5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome story!
Published on September 22, 2011 by maggie

3.0 out of 5 stars Drugs are Bad...mmmkay.
Another Kindle freebie. I actually did like this one more than I initially though. I was worried that it was going to be either a gore fest (as some addiction novels are) or overly preachy. And while the end was a little too much to handle with the preachyness (well, stuffing statistics and AA platitudes down your throat) it was a mostly decent book.

I liked...
Published 13 months ago by Nikole Owens

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome story!, September 22, 2011
This review is from: L.A. Ice (Paperback)
I loved L.A. Ice!! It is an incredibly sweet and incredibly bittersweet love story set amidst the serious reality of addiction and recovery. As an addict in recovery, I was anxious to see how this very difficult and complex subject would unfold and if the story would be realistic. I was not disappointed. I was able to identify with the characters from the very first page and could feel the pulls of the disease in each of them. The story starts out with the main characters, Stevie and Michael, waking up in a rehab under completely different circumstances and most certainly not by choice. Stevie is a young woman who has totally lost her way, stuck in the throes of the disease of alcoholism, unable to do anything but drink herself into oblivion - not even aware she has a problem. Michael is an amazingly gifted musician who loves the rush of methamphetamine (a.k.a. L.A. Ice) as much as he loves the rush of striking the perfect chord on the strings of his guitar to a screaming audience. Stevie and Michael are immediately drawn to each other and over the course of their stay at rehab, discover that perhaps they could love something other than their drug of choice. I loved reading how their tender relationship blossoms during their time together at the rehab with the promise of a bright future together once they are both clean and sober. The twists and turns of life after rehab for these two young lovers is heartbreakingly real and even as I finished the book I was wishing it wouldn't end. I highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, September 22, 2011
This review is from: L.A. Ice (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed reading L.A. Ice, the debut novel by Kathleen Ready Dayan. From the opening page I was hooked. I found Ms. Dayan's portrayal of addicts, addictions and the fall out that often occurs to be very accurate and believable. The symbolism that the author uses from the title of the book to the lily made the story that much more important and significant. Stevie and Michael are characters that will stay with me for a long time and I am hoping there will be a sequel in the near future!

4.0 out of 5 stars a graceful, moving story, February 23, 2013
Sam Standard (Boston, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: L.A. Ice (Paperback)
This is a beautiful, moving tale about addiction and the many forms it takes in our world. The characters are incredibly genuine and sympathetic--the type that stick with you long after you finish reading the book. I've read several other accounts of life in rehab and its aftermath, but L.A. Ice is so much more graceful. Never does it get preachy or didactic--it is a novel, first and foremost. The fact that it also offers guidance and inspiration to people dealing with addiction is almost a bonus. This isn't to say that L.A. Ice paints a rosy picture, because it doesn't. It's sad, gritty, and realistic--a story that should appeal to any reader who appreciates well-written, original fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this novel!!!, September 21, 2011
This review is from: L.A. Ice (Paperback)
I have read L.A. Ice twice. Each time I found something new to appreciate. The story of the struggling, young female alcoholic, Stevie, held my attention from the opening page to the final sentence. This isn't just a novel about a girl trying to realign her life during her stay at a rehabilitation center, it is also about the connections she makes along the way and the friends she can only pray will recover too. I had a hard time putting this book down because of the deep connection between Michael and Stevie. It is a love story you wouldn't expect in a novel about addiction. Overall, I was enraptured by the characters and the journey. Not only is it touching and inspirational, it is also illuminating of our culture and the demons people fight every day. This novel is definitely worth a look, or in my case, two. I couldn't recommend it more!

3.0 out of 5 stars Drugs are Bad...mmmkay., November 18, 2013
This review is from: L.A. Ice (Kindle Edition)

I liked the characters. I think in some cases they were a little cliched but for the most part I did find that it was over the top. The plot at least seemed plausible, or at least as plausible as someone who's seen a few episodes of Intervention can put together.

1.0 out of 5 stars Use in appropriate language, September 18, 2013
This review is from: L.A. Ice (Kindle Edition)
This is a beautiful story about truths being an addict , it would be even more beautiful if the foul language had been left out. We are the temple of Christ through His 33 years I read no where does He use foul language to express His life. We as His image should choose to same
God bless

4.0 out of 5 stars gripping, January 17, 2012
This review is from: L.A. Ice (Paperback)
L.A.Ice is a very gripping love story set in the throws of alcohol and methamphetamine rehab. The story is captivating in its truths, which are not always pretty, as well as its portrayal of unflinching love in such raw circumstances. The book is an entertaining education for all of us. I highly recommend Kathleen Ready Dayan's first novel and am personally already hoping for and looking forward to her second one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!!, February 21, 2014
This review is from: L.A. Ice (Kindle Edition)
I wasn't sure what to expect when I started this book. I downloaded it awhile back and forgot about it. I almost put it down when I realized it was about drugs. My brother was a meth addict and although he's sober now the wounds that his addiction brought to my family are still deep. I wasn't expecting a love story and that's one of the reasons why this book is so good. I wanted the ending to be happy but I'm glad the author stuck to the facts about drug abuse and addicts. This is one of the rare books I've read that will stick with me for a long time. Highly recommend!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exquisite and real, January 8, 2014
This review is from: L.A. Ice (Kindle Edition)
This book is enough. Enough details to understand, but shared sparsely. Enough to provoke thought, but not to evoke nightmares. Enough character development to care about the individuals, but not so much that they overwhelm the story. Well done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful even though fiction, December 22, 2013
This review is from: L.A. Ice (Kindle Edition)
Even though this book is fiction it helped me learn some interesting information about someone that is in recovery. I think anyone that has ever had anyone in recovery should read this book especially if they have been in a rehab.

L.A. Ice
L.A. Ice by Kathleen Ready Dayan (Paperback - September 15, 2011)
$11.95 $10.54
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.