5.0 out of 5 stars The poor man always pays twice... well, maybe not this time.
I've only had this phone for a few days, but it seems to me that this phone is a solid, if not fantastic, value.

Background (skip this section if you want - I'm big on context)
First, I am new to smart phones - which is the customer profile that this phone targets. But not entirely. I lived overseas for several years for a few months at a time, constantly...
Published 22 months ago by Timothy

3.0 out of 5 stars Helpful Tips for this phone!
There are some issues that many of you are having with your phones. I figured out ways to cirumvent most of these problems.

1. Poor battery life: When the phone first gets activated/boots up, a diolouge pops up, informing you about the Connections Optimizer Service. You really have no option but to accept it. However, What you need to do after you accept it is:...
Published 16 months ago by Victoria MacKenzie-Richert

‹ Previous | 1 2 352 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars seems to be a good quality smartphone, September 14, 2012
This review is from: Kyocera Rise (Virgin Mobile) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I had brought this phone because I was paying $80.00 a month for my t-mobile sidekick and I just really wanted a cheaper prepaid plan. I always prefer prepaid plans and I think Virgin Mobile is one of the companies that pioneered the prepaid market into the industry.

this phone seems to be good. I am a very basic user, I just want my internet radio app to work, clear youtube videos, good sound for my mp3, good web surfacing, facebook( must have facebook) and most importantly of all, it must be compatible with my GOOGLE VOICE! app. that is my number and I can only have phones that use google voice. in all those functions, this phone preforms very well.

I wanted this phone particularly because of the slide out keyboard. the keyboard is spacey and comfortable, rubber not solid buttons. the CON is that i use my hands to hold the phone by its sides while I use my thumbs to type. the power button is on the side, of the portion of the phone with the keyboard. so I have a couple of times hit the power button while typing and having the phone slide out. this minor inconvenience is actually very upsetting, as I must remember and learn to hold the phone as to where my left hand does not press the power button while typing :-(

another big thing for me is the clarity and size of the screen. the apps and pictures are clear and comfortable to see. youtube videos and pictures from the web are clear and have crisp detail. this is a 3.5 screen although visually, it appears larger than my sidekick 4 3.5 screen, in part because the screen on the virgin mobile phone is almost edged to the sides. if you have good eyesight for seeing things up-close, the pixels are visible although it does not interfere with the screens clarity.

I brought this phone for the reliability factor! I trust the phone and network to not drop calls. the battery life is 8 hours of talk times and the apps are clear and function well. so basically, when I am downtown and lost, the google maps app will show me where I am and clearly how to get somewhere. the phone will work well for calling my friend to say im lost downtown and will be late. and the smooth streaming internet radio will work fine for listening to music as I walk around finding my way using the app.

i took the phone out of the box last night and it seems promising. I believe it is a good replacement for the sidekick 4. I wont notice the difference in function and ability, mostly just the price!

I held back on a star because of the brand! Virgin Mobile (this is just my experience) tends to make phones that appear promising at the display in the store, but when you take it home and open the box - it all falls to pieces. I have had a phone come out of the box jank'd, replaced it with the same phone and the replacement had a screen that would turn to static. their phones are like toys, they are made of plastic, give basic performance and the brand is popular among teenagers, as they can buy these phones themselves and pay for the minute cards with their own allowance. in fact, my first phone in high school was a $20.00 virgin mobile phone. so in truth, im waiting it out to see if the cheapness of the phone will show. but I have faith in this one.

is this phone a money saver? yes! but if it keeps up with my first impression, it is a very good and functioning android phone, giving me both my practical needs (txt, call, web, google voice and google maps) and my tech savvy needs (youtube, facebook, games, web surfing, apps, etc.

3.0 out of 5 stars Love the phone, but..... see update below, January 2, 2013
Dana C. Spencer "newscarver" (Winter Park (Orlando), FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kyocera Rise (Virgin Mobile) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I purchased this phone for my wife for Christmas to take advantage of the $50 price. I thought it was unlikely I would find a comparable phone as inexpensive and as good as this one anytime soon. I believe I was right. I really wanted to get it for myself also, but I did not have the budget for it. Fortunately for me, my daughter did and surprised me with the same model phone I surprised my wife with. Anyway, my phone replaces an LG Optimus V, which is a decent phone but antiquated by Android standards; it is under powered, slow and I was always bumping into the limit for installing apps to the phone memory. The Rise does not have these problems. It is very fast, and has room for all of the apps I installed on it. In fact, I was moving apps to the SD card and ran out of space on the SD card before internal memory. I got a bigger SD card, so I am going to start moving some of those apps back to the card.

There are two problems that bother me with my phone (my daughter purchased it at Best Buy, not Amazon). 1. It occasionally freezes when accessing wi-fi. At least that seems to be the common reason. It may be I overloaded it with apps, so I will see what happens after I move some of them to the card. 2. As has been mentioned by others, the camera stinks. Its not just that the quality is bad, it just does not focus, so I cannot use it to scan bar codes. I would not normally use it as a camera anyway, but I do like to scan products when I see something I like and I want to wish list it or look for a better price. So with this phone I have to manually enter the product ID.

I could live without the keyboard feature; Swype actually works quite well with this version of Android, and for me is faster than the keyboard. I have used it for reading Kindle books though, as the horizontal orientation is closer to a tablet view and I can use the arrows to navigate.

Sorry folks, this is the kind of review I hate to read; too wordy and not to the point. The bottom line is I like 99% of the phone and would give it 5 stars if not for the crappy camera and I may even forgive it the freezing. I may have a lemon, because my wife's doesn't freeze. But about all she has installed is Facebook and Skype. Oh, I forgot to mention battery life. Yes it is not great, but from what I have seen so far, no worse than the Optimus V. And I use Juice Defender, which helps alot.

For $50, which is what we paid for these phones before Christmas, this is a great phone. In fact even if the price goes back up to $100 I'd still say it is worth it, but I would be trying to find it at a lower price. Actually I am going to look for another phone with a better camera in the $100 range. I'll find one.

Update to this review:

I did ditch the Rise when my daughter got me an iPhone as part of a Sprint family plan. I am not happy with the plan cost, but the iPhone is a huge improvement over the Rise (of course it costs 10x as much). If I had it to do over again, I would save for the iPhone 5 on Virgin. But when the contract is up, I will go back to Virgin. I just hope the $35 per month deal is still around then. My wife still has the Rise, and she uses it everyday. It still crashes at least 2 or 3 times per day. Sadly, I would no longer recommend the Rise.

1.0 out of 5 stars Phone glitchy - Virgin Mobile Customer Service Terrible, November 20, 2012
This review is from: Kyocera Rise (Virgin Mobile) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
In September I ordered a Kyocera Rise from Virgin Mobile for approximately $100 plus shipping and handling. By the first week of October I emailed them to say the phone was faulty and did not work correctly. They sent a replacement that would not even turn on. I sent the replacement back. They were supposed to send a second replacement. On Nov. 20 I called to inform them I never received it. They told me it was on back order, which I suppose they expected me to know telepathically, as no one with the company actually notified me of this. Meanwhile, I am using a phone that turns itself off in the middle of texting someone and can only be turned on when I find an outlet and plug it in. I asked for a refund instead, rather than wait for a replacement to be available, particularly because Virgin Mobile customer service folks had no idea when I could expect one and also because the glitches on the phone were continuing to worsen to the point that it rarely ever turned on. I was informed a refund was no longer possible because 30 days had passed since I ordered it, despite having an email trail that shows I was trying to work with them for a replacement ever since I ordered it. All they offered in lieu of the bad service was to wait for a replacement (with no date when it would be available), accept a replacement phone of lesser value (a Venture currently on sale for $20) or accept a $35 to $45 credit in lieu of the $100 phone plus $20 in shipping costs. I have been with this provider since 2009, and once recommended them, but not after this. In essence, Virgin Mobile penalized me for trying to work with them for a usable product replacement. I will not use them again, nor will I recommend them. To top it off, it is very hard to understand what their customer service reps are saying on the phone, not because they have an accent, but because the connection is always bad. That should have been my first clue.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Amazing Device for $79.99!!!, November 6, 2012
This review is from: Kyocera Rise (Virgin Mobile) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
For people who hated this phone saying the quality wasn't up to par compared to their previous devices, I understand where you came from but, I mean, we're talking about an $80 phone here. I have been using this phone for 2 weeks now and I can say from my experiences that, at this price, this phone has exceeded my expectations in so many levels. The only con I find pretty frustrating (because there's not much I can do about that)is the battery life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good phone, December 21, 2012
This review is from: Kyocera Rise (Virgin Mobile) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Picked this up for $50 and for that price I am more than happy with it. I knew the screen resolution and camera were the weak points according to reviews but I really don't feel that they are that bad. I don't take many pics or plan on watching netflix on the whopping 3.5 inch screen anyway so I am good with it. Besides better equals bucks and since I wasn't sure of the coverage in my area I didn't want to chance spending much more on a maybe. Glad to say though coverage is fine, much better than AT&T, so unlike a contract phone I can upgrade whenever I want. Problem is I like this phone, keyboard works great, system is snappy and quick (no games), wifi connected seamlessly, and I actually like the heft of it. It is not some paper thin peice of plastic that I have to worry about cracking when I sit on or drop it. The only quirks I have come across is that wifi keeps turning itself on which uses battery more, the power button is in a bad place for texters, the owners manual is worthless, the touch screen is a bit to sensitive for my taste (getting used to it), and the google search bar needs to be someplace else as I keep activating it when i try to get my emails. Other than that I have nothing but good things to say.

A couple of notes: Those that say the screen goes off or the phone turns off while using the keyboard watch your left hand placement. It is very easy to hit the power button because of its position on the lower left corner of the phone(when turned sidways) which just happens to be where most folks grab the phone.

Also, for those that say phone powers on and off randomly. I found a web post where someone was experiencing a similar problem on this phone. It was caused by the battery losing contact and a small shim such as a match book cover cut to fit at the base of the battery (opposite the contact end) solved their issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT!, November 2, 2012
This review is from: Kyocera Rise (Virgin Mobile) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
This is much better than Samsung Intercept I had for awhile, this phone helps me out with a lot of things. Kept me up with college emails and what not. Wish this phone was out sooner. Greater sound quality to music and watching videos, there are endless of possibilities. Love this phone! I like this over Iphone since I'm more of an actual button user for texting and I do like touch screen but I got to have both. This is a win-win for me. I'm Deaf/HoH.

4.0 out of 5 stars I Love This Phone..., February 24, 2013
This review is from: Kyocera Rise (Virgin Mobile) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I bought my first "smartphone" 6 months ago from Virgin Mobile, prior to that I always had "dumb" flip phones. I bought the HTC Wildfire S as it was on sale for $64.99. I thought it would be cool to be able to use it for mobile check deposits, making my banking so easy by just snapping a picture of my check and sending it through. My HTC was perfect for that reason...however, I soon outgrew the HTC because of its low memory issue, and android 2.3. I was running only two apps, and barely had anything saved to the phone.

I was sick of having to clear out the cache several times a day, and the HTC always restarted or froze up on me. After many hours of reading reviews online, I decided to upgrade to the KYOCERA RISE. I found it on Amazon for the great price of $59.99...a $20 savings over VM's Valentine's sale price.

I AM SO HAPPY I CHOSE THE RISE. I wish this had been my purchase 6 months ago instead of the Wildfire S.

I have now had the Kyocera Rise for over two weeks...and I use the heck out of it. The first two days I really punished it with heavy use, just to see what it could handle, and if I would encounter any of the issues I had read about. The only issue I had was ONE time when it froze up, and I had to do a battery pull. I think it was my fault for watching so many YouTube videos...and using the phone all day.

This phone can be a bit confusing to figure out at first, like where certain apps are located, etc...but play with it or go online and find tutorials. Some people have also said the phone doesn't turn on unless connected to the charger. At first, I thought it was true, but I found I have to hold the power button down for a bit for the phone to power on.

So far, I have loaded 5 or 6 apps on the phone, about a dozen songs for ringtones, and a few pictures. The memory is so much better on this phone, and Android 4.0 is a huge improvement over 2.3. There is still plenty of memory left.

With that said, I don't think someone who is looking for an iPhone experience or has their heart set on the newest phone out there would be loving this phone like I do. You have to be realistic with what you are getting for well under $100. If you want a phone that handles tons of gaming, and other media then spend the dough on the newest phone capable of delivering what you want.

If you want a phone that will easily handle Facebook, YouTube, a bit of music, and a few games, then this phone is AWESOME. I also have a good 3g signal most of the time, which is helpful when my WiFi goes out at the house due to power outages. I live in a rural area where this occurs frequently, and I like being able to use my phone to check emails, Facebook, and pay a few bills when this happens.

Battery Life is ok...but I use the phone a lot. I expect that it won't last too long due to my heavy use of the phone.

The only reason I gave the RISE 4 stars is because I have not done mobile check deposit yet...I will update the review after I deposit my paycheck and let you know if it works. If Kyocera had put in a 5MP camera, instead of the 3.2 MP, and added auto-focus, then I would have given it 5 stars.

Bottom Line: If you don't have iPhone expectations, and use a modest amount of apps then I think this phone is rather suitable for you. I text often as well, using the slide out keyboard and Swype, and sometimes the voice texting feature which is great if you speak slowly and clearly. Call quality is good...clear and loud enough for me. I also use it a lot for Slacker Radio, and the external speaker is pretty loud. My alarms are loud too, which I like because I sleep very soundly.

Would also like to add that it is possible some people bought this phone, and experienced problems because they had a "lemon". I was very afraid I would receive one from a defective build, and am very happy my phone is functioning properly. The only other problem you may encounter is with Virgin Mobile service, which is not up to par for many people at the moment. I had reservations about buying the Rise for that reason, but VM fixed their service in my area at least. I'm sure issues on that end of things will subside after Sprint finishes their build out/upgrades to towers.

Thanks for reading this long-winded review...I hope it helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTELY! Yes I love this phone., December 8, 2012
This review is from: Kyocera Rise (Virgin Mobile) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I love this phone. A brief intro about me and cell phones. I have never owned an Android touch phone. I've always been pretty cheap when it comes to cell phones. Just to give you an idea: My last cell phone carrier was Cricket and I had a Huawei Pillar phone. So a Kyocera Rise on the Virgin Mobil network was a HUGE step up. I saw the Kyocera Rise on Amazon.com and would check periodically for several days as the price went down. I finally bought it at $65.00 and I'm so glad I bought it.

The good things I like about the phone:

The size- It fits right in my pocket. I was afraid I'd break it but it's not a concern now.

The screen size- It's not too big but is perfect for me. I've seen other phones with huge screens and I wouldn't like that.

Easy access to apps.

It's very easy to set up and you can even transfer your old number to Virgin Mobile. Be sure when you go to their website: virginmobileusa.com to pick the one that says you want to transfer your number. I picked the one that said I was a new customer and wanted a new number.I was still able to transfer my old number but it was a hassle as I had to speak to a Live Agent at VM but it worked out.

This phone responds very well to your finger and adding or deleting apps is a breeze. What I do is delete the apps I don't use and if I download an app then get bored of it, I just delete it. That way there will always be memory on my phone.

I've owned this phone for about five days and the only thing that has gone wrong is I turned on WI-FI and was doing several other things on the phone and it froze. I took out the battery and put it back in and it's been great since.

I recommend using WI-Fi when downloading apps as it seems faster than 3G but that's just my opinion.

I also recommend downloading the Trend Micro Longevity app to help save your battery life. It turns off everything except texting, answering/receiving calls and you can turn it all back on easily with this app should you want to get back to your apps again.

Hope this review helps those who want this phone but are a little skeptical like I was at first. I'll update as I spend more time on this phone and see how it goes. Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars A better camera, and it would be perfect, November 13, 2012
This review is from: Kyocera Rise (Virgin Mobile) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I just switched to Virgin Mobile recently. It's the best value in cell service on the market. Easily. I went with this phone because the price, and the fact that it has a QWERTY keyboard. I'm a sucker for a physical keyboard.

The phone is snappy quick. It has a 1GHZ processor and a dedicated GPU. It breezes through ICS like silk. No lag whatsoever. I can even play some 3D games on the phone. Bonus. The speaker is loud and clear, the OS is not loaded with too much bloatware, and ICS is a robust, lean OS. It's way better than any of the Android 2.X operating systems.

Also, the phone is durable. I've dropped it many times, and instead of looking like a shattered, useless brick like some other phones, ahem...It sustains the impact and keeps on working.

My biggest gripe with this phone is the Camera. It's garbage. 3.2MP, no autofocus (rendering apps like barcode scanner useless), and the video camera doesn't go at a full frame rate. It does have a flash, which is nice, but otherwise...complete crap.

I still recommend this phone.

3.0 out of 5 stars I would keep it forever if it were built to last., June 13, 2014
This review is from: Kyocera Rise (Virgin Mobile) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
The headline says it all. I did (and still want to) love this phone. Before it fell apart beyond repair and began to no longer function, it was a great phone. The great slide-out keyboard was almost worth all the headache because I can't (with a capital C) get the hang of on-screen keyboards. Not even one word comes out right, so I was really excited to have this keyboard and my fingers fly through texts.
The hundreds of people saying that this phone can't do anything without crashing are correct. I've tried deleting apps, clearing cashe's on a daily basis, I even transferred my photos to a computer and did a factory reset on the thing, and it still can't do anything without crashing.
Turning on wifi causes a 5 minute crashing ordeal every time, without exception. The phone has no choice but to turn off, and sometimes you just have to pull the battery. HUGE wifi bug.
Every app I open as of lately, either puts me right back to the home screen or says "This app is not responding." And I can either press ok or wait.
Maybe the biggest problem of all is the flawed design of the keyboard and screen. Once it starts to detach you'll have to be prepared for weekly tightening of the screws, and you'll have to find a tiny screwdriver that fits. I suggest maybe the ones in the eyeglass repair kits... Unfortunately 2 of my screws recently got lost so now my screen is hanging on by just a few screws.
I ordered another phone that's arriving next week and I'll have to learn how to type on the screen.

I love the feel and keyboard of this phone but it's REALLY not built to last.

‹ Previous | 1 2 352 | Next ›