5.0 out of 5 stars Sharp stuff!
Published on August 30, 2007 by Lars Ensign

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice to use while they last.
Published on September 15, 2009 by Fun Guy

5.0 out of 5 stars Sharp stuff!, August 30, 2007
These knives took a little getting used to at first. They just have a different "feel" than my high-end steel knives. At first I thought I might cut myself but you get used to them quickly. It's almost spooky how easily they glide through food. You can make tomato slices so thin you can almost see through them! They are almost all I use - I'll wash and re-use my ceramic knives before going to the rack for a steel one. My only problem is my wife and squabble over who gets them when we are cooking together...

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice to use while they last., September 15, 2009
I have one of these and I must admit that they are heaven to cut with. Really, you have never used a sharper knife I can assure you. The blade is VERY brittle. no matter how careful you are you will chip and nick the blade. I must admit that even though my blade is chipped like crazy, after a year of use, this knife is still sharper than anything thing I have used. I have to maintain the edge on my Henckel Pro-s knives on a regular basis. At their best they are not as sharp as this damaged knife.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love My Ceramic Knives, February 7, 2010
(See my ONE YEAR UPDATE at the bottom of this review.)

First let me make it clear I do not own THESE ceramic knives, but I own some that are similar. I am writing this to help people to understand ceramic knives better. After looking around, I bought the Tachi three knife set (with black blades), mostly because I wanted more than 2 knives. I am not disappointed. In fact, these knives have become my preferred knives for almost everything.

Ceramic Knives are an up and coming thing, but they have advantages and disadvantages. I also bought some Stafford Worldwide Ceramic Paring Knives and I compared all of these very closely to the Kyocera Ceramic Knives, and I find them to be fairly similar. The Tachi knives are sharper than the cheaper Stafford Worldwide knives, but the Stafford knives are still quite sharp.

Advantages of Ceramic Knives:

1. They retain their sharpness for many years, far longer than any steel knife.

2. They are quite inert and do not rust or react to food and chemicals.

3. The blade, at least, can withstand very high temperatures, up to 1,400 Degrees F., and it doesn't hurt the blade. Whether the handle can withstand these temperatures is another matter.

4. The blades are lighter weight than steel.

5. Because of their lack of reactivity, these knives clean up fast and easily.

Disadvantages:

1. Though the blades are sharp and retain their sharpness, I cannot say they are sharper than steel blades. Certainly razor blades are sharper, as are surgical scalpels. A good, sharp carbon steel blade would also be sharper, so don't get confused or expect too much. The advantage is not that they are super sharp, but that they are quite sharp and they RETAIN their sharpness. A carbon steel knife will stay sharp for about a day of hard use. Stainless steel knives will stay sharp for weeks to months. These knives will stay sharp for years.

2. The blades are not STRONG. They are made out of Zirconium, the same thing that is in Cubic Zirconium, and Cubic Zirconium is a very hard substance, second only to Diamonds. But they lack the crystalline structure of the Cubic Zirconium. On a molecular level they are instead an amorphous ceramic, almost like glass, and though they don't dull easily, they will break VERY easily if put under any kind of twisting motion, side to side motion, or similar bending stress, or if they are struck against a hard object such as stone or bone. They also might break if dropped on a tile or cement floor.

I strongly recommend you ONLY use it to cut on plastic or wooden surfaces. Vegetables and boneless meat are the premier uses for these knives. Buy yourself a nice counter top butcher block knife holder to keep these knives in, and always hand wash the knives and put them back into the block. Don't leave them in the sink where they might get broken by heavy kettles or plates being placed on them.

Having said all of the above, if you want a sharp knife that will stay sharp and last for many years with proper care, then this certainly is something with which you could be happy. These actually are now the sharpest knives in my drawer, including sharper than several (older) sets of Cutco knives. I rate it four stars ONLY because of the general lack of toughness that ALL ceramic knives have, NOT because of any inherent defect in this product.

-----------------------------------------

ONE YEAR UPDATE. I have now (as of April 23, 2011) had my ceramic knives for over a year. They seem 'almost' as sharp as ever (probably 90 to 95% as sharp as they were at the beginning). However, despite excellent care, washing by hand, and NEVER using them to cut against bone or hard materials, my knives have developed some small nicks and 'divots' in the cutting edges. This is especially prominent in the largest knife. I have no idea how these nicks and divots occurred. I think they are just something that you need to expect with these knives. The 'defects' are quite small and seem to have minimal effect on the sharpness and cutting ability, but there is no question that they are there. Just be aware that this probably something you just need to expect with these knives. Sharp they are, but 'strong' they are not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Knives!, November 27, 2007
I am very impressed. These knives are sharper out-of-the box than my German steel knives, and have a lighter feel. Don't hesitate to buy these as a gift! The "gift set" presentation is great and the product is high quality. I will be buying more Kyocera knives in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome knives! worth every penny, February 3, 2010
i used to work in a restaurant while ago so i had a bunch of work knives in my "collection". after few years of cooking, i changed jobs so had no use for them anymore so i gave them to my wife to use when she cooks.

i was looking for christmas gift on Amazon and saw these on sale so i ordered her a set. when they came, they are OMG sharp!! they can cut thru things so easily i was almost afraid to give them to her because she might cut off a finger!! lol.. i told her how to use them and to avoid cutting meat with bones and DONT drop them!!
Now, all my ex-cooking knives are thrown in a drawer and these are the only knives she uses. after 2 years they are still as sharp as day i got them.

i would highly recommend these knives to anyone and they are worth every cent i paid for them! You cant go wrong with these knives! 5 stars all the way!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Knife which you CAN sharpen, November 26, 2010
This review is from: Kyocera Revolution Series Paring and Santoku Knife Set, White Blade (Kitchen)
I have this set and searched and bought at least 5 different supposed ceramic sharpeners that claimed to sharpen a ceramic blade. My wife just came back from a trip to Japan where she purchased a Kyocera battery powered diamond sharpener. Because of my previous experience, I was very skeptical until I used it and it WORKED!! Not quite as sharp as new but definitely much sharper than anything I had tried before. It also will grind out small chips in the blade (I did it). SO if you buy the ceramic knife , buy the Kyocera Ceramic battery powered sharper and you will be set. I know I hated thinking about having to send the blade back to the factory for sharpening. My brother ordered one and he is happy with it also.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kyocera Knives, June 14, 2008
There is only one word for this pair of knives -SEXY! They take the cake, literally. They are packaged nicely and cut so silky it's unreal. I just can't get over how sharp they are... If you buy these, you better get some extra fruits/veggies just to play with because they blow your mind so much that you just wanna play with food. REALLY! I wasted yet another cucumber tonight just mincing and slicing paper thin pieces. They are beautiful. You WILL NOT be dismayed if you are thinking about purchasing this duo. Cool videos on YouTube that tell you the history, so that's a plus. Happy shopping. These knives are just IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! These Really Work!, December 15, 2007
My assistant at the Inn, trained in culinary school in Paris, told me about these ceramic knives. I have a wonderful namebrand set of steel knives that she ribbed me about not being very sharp and that ceramic knives were better. I was curious, so ordered these to find out if they are as sharp and easy to use as she said. And now I can say first hand, that they are! I love cutting tomato slices that thin! Still need my steel knives for boned meat and bread cutting, but so glad that I ordered these for the fruits and veggies that we use so much of at the Inn.

2.0 out of 5 stars it is not what it is described in the product description, March 15, 2013
H. C. Ding (Manchester, NH USA) - See all my reviews
I bought a previous set of knife last year and it came with a black fitting box (as what described in the product description), i loved it and thinking about getting another set for my friend as wedding gift, guess what the new package looks like? in a very cheap looking plastic box, not even sealed by anything, the blade protectors are way shorter and barely cover the tip of the knives.

So if you want to change your package, which is perfectly fine and understandable for the sake of any reasons, please UPDATE your product description, do not use the old package image to present your product, which i consider it is a false advertisement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks like plastic, cuts like no other!, November 16, 2008
When we got the product and opened the box we were skeptical. The blades looked plastic...then we got out the produce and started cutting. We cut paper thin slices of apple and tomato and we were amazed. We have used them for all kinds of foods now-chicken, mango, peppers, apples, ginger, cilantro, etc. We are very pleased and would purchase again...don't forget to use a plastic or wood cutting board to keep your knives sharp (don't cut on glass boards).

Rate and Discover Movies