5.0 out of 5 stars Very good purchase !
Published on June 22, 2004 by Andrew Liang

3.0 out of 5 stars Good still image but VDO not as good as acvertised
Published on February 5, 2004 by Sumpun Wongnawa

3.0 out of 5 stars Good still image but VDO not as good as acvertised, February 5, 2004
Sumpun Wongnawa (Hat Yai, Songkla Thailand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kyocera S5R 5MP Digital Camera with 3x Optical (Electronics)
I bought Kyocera S5R mainly because of its capability to record VDO at 640x480 pixel at 30 frames per second until memory filled up. The fast still image capturing at 3 frames per second is an added bonus. Kyocera suggests that high speed SD card should be used , the one with transfer rate about 10 MB/s. I used the Panasonic 256 MB SD card which has just that speed but had never been able to do non-stop shooting until the memory filled. The camera stopped about 1 minute or so , obviously just could not handle large amount of VDO data all at once. When it stopped shooting the red light was blinking several more seconds to show that the data were being processed. Then you have to start shooting again if you want more VDO. In short , it could not do continuous shooting till memory full as advertised.
In general the still images taken by this camera were of really good quality , except in some instances with flash. I wish Kyocera could add the function to adjust the flash , i.e. , low-medium-strong , instead of just one fixed mode which seems to be too strong , many of my shots were overexposed.
The battery life is at best an average or on the lower than average side.
The LCD monitor should have more pixels.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good camera when it was working, January 16, 2004
Camera was great for a couple of days; good pictures outdoors, super fast shot-to-shot time, some problems in low light conditions. Easy menus and ergonomics, but beware, some wrong information in the manual.
The fatal problem was that the SD cards kept corrupting after using the camera for any length of time. No matter the brand, speed, or capacity of the card, it happened consistantly and without notice. Turning off the camera to let it "cool" was the only way to get it working again (reset didn't work).
Interestingly, the picture on the LCD always looked great after the shot, but when you reviewed them later, surprise, the pics would be corrupted.
Kyocera support was marginal, got back to me with form emails really. Never did get to talk to a live person. Camera went back, and it would be tough to convince me to buy a Kyocera product again; definatly not in the same league as the big boys (canon, nikon, sony, etc)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good purchase !, June 22, 2004
Andrew Liang "Ex-Parte" (San Antonio, TX United States) - See all my reviews
The Kyocera S5R is quite the complete camera. Like one of the other reviews said, it rises above the rest when taking action pictures (for examples, kids in a soccer game). It comes with good software, cables. Very easy to connect to TV and computer. Controls are easy (worst case, a quick read through the reference card should get any one set.) Its only down side is from what I was told from an SME, is the night pictures. So again, I was very happy with my purchase. My pictures from my vacation look really nice. Good luck.

5.0 out of 5 stars speed and quality, June 8, 2004
"stefchu" (rockville, md United States) - See all my reviews
I had a 5 megapixel sony that had an optical finder and gave it to my brother when he was visiting because his broke.
I read about the s5r but did not see many owners or reviews or samples.
I took a chance and was pleasantly surprised! I now always have a camera in my pocket.
The camera is fast! and unlimited 5 megapixel pics is more than my 717 can do.
But to keep the camera tiny, the manufacturer decided not to put a fan in the computer bay. (Which explains the heat produced)
This is a little performer that just wants to burn itself up for you.
I am pleasantly surprised at the quality see pbase.com/stefffanovich

1.0 out of 5 stars will not buy Kyocera again, October 5, 2005
My main complaint is the battery. At first battery life was average, but at least working. Now (less than a year later) I might be able to take 5 pictures before the camera says "battery low" and shuts down. You are not given any warning - as soon as it says "battery low" your photo time is done. I also did not like that photos are not numbered. If I want to go back to a certain picture, I have to remember where in the lineup it is and just scroll through pics - I much preferred my numbered pictures on my old Olympus. I think I will be returning to Olympus products this go-round.

Kyocera S5R 5MP Digital Camera with 3x Optical