor sharp and produces thin slices great for salad making on the fly and a host of other slicing duties. Even if you own a mandolin, this a must have just for convenience and quick cleanup. Yes, a storage guard for the extremely sharp blade would be nice and the slicing guard could be better but I haven't had too much difficulty getting it to function adequately. Overall, the Kyocera Double Edged Mandolin can't be beat for its excellent value and performance.
on August 20, 2015
I have already reviewed this product but I had not used it yet. It performs as advertised. It is very sharp and slices very thinly. It also slices on the down stroke and upstroke. It works much better than the more expensive one I have and rarely use. Easy to clean up too. Only wish it had adjustable blade to change the thickness of the slice. It slices VERY thin. Which is nice for a lot of things.
on March 3, 2009
The mandolin is practical, easy to use, and easy to clean. It doesn't take up much valuable kitchen storage space. For smaller jobs it is much more convenient than dragging out an electrical appliance.
on November 5, 2008
This handy little slicer is such a gem. Slices really thin, quick clean up and easy to keep around. An all around winner.Kyocera Double Edged Mandolin Slicer, Red

See 1 answered question