4.0 out of 5 stars It works for my curls...and it does contain parabens...
Published 20 months ago by FT

1.0 out of 5 stars FAKE PRODUCT
This is not the real LA Looks gel. It came in the mail and the packaging was clearly fake. The bottle did not look like the LA Looks bottle. The labeling was fake.

Very misleading. Should not be allowed to sell black market items
Published 7 months ago by Roxana Samimi

4.0 out of 5 stars It works for my curls...and it does contain parabens..., January 6, 2013
FT (California, USA.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: L.A. Looks Nutra Curl, 20-Ounce (Pack of 3) (Misc.)
I am using this gel until I can fully transition into my natural curls gel free. On the plus side, it is so cost effective: under $9 for 3 bottles! also, it does allow my curls to keep their shape and when my hair is dry. Note: it does have some crunch to it when hair dries. I can "break" the crunch very easily by crunching my hair with my hands, and the hair does feel soft after breaking the crunchy layer. FYI: I have dry, high porosity, mix of 3a and 3b curls, currently past my shoulders.

On the negative side, besides the crunch aspect, it also has some chemicals on the list of ingredients, particularly Methylparaben. (Ingredients as listed are: water, PVP, Polyquaternium-11, carbomer, panthenyl ethyl ether, PEG-11, avocado glycerides, Phenoxyethanol, Aminomethyl propanol, PEG-40 hydrogenated castor oil, PPG-5-ceteth-20, Methylparaben, propylene glycol, Disodium EDTA, Benzophenone-4, Methylisothiazolinone, Parfum)

Background story of my hair, in case it helps you figure out if this will work for your hair. For the last 2 years I've been using Pantene: cowash with pantene conditioner every other day and wash with Pantene shampoo once a week. Only mild rinse after Pantene Cowash, so that some of it is left in as a leave in. Post shower, I used only Pantene curls mouse and then separate my curls diligently, then don't touch my hair until it dries completely, air dry. Once dry, "break" the crunch from the dried mouse with my hands. This worked very well for nicely defined, frizz free curls. This is a fairly cost effective method for me. The only reason I am changing it is because I am trying to get into natural products and get rid of the chemicals that are the main ingredients in Pantene products and others.

So currently I am using this Nutra curl gel as part of a different routine: Shampoo once a week with Shea-Moisture-ORGANIC-Coconut-Hibicus curl and shine shampoo. This stuff smells great, and cleans deeply. Awesome list of ingredients. If I use it more than once a week on a my dry, high porosity hair, I need to deep condition to compensate the in-depth cleaning. So right now I only shampoo with this once a week. Otherwise it's just plain water from the shower while massaging my hair thoroughly. Then I do an apple cider vinegar rinse: 2 TBSP apple cider vinegar into a plastic 2 cups measuring cup filled with water from the shower. I pour this vinegar rinse slowly all over my head and make sure it soaks my hair really well. UNBELIEVABLE how it is so easy to run my comb through my mane after this vinegar rinse. Then a quick rinse with regular shower water (not too much, just a quick rinse)

After shower, I use a homemade natural "spritz" as a leave in conditioner (I mix 8oz water + 8oz Lily of the dessert aloe gel + 2 tbsp jojoba Oil + 10 drops tea tree oil all in a plain old spritz bottle. Shake it up, and it's an awesome leave in conditioner!) After spritzing my hair thoroughly with this home made spritz, I am currently using the LA looks nutra curls gel to shape my curls with my fingers.

So far this is working out well. Next up, I am gonna play with natural shea butter mixtures and see if that allows me to get rid of this gel. There's a bunch of "how to whip shea butter" videos on the net and you tube, So I am gonna be trying that soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars KLO73, April 9, 2011
This review is from: L.A. Looks Nutra Curl, 20-Ounce (Pack of 3) (Misc.)
I perm my hair but I don't like perming too often. This product helps my perm to last twice as long. I have used other products to help preserve my perm and this is the one I like the best for my needs.I do home care and so I am in and out of steamy bathrooms all day long and this product does GREAT!!

5.0 out of 5 stars COULDN'T BE HAPPIER!!, June 17, 2012
This review is from: L.A. Looks Nutra Curl, 20-Ounce (Pack of 3) (Misc.)
I have 3b/c curls, and the 3b curls are terribly fragile. The natural state of my hair is a big frizz ball...not attractive. I found myself using handfuls of EcoStyler, and just not seeing any defined curls...not to mention ending up with a head full of crunchy hair. I tried this gel, and WOW!! Curls sprang up Everywhere!! My curls were totally defined, and my hair is soft and touchable. My WnG's are Perfect, and easy...And no frizz by the end of the night either! Love It!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 15, 2014
This review is from: L.A. Looks Nutra Curl, 20-Ounce (Pack of 3) (Misc.)
can't get enough of this stuff for my curly and unruly hair!

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't find this anywhere anymore, April 7, 2014
This review is from: L.A. Looks Nutra Curl, 20-Ounce (Pack of 3) (Misc.)
I love this stuff. It's the only styling product I've been using on my curly hair for years and it is so hard to find. When I saw it for a decent price on Amazon for 3 bottles, I went for it!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good, cheap gel, March 27, 2014
This review is from: L.A. Looks Nutra Curl, 20-Ounce (Pack of 3) (Misc.)
This gel held up even in the most humid of climates. I have thin hair with curls of all shapes and sizes. Frizz and lack of volume are particularly problematic for me. So, anyway, this gel defined my curls and cut out most of the frizz. Along with this gel, I also used the Suave spray gel for curl definition. Underneath, I used some Argan oil+ Giovanni Leave in Conditioner. I know this seems like a lot of stuff, but my hair needs it.

1.0 out of 5 stars FAKE PRODUCT, February 15, 2014

Very misleading. Should not be allowed to sell black market items

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!!!, January 9, 2014
This review is from: L.A. Looks Nutra Curl, 20-Ounce (Pack of 3) (Misc.)
I'm extremely happy with this product. Finally I found something that works on my hair. It was everything that I expected.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for curls, December 15, 2013
This review is from: L.A. Looks Nutra Curl, 20-Ounce (Pack of 3) (Misc.)
Leaves hair soft but tames curls, besides it's the cheapest you can find an believe me I've tried everything!! The only drawback, it's impossible to get in stores. Thank you Amazon!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best gel I have use ,, perfect for my type of wild hair .., November 13, 2013
This review is from: L.A. Looks Nutra Curl, 20-Ounce (Pack of 3) (Misc.)
I have used many kinds of gel I have very fine hair and therefore uncontrollable when dry !! for my hair gel is a must !! or on the street I'm an imitation of Albert Einstein ,, too bad I do not have also His genius mind !!! ..

L.A. Looks Nutra Curl, 20-Ounce (Pack of 3)
$8.97 $8.25