4.0 out of 5 stars For what it is - a simple phone - it is fine
I have had this very phone for almost 3 years now. Bottom line: if you just want to talk and do the occasional text message, it is great. Do not expect much else though, it is simply not built for that nor was it ever intended for crazy multimedia use.

A couple of caveats:
Published on September 16, 2012 by Joseph R

3.0 out of 5 stars hmmmmmmm, wow
Published 19 months ago by katiecat

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars For what it is - a simple phone - it is fine, September 16, 2012
This review is from: Kyocera JAX Prepaid Phone (Virgin Mobile) (Wireless Phone Accessory)

A couple of caveats:
- The web services, although not very useful with the phone, have a bad habit of activating without you knowledge. A simple call to Virgin fixes this for months at a time, but it does creep back. To Virgin' credit, the always rescinded and credited any charges that happened due to this issue.
- Volume in the earpiece is good, but a has diminished over time. Again, I have had this phone for 3 years.
- I see some people complain about battery life. This has not been my experience at all. In fact, this phone almost holds a charge *too* long! Because I never get the low battery sound except every 5 or 6 days, I forget to charge it.
- As it is not a flip phone, occasionally the buttons will depress when in your pocket. Not a huge deal but when I carry it around with other things in my pocket, it is constantly turning off and on due to this.

Look, for the price, this phone is great. Don't expect to be a text maven with it, but reception, battery life, audio and the other basics are good. While my phone has worn out n the past few years (mostly the buttons are unreliable), I am torn between sticking with the JAX or upgrading slightly. While I would like some more functionality, I would very much miss the simplicity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone, Great Value - For Calling and Texting, October 24, 2011
A. Greene (Alexandria, VA) - See all my reviews
Let me preface this by saying: I am hard on my phones. I often drop them, or have them dropped on the floor by my 4-year old. I use my phone all of the time for telling the time while I'm working, and often use other features like texting, consulting the calendar, writing little notes to myself, or using the calculator. It holds a charge pretty well, usually goes for days without needing to charge. Uses more battery power if you text a lot especially. They say this phone can use the internet, I don't have the plan with internet, so I cannot attest to this. But, whenever I whip my phone out in front of my hipster friends, they all fawn over it and remember when they had a phone like this- "it was the BEST!" sleek, you can stick it in your shirt pocket or bra easily, is very reliable and best of all only cost $9.99 including free shipping! Really, just try to beat it.

5.0 out of 5 stars FABULOUS PHONE, June 28, 2010
This phone is great. No static, easy to use, light weight, easy navigation, no dropped calls from Virgin.
Cons - long wait for customer service and no camera.

3.0 out of 5 stars hmmmmmmm, wow, April 14, 2013
I got this phone free from the government. It is very nice but I cant download ringtone or wallpaper. I can get on facebook and amazon and google. IF YOU ARE ON EBT, ON SSDI, MEDICARE, MA, SSI OR OTHER PROGRAMS YOU CAN GET 250 FREE TALK AND 250 FREE TEXT. you can update by purchasing larger packets, like I think its 20 for 1,000.00 minutes. I have 30 dollar a month unlimited. so I save 20 a month from my prior pre paid carrier. find out more online from assurance wireless.

2.0 out of 5 stars Weird Phone, August 9, 2013
This phone is just weird it will start going off non-stop as if you have a message but when you check it there's nothing. Sometimes I have to shut it off and then back on to get it to stop and sometimes it will just stop by itself. I have no clue as to what sets if off. This is not good because one time I ignored it and I did actually have a real message, crazy. I have 2 of these and they both do it so it's not like one of them is defective, they both are.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gets the job done., February 20, 2013
I just needed a phone for texting and this phone gets the job done well for the price. The only thing that got me was the fact that this phone only can use the paylo plans and I was bummed that it wouldn't do the texter's delight plan but it wasn't too big of a deal, just had to pay about 10 bucks extra. Phone is also super light! It felt like a barbie phone or something but I thought it was nice because I could easily shove it in my pocket or throw it in my purse. My purse already has too much crap in it so this phone was great because it didn't make it any heavier, hahaha.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT PHONE!, January 30, 2010
BOUGHT THIS TO REPLACE AN EXISTING PHONE I USED WITH VIRGIN MOBILE PREPAID PLAN. I AM NOT A BIG CELL PHONE USER AND FIND THIS MEETS ALL MY NEEDS. IT WAS EASY TO TRANSFER MY BALANCE FROM VIRGIN & LOVE THE SIZE OF THE PHONE. I WOULD RECOMMEND IT.

2.0 out of 5 stars This phone is junk, July 16, 2013
First off, let me say that if you're looking for a cheap bar phone for Virgin Mobile, go with the LG101. That phone is awesome. This JAX, however, where do I begin?

-Battery DOESNT stay charged for long
-Alarm Clock tool is horribly programmed --you can't shut an alarm off from the alarm-screen, you have to go all the way into the menu and do that. WHY??? lol...
-Want to browse websites or RSS feeds? The look and feel is almost disgusting (btw the LG101 allows you to use Opera Mini browser, which is very classy for such a simple phone.
-No T9, only 'Rapid Text' Mode- OMG!! Again...why?? It's horrible. The dictionary sucks and it's not even worth using...
-No customizable wallpapers available from Virgin XL...and the ones that come with the phone are lame.
-The battery cover is barely secured onto the back.
-There is no way to turn certain sounds OFF...even on SILENT mode...so in certain menus, when you reach the end of the options, a beep sounds off...NOT COOL!

I could go on and on...but I'll just say this: This is hands-down the worst phone I've ever used. I bought it because I like old-school type phones like this better than smartphones, but I'll have to try another one. This is the first phone I've ever bought that I almost IMMEDIATELY wanted to toss in the garbage. Don't buy this unless you don't care at all for any features except occasional phonecalls and texts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Replacemen, March 13, 2014
My daughter lost her cell phone. This was a good replacement for a low cost. Glad it didn't break the bank.

1.0 out of 5 stars HATE the REALLY POOR RINGTONE VOLUME !, November 20, 2014
SO-GLAD (Los Angeles) - See all my reviews
VERY LOW RINGTONES!

My elderly mom just received her new JAX and no matter what, she simply CAN'T HEAR this phone! We picked the LOUDEST possible Ringtones (somehow they are the ugliest sounds too), but that was of no help... In fact HERE is the problem.:

AS one reviews and SELECTS the Ringtones they sound quite acceptable in sound and volume. BUT AFTER the tones are set the volume is about 40% (of the sample volume) when the phone actually rings with a call! And yes, the Ringtone Volume IS set to "8" (the highest level possible).

*** I suspect this is a FIRMWARE problem that MUTES the Ringtones after selection because again, DURING SELECTION the volume is VERY acceptable; but once the Ringtones are SET you had better have the phone very CLOSE to you AND the ~ VIBRATOR ~ turned ON too! ***

I tried a Google search for the loudest possible Ringtone(s) for purchase, but NONE are offered.

Please know I will FORWARD a copy of this review to KYOCERA because I am more than confident this is a problem they CAN FIX with just a change of a line or two of Firmware edit!

Meanwhile this JAX goes back to the store.

SO-GLAD
you won't have to learn the hard way.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›