5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional set
Summary
-------
Advantages:
1) The sharpest commercial knife you can purchase
2) Will hold its edge much longer than carbon or stainless steel knives
3) Great ergonomics (nice handle and beautiful appearance)

Disadvantages:
1) Brittle blade
2) Can only be sharpened by the manufacturer

Overall:
Buy this set...
Published on August 23, 2008 by RiK

3.0 out of 5 stars Sharp, but not living up to the hype
I purchased this set with high expectations, looking for an exceptionally sharp pair of knives to help make cooking a bit easier and more fun. In all I'm only moderately satisfied with these knives.

Published on May 25, 2012 by Noah

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional set, August 23, 2008
This review is from: Kyocera Revolution Series Paring and Santoku Knife Set, Black Blade (Kitchen)
Summary
-------
Advantages:
1) The sharpest commercial knife you can purchase
2) Will hold its edge much longer than carbon or stainless steel knives
3) Great ergonomics (nice handle and beautiful appearance)

Disadvantages:
1) Brittle blade
2) Can only be sharpened by the manufacturer

Overall:
Buy this set

Detailed information and advice:
--------------------------------
A bit of background information if you are unfamiliar with ceramic knives. There are basically three types of knives you can purchase:

1) High stainless steel knives - Fairly sharp, hold their edge well, somewhat difficult to sharpen. These are the knives that you are most likely to purchase at a store. Prices range from very cheap to very expensive (I own a Wusthof set, so I know how expensive they can get).

2) High carbon steel knives - Very sharp, dull easily, easy to sharpen. These are the cheapest, easiest to sharpen, and lose their edge the fastest. These also tend to be used by professionals (I managed over 80 "knife hands" early in my career and this is all we used - people would dull on average 6 per day).

3) Ceramic knives - Supremely sharp, hold their edge practically forever, impossible to sharpen. Expensive, and prone to breaking if not used properly.

Most people purchase high stainless steel knife sets, and these are adequate for general utility. But it's not the best strategy for a well prepared chef to follow. The best approach is to have multiple knives and use them for specialized purposes.

Here's what you should do:

1) Buy this ceramic set. Use it for everything except boning, prying, and crushing. Under no circumstance should you ever use it for boning, as you will likely chip the blade (i.e no knife work that requires any prying or side-to-side motion). Hand wash, and don't drop on your tile floor. They will last you forever and you will wonder why you ever used anything else. (I've owned a 5" ceramic utility for almost 10 years and it still hasn't required sharpening).

2) Go to your local restaurant supply store and buy at several 6" high carbon steel boning knives. They are generally very cheap, and very cheap looking. Use these knives for general cutting and boning. Sharpen them frequently (a quick run over a steel after every use is best).

If you follow this strategy you will be amazed at what you can do with the ceramics, and you will also have the best (and cheapest) boning knives to decrease the chance that you'll ever chip one of your ceramics.

Hope this helps anyone who has stumbled onto this backwater Amazon page in their pursuit of the ultimate knife!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sharp doesn't even begin to describe the edge, July 3, 2008
hvacigar (Portland, Oregon United States) - See all my reviews
Be very, very careful. These are the sharpest knives I have ever dealt with. I have used it for fish, vegetables, boneless meats, and cheeses. You can make cuts as thin as you want, and the consistency of the cut is amazing. This set is a good introduction, and I am so happy with it that I plan on getting some of the other knives over time. The knives cut well and are very easy to clean...what else could you want?

3.0 out of 5 stars Sharp, but not living up to the hype, May 25, 2012

1) Sharpness: I was expecting the sharpest knives out there. They are indeed sharp, and right on par my regularly sharpened basic knife set. However, when it comes to true tests of sharpness these have let me down a bit. When cutting a tomato for example, I have to saw a bit to get the knife through the fruit. And with the classic "paper test" gently running the knife down a sheet of paper grabs at it before slicing in a half tear uneven fashion. I was happy to have the slightly above average sharpness, if only for its durability and not needing to sharpen as often. Then I purchased a Shun Premiere 8" chef's knife and the difference is night and day. These were supposed to be the sharper knives but the Shun is the one sliding gently through the tomato, whispering through a sheet of paper and nicking off hairs on the sponge when cleaned. I doubt that all of these reviews could be wrong, but I bet that the factory sharpening on these knives was average and I should send them in for a tune-up.

2) Feel: The handle is cheap and light plastic, not at all appropriate for knives that are attempting to be higher end. My hands slip a bit on them and it is hard to get optimal leverage on the knife for cutting tasks. It works just fine, but the balance just doesn't feel completely natural and I often find myself reaching for other knives that are a bit more comfortable.

3) Heft: These are the lightest knives I've ever owned. When I began my search for a new set of kitchen knives I think that I concentrated too much on sharpness. I'm sure that these have the potential to be amazingly sharp, however the light weight forces me to supply all of the force during cutting so even with a sharp edge the knife can't glide through the object but has to be pushed.

In sum, I'm using my Shun 8" chef knife for most of the kitchen tasks, with the Kyocera paring knife when a smaller blade is needed. I'll be sending these in for the ceramic sharpening when I can get around to it and hope to see some of that class-leading sharpness I was initially expecting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the blades hate the handles, January 30, 2009
I bought this set and the chef's knife. All three cut like a dream. I still am a little too cautious of the ceramic blades. And I don't leave them out due to my fear that someone will carelessly use them on my granite counter tops or use them to pry, twist, or in some other way use and destroy them. When I cook and have friends over they will be conversation items as some of my fiends are equally adept in the kitchen. So why the four star rating. The blades are great, but the light weight, plastic molded handles with an obvious mold seam, look and feel cheap. For the price and the blade quality why are the handles pieces of poorly molded/trimmed plastic? Love the blades, but really hate the handles

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Nice Addition To The Kitchen, November 8, 2008
Wow, these ceramic knives really are different and very useful. I bought this set in July, and to tell the truth I've only used the paring knife, as I learn about where I like to use them. My other Santoku knives are pretty good and I didn't do much prep in the kitchen over the summer.

OK so as they recommend these knives are somewhat restrained to straight cuts, but that is most of the food prep activity anyway. They take special care, and I am worried about what I'm going to do when they need sharpening, I'm so lazy when it come to sending stuff away for service.

While they are sharp though I have found the blade to be PERFECT for tomatoes and other vegetables, tomatoes are a high spot though. Another unexpected use is bread; slicing into a roll with these is nicer and easier than a serrated knife and creates a much nicer cut. Love it!

I have not been so excited about it with raw meat, but I need to experiment here a bit more. The one place I found it really didn't work that well was with cheese, especially the soft cheddar. It has no problem cutting, but the cheese sticks hard to the blade so it's difficult to complete the slice.

I really do like the ceramic knife, and the fact that they work different than the metal blades on some material is a bonus. If you have visitors or people who don't really appreciate kitchen tools, it's best to tell them these are off limits to them.

Happy Slicing!

4.0 out of 5 stars Sharpest Knives I've Used, April 6, 2012
As you can tell from all the other reviews, these knives are sharp. They are so sharp that I had to name them "the sharks".
I've been using them for about 5 months. Now, they are not as sharp as before. (Still sharper than my other knives).

Pro:
Extremely sharp. I could use them to cut a tomato into slices so thin that you couldn't even see them.

Design: Very good looking knives. I love the Black handle with dark blade. Make me look like a bad ass when I am cutting that potato in my tiny kitchen.

They come with free plastic protective sleeves which can be handy. Every time after I use it, I just wash it with hot water and some detergent. Then wipe them dry with kitchen tissues and put on the protective sleeves.

Con:
You can not sharpen them by yourself without purchasing the special kit (which cost about $60+). That's definitely a con.

Conclusion:
Not the cheapest knife out there, but definitely worth every penny. I just wish there is a easier way to sharpen them.

Update: I've used it for couple of months already, and like any blade, it's getting dull. There is no way to sharpen it by myself unless I purchase that expensive sharpener ($50?). Hopefully the manufacturer will sharpen it for free if I mail them back.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesomely Sharp Knives, December 15, 2010
I ordered this gift set from Amazon last year. It's an awesomely sharp knife for use on all fruits, vegetables, and boneless meat. I have also used it to thinly slice octopus and to skin "rocky mountain oysters".

For sharpness, it's a 5 out of 5 stars. But the knife will chip when dropped. I dropped it about 4 inches on a granite counter and found that the tip chipped. I understand that these knives will chip when dropped but I didn't expect it to chip this easily.

Visually, the knife is beautiful in black, but I found that the knife stains easily when cutting acidic fruits such as lemon, limes, and oranges. Not sure why because I wash the knives as soon as I finish using it. Also, the handle doesn't match the beauty of the blade, it's plastic and you can see the line where the two pieces were molded into place making it look "cheap". Not something I expect on a knife at this price range. It's a minor gripe.

All in all, I love this set.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fabulously sharp - great starter set., March 3, 2009
I have been using these knives for about a year and have been very impressed so far. I bought this set after being very impressed with my mom's Shun Classic knives but couldn't afford 120$/knife. For 80$ these are ALMOST as sharp and a great deal for everyday use in the kitchen.

If you have never used chef quality knives before you will be throughly impressed with this set. They are deceptively light when you pick them up - so it takes a while to get over the impulse that they are fragile. I have used them daily and they are still as sharp as ever.

Definitely recommended.

edit: I have come to use these knives less and less since getting a nice set of proper steel knives that can be sharpened. After I broke one cutting some chicken and had the manufacturer replace it I was never quite as vigorous with my usage.

2.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat disappointed, July 1, 2011
I have now used these for 6mo and able to give a review for the Kyocera Revolution Series. I am somewhat disappointed with the sharpness. I purchased the black blades and was wondering if the white blades were any sharper? The blades seem to be thick and are not what I expected in performance. I was looking for something very sharp. The paring knife seems to be sharper than the larger one. I find they are much over priced! I bought a high carbon Pure Komachi 2 for $10.00 that is like a razor blade! It is used everyday and has held an edge so far for 3mo. I understand sharpening the Komachi is easy ...which is a better option for me than sending it back to the company to have it sharpened. The downside to the Komachi is that it can rust if the painted surface is removed. Of ourse, when that time comes, I can throw it away and not feel that I have lost a big investment. I know comparing a high carbon knife to a ceramic knife is not comparing apples to apples....just saying that there are better knives out there for a lot less money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Ceramic Knives for the Price, January 21, 2010
I'll keep this review short. For the price, these are very nice ceramic knives. No, they are not as hair-splitting sharp as some of the extremely expensive ceramic knives, but for 1/10th the cost they will be far superior to the knives that 90% of people have in their kitchens.

The paring knife excels in peeling and slicing smaller items. The larger one is unmatched at slicing many things (tomatoes!).

If you need a small complimentary knife set, this is a good one. You don't want to have these as your main knives as being ceramic limits some of the usefulness (no hard chopping or crushing..) and they are a little small, but for a couple super-sharp complementary knives it's a tough set to beat.

Clean-up is super easy and I keep mine stored in the nice padded box they come in.